ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 27

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been following your posts on this path. Is there any way to check city records on what was there before the house was built on the path. If that makes sense. It is very interesting. Thanks for your pursuing this and updating!
That’s a good question and one I'll eventually look into if the case remains pending. The path itself makes for a nifty and accessible way to the university, arboretum, etc. (without needing a vehicle) from where I presume is a newer development though. Thanks for the reply!

From all media outlets that are approved by Web Sleuths. I find it very interesting that multiple professional behaviourists and ex law enforcers believe these dreadful murders were committed by one perpetrator (possibly a male) Why would someone targeting one person do this? I therefore believe this could be a random serial killer MOO

So, a person is targeting M or KG. He is astonished to find them in one bed, and must kill both. More noise is made than he anticipated, he is unnerved and, going down the stairs, finds a male looking quizzically around, trying to figure out what the unusual sounds were. The killer obviously has to kill him, and maybe X has poked her head out too, and is prepared by that time to fight for her life. He leaves E where he killed him, while X ended up against the wall where the red substance leaked out.

Just a theory, not necessarily something I am pushing. I tend to put more faith in the earlier account from DM of someone being found out of the bedroom, and I put less faith in the coroner 's changing stories.

Jmo

do you think he is a college student, or a recent drop out? Or a local not affiliated with the U?
Could be any of those. Someone who had a class with one of the girls, or a guy who failed out of the classes the girls were succeeding in, or someone who went to the restaurant where two of the girls worked…

I think it’s someone young enough to not look out of place if they crashed a party to get the layout of the house.

and the interviewer is Lauren Mathias, who also appears in this clip, from yesterday's show

Surprised she didn't ask Chief Fry about her Intelligence from the mom who placed Ethan at the frat party at 2am.
( about halfway thru the clip)
Uggh. That "tip" almost sounds too far removed from the actual victim to be even considered by LE as relevant. Who knows how many tips are queued up for LE to still go through and vet, though?

So, a person is targeting M or KG. He is astonished to find them in one bed, and must kill both. More noise is made than he anticipated, he is unnerved and, going down the stairs, finds a male looking quizzically around, trying to figure out what the unusual sounds were. The killer obviously has to kill him, and maybe X has poked her head out too, and is prepared by that time to fight for her life. He leaves E where he killed him, while X ended up against the wall where the red substance leaked out.

Just a theory, not necessarily something I am pushing. I tend to put more faith in the earlier account from DM of someone being found out of the bedroom, and I put less faith in the coroner 's changing stories.

Jmo
This is the way I am leaning.

I am in utter disbelief that in today's climate of digital tracking, data mining, and crowdsourcing that this car has not been either identified, located, or the owner revealed, even if said owner was Avis or Hertz or Jimmy's Old Ratty Cheap Car Rentals.

I am in utter disbelief that in today's climate of digital tracking, data mining, and crowdsourcing that this car has not been either identified, located, or the owner revealed, even if said owner was Avis or Hertz or Jimmy's Old Ratty Cheap Car Rentals.
I never thought it was a rental car because most rental agencies have newer model vehicles.

Uggh. That "tip" almost sounds too far removed from the actual victim to be even considered by LE as relevant. Who knows how many tips are queued up for LE to still go through and vet, though?

have deleted this and added an edit to the next reply on it.

it's a nothing burger ( LE will likely already have the same text ) I suppose this story fitted with Banfield's rant about LE's poor comms.

Last edited:
her son got a text from Ethan in the early hours ( that's a relevant tip imo when LE are trying to pinpoint E& X's whereabouts. ) LE might want to speak to her son and get that text, ascertain what it says.
I agree, if it happened like the interviewer said the mother said her son said it did. See where I'm going with this?

I think more than one weapon may have been used and LE keeping 2nd weapon a secret perhaps. I also find it hard to believe that LE stated within 60 mins of police arriving that the 1 hour shelter in place was no longer necessary. What did LE find at crime scene to alert public so quickly that killer no threat to public? When people die there could be some sort of body excretion, so I would imagine 2nd floor would have some sort of odor, so hard to believe 911 call not done immediately by alive roommates. The Fire Department and EMS arrived shortly after police arrived at crime scene and never went inside house, so I wonder if there was more than one 911 call...not just "unconscious person" call. Lastly, LE is stating that killer could stab again with the UI Senior graduation happening this weekend. I wonder if there is person of interest that has not returned to UI since 11/13/22 but is scheduled to graduate now, so LE is sending message to killer that they might be on to killer.

I never thought it was a rental car because most rental agencies have newer model vehicles.

I agree. It's a virtual certainty that it's not a rental, but some folks seem to think it could be so I included the disclaimer. Further, if it's not a rental, and it likely isn't, then its owner certainly should be known by now. Even if the car itself is at the bottom of a quarry reservoir.

My opinion.

That’s a good question and one I'll eventually look into if the case remains pending. The path itself makes for a nifty and accessible way to the university, arboretum, etc. (without needing a vehicle) from where I presume is a newer development though. Thanks for the reply!
I have been wondering if possibly the perp did a lot of walking. I even wondered if someone in the white car unknowingly dropped him off, but I doubt that. just my own opinion

You'd think by now they could have ID'ed the driver of the car assuming they have the full license plate number not partial. Too bad the USA doesn't have a streamlined national database.
This reminds me of the car sought out after Missy Bever's homicide case in a church. The suspect wore a fake SWAT team jacket and a car in the business next door had a car sitting in wait. They never found the car or driver.

I agree, if it happened like the interviewer said the mother said her son said it did. See where I'm going with this?

yes I do but I genuinely don't think local reporter Lauren Mathias would lie about that mother.
And I honestly don't think Mathias would say that on Banfield if she hasn't checked it out with the mother. ( Mathias got loads of scoops on the Vallow Daybell case - she got people who wouldn't speak to any other media, despite them being offered big bucks from the top channels)

I expect a lot of students in Moscow are being chivvied by their parents to check their phones, being asked what they remember in order to get that info to LE etc

It's probably in storage somewhere, you can store vehicles in a barn, garage, under a tarp, who knows? Probably borrowed or used w/o owner even aware. May not even be insured. If you were going to commit a crime undetected you have to have someway to get to the property and exit with a vehicle nobody recognizes. Either parked some distance and walked or just walked there,

I think more than one weapon may have been used and LE keeping 2nd weapon a secret perhaps. I also find it hard to believe that LE stated within 60 mins of police arriving that the 1 hour shelter in place was no longer necessary. What did LE find at crime scene to alert public so quickly that killer no threat to public? When people die there could be some sort of body excretion, so I would imagine 2nd floor would have some sort of odor, so hard to believe 911 call not done immediately by alive roommates. The Fire Department and EMS arrived shortly after police arrived at crime scene and never went inside house, so I wonder if there was more than one 911 call...not just "unconscious person" call. Lastly, LE is stating that killer could stab again with the UI Senior graduation happening this weekend. I wonder if there is person of interest that has not returned to UI since 11/13/22 but is scheduled to graduate now, so LE is sending message to killer that they might be on to killer.
Yeah, that always bothered me, too. It went from: "OK, everyone, shelter in place! We have a killer on the loose!" to: "Never mind, all is well. This was a targeted attack. As you were."

Honestly, my first thought at the time was that the killer left a note behind, or something horrible was written in blood on the wall naming one of the victims. I know that's dramatic, but so was their quick switch from ALERT-ALERT! to NEVER MIND.

You'd think by now they could have ID'ed the driver of the car assuming they have the full license plate number not partial. Too bad the USA doesn't have a streamlined national database.

Even if they don't have a single digit of the license plate, as high profile as this case is - and the monumental efforts by both law enforcement and the public to locate it - the car or occupant(s) should be known by now.

My opinion.

yes I do but I genuinely don't think local reporter Lauren Mathias would lie about that mother.
And I honestly don't think Mathias would say that on Banfield if she hasn't checked it out with the mother. ( Mathias got loads of scoops on the Vallow Daybell case - she got people who wouldn't speak to any other media, despite them being offered big bucks from the top channels)

I expect a lot of students in Moscow are being chivvied by their parents to check their phones, being asked what they remember in order to get that info to LE etc
Oh, don't get me wrong, I definitely don't think she lied about this. I just hope that this mother took that info straight to LE and not to a reporter first (she probably did). This is just the first time I'm hearing anything about Ethan's and Xana's timeline/whereabouts that has always been in question after 9:00 p.m. that evening.

Jmo

The DM article doesn't say 'out of the bedroom.' I thought the same thing, so spent all day yesterday trying to track down how I got that idea.

It says, "On the floor." Now, it turns out the DM article is nearly a word for word copy of a NY Post article in which it says "on the second floor," so perhaps a misprint? Then the coroner says "all in their beds." THEN, the coroner (as linked by a wonderful WSer whose name I cannot recall yet - sorry) says "SOME were in their beds."

Keep in mind that the first floor roommates come up stairs to no evidence of a crime, except that their roomies' phones are in their (apparently closed) rooms and they start calling friends (probably to try and get the doors open). I do not know if they did this - but it sure sounds as if they did, as one of the newcomers says he "saw a body" and then of course, takes over the 911 call from the understandably hysterical roommate.

If there *was* a body bleeding out in the middle of the kitchen/living room, I think we'd see way more blood. This killer counted on containing the blood by killing sleeping people. Coroner has backpedaled on "all were asleep," but never said that anyone was outside either of the two murder rooms.

I agree overall with your theory - perhaps the killer heard some quiet noises or rustling in the 2nd room, goes in and removes those potential witnesses. I agree that Ethan might have been partly or entirely out of bed by that time, but I bet he was forcefully pushed back onto it and if there was a scream, it would have been Xana's, before she was silenced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member