ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 45

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Without DNA analysis and new sequencer tech, he might have, though. It's SUCH a relief that this guy is off the streets.

Now they're going to find microscopic evidence from 1122 King in his car.

THere's no way, IMO, that he showered at the scene (without leading TONS of DNA) so of course he got into the car, as far as we know. Sure, he might have changed all of his clothing (what a risk, possibly doing it inside the house - but you can't really change all your clothes with big old kevlar gloves or any usual style of glove without using your ungloved hands). The gloves have the most blood - they *must* be taken off, but the fingers are going to touch blood.

Which will then be on the steering wheel. I know I said it before, but this guy clearly didn't take even an introductory course in human genetics (and that doesn't surprise me, given his course of study).
Except CSIs enter crimes scenes, collect evidence, and go home without leaving evidence in their cars.

IMHO, Bryan Kohberger could have put a protective suit— say, the kind used by maintenance workers or by CSIs—entered the house and murdered for people, then removed the suit before getting back in his car.

Kohberger lived on a campus that has both a veterinary school and a medical school. He was also 90 minutes from Spokane.

There was about a nine hour delay between when the crimes were committed and when they were reported. In those nine hours, Kohberger could have dumped a bag containing clothing anywhere between Pullman and Spokane.

It is possible the weapon has been found but LE has not given out that information yet (due to the pending extradition and unsealing of the probable cause affidavit.) A good possibility as they have searched his residence, his university apartment and by now the vehicle. I'm of the OPINION that he would keep the weapon as a souvenir, so one of those locations might be where it was hidden. Afterall, IMO he didn't expect to be caught.
I too think he would keep the knife, though less as a souvenir and more out of a compulsion for control. Toss it in a lake or dumpster and he loses control of its whereabouts. I think he wants to know where it is but not be confronted with it—he strikes me as someone with extreme compartmentalization tendencies. MOO

It probably doesn't mean anything...but do y'all remember that there was an HVAC repair van that was at the 1122 King property just a couple of days after the killings? I always thought it was odd that LE seemingly called in a air conditioning and heating company to the crime scene so close after the murders.
IMO, LE wanted the HVAC ductwork inspected for possible evidence.

It still bothers me that they were tracking the suspect across the country ready to arrest him and then they let a cleaning crew come to clean the crime scene the day he gets arrested. Then they just call off the cleaning and it becomes the crime scene again? They knew they were going to arrest him. Doesn't make sense.

This stuck out for me: "According to LaBar, Kohberger's dad had flown into Seattle, to Spokane and then drove into Pullman to get his son and drive back to Pennsylvania during the holiday. It was a planned trip." I had no problem with the idea of him flying out and driving back in BK's car, but this trip sounds really convoluted. If he went from ABE in Allentown, I can't find a direct flight to Seattle, and the flights add up to nine hours or so. Maybe he went from Philly? Did he leave a car at one of those airports? Then another 1+hour to Spokane? Did BK pick him up in Spokane and they drove from there? Did the dad spend the night in Pullman before starting this drive? This is beginning to sound like a trip that was "planned" sometime after November 13, for a very specific reason.
Same. They can say all they want it was pre planned, and maybe it was. But just saying it to make it less suspicious doesn’t make it true. Proof of plane ticket bought well before murders or I‘m not buying it.

Agree. I doubt the addiction story myself. He's reported to have gotten good grades, and a heroin addict probably wouldn't.

It seems as though when any high-profile story like this comes out, suddenly, all manner of folks "remember" sensational stories.

Right now, I'm filing most of those stories on the back burner until we hear some reliable confirmation.

Agree. There's nothing wrong with the poem. It conveys the author's sense of despair and frustration at senseless killing.
Like people who smoke cigarettes , the addiction is for a lifetime. I smoked cigarettes for about a decade before stopping about 15 years ago, but I consider myself a nicotine addict that doesn't use nicotine. So i have to be vigilant for the rest of my life to never ever make an exception. So since there are multiple people who knew him saying this guy used heroin I think it is correct to say he is a heroin addict who may or may not have had relapses.

