Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve enjoyed using google maps to cruise around the streets of this tidy town. Many of the properties are tiny, but all of them look so clean. Where are the areas of unpainted shacks with caving-in roofs and run-down Section 8 apartments? Is there a community near here where the addicts, disabled, and mentally ill live like sardines in tiny campers which were only built for short vacations?

I’ve definitely lived in an urban area for too long.

This makes sense except for the lack of her body. If some addict broke in thinking the house was empty and he could rob the house only to find Mollie there I would think he would kill her at the spot and leave her there. Having the wherewithal to effectively hide her without a trace doesn’t seem in the wheelhouse of an addict who thought he was going to steal tools to finance his habit and ended up killing someone.
Meth causes a heightened sex drive. A meth addict might have taken her with him.

Last edited:
MISSING: Search ongoing for 19-year-old UI Student

MISSING PERSON. 19 year old Mollie Tibbetts is missing. Last seen on 7/19/18 possibly wearing denim shorts and a red t shirt. Last seen in Brooklyn. If you have any information please call 641 623-5679.
View attachment 139328

Poweshiek County Emergency Management Agency

I should have started reading this one the other day, now I'm 800 posts behind...

I just wanted to comment on Mollie picture - she sure looks like Lacy Peterson!
now... onto reading.

Maybe due to the relatively easy availability of meth precursors (esp anhydrous ammonia, heavily used in agriculture, but also a preferred ingredient in the production of meth) and wide open spaces to cook up meth and not be bothered, but Iowa has a rampant meth epidemic. (or at least had, dunno if the opiate thing has taken hold in Iowa yet).

so much so, rural/small-town Iowa's been the setting for several documentaries and even the book Methland (Oelwein, IA):

Dying for Meth
Poor Man's Dope
Meth Storm
(HBO thing)
Crank: Made in America (HBO again)
Iowa (Hollywood's attempt at capturing the Iowa meth zeitgeist)

Meth causes a heightened sex drive. A meth addict might have taken her with him.
Unfortunately, so true. My inlaws live in a very tiny town in rural southern Illinois. The town is so small it doesn't even have a traffic light. Last year, a guy high on meth broke into my inlaws garage. The only thing that kept him out of the house was a lock and bolted door. (With my father in law on the other side of it armed with a 1911). He had enough mindset and energy to empty the freezer and steal the car, even while high. They caught him when he drove off the road a few miles away. But I hate to think what he might have done if the house had been unlocked and the residents unarmed.

Are we certain Mollie and the BF's relationship was going well? 3 years is a long time for people of this age, is it possible she grew tired/bored/restless and maybe wanted out? She did solidify her own place after all.... I remember being that age with a 'long term' boyfriend, I was curious what else was out there, felt like I was missing out on something, didn't want to be tied down too soon.

Anyway, long story short, maybe she expressed this to BF and it was not well received.
I believe the apartment in question is for her to live in when she’s at school, rather than living on campus.

dunno, I think the main reason meth took off in rural Iowa is that it can be cheaply produced using local ingredients. Heroin has to be brought in from out of the country, through Chicago and then somehow find its way out to rural Iowa. Not saying that doesn't happen, but the markup on it by the time it gets to rural Iowa would make it a tough sell vs locally produced on-the-cheap meth.

Does anyone else think that theirs a possibility she didn’t “vanish” from the bf’s house or while jogging?

I can’t get rid of the feeling that she might have had plans that night (which only her very closest best friends know ) and something happened while she attended those plans? IMO, it wouldn’t surprise if whoever she might have been with went back to her bf’s house to drop belongings off.

IMO. Thinking outside the box.

Does anyone else think that theirs a possibility she didn’t “vanish” from the bf’s house or while jogging?

I can’t get rid of the feeling that she might have had plans that night (which only her very closest best friends know ) and something happened while she attended those plans? IMO, it wouldn’t surprise if whoever she might have been with went back to her bf’s house to drop belongings off.

IMO. Thinking outside the box.
i dont think she vanished while jogging. I think early morning on thursday. Maybe even during the early hours of thursday. Just because of the contacts and glasses thing. She might of been getting ready and something happened. Somebody picking her up or somebody stealing something.

Thinking outside the box.

That’s not “outside the box” at all. There’s absolutely no evidence (that I’m aware of anyway) to suggest she was taken against her will. I also think she left on her own accord, but taking that thought one step further: is she now missing because she intentionally doesn’t want to be found, or did something happen after she left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member