IA - Unknown number of casualties in Davenport apartment building collapse (5/28/2023)

airportwoman

Reaction score
This is a semi-high rise (about 10 stories), an old building that appears to mostly have been occupied by low-income senior citizens. It happened yesterday (5/28) in the late afternoon, and I never knew about it until the 10 o'clock news! It almost looks like a smaller version of the Surfside collapse that happened a couple years ago. There is, as I write this, no reported information of injuries or deaths.

Please pray if you do, and think good thoughts if you don't.

Fire crews arriving on scene also found a "large natural gas leak," Carlsten said. It was not clear if the leak happened as a result of the collapse or if gas had been leaking prior to the incident.

"Even while we were on scene, we still had multiple secondary drops of debris coming from that structure," Carlsten said. "We want to make sure all our responders can are able to process through in a safe manner, but we still want to get through there as quickly as possible."

The Quad-City Times reported Robert Robinson, who lived on the building's second floor, walked outside for a smoke break and went back in as alarms went off.

"When we started to go back in the lights went out," he told the newspaper. "All of a sudden everybody started running out saying the building collapsed. I'm glad we came down when we did."

Robinson and his girlfriend were able to take the elevator down just in time, he said.

"This is horrible," he said. "We don't have anywhere to go. Nothing to eat."

Last edited:
Anyone know what year the building is? I'm trying to find that info.

Reactions: d4j
Here are pics of a unit inside of it.

Per info on Zillow:

The Davenport, is a historic hotel in the heart of Downtown Davenport that has been restored to a apartment building. Its features include on-site parking, an ornate lobby, secured entry and a great location that is in walking distance to all the amenities you could need.

Last edited:
AP via Yahoo:
Rich Oswald, City of Davenport director of development and neighborhood services, said at a news conference that work was being done on the building’s exterior at the time of the collapse.

Reports of bricks falling from the building earlier this week were part of that work and the building’s owner had a permit for the project, Oswald said.

[...]

Tadd Machovec, a Davenport contractor, told the newspaper he was inside putting up a support beam when the building came down.

[...]

The Quad-City Times reported the building is owned by Andrew Wold. A working phone number for Wold was not immediately available Sunday night and attempts to reach him for comment were unsuccessful.

Nearly 20 permits were filed in 2022 for building repairs, mainly for plumbing or electrical issues, according to the county assessor’s office.

Interesting that she had taken a pic of a separated wall just before the collapse. I hope she finds her phone/camera as I'd like to see a pic of that.

Residents living in the area reported that the building was known to have problems, including visible water damage.

Building resident Lexus Berry told The Quad-City Times that she narrowly escaped but her wife and cats became trapped as the building collapsed. Ms Berry had just taken pictures of a separation between a wall and the bathroom doorway before she tried to make it to safety.

“We both grab our cats, she grabbed one, I grabbed one, got to the door,” Ms Berry told the outlet. “I watched her, and everything just fell down and everything fell on top of me, and I barely made it out the door … There was nothing left where I was standing at. Everything else was gone.”

[...]

Resident Todd Wilson said that he received a call from the city last year telling him to evacuate his apartment within 48 hours because bricks were falling off.

“What they did was they switched ownership and they gave them time to fix it, but they didn’t do it properly,” Mr Wilson told the Times.

"A historic six-story apartment building in Davenport, Iowa, that partially collapsed Sunday evening will be demolished this week after a rescue mission for survivors transitioned into a search and recovery operation on Monday, officials said.

Eight people were rescued and an unknown number of people were injured in the collapse at 324 Main Street just before 5 p.m. CT Sunday.

Davenport Mayor Mike Matson told NBC News Monday that K-9 units worked overnight and came up with no hits for people and have left the scene as of Monday afternoon.

The building is expected to be demolished Tuesday morning, the city of Davenport said in a statement."

Street view of the now-collapsed side:

edited street view coordinates for better view
There's a lot of peeled paint on the brickwork in the collapsed area. And other areas.
The street view that you posted from 2017 shows the building in bad condition, but check out the street view from 2011:

Had they done any proper repairs to the wall in the past 12 years, or had they just given it a coat of spackle and paint to hide the poor condition of the brickwork? If that's the area they were trying to repair when the building collapsed, it was an accident waiting to happen. Even in the picture from 2011 the wall looks like it was barely holding up the floors above.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm
Back