ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 22

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My feeling is that LE is having a hard time getting info out of those kids at the party. They are either afraid of getting themselves or someone they like/love in trouble OR their parents quickly lawyered them up. JMO

Add in it's a frat party I don't doubt that many of them don't remember many things all that well. Or they didn't pay attention to those two. I have never been to a frat party only heard stories, but wouldn't be surprised the kids just don't remember. Only thing I would think is photos/videos of them either intentional taken with them or finding them in the back ground of other media to confirm the times they were at the house

I think I have missed something today, where has it been stated that the “white hoodie guy” from Grub Truck fled the country? I keep seeing mention of this on here, but nothing to prove it. Can someone post a link to that, as I feel this individual’s life is about to be ruined by rumors. My opinion of watching the entire food truck video several times is he was indeed, trying to make sure they were safe. He gave them space. Then they left without acknowledging him, which was off putting. I witnessed a couple other suspicious people in that video too, but I do not think it was any of them. I am also getting the Ted Bundy vibe.

After reading the latest press release, I am going to say that LE is giving us way more information that Kaylee’s Dad is. For anyone criticizing him jeopardizing the investigation, I think some of the facts released today were not necessary for the public to hear.
I have a very different way of looking at this. I trust the experts, in this case, that is the detectives in LE. And they know what information is ok to release and what isn’t. Their releases don’t go against their own interest. Apparently, some people seem to feel that they have equal or better knowledge than LE to decide what is safe to release not to jeopardize the investigation.

Last edited:
Good thoughts; thank you! I’ll even admit, I wasn’t thinking clearly and misremembering there are 6 bedrooms as opposed to 5. It also doesn’t specify, but would you consider it reasonable to assume Murphy was shut in a specific room? I’m just curious about him browsing the residence and crime scenes. If he did have to relieve himself, it was have been isolated to his confinement (room).

It’s likely a red herring; just food for thought.
I know my dogs would never willingly be locked in a room with their people on the other side of that lock. Mine would likely bark loudly and destroy the door and frame to make their way back out to where they believe they belong (with me). And if they heard others in the home, even more damage and noise would have ensued.

But I don’t know Murphy, his common behaviors, or what he’d do if scared for himself or his owners.

ETA: I mean mine wouldn’t tolerate being locked alone in a room for long. About the length of a shower for me seems to be their level of tolerance with such. Mine are still both young (16 months and 7 months). Not sure how old Murphy is, or how well trained he is to tolerate being left alone.

Last edited:
The first thing that entered my mind when I read that was that the killer put the dog in a separate room. Indicating that the dog knew the killer. MOO IMO
It really could be anything. If the killer had closed Maddie’s door on the way out, maybe the dog just climbed into her empty bed right next door.

But Ancestry and 23andme have cooperated with LE when there's a subpoena. It's getting more and more common. At any rate, early reports by a certain NG about DNA being found have not at all been confirmed by LE, so I'm despairing a little that they have any perp DNA.

I sure hope they do - because if they do, they'll find him.
Well there is always CODIS maybe if there was any DNA to be found at the scene something may be there. Long shot but not impossible. I do however hope the police department/forensic team/medical examiner were diligent in there evidence collection practices. I'd hate for someone not to fear getting caught and be emboldened to progress their criminal activity.

But Ancestry and 23andme have cooperated with LE when there's a subpoena.
Not very common to near impossible.

They absolutely do not share information with law enforcement voluntarily and in the case of 23andMe no information has been shared so far, even with a subpoena. In the case of Ancestry.com they provide a transparency report (Ancestry Transparency Report - 2022) showing how little information is released (the latest release based on the reports was one in 2020).

Policy from their websites:

Very optimistic that with the hundreds of swabs at the CR, they will find the perpetrator's blood and thus DNA.

I too am hoping so hard that the perp managed to cut himself (very common) and leave a bit of his blood. OTOH, since Coroner says they were all asleep, and since I tend to think he went for the jugular (if those blood stains on the foundations are real), it might be in that one instance where someone moved to defend themselves (K?) that he ended up slicing himself with that very sharp knife.

Well there is always CODIS maybe if there was any DNA to be found at the scene something may be there. Long shot but not impossible. I do however hope the police department/forensic team/medical examiner were diligent in there evidence collection practices. I'd hate for someone not to fear getting caught and be emboldened to progress their criminal activity.

If NG can be trusted, she says at about 3:15-4:15 of her recent youtube/video segment on this case that they didn't get a hit from CODIS (but she also says they do have DNA). While I don't trust NG, I do think it's possible she sometimes gets LE to give information that they aren't sharing locally (and might not share again). She might also just be reading between the lines or have asked leading questions (as she's prone to do) and then interpreted the meaning of the answers.

I don't think this person will be in CODIS, personally. But I do think genealogical DNA could work, even if the DNA is somewhat fragmentary. If there are several bits of stranger DNA at the scene, they should run all of them through genealogical analysis and see where that takes them (if this case gets cooler).

But Ancestry and 23andme have cooperated with LE when there's a subpoena. It's getting more and more common. At any rate, early reports by a certain NG about DNA being found have not at all been confirmed by LE, so I'm despairing a little that they have any perp DNA.

I sure hope they do - because if they do, they'll find him.

