ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 28

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that K was just visiting for the weekend tells me that whoever did this(or knows who did this) had to be either family or friends with one or more of the victims. How else could they pull this off 4 weeks with not a clue as to who did it. To coordinate the time schedule of this quadruple homicide would be nearly impossible without insider information.

It is unfortunate that we allow small local sheriff and police depts. to investigates homicides just because the crime occurred in that area. It leads to mistakes in almost every case I have followed. Some murders are never solved because of mistakes and missteps by LE that have never handled a homicide before. IMO a more uniform and effective approach would be a Federal agency that only investigates homicides . I am sure most victims family would agree, as well as most small town LE agencies.

Going through Pullman Police activity logs and my heart skipped a couple beats...

Interesting to say the least. What prompted you to check Pullman activity? I haven't seen Pullam WA mentioned until now (WA, yes, but not Pullman)

I'm disturbed that such a guide exists. Not surprised, but disturbed.

Me too. And it's chilling to hear from SG that K suffered wounds that meet certain "pro's and con's" according to those instructions. I do wonder if LE can speak to the owner of that website to see if they can provide data about incoming hits (and then look at the ones that are from the Moscow area first).

Probably not, probably way too big a reach for that to happen.

I live in a Western town of about medium size. We have 4 axe throwing bars where you can drink beer and practice throws. Every town around in my neck of the woods, from very small to large, has at least one. It's "normal" around here.

For the record, though, I've never been. It's not my in my interests, but most people I know have at least once.

Good to know. I live on the West Coast (I actually live 5 miles from the ocean). So, such places are scarce here. The place in Moscow does not, to my knowledge, serve beer - but it appears they allow people to order takeout from anywhere else and rules don't say they ban alcohol.

Can you say how long these bars have been open, more or less? I just checked - Los Angeles County and Orange County do allow them, with LA having a few (not many, considering how many people live here).

I am not in any way saying that areas that have axe throwing clubs are more likely to produce murderers who use knives, just that if the issue is appearing confident with a knife, walking around with a sheathed knife, etc., these places would be good places to start.

From the link:

Although the coroner told Goncalves that the victims died quickly and did not suffer, he said he's not convinced.

Kernodle, who had defensive wounds, and Chapin were found on the second floor of 1122 King Road. "It was a hell of a battle going on down there from what the coroner told us," Goncalves said.

Me: How could anyone in the house sleep through the noise? How much would you have to drink to sleep through it?
The same coroner who said everyone was asleep, and "some" were in their beds. "Some", imo, = > 2. Geez no wonder this father feels (imo) he is getting jerked around.

But, if what he was told is the truth, about "hell of a battle going on down there", it fits in perfectly with my own opinion that the girls were killed first, following by the killer being confronted by EC, and that X was awake, out of bed and ready to fight, sadly ending on t he floor above the red, leaking substance, Also fits my theory that more time was spent killing the pair on the second floor than on the 3rd floor. JMO

It is unfortunate that we allow small local sheriff and police depts. to investigates homicides just because the crime occurred in that area. It leads to mistakes in almost every case I have followed. Some murders are never solved because of mistakes and missteps by LE that have never handled a homicide before. IMO a more uniform and effective approach would be a Federal agency that only investigates homicides . I am sure most victims family would agree, as well as most small town LE agencies.

The FBI was involved very early in this case. Are you saying you'd want to expand the FBI to do all local homicides? That would be an incredible change in recruitment and training (each FBI agent gets a *lot* of training - often coming from a prior LE background outside the bureau). There are wait lists for all this training and new agents are hard to find.

Are you saying every homicide should be investigated by the federal government?

At any rate, the Chief of Police in Moscow, ID has himself graduated the FBI academy and he called in the FBI right away. There are some 40+ FBI people on this case (about twice as many as the local LE staff) and some 15 US Marshals.

The number of steps involved in calling in and then responding to a homicide would prevent the FBI from arriving first. In this case, the roommates first called friends to try and open the doors of the non-responsive roommates. Then, 911 was called and LE/EMT's came. It was a shocking crime scene, certainly. But there's no evidence that local LE screwed up their initial response. And they are still holding the house as a crime scene.

Clearly he's frustrated and I imagine a lot of us would feel that same way if we were in this situation. To me the really sad thing is that we learn more from him than we do LE.
Because LE wants/needs to keep some details from the public. Leaking to the media the girls' injuries does nothing to help find the killer.

Off Campus Housing Safety?
....I am surprised Moscow LE and UI spokesperson hasn't suggested how college students at UI can better protect themselves at their living spaces. Every off campus housing should have doorbell front and maybe back security. Parking lots should have cameras. Roommates need to have a curfew in place at their residence in regards to someone being in charge of making sure housing locked before last person goes to bed. Cut off times for parties. The fact that UI campus off housing had so little security in 2022 is just crazy to me.
snipped for focus @avalonisland
I hope that parents are aware of these issues and discuss w their offspring in or heading to college, and arrange for appropriate security measures, and counsel them about avoiding risky behavior.

