ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 42

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The thread is moving fast so someone may have mentioned it already, but does anyone else feel like this isn't his first murder? I just find it strange that someone would murder 4 people on their first attempt, it just seems like too many variables - the more people, the more room for error I'd imagine. I wonder if he killed before, got away with it, and felt emboldened ? MOO
I think it is probably his first murder, but likely wouldn't have been his last if he wasn't caught. Given that his research was basically what makes a criminal tick and he found out first hand, he may have gotten his thrill by doing it. He may have been in the early stages of being a serial killer.

Last edited:
What could have started as Adderall for the treatment of an overweight, bullied schoolkid, might well have turned into self-medication with something cheaper. However, that you mentioned stimulants is highly intuitive, as stimulants make OCD worse. JMO.
It may also be that OCD is an overused term and is often not used to reference a clinical diagnosis.

Many times, it seems to be used in reference to someone who is very particular.

I think it is probably his first murder, but likely wouldn't have been his last if he wasn't caught.
Agreed. I think he’s just a super rare dude who starts out with a mass murder. But once the stress passed, he would have done this again. I think this was years in the making, and it’s funny, because with his education he should have known how stupidly reckless this was. Sloppy boy.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed> We have a non-blood ex-relative (an aunt who used to be a part of the family via marriage but is now divorced) quoted in the news as saying he was OCD about being vegan. That’s it as far as anything remotely related to his mental health, right? Or is there something I’m missing?

AND we don’t know when this “OCD” was taking place (when he was 15, last year, last month …???) - plus, was he really diagnosed with OCD or was the aunt just using that term casually (which is really common)? And how well did this ex-aunt know him in the first place?
That’s literally it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how frats work (I'm in Canada so not as big a thing here), but would BK have blended into and randomly attended any frat parties that weekend?

He seems very comfortable with Uni/campus life. Or maybe he was at the campus hangouts on the weekend scouting victims if it wasn't a long term plan?
It seems unlikely to me. He looks a bit old for frat parties, and, at least when I was in college, non-frat member guys weren't allowed in, although all women were. And he's reportedly a bit socially awkward according to his professor in post #132, so probably wouldn't fit into the party group at all.

Starting to get the feeling that his "research study" was just catfishing to find some violent penpals to chat with.
That's my take, too. The timing is off, when one considers his graduation date. It's sloppy, at best. And the questions are, imo, unusual.

Frankly, it may have been an integral emotional part of his crime. An enjoyable part. The buildup leading to the climax....

Imo

nah. He used a car to drive to the scene. Left DNA.

His criminal education didn't give him any benefits. This is what you call an amateur. That is what he is.
On CNN late news, a former LE officer talked about how LE kept him under surveillance as he crossed the country. He either never suspected he was being tailed or didn’t react to it. He’s no genius.

Bryan Kohberger's friend described the difference in his appearance and demeanor before his senior year.
Mcloughlin said Kohberger was 'down to Earth,' when he graduated junior year. But at the start of senior year, Kohberger returned 'thinner than a rail,' had turned 'aggressive' and taken up boxing.

Recalling how their friendship soured, Mcloughlin added: 'He always wanted to fight somebody, he was bullying people. We started cutting him off from our friend group because he was 100 percent a different person.'

Kohberger said he has 'no idea' what prompted the sudden change.

ETA - This might have referred to his Junior and Senior year at DeSales. Regardless, he had experienced a pronounced change in behavior in the 18 months before the murders.

JMO
I thought this was a HIGH SCHOOL friend. BK's various potentially serious mental & physical health issues stretch back to his teens in all probability.
MOO

Is it me or is it strange that a crime of this magnitude was his first act? He went from one parking ticket to this?

It's a bit of an outlier if it is in fact his first violent crime, but it's definitely not unheard of.

That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if he's committed violent crimes that he was never linked to in the past.

Getting IRB approval is a rigorous process
It is a red flag to have a survey appear in public to be completed by people online with the appearance of being approved by a research committee- and not have been.
If he has the school’s name, his own name, and also contacts from the school- that looks like fraud by someone not playing with a full deck
How did someone earn an MS without knowing basic research methods?
This sounds like an unapproved class project, not any type of approved research

JMO
Its really not a “rigorous” process. I’m a CRA ( work in clinical trials research for industry). It highly depends on the IRB. Some are thorough, some are garbage. Many university IRBs are the latter. But plenty of huge, central IRBs drop the ball frequently too. And getting IRB approval for something like that? It’s literally just filling out a template form and providing a copy of the survey, and waiting until their next meeting.

And this type of survey may be considered exempt. Or it could straddle the line enough that the creator argued it was exempt and the person over them (PI, professor, whoever) agreed and unless there’s an audit, publication, or some other reason to look closer (like oh, I don’t know, a murderer created it) than it’s probably gonna slide through without too much fanfare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow