Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really doubt LE would carry one. IMO.
Also just speculation but I highly doubt the knife came from ROTC or any military connection.
Me either. That kind of knife isn't standard issue. I have a military family member and gave them a similar knife as a gift, but they didn't have one in their military-issued gear. Some people like them for display. Others who are outdoorsmen or who live in a rural setting use a knife like that for practical all-purpose use.

There has been some speculation that the liquid dripping down the outside of the foundation wall was heating oil possibly dropping from the pipe seen in the photos. The attached property tax record for that residence shows it is heated with electricity (although I'm not sure why the record shows it is only 2 bedrooms). The home address, owner, and tax parcel shown on this document all matches the address for that residence so I know it's for the same house. Also, not sure why someone renting a 6-bedroom would heat with heating oil. If the owner transferred the cost of the oil to the residents that would be very difficult to do with renters as renters come and go all the time. The house would be heated with something where a monthly bill would be paid so the costs can be evenly split. I'm not saying the substance was blood, but it doesn't sound like a pipe leak either (if you really look really close at the photos of the wall/pipe, it looks like some of that liquid is actually running down onto that pipe too).

Attachments

• 7knff2sq5g1a1.jpeg
    7knff2sq5g1a1.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 17
I think it’s very likely that the 911 operator, besides coding the call as ‘unconscious,’ passed a message to LE that made them think they should go in first.

Or, they were the first to arrive, so of course they went in, rather than waiting for the medical personnel.
Thank you. Thats what I was wondering if there was something in the 911 call which made it seem like a crime scene rather than only medical emergency, hence the police.

Dogs would have a really hard time with that crime scene. We know that new people showed up the next day before police was called.
presumably the new people did not exit through the slider and the woods.... unless they did!

possible that the offender sprayed something weird and stinky that would confuse a dog? lysol? doe urine? vinegar? are the search dogs always able to block out another scent? this would have required planning of course.

MOO: I think they might have some sort of digital/random evidence. Like maybe one of the victims managed to grab their phone and dial "9" (I for one sleep with my phone under my pillow) or maybe a clock was knocked off the nightstand/wall and stopped. Or, as it has been said that the surviving roommate(s) heard something, they might know what time it was that they heard whatever they heard.
Seconding the hunch, wondered what additional data they're working with.

Phones and other devices like fitness trackers, smart watches, etc. all collect a plethora of data - anything from the obvious points of info like ingoing/outgoing comms, but also motion and biometric data. Something like screen unlocks, or even the phone's accelerometer registering being picked up (not answered, mind you - simply being physically lifted in prep to unlock) could help pinpoint times.

How exactly could anyone “scare off” a homicidal person engaged in a brutal, fatal attack? Unless the motive is not fueled by sudden, out of control frenzy but more about what a deranged mind searches for, connecting obscure dots known only to him and thereby identifying unsuspecting and defenseless Target/s.
There are significant parallels IMO between these crimes.
..During Travis’ murder, a friend was sleeping in another room. The friend was staying over to pet-sit because the couple were supposed to go on a trip to Hawaii the next day. The friend was woken by the commotion and is believed to have scared off the attacker, before calling 911.

…a pet dog was also left unharmed in her son’s home when he was killed.

I had forgotten about this one. Gives me the chills the similarities.

I'm at the very start diving in to this case, so Im sorry if this has been discussed. I'm just curious if it is normal (in US) for LE to be the first responder when there's a call about unconscious person? I would imagine it rather be a medical unit.
That's actually a really good question.

I'm not caught up yet however i am posting this with hopes that somebody will see something. Thanksgiving is tomorrow((Technically today)) kids are home. if this was a student i REALLY hope that that they cut their hands up and they are deeply noticed by family who then report it. even better if they do not ask questions to tip the POI off. gahhh.
I keep wondering whether there’s a family member (or multiple) out there who is eyeing one of their own wondering “did he murder those students?” Is there a mom, sister, brother, etc., who has a sick suspicion?

I can’t stop thinking how painful this holiday must be for the families of Xana, Ethan,
Kaylee and Madison. My heart breaks for them.

if youre stabbed in the chest, you cant scream - id imagine you cant even catch your breath. Also its believed they were all sleeping when attacked, it could all have happened with very little sound that could be heard outside the room. jmo.
I wonder if medics got to them right after the crime happened would they have survived?

Thank you. Thats what I was wondering if there was something in the 911 call which made it seem like a crime scene rather than only medical emergency, hence the police.
I'm pretty sure I read that observers at the scene said EMS never arrived at the scene.

I'm at the very start diving in to this case, so Im sorry if this has been discussed. I'm just curious if it is normal (in US) for LE to be the first responder when there's a call about unconscious person? I would imagine it rather be a medical unit.
No one will know for sure until we hear the 911 call.

If the call was initially a “omg send help quickly!” with no specifics the operator may just send everyone. And when they finally nail down what’s going on they can go back and code it. But this doesn’t seem like the case.

A call coded as “Unconscious Person” doesn’t necessarily mean the caller didn’t give other signs or evidence that something more nefarious happened. 911 operators are trained to look for certain signs that there may be more there than the caller realizes. Could they have seen bloody footprints or finger prints on or outside of the door? Could they see evidence of blood coming from under the door and assumed it was a suicide? Could they have told the operator that they saw something strange in the house the night before and initially dismissed it?

Honestly just saying “His/her car is outside and this is really unlike this person to sleep this late” is probably enough to send LE and EMT/Fire. And if LE are closest (they are not stationary at a station so this is often the case). They’ll be the first on the scene.

Another thing to keep in mind is that every town/city/county structures their first responder and dispatch systems different.

In some larger cities there are dedicated EMS and ambulatory services. A Separate and distinct service from police and fire.

In other places EMTs are part of the fire department. So you get a fire truck along with an ambulance.

In places with limited resources EMTs are dedicated parts of the police force. This is distinct from police having EMT training.

I haven’t looked at how dispatch works in Moscow. But would be interesting to know.

I'm pretty sure I read that observers at the scene said EMS never arrived at the scene.

In a small place like Moscow I wonder if LE was there so quickly that they were able to cancel ambulatory / EMS services. Which tells me the scene must have been REALLY bad.

Or maybe the roommates couldn’t confirm that people were actually in the room. And weren’t sure if they ever came home or left that morning.

I remember a lot of days in college where my roommate would end up sleeping in a random place and I wouldn’t see them for an entire day.

That's actually a really good question.
This is going to vary from place to place, I think, but in a small town, I think it would be typical that the nearest available first responders would respond. Law enforcement often finds themselves in a position to render medical aid before the ambulance arrives.

Actually a few days ago a local member explained that Fire and Emergency medical is run by volunteers so it is standard for LE to respond first.

I think it’s very likely that the 911 operator, besides coding the call as ‘unconscious,’ passed a message to LE that made them think they should go in first.

Or, they were the first to arrive, so of course they went in, rather than waiting for the medical personnel.

MOO
In certain types of calls, the police must be at the scene before paramedics are allowed to intervene. The dispatcher would dispatch both police and paramedics to a domestic violence call, for example. The paramedics would not enter until police clear the scene. Police are armed. It's about safety. Police go in first.

How exactly could anyone “scare off” a homicidal person engaged in a brutal, fatal attack? Unless the motive is not fueled by sudden, out of control frenzy but more about what a deranged mind searches for, connecting obscure dots known only to him and thereby identifying unsuspecting and defenseless Target/s.
There are significant parallels IMO between these crimes.
..During Travis’ murder, a friend was sleeping in another room. The friend was staying over to pet-sit because the couple were supposed to go on a trip to Hawaii the next day. The friend was woken by the commotion and is believed to have scared off the attacker, before calling 911.

…a pet dog was also left unharmed in her son’s home when he was killed.

Yes agree - also says a lot about “cowardice” of killer. Very comfortable killing defenceless people in their sleep but the minute they are faced with someone awake and attempting to scare them off - they run instead of attacking (when they’re the one with the weapon). The parallels between the two cases do seem interesting.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed for insinuations against a non-POI>

I believe this is the interview referenced - scroll wayyy down:
Blueprints show where each Idaho student was found stabbed to death
Thanks for the article link, I'm behind so maybe this was already mentioned but WOW some interesting info there that's new (or not as I don't know every spec of detail in the case):

1. Says dog was inside home during attack. Noreports of dog confronting the killer or being injured during the murders
2. Says TWO victims showed defense wounds
3. I'm shocked to see 3rd floor victims were in separate rooms, I thought they were in same room
4. A bunch of fraternity guys showed up at food truck (not on video?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow