ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 45

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He had a month between the murders and the drive home. If he ditched the knife, he could have ditched it anywhere at all during that month. I doubt he would have waited until the trip home. MOO
He had indeed a lot of time and most likely pre-planned the knife destination.

I'd really like it to be found.

MOO, vegan and bloody stabbing of human beings don't go together to me. It's difficult to connect his being Vegan with his wallowing in the bloody crime scene. I wouldn't think someone that doesn't want to eat animals would chose bloody stabbing as a way to murder. Just my own thoughts.
Maybe being vegan was only about CONTROL. I see a lot of controlling behaviors from what has been shared here by those who knew him talking to the media.

I don't think his apparent adamant dietary choices are a sign of a soul who cares. At all. About anything. Except #1.

I could be wrong.

JMO

I don’t think it matters. Neither one of those terms, as far as I know, has any legal significance.

MOO
I am sure they hace dufferent legal meanings.

A person of interest (POI) refers to someone who LE believe may have information related to a crime. A person of interest may be someone who can provide information that leads to a suspect or may turn into a suspect himself. Sometimes a person of interest needs protection from law enforcement because of the information they have. By the way, POI is primarily an American term.

The suspect in a crime is a specific person who authorities believe may have committed the crime. When a crime is committed, authorities follow evidence until they discover the person who they believe is responsible for the crime. In order to convict a suspect, the authorities must prove their case in a court of law. Until the case is proven, a suspect is not considered guilty.

The perpetrator is the person who commits the crime. Legally, the perpetrator is unknown until someone is convicted of the crime. The term is used to describe what a criminal did in the commission of a crime, though it does not apply to a specific person unless that person is convicted. An American abbreviation, perp, is often used in place of the word perpetrator.

On your original question.

As a person of interest is believed to have information that will aid in the the solving of a crime, and a perpetrator is the person who has committed a certain crime, my guess is that BK became a POI between 7th of Dec (the day the first appeal for info on white car was issued by LE) and 12th of Dec (prior to BK and his father started their trip to PA).

Around 23rd Dec LE were confudent that BK is their man and started prepartikns for his arrest.

Considering that a suspect is accused of committing a crime we can say that BK became a suspect on 30 Dec 2022, the day of his arrest.

He will officially becomes a prep sometime in future, when/if he is convicted.

Maybe bring vegan was only about CONTROL. I see a lot of controlling behaviors from what has been shared here by those who knew him talking to the media.

I don't think his apparent adamant dietary choices are a sign of a soul who cares. At all. About anything. Except #1.

I could be wrong.

JMO
I agree! I think all of his actions are about control. Even having his dad come to travel with him. Control and manipulation of every aspect of his life…because he feels he is smarter than everyone else.

Location of the knife.

LE has said they do not have the knife. We know that his apartment in Pullman was searched and his parents house in PA.

All speculation, moo:

I think he either immediately disposed of the knife, tossed it out the car window, into a body or water, random dumpster or trash can, whatever, on his way home to his apartment after the murders.

Or, more likely, imo, he kept it and hid it somewhere he believes is clever. I'm reminded of the Mel Ignatow case. Ignatow had kept some of his victim's jewelry (that was quite valuable) and there were pictures taken when the crime was occurring. The undeveloped film was also there. It wasn't found until after Ignatow was acquitted, when his former house had some work done. Taped up into duct work that had been covered with carpet.

I think BK may have documented the crime or the aftermath. Maybe a cheap digital camera, or even a burner phone with a camera. I think he may have kept souvenirs that he's stashed, expecting/hoping someone finds them five, 10, 20 years from now. He possibly has some HVAC knowledge and think of all the buildings he may have been in since the murders. Could be anywhere. Taped under a urinal at a rest stop on I-80 for instance. Unlike Ignatow, I think BK would want them found at some point, though.

I think he's going to play games with this whole case. I was really surprised that he waived extradition. I think his comment, if accurate, "Was anyone else arrested?" and telling his extradition attorney that he looked forward to being exonerated is all a big mind game to him. I think he sees this as his greatest research project, and will come up with what he believes is a brilliant defense. Will he say his DNA was there because he was having some sort of relationship with one of the victims? A secret tryst?

I hope I'm wrong, and he just pleads to spare himself the death penalty, so the families and the community don't have to go through a trial. I think BK will do everything possible, though, to make this a spectacle for his own entertainment.

all MOO
Ahh, yes interesting point about the HVAC knowledge and that was the field his Dad worked in. I wonder in all BK's younger years if he did any trade school years to learn anything in that field, b/f going back for his Psychology degree. Maybe he could hide something up in the HVAC ducts at school? He had an office there and not many friends, so likely he was there late at night when noone else was around.

Ahh, yes interesting point about the HVAC knowledge and that was the field his Dad worked in. I wonder in all BK's younger years if he did any trade school years to learn anything in that field, b/f going back for his Psychology degree. Maybe he could hide something up in the HVAC ducts at school? He had an office there and not many friends, so likely he was there late at night when noone else was around.
Very likely. Thank you, alsleuther!

