ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 56

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Driving your car around with your phone where bad things happen before, during or after isn’t a crime. The have to prove he did this. IMO with his background in criminology forensics can be disposed of creating reasonable doubt.
The post you're replying to never said otherwise.

I would also expect someone with a criminology and forensics background to be a bit more meticulous. But the affidavit claims the suspect brought along his phone to commit the murders. That seems like a dumb mistake to me and suggests he wasn't all that careful.

I think so too. Since he used the knife to kill and had no sheath to put it in, it had to be carried bare to where ever he carried it (even if he wrapped it up in his jacket when he got to the car or whatever).

I bet this will be a big exercise in DNA detection in car upholstery, carpet and every other surface. Carpet likes to keep its DNA.

He at least steps in blood, as well.
If it were me, I would’ve tossed it on the dash, easier to wipe up.

I had to step away from this forum because this crime has shaken me to my core. I live in a very safe area, my boyfriend is 6’1” 240 pounds, I have a large dog, but despite all this I haven’t slept at night in a week. I am terrified and all I can see when I close my eyes is someone coming at me with a knife. If this can happen to them it can happen anyone. My sense of safety is gone. I cannot imagine what these poor victims felt, utter terror. I just hope their pain was very short lived. This guy needs to get the death penalty. And I hope he sits on death row for many years first. Why? I just cannot fathom why someone / anyone does something so horrific. My mind cannot reconcile it. I am so glad to have this space with all of you. My boyfriend doesn’t understand how I can still be following along if I am so scared, but I just have to. I want to see him get nailed to the wall.

My heart goes out to all of the families. I cannot imagine what his family must be going through. With all of the evidence stacked against him they HAVE to know he did this. The evidence paired with his odd behavior tells me he is guilty. So sad. All of it.
I feel the same way. You will get through this and feel more secure.
Sending good vibes your way.

DM heard commotion upstairs first. Then she heard a women's voice, then she heard crying, then she heard a man's voice and then she saw a male leave the residence. I didn't read that she heard the "thud" or the "dog barking", right?

I'm not sure what that 1112 residence camera recorded at 4:17am. Possibly it was him running from the residence, maybe he was the one whimpering, a different dog, car door, etc.

But DM heard 4 different much quieter interactions that obviously weren't detected by the neighbor's camera. If she didn't hear or notice the thud or the dog, I don't understand how that could have been from within the house. I'm not saying the sounds aren't related the crime. I'm just saying it makes more sense that they were outside rather than inside. JMHO.
Gray Hughes (youtube) talks about this at the beginning of his latest video reconstructing the crime.

Xana's bedroom window was at the front of the house, at the NW corner closest to the camera. Kaylee's bedroom was above Xana's, and it's been assumed the dog was in there. So noise of violence against Ethan in Xana's room and a dog barking above that room, could come through the windows and be picked up by the camera audio.

Whereas Maddie's bedroom was on the exact opposite corner, the SE side - directly above DM's bedroom. Plus, there is a bathroom between Maddie's bedroom and the front of the house, further blocking any sound from reaching the street, while the living room is between DM's bedroom and the front of the house.

In addition, the kitchen is between DM's bedroom and Xana's bedroom, so I don't think she could hear everything that was happening inside that room. I think she heard voices because they were closer to the living room.

JMO, but I think LE have probably tested this to ensure the camera would pick up sounds this way.

There were 6 bedrooms and 6 tenants not that long ago. Tenant No.6 moved out of the other second floor bedroom. Kaylee had moved out, but was visiting for the weekend. She was vacating the bedroom with the balcony on the third floor. It sounds like DM, one of the surviving tenants, was moving into the second floor bedroom, and was sleeping in that room on the night of the murders.

After checking on a noise for the third time from the second floor bedroom, he walked past her. She was frozen in fear, then she ran to the basement bedroom and locked the door. That's what I understood from the affidavit.

He didn't expect to get caught. He thought that: if he turned off his phone during the murders, no one would connect his phone to the murders. He didn't expect CCTV to connect his car to the crime scene because the car on CCTV had PA plates and no plate on the front, and five days after the murder he had WA plates.
Hey, Otto!

