GUILTY IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #50

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
MAY 28, 2021
Mollie Tibbetts: Jury deliberations resume in trial of farm worker accused of killing Univ. of Iowa student - CNN
An Iowa jury resumed deliberations Friday in the murder trial of a farm worker accused of abducting and fatally stabbing 20-year-old college student Mollie Tibbetts in July 2018.

[...]

But in testimony Wednesday, Bahena Rivera -- speaking through an interpreter -- told a very different story. He said two masked mystery men kidnapped him, forced him to participate in their plot to kill Tibbetts, threatened his family and told him to remain silent.

In closing arguments, prosecutor Scott Brown dismissed that testimony and said it did not fit with the evidence.

"There weren't two other guys. That's a figment of his imagination," Brown told jurors. "All of the credible evidence in this case points at him."

[...]

Defense attorney Chad Frese said the prosecution had no murder weapon, no crime scene, no eyewitnesses, no confession, no motive and no scientific evidence to prove his client's guilt. He said Bahena Rivera's original statements to investigators were made under duress during an 11-hour interrogation.

[...]

The prosecution based its case on three key aspects: surveillance video of Bahena Rivera's vehicle near Tibbetts, his admissions to investigators in August 2018, and her DNA found in his trunk.

"When you put this evidence together, there can be no other conclusion than that the defendant killed Mollie Tibbetts," Poweshiek County Attorney Bart Klaver said at the start of the trial.

[...]

He testified he was taking a shower when two unknown, masked men broke into his trailer and demanded his help. One had a knife and the other had a gun, he said.

He testified that they forced themselves into his black Chevy Malibu and told him to drive toward town. That was when he said they came across a young woman he now knows to be Tibbetts.

Bahena Rivera testified that he was told to stop, while the man with the knife exited the car. He said both men then got out of the vehicle and he heard them opening and closing the trunk. When the men left, he said he found Tibbetts' body in the trunk of the car. He said he took her body out of the trunk, placed her in a corn field and covered her body with corn stalks.

Bahena Rivera said he didn't know why the men sought his help. He testified that he falsely confessed to police because he feared the men would harm his daughter and ex-girlfriend and because he thought telling investigators what they wanted to hear would help him.

I don’t like the way CBR’s female lawyer leads all testimony.
“I want you to say this, that and the other thing. Is that correct?”
“… and you’re telling me exactly what I want to hear. Is that right?”
“You believe it’s important that…. Is that right?”

All the witness has to say is, “Yes.”
I agree. Those are leading questions and the prosecution could have objected to them and the judge would have stopped it. It was a bit weird to see that go on and on.

The more I think about this....now I'm kinda paranoid because of the "but he's a good person" instruction left in the jury instructions. I was listening to an attorney on CourtTV this morning talking about it, saying there is no basis in Iowa law for that to be allowed in the jury instructions.....
You know, maybe at his foundation he isn't a bad person, and that should be acknowledged. The way I've looked at it is if she was killed in a kitchen with a steak knife, maybe I'd consider it was impulsive on his part to pick up the knife and stab her in a rage.

However, he was following her with his car, which means he had to get into out of that car, which means the knife had to be a forethought (unless he always carried one in a sheath on his belt, but I don't recall seeing that in his super suave selfies). Even if he always kept a knife in his vehicle, why would he grab it before he got out if not to do her harm? Willful. Deliberate. Pre-mediated.

That night, no matter his usual demeanor, he was very, very bad.

Last edited:
The more I think about this....now I'm kinda paranoid because of the "but he's a good person" instruction left in the jury instructions. I was listening to an attorney on CourtTV this morning talking about it, saying there is no basis in Iowa law for that to be allowed in the jury instructions.....

Yes, I saw that too and it is worrisome.

No, he can still make that same stupid argument. In fact, he will pretty much HAVE to stick to it, but in a retrial the prosecution will then be ready for it.

I meant will he have the option to change his mind about that ridiculous story and just not testify and then the State won't be able to mention it? But it sounds like you're saying no, he would not have that option.....is that right (said in my most long and drawn-out Jennifer Frese voice)?