Location of the knife.

LE has said they do not have the knife. We know that his apartment in Pullman was searched and his parents house in PA.

All speculation, moo:

I think he either immediately disposed of the knife, tossed it out the car window, into a body or water, random dumpster or trash can, whatever, on his way home to his apartment after the murders.

Or, more likely, imo, he kept it and hid it somewhere he believes is clever. I'm reminded of the Mel Ignatow case. Ignatow had kept some of his victim's jewelry (that was quite valuable) and there were pictures taken when the crime was occurring. The undeveloped film was also there. It wasn't found until after Ignatow was acquitted, when his former house had some work done. Taped up into duct work that had been covered with carpet.

I think BK may have documented the crime or the aftermath. Maybe a cheap digital camera, or even a burner phone with a camera. I think he may have kept souvenirs that he's stashed, expecting/hoping someone finds them five, 10, 20 years from now. He possibly has some HVAC knowledge and think of all the buildings he may have been in since the murders. Could be anywhere. Taped under a urinal at a rest stop on I-80 for instance. Unlike Ignatow, I think BK would want them found at some point, though.

I think he's going to play games with this whole case. I was really surprised that he waived extradition. I think his comment, if accurate, "Was anyone else arrested?" and telling his extradition attorney that he looked forward to being exonerated is all a big mind game to him. I think he sees this as his greatest research project, and will come up with what he believes is a brilliant defense. Will he say his DNA was there because he was having some sort of relationship with one of the victims? A secret tryst?

I hope I'm wrong, and he just pleads to spare himself the death penalty, so the families and the community don't have to go through a trial. I think BK will do everything possible, though, to make this a spectacle for his own entertainment.

all MOO
I think you are spot on in regards to the mind games and DNA alibi. He knows the law and evidence needed. This is what he's thinking in his mind, but I'm quite convinced that LE is way ahead of him. He seems to be a true psychopath, and many times they ARE quite brilliant in some ways but almost always get caught. I'm curious about his digital footprint (and how he tried covering it up), how close he was following the case, and was he "Pappa Rodger" (or similar), was he the random TicTok video maker? etc .. was he a webslueth and taunting?

I think he must've expected his car to be seen but that there's so many white Elantras and that his was registered in PA, that it wouldn't matter.
I saw somewhere that there's 90 white Elantras registered for student parking in UoI campus. Add that figure to locals within 100 miles radius and I guess you're in the hundreds.

It was the DNA that got him, I'm certain of that.
Otherwise the FBI may not have even looked at him.
They were probably working through a database of 100s of white Elantras owners when the DNA results came in. Cross-referencing them with known offenders and criminals etc. He may not have even been on their radar.

The genealogy then narrowed it down to just him.
Then they probably got his DNA from his apartment or one of his close family, then they were certain.

It'll be interesting to see what DNA he left behind as I'm certain he wore gloves.

This is just MO.

If you draw a 200km radius around Moscow Idaho, it includes Spokane, Coeur D'Alene, Pullman, Kennewick, Pasco etc so it's a population of millions.

So the number of white Elantras may be over a 1000.

And this is interesting to me. His WSU grad school posted this statement on their front page. I'm surprised they commented at all, but wow, this pretty much says, thank goodness they caught this weirdo, and we are relieved justice will be carried out. Interesting statement from those who knew him pretty well. Very different that the sentiment from his family.

Statement on the arrest of Bryan Kohberger (12/31/2022)​

The Department of Criminal Justice and Criminology at Washington State University is aggrieved by the alleged horrendous acts of one of its graduate students. We are relieved that justice will be carried out. Our hearts are with the victims’ families.

Idaho Murder Suspect Had Been a Student of the Criminal Mind

“Officials pleaded for tips and videos, while thousands of internet sleuths around the country suggested an array of people as the likely culprit: a former boyfriend of one of the victims, a man who was with two of the victims when they got a meal from a food truck, two roommates who were in the home when the killings occurred but apparently slept through them.

None of the online discussion groups identified Mr. Kohberger.”

'The arrest left the members of one Facebook discussion group, with more than 166,000 members, stunned.

“I’m baffled,” one woman wrote. “Literally everything we know doesn’t make sense.”

same link

I think he must've expected his car to be seen but that there's so many white Elantras and that his was registered in PA, that it wouldn't matter.
I saw somewhere that there's 90 white Elantras registered for student parking in UoI campus. Add that figure to locals within 100 miles radius and I guess you're in the hundreds.

It was the DNA that got him, I'm certain of that.
Otherwise the FBI may not have even looked at him.
They were probably working through a database of 100s of white Elantras owners when the DNA results came in. Cross-referencing them with known offenders and criminals etc. He may not have even been on their radar.

The genealogy then narrowed it down to just him.
Then they probably got his DNA from his apartment or one of his close family, then they were certain.