She ran to the basement? How did I miss that? I thought she closed and locked her bedroom door.

Yeah, I get it, but to turn off your phone just for the time of the crime, that's silly. It leaves an obvious hole. I think that he was so compulsive that the urge to bring his phone along was irresistible (by compulsive, I also mean obsessed, wrapped up in the emotions he was having regarding stalking whoever, maybe looking at her social media). He knew it was dumb, but did it anyway. Or, he was super naive, this doesn't fit with his history of being a criminology student.

Last edited:
I think Gavin DeBecker describes this phenomena through several examples in his book The Gift of Fear. He gives examples of how people's instinct tells them something is wrong or dangerous but they have been socialized not to trust their instincts. For example, you're a woman, and at the end of the day in a building that's mostly empty, the elevator arrives at your floor and the door opens. It's a large man you don't know and you feel uneasy. Do you get into that elevator--a steel, soundproof box, or do you wait for another elevator or someone to go with you? Most people get into the elevator because we are socialized to be polite.
IMO, yes- an awesome book-it’s all about intuition.
And his DNA being on the knife sheath left at the scene.
IMO, this makes me suspicious in and of itself. If you look at the big picture, this all seems TOO EASY. For a criminology student to do this is bs. Let me guess that dna that was found was precisely placed on the knife sheath snap. I D K. BK has a history of being picked on, so I am guessing that he is a sort of mild milquetoast personality. He’s either Mr. milquetoast or he can become aggressive. A lot of people who are mild mannered don’t know how to handle bullies or people that “ push buttons”. I also know that people don’t like to be DISRESPECTED. I am disbelieving of all the media bs that makes him look like a monster, because he very well is not a monster. INNOCENT until PROVEN GUILTY. Just look at what the media did to Amanda Knox.

If it were me, I would’ve tossed it on the dash, easier to wipe up.
I would have taken off my shirt and wrapped the knife in that then dispose of both, he likely had blood on his clothes and had to dispose of everything he was wearing. Personally I would have stripped before getting in the car, putting all my clothes in a plastic bag including my gloves then disposing of it all before going home.

The pictures reveal what is a single bed, or some call a twin bed. Really in the grand scheme of things that doesn't matter IMO. I don't think the defense can wrangle one bit of info from that statement that could help the suspect BK.
K and M may have been sleeping in the same bed because Murphy was excited and keeping them awake. Put him in K's old room and slept together in M's room.

The LEO had "fugitive transport" on the back of his jacket - maybe just from working in different areas in a small town..or is BK likely to visit the house with LE?
If I recall, when LE announced that a private security company was going to be at the residence, the same people with a badge and “northern states” were at the scene. This was talked about so many threads ago so I can’t even begin to guess when that was brought up.
From 12/2 press release:
As detectives move forward with the homicide investigation, a private security company has been contracted to provide scene security to free up patrol resources. The scene remains under police control.

So, in my opinion, I think it’s the same private security company to provide scene security. If BK were to go back to the scene, I would imagine it would be a heavy local LE/fbi presence and not this hired private security. A google search pulls up Northern States Security and Investigation out of Hayden, Idaho and Coeur d’Alene (both in Kootenai county, which explains the license plate).

I have a question about BK's prior arrest due to a traffic violation. That took me by surprise. What kind of violation could this have been? When I hear the word traffic violation I think of speeding or running a red light. But no one gets arrested on the spot for that!

I also just wanted to say that after watching him at the hearing yesterday.. he appears so calm for the charges against him. It is like he thinks he is in some kind of criminal justice simulation and not in real life.
I believe the media said it was for a seat belt infraction. The ticket fine was $10.00.

Maybe it's not exactly what you have in mind, but they have video of his car on various cameras in both directions. I don't know whether any footage can conclusively be identified as his vehicle, but it's much more damning when combined with cell phone location data showing him in the same area.

I was thinking that if they have footage of him parking, then the would probably have footage of him getting out of the car.

I thought there was some discussion that said the Public Defender had to be Death Penalty Qualified....and it would most likely be her as her qualifications were well known in Idaho. (This was over the weekend when he was first arrested but was still in PA.)

Edited: to fix typos

His public defender Anne Taylor is DP certified/qualified.

IMO, this makes me suspicious in and of itself. If you look at the big picture, this all seems TOO EASY. For a criminology student to do this is bs. Let me guess that dna that was found was precisely placed on the knife sheath snap. I D K. BK has a history of being picked on, so I am guessing that he is a sort of mild milquetoast personality. He’s either Mr. milquetoast or he can become aggressive. A lot of people who are mild mannered don’t know how to handle bullies or people that “ push buttons”. I also know that people don’t like to be DISRESPECTED. I am disbelieving of all the media bs that makes him look like a monster, because he very well is not a monster. INNOCENT until PROVEN GUILTY. Just look at what the media did to Amanda Knox.
I don't find it hard to believe at all. He's frequently been described as arrogant and condescending, convinced of his own intelligence. Being in a graduate program doesn't mean you have common sense and being arrogant can cancel out brains pretty fast.

I think he used gloves that night, so there's no DNA on the outside of the sheath but was too frenzied to keep track of the sheath in the middle of stabbing 4 college students, and he never considered that there would be DNA on the sheath from when he handled it before putting on gloves. MOO

He doesn't need anybody to frame him, which seems to be what you're suggesting, to make stupid mistakes.

By Martha Bellisle • Published 4 hours ago​

''While there is still more evidence needed, police looked at phone records, DNA, and video footage of his car to identify the suspect in the murders of four University of Idaho students, according to the affidavit. NBC10's Johnny Archer has the details.

- Nov. 13, 2022: Footage from security videos show the suspect's vehicle in the King Road neighborhood starting at 3:29 a.m. Police say it made three passes by the house and made a fourth pass at about 4:04 a.m. before leaving the area at a high rate of speed at about 4:20 a.m.

- Nov. 13, 2022: Surveillance video recorded the suspect vehicle in Pullman and the WSU campus around 5:25 a.m.

- Nov. 13, 2022: Investigators tracking Kohberger's phone said it left his residence at about 9 a.m. and traveled to Moscow. It pinged cellular services that would cover the King Road home between 9:12 a.m. and 9:21 a.m. It then traveled back to the Kohberger home at about 9:32 a.m.

- Nov. 13, 2022: There was no police response to the killings until later in the day.

- Nov. 18, 2022: Bryan Kohberger changed the registration of his white Elantra from Pennsylvania plates to Washington state license plates.

- Nov. 25, 2022: Law enforcement were on the lookout for a Hyundai Elantra.

- Nov. 29, 2022: A WSU police officer learned that a 2015 white Elantra with a Pennsylvania license plate was registered to Bryan Kohberger. The officer tracked down Kohberger's driver's license and noted that he was a white male, 6-feet tall and weighed about 185 pounds (83.91 kilograms). His photograph showed bushy eyebrows.

- Dec. 13, 2022: Kohberger's vehicle was seen in Loma, Colorado.

- Dec. 15, 2022: Kohberger, traveling to Pennsylvania with his father, was stopped by law enforcement in Hancock County, Indiana.

- Dec. 23, 2022: Officials obtained a warrant to search Kohberger's phone records. They show that the phone was in Pullman at 2:42 a.m. on Nov. 13, 2022 but then stops reporting to the network. It does not connect again until 4:48 a.m.

- Dec. 29, 2022: Based on the information gathered, law enforcement secured an arrest warrant for Bryan Kohberger. He was taken into custody early in the morning by the Pennsylvania State Police at a home in Chestnuthill Township.

- Jan. 3, 2023: Kohberger appeared at Pennsylvania’s Monroe County Courthouse and agreed to waive extradition in order to be moved back to Idaho to face charges.

- Jan. 4, 2023: Kohberger arrived in Moscow on a small plane.

- Jan. 5, 2023: Kohberger made his first court appearance in Latah County and the court records in the case have been unsealed.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member