"UI campus off housing had so little security in 2022"
Crazy? Off campus, so students (and parents?) make their own decisions about door cam-communications systems, parking lot cams, curfews, etc.

Although the ^ factors contribute to many other injuries & deaths --- accidental or criminal, I don't know if any of the ^ issues contributed to this tragedy.

As you said, the perp could have entered the home and shared a bevvie w housemates knowing that person was there. Secondly, IF the electronic door lock code was given to many others as reported in early days, that lock provides little security.
imo moo jmo

Regardless, hoping for a break in the case soon and ultimately for justice.

Last edited:

After watching hundreds of True Crime shows, I am 100% positive that many murders are not solved due to mistakes and mis-steps by the initial investigators. Years later the case is looked at with new eyes and voila- the case gets solved. Some old cases get solved due to DNA, which we know was not available years ago.

Agreed. It's highly likely he saw her face after the coroner unzipped a body bag because I believe family members have to make a positive ID. If that happened, it's almost guaranteed the coroner didn't unzip it all the way and start talking in graphic detail pointing out her injuries. That's not only unprofessional, it's probably against the law as well.

Given how SG has been publicly, I would imagine he asked the coroner a lot of questions trying to get all the information he could so it's not surprising that he would know some more things.
Would you or anyone else here with a legal background know if a judge could throw out certain crime scene photos at trial due to descriptions of the victims wounds having already been released to the press?

I am not sure where the idea Kaylee's dad saw Maddie's body stems from. He could have seen Kaylee's body, sure, she is his own daughter. But nobody would be displaying an undressed corpse to a person not related to the deceased and not being a LE member. Especially not in such a medial case, where the probability of it being revealed is so high. The person responsible would be risking their job.
Maybe he read her autopsy that Maddie’s family shared with him? Idk

Lots more details in this article...

• Goncalves said his daughter's injuries "definitely did not match" Mogen's wounds. "They may have individually died from the exact same thing, being stabbed, but there are more details," he added. "They're not even close to matching."

• Coroner says, sir, I don't think stabs is the right word, it was like tears, like this was a strong weapon, not like a stab," he told Fox News Digital.

• "She said these were big open gouges. She said it was quick. These weren't something where you were going to be able to call 911. They were not going to slowly bleed out," he said.

• The knife slashed open Kaylee Goncalves' liver and lungs, he said.
SG paid for a copy of Ks death certificate which included some details about her injuries.
A death certificate is only going to list the very minimum. Most likely the COD and the MOD. IMO.

Talking about KG's wounds per the article but SG also added this (which adds to what XK's dad said early on):

Kernodle, who had defensive wounds, and Chapin were found on the second floor of 1122 King Road. "It was a hell of a battle going on down there from what the coroner told us," Goncalves said.

Does anyone else think that the person responsible was already inside the home when they returned that night? Someone mentioned there being no signs of forced entry, but I've also seen people talk about how "safe" this town was and that people regularly left their doors unlocked. I agree that the person was probably familiar with the layout of the home so they may also know if they leave their doors unlocked. I really hate this notion that in all of these horrific crimes we hear about that the town "was so safe" and all of that. A town may be safe statistically on paper but that doesn't mean that a sadistic killer isn't lying in wait. Take Abby & Libby's case for example. The killer was the sole pharmacist in their town and someone that most people probably knew. This is in no way victim shaming and it is awful that we are forced to live in constant fear but I'm just tired of this "it was such a safe town" crap when every other horrific crime happens in a "safe, small town, where everyone knows everyone." Anyways, this is just my current thought.

The FBI was involved very early in this case. Are you saying you'd want to expand the FBI to do all local homicides? That would be an incredible change in recruitment and training (each FBI agent gets a *lot* of training - often coming from a prior LE background outside the bureau). There are wait lists for all this training and new agents are hard to find.

Are you saying every homicide should be investigated by the federal government?

At any rate, the Chief of Police in Moscow, ID has himself graduated the FBI academy and he called in the FBI right away. There are some 40+ FBI people on this case (about twice as many as the local LE staff) and some 15 US Marshals.

The number of steps involved in calling in and then responding to a homicide would prevent the FBI from arriving first. In this case, the roommates first called friends to try and open the doors of the non-responsive roommates. Then, 911 was called and LE/EMT's came. It was a shocking crime scene, certainly. But there's no evidence that local LE screwed up their initial response. And they are still holding the house as a crime scene.

A death certificate is only going to list the very minimum. Most likely the COD and the MOD. IMO.

And I would guess that the actual autopsy report is still under lock and key. It's a crucial part of the ongoing investigation.

So SG's comments are his own, based on viewing a body or bodies, and on the death certificate(s). I'd be very surprised if any of the families have been given the autopsy report at this point in time.

Certainly he could view Kaylee's body, but not MM's.

Although the two families are very close and since SG says he brought two urns to his house, it's possible he was charged with handling funeral arrangements or that both families went to the funeral parlor together. I believe they are from the same hometown and K and M's Instagrams show a longterm close relationship between the two families.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member