As far as that poem, I think there is plenty wrong with it. Just substitute in knife where she puts "gun" and you can see. Should we be blaming the knife? No the blame is on the perpetrator, not what they used.

Such an interesting question, and I am intrigued as well. I tend to lean toward the former, but who knows. It’s the whole nature vs nurture question, and I don’t know that we’ll ever find out.

There's lots of research on the question, we just aren't allowed to discuss it here (I believe). But I think it's okay for me to say that studies of men in prison, particularly on death row, are a big chunk of how we discovered some (emphasis on some) of the genetic and biophysiological markers of violent offenders. Brain studies, gene studies. In addition, people have studied them intensely, including school records and interviews with childhood teachers and friends, all that kind of thing.

I think the consensus right now is that it's roughly 50/50. Nature and nurture. Physical trauma to the brain can cause the biophysiological traits (in the brain) that are associated with being a violent offender, it's not necessarily genes, but the overall issues in the brain are similar within this group (and there are subgroups, with one of the major subgroups having a known genetic anomaly).

I thought the same thing and agree
He got a late start in academia and picked up the pace, but he doesn’t have the real world experience that would make a PhD experience as beneficial as it could be.

Some go from Masters to PhD because they make connections to a prof they want to work with who provide a unique experience.
I can’t see that connection at WSU for him, so I haven’t a clue why he went straight into a PhD program and why he chose WSU For that PhD.

JMO
I believe his advisor for his research project also wrote him a recommendation. Maybe she has a connection there?

It probably doesn't mean anything...but do y'all remember that there was an HVAC repair van that was at the 1122 King property just a couple of days after the killings? I always thought it was odd that LE seemingly called in a air conditioning and heating company to the crime scene so close after the murders.

I agree. I did think it was odd, my mind immediately reached for oh they must be tearing apart the duct work to find something. Now that I look back upon it though, I wonder if the house's heater was functioning. Maybe they just needed to ensure the house was kept at a stable temperature and there was an issue doing so. Still weird they would need to call out HVAC repair but to me it seems reasonable that it was for a simple reason like this. MOO of course.

I think some are giving him way too much credit
He had a rep of a guy who is rude to women and has a temper Fox 29 Philly
He drove a white car at night around the crime scene to case it out, and was seen
He drove this white car past home cameras and gas station cameras
He left his DNA at the crime scene
He lived 10 min away
He drove this same car on campus

He left a series of ’research’ questions to help him ’learn’ how to do crime? Weird

He got caught because he left a wake of evidence, despite having degrees in CJ?

I’m guessing there is also phone pings and digital footprint evidence, and then he likely went to the restaurant or bars where these girls went so he was seen and known to be a jerk.

He is not some criminal mastermind like so many are thinking
I think he was tipped in by a classmate or prof

JMO
Agree he may be getting too much credit in some peoples' eyes for being some kind of mastermind -- because he was pursuing degree(s) in higher education? or studying criminal justice? so maybe thought he knew more than most about evidence and investigating?

Or was it much simpler than that? like as he grew older (and left his teen angsty years most people have) behind, he started to realize he wasn't able to function in society/relationships in a meaningful or fulfilling way, and so deferred to playing at being an "endless student", became increasingly divorced from reality and thought he was playing a "game". And lost the game, taking four lives and destroying many other lives in the bargain before he was called on it. JMOO

Last edited:
Same. They can say all they want it was pre planned, and maybe it was. But just saying it to make it less suspicious doesn’t make it true. Proof of plane ticket bought well before murders or I‘m not buying it.
Why would the father have to buy a plane ticket before the murders? If he’s smart, he would be watching for the best price—and that could have been weeks before the murders or just before.