It'll be interesting to see what DNA he left behind as I'm certain he wore gloves.

This is just MO.
I think it was in a reverse order.

LE first got a tip-off about the car shortly after the appeal for info on white Elantra. DNA checks results which came after the car was identified just nailed the case against him enough to assure arrest warrant.

Some people underestimate genealogy websites for solving crime. I have said it before but I strongly believe these genealogy sites like 23 and me, ancestry.com,GEDMatch etc will be an important tool in solving other murders regardless if the case is cold or not.

MOO, vegan and bloody stabbing of human beings don't go together to me. It's difficult to connect his being Vegan with his wallowing in the bloody crime scene. I wouldn't think someone that doesn't want to eat animals would chose bloody stabbing as a way to murder. Just my own thoughts.
Have you heard of someone (jokingly) saying that they love animals but hate people? Perhaps thinking along the lines that while animals are innocent, (some) people can be bad/mean/evil and deserve what's coming to them.

Very likely. Thank you, alsleuther!

YOU ARE SO RIGHT!

He did, indeed. He enrolled on course about A/C units but abandoned this study shortly before finisjing it. I can look for link, but i am faurly sure that for a year he was on technical course, in PA.

Adding the link, it was 2 years course!:

Lawrence Rosenberg said he attended classes at the Career & Technical Institute with Kohberger, but that he dropped out in 2014 without completing the course.

'He would always looked bugged eye'd like on drugs and nobody in the class really never talked to him that's why he only went for 2 years and left without taking the final exam,' he said.

Last edited:
I think it was in a reverse order.

LE first got a tip-off about the car shortly after the appeal for info on white Elantra. DNA checks results which came after the car was identified just nailed the case against him enough to assure arrest warrant.

They probably had 100s of white Elantras to investigate.
Without the DNA they had nothing.

There was probably at least a few white Elantra owners with criminal records.

I agree that a neighbor probably spotted his car and phoned in, so it was added to the list.

I think he probably calculated that it was worth the risk to drive his car.
If he had cycled and left no DNA, then FBI would have nothing.
Maybe he obscured the license plate with that reflective material.

He reported to be a late night runner. Wonder if he had caches set up where he dumped weapon and clothing right after the crimes?
Ugh! Hadn't seen that detail. Do you recall whether this was when he was on his weight loss kick, when he was younger or whether this was more recent?

I have not read everything here. I have read things all over the net.
I will not repeat things I have read, per T&C.....but based on things I have read, I believe from, here on out, this is all thrilling for him. IMO, he looks forward to challenging his challengers. He still thinks he can outsmart them. His narcissism is that great. I think he really does look forward to a trial.

I think he was obsessed with committing the perfect crime and not getting caught and actually using it all as part of a thesis and maybe a book.

I think he will still make a book from this. And while criminals cannot profit from their crimes, we all know there are ways to do so in a round about way.

I have not figured out yet why these victims. As usual, life is so busy, I cannot dedicate as much time as I would like and used to back in the days of Casey Anthony and Jodi Arias where I literally could sit and watch the trial all day long.

On that note, I wonder if his trial will be live or closed to cameras.

Just my thoughts on my opinions.
I hope I can catch up somewhat here.

May everyone have a blessed 2023!
curious if he is into delay and obfuscation, why he agreed to waive extradition

I’ve also wondered if he took pictures or even a video of the crime. As he does not seem to have a social media presence- his intention would not be to share online to a community.
To revisit the crime scene virtually, I think so
To have them become part of historical record like other killers he has studied, I think so

I agree that he may intend to play games, where is the evidence Nov 13-Dec 30??

Someone has convinced him he is brilliant, and the media seems convinced. He cannot be.
A smart kid takes advanced courses in high school, receives a scholarship, graduates with a bachelors at 21 like Kaylee. and could do masters at 23, PhD by 25
Not genius to earn a MA at 28, he is FIVE years behind peers
This means he has always been one of the oldest in his college classes, he doesn’t fit

Why an inflated sense of self? Psychology is not the path of a criminal genius.
Psychology is toward neuroscience, a BA and MA avoids the math and science.
A PhD would include graduate level statistics. Where is his math and science background?

I guess he chose the knife because it is close and lets off anger and shows he is physically strong. But, that came with consequences…and he does not understand the nature of a stabbing in terms of forensic evidence- arterial blood spurt, blood splatter, cast off, DNA.

We overestimated this guy
So, What was his point? A degree began, a crime done halfway, a poor application of what he had learned?
The stabbings of four intoxicated young people in their sleep
Eluded capture for not quite two months
In hindsight this crime can’t be viewed by him or anyone as genius Or a Perfect Crime

It seems the criminal flop of an educated socially awkward c<modsnip - off topic> does it not?
A wake of destruction- and fear- for what?

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:

yes it came up in one of the earlier links. will try & re-find that link for you & edit it into this post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwitzke