Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read about the BTK KIller:

Dennis Rader - Wikipedia

When you move states, should you change the plate on the car to match your new state of residence?

I'm not from the USA, my apologies.
You are supposed to register your vehicle in the state or county that you live in. If you move from one county within a state you are supposed to register it in the new county. When you move from one state to another you are supposed to register it in the new state. States give a certain amount of time that you have to register your vehicle.

I recall there was a white sedan similar to an Elantra across the street from where the underage drinking incident occurred at that time. It's facing east, not west, but there's a possibility it might have done a 180 somewhere along the way. It's also possible that this was the car captured on the Linda Street video.
I think you're wrong. There is a car heading to the house at 02:58.

NpfAjOx.jpg

More "experts" weigh in :rolleyes:

Rather than making comments on a case they aren’t privy to, like so many experts have done, they actually are giving good advice.
This may be the worst case I’ve ever seen of social media going off the rails and attacking everyone they see any possible connection to the victims. If you are a friend of a friend on FB, they will find you and your family.
Anyone connected either talks too much or too little and someone out there has created a thread on SM why this proves they are guilty, doxxing them and also their family members for good measure.
It’s no wonder people close to this case don’t talk to the press, of course that also proves their guilt in SM land.

From your link:

Williams and Joseph Giacalone, a former New York City police officer-turned criminal justice professor, cautioned against members of the public from trying to solve this case, or draw conclusions, from their computers.

"We have a host of individuals who are playing the role of law enforcement officers and have no formal law enforcement training," Williams said.

The true-crime community "can do a lot of good," said Giacalone, now an author and adjunct professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York City. "But in this case, I think we’ve seen, just, enough."

Last edited:
I recall there was a white sedan similar to an Elantra across the street from where the underage drinking incident occurred at that time. It's facing east, not west, but there's a possibility it might have done a 180 somewhere along the way. It's also possible that this was the car captured on the Linda Street video.
Was that on Taylor?

The police claim there's no connect between this crime and the similar incident that occurred near Salem, Oregon last year. How they can conclude this I have no idea, since whoever committed the crime in Idaho is a completely unknown entity. I would check student records for any student who has transferred from a school near Salem to UI in Moscow. The two crimes are too similar to be dismissed out-of-hand.
It's possible the unknown DNA found at the incident you refer to (if any was found) does not match any DNA found at this crime. Non-matching unknowns.
MOO

Was that on Taylor?
Yes, but it was actually heading to the students house.

Help me to understand, You have an arrow from the REAR of a vehicle pointing in a direction that says "Heading to the house..." The car in this image is going in the opposite direction of the arrow, so away from the house?
I think you're looking at the wrong car. There is a car with the headlights entering the shot.

I earnestly beg your collective pardon as I am just dropping-in and, apart from initially offering several suggestions to the U of I on-campus senior town police official, Captain Berrette, relative to setting up a "quick-start compendium" of potential persons-of-interest, have been unable to keep-up.

Q:
Has there been any discussion relative to those several 'so-happy-to-have-such-a-close/sweet-friend' cozy depictions of the third floor victims?
And this, wrt narrowing focus as to perp(s)/motive(s)

Sincere TIA for your consideration and any BREF(s) you may provide :)...

I have been off for a few days and can't seem to quote or pull across from previous threads. In my original post (copied below) I was NOT referring to the Boston Marathon bombers. I was referring to an event with equal weight and value to what happened in Moscow. The only difference was that the threat was called in immediately, not 8 hours later. The event was also targeted. But the perp was still on the loose and unhinged, much like this perp likely was, and LE did what they could do to act big and act fast and it took a full 48 hours to drive him out. And yes, mandatory lockdown was in effect due to LE not being able to ensure the safety of the community.

The only reason I am thinking that they locked down the university area and released a short time later is a) They didn't have the leadership to make big, fast decisions. b) They didn't have the finances to make big, fast decisions. Or C) they knew exactly where the perp was, which makes no sense given the time from event to now. I am leaning towards B.

Original post:
"Ok, this has been on my mind and so I'm throwing it out there.

I lived in a city where a person had committed multiple murders and had evaded police, won't mention names or cities here. But a HUGE portion of the immediate area was placed into lockdown (a good 10km by 10km area) - residents to lock doors/close blinds, road blocks set up. LE, dogs, drones and experts with heat sensor cameras searched the area thoroughly. This was the only reason that they were able to drive out and catch the culprit, even though it was stressful to all involved and no one knew how much time had passed from murder to capture.

Why was the action by LE after discovering this carnage to lockdown and then release claiming that it was a specific target and therefore the community should stay aware but not worried? It is not about community worry, it is about catching the perp. Was it because of how much time had passed and they really had no idea where in the world this person could be? But why would they not even try that?"
I was thinking about something today that I thought I would share with all of you.

I imagined myself being the poor soul in charge of this investigation. I asked myself how I would approach this.

I think I would treat this as 5 separate investigations. I would assign 1 team of investigators to each individual person.

Each team would investigate each murder as if it was specific to the individual they were assigned.

