ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be wrong, but, I believe that the coroner was the first person to say that one was targeted (LE had reported that the coroner had indicated that). I know that LE is saying it now, but, just as "repeating" what the coroner had said. Again, I may be wrong about that :)
This might give us some insight. Maybe one of the 4 victims demonstrated signs of “over kill” (not sure if that term is still used in LE. I think some elements of ‘Passion’ has since replaced it) or maybe a carving?

So either one of these two scenarios:

Coroner receives some piece of evidence from LE that this was likely a targeted killing. Coroner finds supporting evidence via the wounds inflicted on one of the victims. Significantly more wounds to one of them than the rest ( overkill ) or a carving of some sorts exclusive to one body .

OR

The Coroner himself found signs of overkill or a carving on one of the victims and notified the police that this was likely a targeted killing.

The four University of Idaho students murdered with a KBAR knife last weekend may have been murdered by more than one killer, according to famed forensic pathologist Dr. Cyril Wecht.

whats the motive for 2 people to both want to stab 4 people to death?

They brought in a German Shepherd, but there are no crime scene markers as a result of that search. IMO, I would have brought in another dog just to see if the German Shepherd missed anything. The unsub got in and out of the house somehow. It is hard for me to believe there is ZERO transfer evidence somewhere outside the house considering it was a bloody mess inside.
Dogs would have a really hard time with that crime scene. We know that new people showed up the next day before police was called.

Its almost Turkey time for me. Please remember to take sanity breaks when needed. Wishing you all well and if are are blessed to have family and can gather with them or call them today please do. I hope to be on later but I may be in a food coma.

They brought in a German Shepherd, but there are no crime scene markers as a result of that search. IMO, I would have brought in another dog just to see if the German Shepherd missed anything. The unsub got in and out of the house somehow. It is hard for me to believe there is ZERO transfer evidence somewhere outside the house considering it was a bloody mess inside.
I've seen pictures from different news sites that have shown a few different shepherd breeds being used. I know ISP has a few different dogs they run in the eastern Idaho area as well as a number of other close by agencies and several private training companies in the area. All have been used in a tracking capacity in this area by LE.

“On November 13, surviving roommates summoned friends to the residence because they believed one of the second-floor victims had passed out and was not waking up. At 11:58 a.m.,” - Surviving roommates believe one of the second floor victims had passed out. If 5 people are living in a house, What would be an individual first instinct as to who to call first if she finds one of her roommate had passed out or unconscious? Is there a reason why she/they didn’t reach out to the third floor roommates first? Or maybe they did but I did not see any reports of them doing so. Do they have a reason to believe that their third floor roommates are not presents or available thereby calling friends who aren’t living in the house was the first action taken?

The call originated from inside the residence on one of the surviving roommates’ cell phone.- Police indicated that “friend/s” who came over called 911 using one of the surviving roommates cellphone. Are they too distraught to speak to 911?

Officers entered the residence and found two victims on the second floor and two victims on the third floor.” - Is there any reports indicating that any of the surviving roommates or friends who came over attempted to call or check on the third floor roommates? If you’re living in a house with 4 roommates and you find one of them unconscious on the second floor, do you think it’s reasonable to worry about the third floor occupants as well or is there a reason for them to believe their roommates at the top floor were not present?

Every individual reactions to situations varies, more specially when it involves seeing a dead friend on the floor, however reports have suggested that the surviving roommates believe was an unconscious roommate on the floor, not dead. This is significant because their actions point towards seeing a body of a dead friend instead of just an unconscious roommate.

Bingo here IMO. This is also why I think LE is taunting with the "messy" statements. The killer enjoyed the planning and execution. If you've ever watched someone prep for an EMT shift, ER shift, SAR event, etc., that's the degree of planning and organization to which I'm referring. I think to them it may be like mise en place for a proficient baker, for ex. ICBW, probably am, but interesting that this profiler who has only info from media, too, has stated so much of this. Also very scary. In the cases of the other two 13th murders linked above in OR and WA, both on Friday or a weekend, maybe the person has a day job and the money to pursue their interests in their off times.
I always remember that the FBI profilers said that the unibomber was a uneducated person living in a big city. Turns out to be a genius hiding in the wilderness.

MOO……I keep going back to the dog not barking and the fact that there is no reward. I think LE likely knows who it is, now it’s just a matter of gathering evidence/putting it all together.
Rewards might work for gang members who are known in the neighborhood. I don't think rewards will make the difference of weather college students come forward or not.

Reminder to posters here. This is real life. Not a whodunit movie. Even though it might feel like one since it’s on your TV and computer.

Since WS is one of the most respected True Crime communities on the planet….your words can have real world consequences for those impacted directly or indirectly by this awful crime.

There are billions of people on planet earth. Just because you saw 1 socially awkward one on TV it doesn’t automatically make them a suspect.

MOO……I keep going back to the dog not barking and the fact that there is no reward. I think LE likely knows who it is, now it’s just a matter of gathering evidence/putting it all together.
Do we have a source for the dog apparently not barking? And if it was from the survivors can we be sure they would have 100% heard the dog anyway if say it was on the third floor and they were on the lower level? No barking also doesn’t mean no growling. Just thinking out loud MOO

Playing the percentages, though, I think that the target was probably the last person killed. At that point, he would have thought, "Mission accomplished!" I don't think that he would have hung around committing extra murders and risked being apprehended or wounded.

Agreed. Saved the 'best' for last. I actually wonder if it could have been both K&M, too. I'm also wondering about "staging" but that's overactive imagination, nothing more that leads me there other than LE general stmts about targeting.

Thank you for the info.

YW. Such a positive way for me to spend time on Thanksgiving...

Coroner receives some piece of evidence from LE that this was likely a targeted killing. Coroner finds supporting evidence via the wounds inflicted on one of the victims. Significantly more wounds to one of them than the rest ( overkill ) or a carving of some sorts exclusive to one body .

OR

The Coroner himself found signs of overkill or a carving on one of the victims and notified the police that this was likely a targeted killing.

Just a fine point on this: The ID coroner is an elected position. She contracts out the autopsies to Spokane ME Coroner

In the McStay family murder case, it took almost five years to make an arrest. And in that case, the perp was a close associate of the father, and had a police record. It took more than a decade before they arrested Rader for the Otero family murders. So we better be prepared for the long haul in this case, though I'm pretty confident they will get their man in the end.

LE said the attack was targeted. If it was targeted toward one victim, it seems that could help narrow the scope of the investigation.

Police said in the press conference on November 23rd that they are still looking at this as a targeted attack, but would not say who the target was.
"Very clearly, from the beginning, we said that we believe it was a targeted attack," said Captain Roger Lanier, with the Moscow Police Department. "I mean, to be honest, you're going to have to trust us on that at this point because we're not going to release why we think that."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kittycanfind