ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
general DNA question in this case I feel there is some just not pinging anywhere, it is my understanding that the familial dna / genetic genealogy has been used mostly on older cold cases, has it become commonplace practice that it is used earlier in an investigation now? I am not sure the expense involved and if all investigators are using it, I would think the FBI has access rather quickly. but not sure. Anyone?

I find it interesting they the the Dad not only thinks the killer is sick and twisted but that the killer would go to the funeral. He must really be confident in the stalker angle. Or is he just hurting so much that he is doing what he can out of protective instinct.
I think the killer often attends services, vigils, searches ... unless it is truly random and someone passing through town...

From interview:

Reporter - You know, when you talked about getting into the phone, you said we have family passwords and you know we were able to get in there. Is there anything that you can share with us about what you learned there or people she was communicating with?. We know there was a back and forth between she and her on and off boyfriend through the course of the night.

Dad - There was some information, we were able to get that to the police officers. I think it definitely helped them. I know behaviour footprint, afterwards, it did definitely get some more things in the works, but I'm a historical fact person, I can help them know my daughters and Maddie from past, but going forward I'm going to be less and less relevant.

Reporter - Do you believe that your daughter was the target?. Or do you have any reason to think that she was, over someone else or that someone else was?.

Dad - I do have some inkling that there was some behaviour difference. I call them a footprint. When you commit a crime you do different behaviours. I've asked permission to give any of that out and they told me, no, it would not be beneficial. So, I've held back on that and I tried to keep my word.

Reporter - I'm sorry, behaviour of her or someone she knew?.

Dad - Behaviour of the victims.

Let's pretend for a second that K has a friend named Kyle. Not a romantic interest, just a regular ol' friend that her family and other friends have known for quite some time. Imagine if K's dad is looking though K's phone and sees that all the text history from Kyle is wiped from her phone. He then sees they are no longer "friends" or "followers" on social media. Any/all emails between them are deleted. MOO This could be what he's talking about with the behavior footprint of the victims he observed via her phone (and possibly Maddie's? Have we ever learned how K's sister knew Maddie had placed those calls to J right after K did? Did K's sister get access to M's phone?)

The speculation in this post is that the killer(s) maybe did something on K's phone or all the victim's phones in attempt to wipe certain history that may incriminate themself/themselves. This would appear as the behavior of the victims. This is just wild speculation that I'm trying to make fit into what is possibly just a grammar error from K's dad during the interview. Grain of salt recommended.
BBM.
Since this is transcribed from a spoken interview, it's unclear if the father is saying "behavior of the victim's" (singular) or "behavior of the victims/victims'" (plural).

Attachments

• IMG-6808.jpeg
    IMG-6808.jpeg
    343.9 KB · Views: 68
I find it interesting they the the Dad not only thinks the killer is sick and twisted but that the killer would go to the funeral. He must really be confident in the stalker angle. Or is he just hurting so much that he is doing what he can out of protective instinct.
I was say that anyone who committed a crime like this is indeed sick and twisted. However, I also think this is just a grieving father that is struggling to cope with the murder of his daughter. I can't even imagine what he is going through.

or who wanted in state tuition

University of Idaho's tuition is $8,396 for in-state and $27,632 for out-of-state students. Compared with the national average cost of in-state tuition of $11,286, University of Idaho is cheaper.

University of Idaho - Tuition and Financial Aid - USNews.com

The University of Idaho is part of a compact with many other western states that allows for students in these states to attend U of I by paying only 150% for out-of-state tuition, versus the usual 300% surcharge for out-of-state tuition. So it is an attractive option for students who live out-of-state in states that are part of that agreement. Students who live in states who are not part of this agreement, and international students, have to pay a 300% tuition surcharge to attend U of Idaho due to their out-of-state residency status.

Edited to complete the last sentence

I was wondering how good cut resistant gloves are... anyone have them?
amazon ad: "

The cut resistant fabric keeps the knicks, scrapes and cuts away.​

These gloves are cut resistant all over - the front, the back, the side. So when you’re working with sharp blades, these gloves act as a second protective layer. But - they’re NOT cut proof so - even when the gloves are on - common sense rules around knives and sharp pointy things still apply."

to me this sounds like they are resistant, but no guarantee that a full on slice or jab would not penetrate...

Last edited:
If it took over three weeks for us and police to learn that there are probably 6 roommates instead of 5 then I don't think we are going to have any suspects before Christmas.
We have no way of knowing how long it took the police to learn that. The police are almost certainly cognizant of the fact the perpetrator is likely following the case. Thus the police are going to be very strategic about what info they release, when they release it and whether what they release is truth or fiction.

I keep seeing that K had moved out yet I can't seem to locate a link to confirm that she had moved so would you please provide a link. I know she was going to graduate but haven't seen anywhere that she had taken finals so I'm wondering why she would actually move before finals. Any links would be appreciated.
I'm guessing that she had no finals, that she had completed her course work duing the spring 2022 semester and/or the summer semester and just had a senior project or something like that to complete this fall. If she completed her degree requirements in the summer, she would get her degree at the December graduation.

JMO Soooooo ex roommate was told to move out? Then proceeds to get revenge by going on a crazed bloodbath murder spree butchering 4 people?

Seems at bit……………...much.

I would have to know the entire circumstances of such an event. People can get enraged over ongoing roommate/neighbor/household feuds.

It's a horrific crime, no matter what the motivation, but I will stand by the rubric that the person is mentally disordered, isn't thinking like a normal person, is not a typical person, etc. And there are signs of that psychopathology in that person, although they may do a great deal to conceal it. It's always surprised me to interview people in jail or prison for violent crimes to hear their version of how it came about.

Since college students are of an age where certain mental illnesses first occur, I am not ruling out research that shows relationships between schizophrenia and bizarre murders, but there are many other mental disorders that could be comorbid in this case. Killer seems rather organized to be a schizophrenic killer, though.

As far the "behavior of the victim" seems to me that possible K's behavior was changing as she posted or texted certain people or her posts had a different feeling to them. Like maybe she felt someone was upset with her or she was upset with certain things? Maybe like attitude shifts towards one or many things? I don't know.

I think that K's father is simply aware that this often happens, that a killer will show up at a funeral or memorial service, and the thought of that possibility weighs heavily on the parents and so they have decided just to wait and hold the service when the killer is found and arrested. Also, possibly in conversations he has asked LE if that could happen, and they may have said that they don't know, of course, if it would happen in this situation but sadly they have seen it happen in other cases.

I don't think K's father knows who the perp is, but I think he has a profile of the perp and is acting on that information and tries to stay on top of things as that profile perhaps evolves.

I would have to know the entire circumstances of such an event. People can get enraged over ongoing roommate/neighbor/household feuds.

It's a horrific crime, no matter what the motivation, but I will stand by the rubric that the person is mentally disordered, isn't thinking like a normal person, is not a typical person, etc. And there are signs of that psychopathology in that person, although they may do a great deal to conceal it. It's always surprised me to interview people in jail or prison for violent crimes to hear their version of how it came about.

Since college students are of an age where certain mental illnesses first occur, I am not ruling out research that shows relationships between schizophrenia and bizarre murders, but there are many other mental disorders that could be comorbid in this case. Killer seems rather organized to be a schizophrenic killer, though.
Yes. I know of a case where a young person was diagnosed with schizophrenia. don’t know if it’s still true, but between the ages of 18 and 24 is when stuff like that shows up.

This post carried some great insight I hadn't thought of!

MOO : I interpreted the interview as K's dad was attempting to disclose that the victims had committed a crime and thus the victims themselves exhibited odd behaviors because of the crime.
I wasn't fully on-board with the theory of illicit substance involvement, but this may tie in with that. Purely speculation, however.
After reading this interview excerpt, I find it odd that one victim’s (grieving) father is publicly incriminating one or more if the victims by alluding to their past and possible illicit activity. Casting a shadow, so to speak.

I also wonder what people on this site think about why the father is letting details possibly crucial to arrest/conviction ‘slip,’
Such as saying there were bruises, they were in the same bed, etc. Things that only the killer or LE would know. I may have missed this in reading but do people think LE is telling him what to say and when in order to ‘outwit’ the killer? Does LE actually do that?

This may be logistically challenging but if the school or third party sent out an electronic survey to the students asking them how many guests they had and where their guests were from for the football game, then they might be able to contact those specific institutions to have them keep an eye out for a student acting suspiciously.

I think that K's father is simply aware that this often happens, that a killer will show up at a funeral or memorial service, and the thought of that possibility weighs heavily on the parents and so they have decided just to wait and hold the service when the killer is found and arrested. Also, possibly in conversations he has asked LE if that could happen, and they may have said that they don't know, of course, if it would happen in this situation but sadly they have seen it happen in other cases.

I don't think K's father knows who the perp is, but I think he has a profile of the perp and is acting on that information and tries to stay on top of things as that profile perhaps evolves.
I think this poor man is getting a crash course in crime sleuthing 101. Imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanamburga