ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if LE can see inside the tinted windows to get a look at driver. Video cameras vary in speed, but these cameras I would think record at anywhere between 10 to 100 frames per second. There is software that can extract each frame. Software can also improve signal to noise ratio by then stacking those frames using alignment points. You wind up with a single photo with much higher signal to noise ratio. Take a camera with good dynamic range and you can stretch a lot of detail even out of dark scenes/objects. This type of process is the primary method in astrophotography for photographing planets. Take a minute long video, extract the 2,500+ frames from that video and then stack the best of those frames using software that auto-aligns various reference points. The number of frames stacked can be anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand. I have no idea whether LE uses same type of method for their application though. I also don’t know anything about surveillance cameras but if they have CMOS sensors similar to Astro cameras then I would think there are similarities in terms of capability.

I am wondering if the 3:45 am time stamp on the gas station digital recording of the white car is accurate. If it's correct it doesn't seem like it would allow enough time for the perp to have committed all four stabbings, left the residence and walked to a vehicle, got in, started it, and driven away. If there is evidence of life at 2:52am, would he have started 8 minutes later at 3am or a bit later. Maybe it doesn't take that long to inflict multiple stab wounds on a person but I would think it would take at least 5 or 6 minutes. IDK but 5 x 4 plus however long it took to get up and down stairs and then back out of the house and down or up to where the car was parked maybe 35 minutes total. That would leave 10 minutes to get yourself together in the car and drive like a normal driver. Just thinking out loud.

I am wondering if the 3:45 am time stamp on the gas station digital recording of the white car is accurate. If it's correct it doesn't seem like it would allow enough time for the perp to have committed all four stabbings, left the residence and walked to a vehicle, got in, started it, and driven away. If there is evidence of life at 2:52am, would he have started 8 minutes later at 3am or a bit later. Maybe it doesn't take that long to inflict multiple stab wounds on a person but I would think it would take at least 5 or 6 minutes. IDK but 5 x 4 plus however long it took to get up and down stairs and then back out of the house and down or up to where the car was parked maybe 35 minutes total. That would leave 10 minutes to get yourself together in the car and drive like a normal driver. Just thinking out loud.
Car could have been going TO the scene

(this is assuming car is important and the car is THE car)

Now, that they might have shown up 9 days later, I understand. It is easy to criticize LE for being slow, IRL I think they were merely overwhelmed. There is a limit to human work. However, for the future, would it have helped to ask all houses and businesses in the city, through, Twitter, FB, TV, all channels, not to erase the videos from 11/13-11/16 until further notice?

Hmmmm

'"I could go on for days about the coroner," Shanon Gray added, in an exasperated tone. "Cathy Mabbutt made some personal phone calls to some of the family and released a lot of information that investigators didn't know about"

Hmmm ( means hard to take anything at face value)
“In an exclusive interview Sunday, Steve Goncalves told Fox News Digital that Mabbutt had shared explicit details of Kaylee's injuries with one of his underage daughters“.
(From the link posted above by cottonweaver)

If true this is beyond disgusting.

I have to think LE really thought in the first couple days they knew who did this -- and thus the "no threat to community"/"crime of passion" proclamations. I wonder, first thought, best thought-wise, if this is so, who they believed was the culprit?

Im following all your saying, but my feeling tells me this car would be arriving at 3:40. I don’t know why, and if it was truly speeding that would be really stupid. But I’m having trouble with the girls having possibly been still awake at the home with their phone calls and the like. Idk, now way to know at this point .

What type of evidence, other than DNA, would be necessary to definitively link crimes with such striking similarities?
I would guess phone records, car gps, phone gps, geofencing, cell tower info, that kind of thing.
In Idaho, I’m surprised LE did not put out a broad and general notice to all businesses, buildings, any camera source, etc. to save all camera footage for the day of and also before and after the murders. Nothing should have been destroyed.
I assume LE has authority to make this request.

Washougal, home of the "third unsolved stabbing," is a scant 343 miles from Moscow ID. <modsnip>
Agree, not uncommon to drive those kinds of miles. Some interstates are 75 mph and some state hwys are 65 mph, straight stretch, not like driving city traffic. Or someone from there is in school in UI.

eta,ime

Last edited by a moderator:
While we are talking about the car, I'm gonna bring up something pretty far fetched. If this was a planned thing, what if the car was wrapped? What if it isn't actually white. What if after the murders the killer simply removed the wrap and the car went back to its original color? Okay I know it's absurd, but everything else is being thrown out, so why not this.
I agree. Excellent hypothesis and possible vital option in the search for the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joybird99