I’ve dealt with lots of subpoenas sent to tech companies. There is a huge difference between presenting a court order for information on a particular account and presenting a court order that would expose your entire database to analysis. That would be way overly broad and unlikely to get cooperation from the company.

Add in it's a frat party I don't doubt that many of them don't remember many things all that well. Or they didn't pay attention to those two. I have never been to a frat party only heard stories, but wouldn't be surprised the kids just don't remember. Only thing I would think is photos/videos of them either intentional taken with them or finding them in the back ground of other media to confirm the times they were at the house
Good point. And who knows who was even at that party. Not likely it was invite-only. That's a lot of photos and videos to track down and search through. JMO

So, last night, a WSer (sorry I've forgotten your name - PLEASE add more to this discussion if you can)...reminded us all of the Danny Rolling case (Gainesville Ripper).

This serial killer (who killed up to 5 people in one setting and over a fairly short period of time, IIRC) did not know his victims and instead apparently looked for situations that met his criteria for easy kills. He admitted later that there was a sexual assault component to some of these killings, but I don't know if that was the case for the 5 students he killed (decapitating only one of them). He had been on a burglary spree.

He used a military style Ka-Bar knife.

His crimes were spaced out, geographically and it took some good noticing by police that the crime in Gainesville was connected to another similar crime in Shreveport. One key part of catching him was that he said "deeply disturbing things" to a woman who invited him over to dinner after meeting him at church. She reported it to police.

After capture, he said his motivation was to "become a Superstar like Ted Bundy."

Author Sondra London wrote a well-researched book about it, The Making of a Serial Killer.

For me, this comprises an entirely different set of scenarios than ones I've posted about earlier. He also made sure his victims were silenced by applying duct tape while they were sleeping and then killing them, IIRC. He took the duct tape with him in most cases and died by lethal injection.
Yes, when I read about DR it really gave me a chill when I saw that he also used a ka-bar. I know nothing about knives but even if it’s not an uncommon weapon, the similarity is still very eery

I surely don't know how his parents would feel about the statements of K's parents. Frankly, I don't care bc we're talking about an unsolved quadruple homicides.

Perhaps, his parents took him out of the country so he could not be interviewed by FBI or LEO, photographed for potential injuries, etal.

If my daughter was killed and one of the last people to see her was someone who "fled" the country, I'd be an angry hot mess, too.

I agree with the G's, because I'd also be interested in knowing exactly how LEO was able to clear this person within an hour or so of the horrific crimes being reported (according the K's parents).

Isn't this somebody that LE indicated was not a suspect at this time?

During the BE News Nation interview, when asked if the family could elaborate on any suspicions they may have, Mrs G said she thought certain persons were ruled out far too early and Mr G piped up "SHE had a good alibi. I dont know what would stop LE from sharing an alibi".
They think a female was involved or has knowledge of what occurred.
So do I.

I think I have missed something today, where has it been stated that the “white hoodie guy” from Grub Truck fled the country? I keep seeing mention of this on here, but nothing to prove it. Can someone post a link to that, as I feel this individual’s life is about to be ruined by rumors. My opinion of watching the entire food truck video several times is he was indeed, trying to make sure they were safe. He gave them space. Then they left without acknowledging him, which was off putting. I witnessed a couple other suspicious people in that video too, but I do not think it was any of them. I am also getting the Ted Bundy vibe.
Rumour only, but I do believe KG’s dad alluded to it in an interview.

During the BE News Nation interview, when asked if the family could elaborate on any suspicions they may have, Mrs G said she thought certain persons were ruled out far too early and Mr G piped up "SHE had a good alibi. I dont know what would stop LE from sharing an alibi".
They think a female was involved or has knowledge of what occurred.
So do I.
He was saying “show the strong alibi”, not “she”

Confirmed by news nation.

I too am hoping so hard that the perp managed to cut himself (very common) and leave a bit of his blood. OTOH, since Coroner says they were all asleep, and since I tend to think he went for the jugular (if those blood stains on the foundations are real), it might be in that one instance where someone moved to defend themselves (K?) that he ended up slicing himself with that very sharp knife.

If NG can be trusted, she says at about 3:15-4:15 of her recent youtube/video segment on this case that they didn't get a hit from CODIS (but she also says they do have DNA). While I don't trust NG, I do think it's possible she sometimes gets LE to give information that they aren't sharing locally (and might not share again). She might also just be reading between the lines or have asked leading questions (as she's prone to do) and then interpreted the meaning of the answers.

I don't think this person will be in CODIS, personally. But I do think genealogical DNA could work, even if the DNA is somewhat fragmentary. If there are several bits of stranger DNA at the scene, they should run all of them through genealogical analysis and see where that takes them (if this case gets cooler).
Well as far as DNA goes, unless its directly from a victim or darn near close the rest of it is all questionable considering it was a party house. Worst place to try to collect evidence and make any sense out of. I'm sure they are going over all of that which we may not know of and looks to us like they are slow moving but in fact may be tracking down individuals we are not even aware of. I really do hope they find something and soon.

I'd bet the rent it's not Hoodie Guy - nor the ex, nor the person(s) who gave K and M a ride, nor anyone they met at the bar that night. IMHO, this attack was planned days or weeks ahead by a psychopathic killer. Somebody had been watching that house and its residents. I've been wrong before, but I am sticking to my intuition on this one. JMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member