You know, maybe at his foundation he isn't a bad person, and that should be acknowledged. The way I've looked at it is if she was killed in a kitchen with a steak knife, maybe I'd consider it was impulsive on his part to pick up the knife and stab her in a rage.

However, he was following her with his car, which means he had to get into out of that car, which means the knife had to be a forethought (unless he always carried one in a sheath on his belt, but I don't recall seeing that in his super suave selfies). Why would he grab a knife if not to do her harm? Willful. Deliberate. Pre-mediated.

Predatory behavior.

I'm going back through the media thread because yesterday I know I saw something about CBR's lawyer being a friend of the family and also something about knowing of them through church. Anyway, I found this that was posted in the days after his arrest. So his baby momma's family said they talked about this after the event and it sure seems like he didn't mentioned being scared for his family to be harmed by the 2 sweater wearing masked men then.. not a mention of him acting different or paranoid or overly protective of his ex and daughter in the weeks after.

Attorney for Mollie Tibbetts' suspected killer Cristhian Rivera fights back

In addition to speaking to Richards, Fox News on Thursday interviewed the aunt of Iris Monarrez — Rivera's ex-girlfriend and the mother of his daughter, who went to high school with Tibbetts.

The aunt said that Rivera — whom she described as a good father to his daughter — lived with Monarrez until about a year and a half ago, when the couple broke up. Monarrez has since moved out of the area.

"He was a good person. He was a jokester," the aunt said of Rivera, through a translator. "For us, he was a good and normal person. Not aggressive or violent, no. He was normal just like us."

Relatives, according to Monarrez's aunt, "can't believe" Rivera's alleged involvement, and said they were hoping "it's probably an error and we'll wake up from this nightmare."

In the weeks when Tibbetts was missing, Rivera didn't act differently, the aunt said. She added that when the family would get together, "we would talk about the situation," and Rivera "would comment as well and we would all say that we were surprised and scared because this is a quiet town."

However, he was following her with his car, which means he had to get into out of that car, which means the knife had to be a forethought (unless he always carried one in a sheath on his belt, but I don't recall seeing that in his super suave selfies). Why would he grab a knife if not to do her harm? Willful. Deliberate. Pre-mediated.

If you scroll down to his photos before the arrest....he’s not that doe-eyed innocent shy guy IMO. This guy and his story. Using his own daughter.Reminds of those guilty perps that swear on the lives of their children.
Cristhian Bahena Rivera Photos | Heavy.com

Some lifer will have lost a child or a grandchild, some little girl close to his heart. Life will be "interesting" for CBR. This case is high profile. EVERYONE, will know who CBR is, and what he has done.
I wonder if he will be housed with all the other murdering sex offenders.

But yeah, I think the one thing that bothers him most is knowing what people think of him, especially his family. They have now heard there was a sexual element to the crime. They will be forever left with the image of how he left the body.

I meant will he have the option to change his mind about that ridiculous story and just not testify and then the State won't be able to mention it? But it sounds like you're saying no, he would not have that option.....is that right (said in my most long and drawn-out Jennifer Frese voice)?

Yes, if there were to be a retrial, he would not have to testify again, a defendant is never under an obligation to testify.

MAY 28, 2021
Rep. Hinson sends out statement on Bahena Rivera trial before jury returns verdict | KGAN (cbs2iowa.com)
[...]

On Friday at 10:24 a.m., Hinson's office sent out this statement:

"Mollie Tibbetts's death was absolutely tragic, and my heart has been with her family during this unimaginably difficult time. I believe justice was served in this case and hope the Tibbetts family can find closure. We have to work to ensure that no other family endures what the Tibbetts family has gone through." -Congresswoman Ashley Hinson

A clarification was sent at 10:33 a.m., saying this:

"The statement sent regarding the Mollie Tibbetts trial was sent in error. Congresswoman Hinson will have a statement at the conclusion of the trial. We apologize for the error as the jury is still deliberating at this time."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper