ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another poster on a previous thread suggested to me that maybe the killer deliberately left the other victims alive because he was done kiling. I'm not sure if it was the same poster, but another suggestion was that maybe the killer got some sense of power over deciding to kil 4 and spare 2. Paraphrasing but "god complex" was the concept iirc.
Police have said that this was "targeted". I understand that to mean that one of the victims was the target. I'm guessing that the reason police say that it was targeted is that one of the victims had more, or different, injuries. Maybe he spent a little more time with one of the victims. That's just a guess.

If the culprit entered the house via the kitchen sliding door (red crime scene tape on door), and if his target was on the third floor (easy to see into the bedrooms from hill behind house), then perhaps he thought it was best to kill everyone on the second floor before going to the third floor - to reduce chances of being caught. Eliminate witnesses or anyone who could run out of the house before the culprit did. Numbers 5 and 6 are interchangeable.

1669261729321.png

“Latah County (Idaho) Coroner Cathy Mabbutt declined to discuss the case with RadarOnline.com referring all questions to the Moscow police department.”

I’d decline to talk to RadarOnline, too. Moo
Well, "Renowned forensic pathologist Dr. Michael Baden" did talk to them apparently. What's important is what he said and the fact that the victims may have been drugged, and finding that out in the toxicology report would be extremely important. Just thinking about that possibility is a different angle. BTW, this news article is from the MSN news feed.

If guy followed the girls home, he could have seen them enter either door. I think he knew them (but they never noticed him), then when he got up the courage to speak to one or both of them, he got blasted and probably laughed at.

That area doesn't lend itself to following somebody in a vehicle. narrow, tight roads, dead ends, cul de sacs. I don't see it.

Looking at the floor layout, questions arise about who they were targeting. Assuming they entered through the 2nd floor sliding door (I don't see them risk getting seen while entering the third floor bedroom directly through the sliding door)
1. If they were only after X or E, there would have been no reason to go to the third floor. The fact that they killed people on two levels leads me to believe that this was more a thrill kill than a targeted attack on only one individual.
2. If they were after K or M, they could have easily gone up the stairs to the third floor, without going back into the bedroom where X and E were. If K or M were the target, the only reason I'd see for them to kill XE would be if they didn't know who was in each room. This would point me towards someone who was not familiar with the house and room assignments.

On a different subject of what LE walked into, I wonder if things were staged to look like a murder suicide. That's what went through my head when LE announced that there was no threat to public safety so quickly. I realize the murder weapon hasn't been found, but they could have easily taken a knife from the kitchen to set the scene, and it could explain why LE didn't immediately react to potential evidence outside of the house.

All MOO
Interesting thought! Police did assume at first that it was a murder suicide, and misleading evidence or staging would explain why that was confidently announced.

One reason the second floor tenant and her boyfriend were victims could be to eliminate risk, especially if they were still awake. If they heard him and called 911, he could be trapped in the house, or caught nearby.

Regarding eliminating second floor tenants, but not first floor tenants, might have to do with the structure of the house. Not sure.

I never said the killer wouldn't have access to the third floor steps. They are present but not clearly marked on the DailyMail version. What I did say is the steps to the third floor are opposite those to the first floor which could lead to not even seeing them in the dark were Ethan and Xana in Bedroom 3 or if they came out of either bedroom to confront the killer. Ethan's parents said his body was found in a hall, and it has been posted here that the intruder entered through the kitchen slider. Neither of these were confirmed by LE.Screen Shot 2022-11-23 at 9.46.27 PM.png

Last edited:
Police have said that this was "targeted". I understand that to mean that one of the victims was the target. I'm guessing that the reason police say that it was targeted is that one of the victims had more, or different, injuries. Maybe he spent a little more time with one of the victims. That's just a guess.

If the culprit entered the house via the kitchen sliding door (red crime scene tape on door), and if his target was on the third floor (easy to see into the bedrooms from hill behind house), then perhaps he thought it was best to kill everyone on the second floor before going to the third floor - to reduce chances of being caught. Eliminate witnesses or anyone who could run out of the house before the culprit did. Numbers 5 and 6 are interchangeable.

View attachment 382271
If he was watching them that night from the windows it’s likely the four victims were hanging out on the second floor with the living room. The girls might have been eating their food, letting out dog, before heading upstairs to call the ex bf. If the two surviving roommates weren’t hanging on the second floor that night with them maybe he just didn’t fixate on them. IMO the surviving roommates were likely downstairs in bed when the victims got home for the night.

Interesting thought! Police did assume at first that it was a murder suicide, and misleading evidence or staging would explain why that was confidently announced.

One reason the second floor tenant and her boyfriend were victims could be to eliminate risk, especially if they were still awake. If they heard him and called 911, he could be trapped in the house, or caught nearby.

Regarding eliminating second floor tenants, but not first floor tenants, might have to do with the structure of the house. Not sure.
i did not know they announced that previously

If he was watching them that night from the windows it’s likely the four victims were hanging out on the second floor with the living room. The girls might have been eating their food, letting out dog, before heading upstairs to call the ex bf. If the two surviving roommates weren’t hanging on the second floor that night with them maybe he just didn’t fixate on them. IMO the surviving roommates were likely downstairs in bed when the victims got home for the night.
must be frightening for them thinking they could have been murdered, and knowing their friends were murdered while they slept

The 911 call…while it does seem strange that the callers would invite people over prior to calling 911, most college students don’t anticipate that their roommates will be murdered. I am imagining there was a lot of blood tracked between floor 2 and 3, that was visible, they may have just been scared and didn’t know what to do, probably in shock. More than likely, being college students, they had partied the night before, passed out and when they awoke, still a little groggy, drunk. I would imagine a great deal of shock was involved. I am wondering however if they may have mentioned a name when they called 911 and that was why the call hasn’t been released, like maybe so and so killed so and so. I think the person who is the killer may somehow know these victims, there seems to be so much rage involved. Stabbing four people to death, so badly that blood came out on the outer walls of the house, this was someone very angry.

In an earlier thread I questioned if there had ever been a 6th roommate. After looking a bit at Maddie’s Instagram, it seems like it was only ever the 5 of them (post from 8/16). If that’s the case, not sure why they’d be looking for a 6th, but yes maybe a new one to fill Kaylee’s spot?

Likely, but remember Instagram posts can be archived.. or deleted. There could have been another roommate at some point we don’t know. Upon friendships or relationships ending most people do the old dirty delete or archive.

I’m caught up - didn’t think it would happen. So 2 questions.

For those who think the perp is female, can you point me to cases where a knife mass murder of non-family members was committed by a female?

Second, is it possible the cops have used cell phone data to determine the times the various housemates arrived back home?

Thx!
There was mention of the wifi router and whether it logged any connections to cell phones and I believe LE indicated that they had looked into that. As far as cell phone pings on towers, I haven't heard. I did notice a water tower very near to the house and, in my rural county cellular equipment is typically mounted on water towers where they are available. If that's the case in Moscow, then I'm not sure anyone was out of range of that tower, or if there is another tower in town.

I’m caught up - didn’t think it would happen. So 2 questions.

For those who think the perp is female, can you point me to cases where a knife mass murder of non-family members was committed by a female?

Second, is it possible the cops have used cell phone data to determine the times the various housemates arrived back home?

Thx!
Here’s one: Selfies of a female serial killer on the run: Woman who stabbed three men in the heart pictured with a terrifying knife while dodging police with her alleged accomplice

The 911 call…while it does seem strange that the callers would invite people over prior to calling 911, most college students don’t anticipate that their roommates will be murdered. I am imagining there was a lot of blood tracked between floor 2 and 3, that was visible, they may have just been scared and didn’t know what to do, probably in shock. More than likely, being college students, they had partied the night before, passed out and when they awoke, still a little groggy, drunk. I would imagine a great deal of shock was involved. I am wondering however if they may have mentioned a name when they called 911 and that was why the call hasn’t been released, like maybe so and so killed so and so. I think the person who is the killer may somehow know these victims, there seems to be so much rage involved. Stabbing four people to death, so badly that blood came out on the outer walls of the house, this was someone very angry.
people always act like they know what they would do or how they would react in such situations, but the truth is we don't know. it may seem illogical because nobody knows how they would react

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crunchy Riff