ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the thing for me. What could four 20 somethings have done or not done that would result in this? I don’t think this is anyone they know. I think this is either random or mistaken identity. (My current thinking that could change)
What could five university students have done in Calgary? Nothing. They did nothing to deserve this. Their killer was having a psychotic break. He had been invited as a guest to what was by all accounts a quiet party.

Just to add. 3am doesn’t mean the crime happened at 3am. I just think that they are confident that there are no documentable activity AFTER 3am. They could have been sleeping for who knows how long.

I’m curious how they determined the back half of the window if bodies weren’t discovered until later in the afternoon.

They obviously have something (and a lot more) that they are not disclosing.
Or it’s when the sun came up so they figured he had to have left before then…..

I don't think they have any understanding of this case at all, except that four people were stabbed to death in their beds in the middle of the night. Someone targeted these students in this house in a rural neighborhood. Multiple stab wounds. No motive. Two roommates who had been out of town and returned home less than two hours before the four victims arrived home. I doubt the killer had knowledge of the other two roommates; otherwise he would have targeted them also.
BBM

Where did you see surviving roommates were out of town until two hours before? From the official police website for this crime, it states: "Detectives believe that on November 12th, the two surviving roommates had also been out in the Moscow community, separately, but returned home by 1 a.m. on November 13th. The two did not wake up until later that morning."

What could five university students have done in Calgary? Nothing. They did nothing to deserve this. Their killer was having a psychotic break. He had been invited as a guest to what was by all accounts a quiet party.
To clarify, I am in no way suggesting they deserved this. I mean to say I think it’s very possible they had no interactions that they knew of with the murderer before this.

I suppose psychotic break is possible but the odds are probably so low. How many people have psychotic breaks every day? Maybe the person is evil?

I will read that link on the Calgary murders. It’s not a case I know about.

With LE saying Whoever did this made a mess IE very sloppy I’m starting to think The perp being SECRETLY obsessed with one of the girls And Is very deranged, But whoever did this had To have knowledge of The Layout inside the house, If He entered Thru the back of the house On ground floor( actually would be 2nd floor, whose bedroom would he come to first? That would prob be his 1st victim, Does Anyone know Who stayed in what bedroom on 2nd floor and 3rd? .. If We can find out, We may be able to ascertain who was attacked first and In what order, It just commen sense He would start with the nearest bedroom to the back door, then work his way upstairs To 3rd floor Right?
Without knowing what kind of night lighting, if any, was being used in the house, or how many electronic devices had LEDs or lighted displays to provide light, or whether any outside ligthing was a factor, I think it's impossible to say whether prior knowledge of the building layout would be required to allow free movement. I thought the same thing, initially, and then I realized that my own place is remarkably well lit at night, even with the lights off, because of all of the gadgets.

I guess it makes sense to start at the first victim you come to, but it also might make sense to go to the farthest victim and work back toward the point of egress. As far as the mess, I'm extremely interested to know what this means, exactly, aside from the obvious mess that results from four people bleeding out.

The presence or absence of DNA for the perpetrator should be a telling detail.

I think it likely they do have evidence of this and that it will lead to resolution of the case soon.

Reactions: d4j
The presence or absence of DNA for the perpetrator should be a telling detail.

I think it likely they do have evidence of this and that it will lead to resolution of the case soon.
There has to be DNA unless the perp wore special meat cutting gloves to keep from cutting himself during this frenzy, How diabolical would it be to go as far as getting these special gloves

Agree with this except I don’t know that the first floor was ever a basement. With the hilly terrain in this area around campus (& other parts of town), that kind of construction is common & those living areas aren’t considered “basements” per se. Moo.

I don’t know when the third floor was added but think it was pre-2000 for sure & perhaps pre-1990?

For the sake of transparency, the home was originally only what we call the ground floor or the areas where the two survivors were located on the bottom floor. For many years, the small ground floor remained until one owner added the back two units, all at once, to include both rooms with the sliding doors on the 2nd and 3rd floors, respectively.

That entire two level addition built onto or rather is attached to the original home; thereby extending the King Rd home into 6 bdrms. Killer learning the layout; takes about as long as it takes us.

Shifting topics: What was the trigger for the killer? Was it bc students would soon leave for the Holiday? Who was the killer so angry at and why?

What is the benefit found in the deaths of the four students? Who gained something as a result of this brutal attack upon life itself? i remain outraged.

There could be another angle. Maybe not secretly obsessed with one of them, but RAGING mad at one of them. So mad, he didn’t care who else was collateral damage. And so mad he was sloppy because it truly was not a calculated, well thought out murder.
I’m not sure I’m buying everyone else’s interpretation of LE’s use of the word ‘sloppy’. Seems like there’s some underlying assumptions that people are making. That somehow the killer likely left behind incriminating evidence and made a lot of mistakes. But how could they tell that early?

At that time there was likely no way to tell what blood belonged to who. Nor could they tell what fingerprints belonged to who. And if they had any larger pieces of evidence from the popular interpretation of the word ‘sloppy’we’d probably have a killer off the streets right now.

I think they likely meant the killer left behind such a mess of a crime scene (hence the maybe blood on the outside walls) that there was likely incriminating evidence left behind and they would know soon. Because it was too early to tell. Sloppy = unprofessional, first timer, messy.

I think the nuance there is super important. Akin to A sloppy bank robber hastily leaving behind their mask that likely has dna vs a bank robber leaving behind a sloppy scene with a note, and strewn bags of 100s. All having an equal chance of containing a fingerprint.

Both are sloppy. The latter is a lot more likely to be a big fat nothinburger.

I don't know how often quadruple stabbing murders in the victims' home occurs, but there must be a limited number of these. Surely there is some sort of profile for this kind of killer. Have police profilers said anything yet? Mental illness/psychotic break?
I don't remmber the exact words he used, but in the press conference today one of the LE men that was speaking, told how many local police, state police, and FBI officers and support personnel were assigned to the case, and he mentioned I believe that 2 FBI profilers were assigned but they (the profilers) didn't finish their assessment yet, or perhaps hadn;t shared it with LE yet

BBM

Where did you see surviving roommates were out of town until two hours before? From the official police website for this crime, it states: "Detectives believe that on November 12th, the two surviving roommates had also been out in the Moscow community, separately, but returned home by 1 a.m. on November 13th. The two did not wake up until later that morning."

"The police said the two surviving housemates had each been out of town, separately, on Saturday and had returned to the house by about 1 a.m."
Source: 1,000 Tips, No Suspects: Latest on the University of Idaho Killings

Just piping in to say the coroner Cathy Mabbutt said on the Ashleigh Banfield podcast from Nov 17, when asked if that was blood on the exterior wall from the crime scene that yes it was based on her observations. Then Banfield asked if it was consistent with coming from a victim bedroom and the coroner said yes. It was in the last 10 or so minutes of the podcast.

The murders occurred in the early AM on November 13. Why weren’t autopsies done until 4 days later, November 17? Why the delay? Has this already been discussed here? So strange!! MOO

Last edited:
Agree with this except I don’t know that the first floor was ever a basement. With the hilly terrain in this area around campus (& other parts of town), that kind of construction is common & those living areas aren’t considered “basements” per se. Moo.

I don’t know when the third floor was added but think it was pre-2000 for sure & perhaps pre-1990?

For the sake of transparency, the home was originally only what we call the ground floor or the areas where the two survivors were located on the bottom floor. For many years, the small ground floor remained until one owner added the back two units, all at once, to include both rooms with the sliding doors on the 2nd and 3rd floors, respectively.

That entire two level addition built onto or rather is attached to the original home; thereby extending the King Rd home into 6 bdrms. Killer learning the layout; takes about as long as it takes us.

Shifting topics: What was the trigger for the killer? Was it bc students would soon leave for the Holiday? Who was the killer so angry at and why?

What is the benefit found in the deaths of the four students? Who gained something as a result of this brutal attack upon life itself? i remain outraged.

So I've read through most but definitely not all of the threads here and I didn't see if anyone has mentioned the Ring app called "Neighbors" where if someone has video they want to share they can share it or keep it to themselves. It's like a network where people have caught package thieves, found lost dogs etc. It's not the most sophisticated camera system of course, but if enough people in proximity have a camera or four pointed in the right direction, they may have picked someone up. Honestly proximity might not even matter-at the time of the murders anyone walking, driving, biking, within a two mile radius -would have stood out in the early morning hours. I know that maybe renting students wouldn't have them (personally, when my kids head out into the world they're going to get a whole camera package as a gift and I will nail them up aaaallll over wherever they choose to live) but there are also "regular" adults living there, and of course businesses, so hopefully when the police called for the public's help in submitting footage, people will go back through their alerts and see something. For those of you that don't have Ring or similar, your phone can be set to alert you if movement is detected and you can pull it up immediately or view it later within a certain time frame. IMO.

No it doesn't. There are three floors. Victims found on floor 2 and 3. Floor 2 has direct access from sliding glass door (that coincidentally has evidence tape on both sides of it). Floor 1 has a keypad entry and was locked, and is where the bedrooms of the surviving roomates were. Police have confirmed "no signs of forced entry"... aka.. in all likelihood killer entered thru 2nd floor sliding door. Remember....house is on a hill. Entrance to 1st floor is in the back/parking area. Entrance to 2nd floor/glass door is up the hill in front.
I am confused as to how this responds to my post implying that blood was perhaps on the 1st floor. That discussion hasn't really been explored in regards to blood being on the first floor. Not even after it was revealed that the roommates did in fact call 911 (or rather their phone was used). There was a lot of discussion about whether or not the roommates saw an unconscious body or a dead body. I think the idea that there was blood discovered on the first floor indicates that those roommates did, in fact, know there was a bloody scene upstairs. One way or the other.

I thought it was said out "in" town...
I quoted the article directly. It was first published other places that they were "in the Moscow community" but that narrative has since been revised, at least from what I can tell by this article and more recent public updates.

This may be as nonsensical as the attack by Ted Bundy. No one knows why he picked his victims. He was a cunning psychopath. Maybe we have another one...

Seems like a stretch, but I wonder if those calls were from the killer using K & M’s phones after they were killed, with the purpose of luring J over to kill him too. Maybe the killer had a vendetta against that whole group of friends. Although with the two girls downstairs not being harmed, maybe not. Not sure how much those girls are a core part of their group.
I saw that they were new there

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed due to no link to images>

My husband said it sounds like the killer was the type who is really into knives and probably took some kind of class like a karate class for six times.

The killer considers himself to be a real special fighter.

So someone who has been really interested in the martial arts that use use knives

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member