His attorney said he is waiving extradition, which eliminates the whole process of governor’s signature, etc. So yes, it can happen that fast.
@NIN
Per ^ post atty said BCK "is waiving."
But per article* atty said BCK "plans on waiving his extradition rights."

PLANS on waiving = subject to change, until ct appearance.

They had the Elantra on video in motion...the wheels/hubcaps would be indeterminate with them spinning
Not necessarily. The difference in wheels is distinctive, very much so. That they narrowed it to 2011-2013 should have meant they could see one of 3 distinct changes in the Elantra from 2013 to 2014, IMO. Otherwise why not say 2011-2015?

Again, moot if it's not needed for prosecution.

Eta:it is entirely possible that a 2015 Elantra could have 2011-2013 wheels if someone changed them out for some reason. That would make it extra special.

States are observing the holiday today, Jan 2. Regardless if BK is not fighting the process, the petition by ID for the fugitive still has to be legally processed by the court.

I guess I don't understand why BK would be extradited in advance of his scheduled extradition hearing on Tuesday.

Just saw another news report about a page back here that said this will all be handled at his extradition hearing.

After that it may take a little while longer for him to be transported.

If anyone believes he will be extradited without a hearing, can you please provide a link stating that? TIA. His hearing is scheduled for tomorrow, IIRC at 3 pm.

The police and FBI have not found the knife and are still searching according to the recent news press conference of the police chief. I am incredibly impressed and thrilled with law enforcement‘s excellent job finding BK. Am I the only person who doesn’t think they will ever find the knife? It could be in various trash dumps Washington, Idaho, rest stops, Pennsylvania, McDonald’s along the way, dug in holes between Washington and Pennsylvania, into sewers, , tossed down canyons, lakes, rivers, oceans, caves, …..

wow

unfortunately the link returns an ' Access Denied' message. ( US readers only?)
If there's any more detail on the pull-overs can somebody paste a couple of sentences
According to LaBar, Kohberger's dad had flown into Seattle, to Spokane and then drove into Pullman to get his son and drive back to Pennsylvania during the holiday. It was a planned trip, and LaBar said Kohberger's father told him that nothing was out of the ordinary during the cross-country drive.
LaBar did state the father and son duo were pulled over twice in Indiana during the trip to Pennsylvania. He also said he was not sure who had been driving.
"I don't know whether they were speeding or not or if they were even issued a ticket," LaBar said. "I just know that they were pulled over in Indiana almost back to back. I believe once for speeding and once for falling too closely to a car in front of them."

There's lots of research on the question, we just aren't allowed to discuss it here (I believe). But I think it's okay for me to say that studies of men in prison, particularly on death row, are a big chunk of how we discovered some (emphasis on some) of the genetic and biophysiological markers of violent offenders. Brain studies, gene studies. In addition, people have studied them intensely, including school records and interviews with childhood teachers and friends, all that kind of thing.

I think the consensus right now is that it's roughly 50/50. Nature and nurture. Physical trauma to the brain can cause the biophysiological traits (in the brain) that are associated with being a violent offender, it's not necessarily genes, but the overall issues in the brain are similar within this group (and there are subgroups, with one of the major subgroups having a known genetic anomaly).
Makes a lot of sense to me. I’m sure it’s probably so many factors, and maybe sometimes there’s a perfect storm that come together and make a monster. MOO

The police and FBI have not found the knife and are still searching according to the recent news press conference of the police chief. I am incredibly impressed and thrilled with law enforcement‘s excellent job finding BK. Am I the only person who doesn’t think they will ever find the knife? It could be in various trash dumps Washington, Idaho, rest stops, Pennsylvania, McDonald’s along the way, dug in holes between Washington and Pennsylvania, into sewers, , tossed down canyons….that I don’t think they will come up with.
Agreed on the knife: I think he was more interested in getting away with it than keeping a momento. If I had to guess .. Deep waters or somewhere to never be seen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bfred1221