The 5th team of investigators would be tasked with looking at the other 4 investigations and looking for which conclusion looks like the most likely motive and determine if any commonalities existed between those 4 that might of lead up to the murders.

Even though this looks to all be one event from an investigative perspective I think it would be more effective to compartmentalize it into at least 4 subcategories.

Jmo of course but for whatever its worth I think that is how I would approach untangling this crime and finding the killer(s).
I think this is an excellent idea.

‘surviving roommates summoned friends to the residence because they thought one of the victims had passed out and wasn't waking up’
RSBM - This^^ has always bothered me. Set aside what seems to have been a very messy scene (and foul smelling from all the blood) for a moment. I get the fear of calling 911 immediately. Why did they call and have others come over instead of seeking help from their housemates? If I have concern about the welfare of someone in my house, I’m going to ask others there for help first rather than trying to get a hold of someone and waiting for them to get there. If they’d done this, surely the reported statement would be much different when none of the other girls responded.

So much focus is on who of the four was the target and why. My question from day 1 has been WHY THE OTHER TWO WEREN’T targeted. The killer had to pass by the stairs leading down to get to X’s room (which is very out of the way compared to the entry point and upstairs) so I don’t buy the “they didn’t know others were down there” theory.

Not insinuating the survivors were involved, but I think the answers to these two questions (which LE may have) would shed valuable light on which direction to take.

A spokesperson for the Chapin family said in a statement that they are "beyond grateful" for having a police liaison and that "there is an ongoing and open line of communication so we remain knowledgeable about any new happening before the public."

A spokesman for the Idaho State Police said a family liaison had been assigned since the beginning, "with each family wanting different levels of contact."

LE has never mentioned any sort of "trophy" taken from the scene which is of course privileged information but that could be key as to the murders being by a psycho serial killer or a "local" revenge killing. We are located much to close to BTK's operating area and he always took a "trophy".
Unless one of the girls hypothetically never took off a certain piece of jewellery and it was missing from the body, I don't think you could even hazard a guess at the scene. Maybe now that families are getting the personal belongings of their children back they may notice something of significance missing, IMO though I think it's probably unlikely.

I wonder if the police haven't identified their white Hyundai already. Now they are taking info on all the OTHER white elantras in the area to eliminate them. Remember the police saying they were working for a conviction, not just an arrest. This way, after an arrest, when the defendant claims its not his Elantra, the police/prosecutor can say they already tracked down all the other possible white Elantras, and his is the only one possible.
I have wondered this too. I wondered if at some point its been identified by later submitted footage and now perhaps they are seeking additional footage to map the route taken.

No, I think it's more than that. This was an almost mafia-style execution.
I wonder if one of the group had crossed paths or got involved with the wrong crowd on a personal level. <modsnip>

MOO.
If it was 'mafia style' execution it would have been a single bullet to the head. IMO. This is not the MO of gang, cartel or mob-like perps. IMO.

More "experts" weigh in :rolleyes:

Well IMO the "experts" should also caution the media to refrain from using ambiguous wording and sentence structure designed to drive more views to their site to get their numbers up and be cautious to report the facts without innuendo.

I have keypads on my home and businesses. At one of our businesses, the building is old and the door will catch so it won't latch. We've had people walk in only to trip the alarm.

Our home is over 100 years old and the door is much older than the latch, so we have to be mindful about closing it too. One morning, I was grateful for that lock when I was up at 4 to get in to our shop early and someone was trying to pick the lock on our door. They definitely work, but we have to ensure they latch!

I wonder if the construction on the King St building was such that the doors hung a little oddly, so they had to be mindful to shut and latch the locks the way we do.
This doesn't exactly speak to your point but as I'm reading your post, I wonder if it even matters.
It was a party house. We've had several WS posters verify this. I have to wonder if these kids had an open door policy.
People could have been going in and out at any time. Also, locals have stated that it's the kind of town where no one locks their doors.
Gotta wonder if the kind of lock even matters, in this situation.

All of this information about an Elantra's tire screeching ability is IMHO worthless. If the perp drove to the murder site, would they leave in such a hurry to attract attention from possibly LE in the area? I think not.
There was no need for the perp to screech tires leaving as it would be 6 to 8 hours before the crime was discovered. The perp probably sauntered away from the crime scene like any otyher person on the street at that hour. If the perp had a car it was probably blocks away from the crime scene. JMO

Unfortunately it could easily be someone they knew. There was a double murder in Napa, CA in 2004. Two girls in their 20's, roomates, came home from dinner and went to bed. Both killed in sleep other was killed while defending herself. They interviewed 0ver 500 people (I was one of them). But found no suspect. LE released almost no info and the case went cold. This is a small community so you can imagine the panic. Eleven months later LE released the brand of a cigarette found as evidence to the public. Within the week the killer came forward and turned himself in. He was friends of theirs. His motive was anger over something one of the girls had said that caused he and his girlfriend to break up. The two had actually gotten back together and married in 2005. The bride not knowing her husband was a killer. And I can assure you none of us knew.
So right under our noses he murdered two of his friends, lived a normal life and fooled us all.
I want to stress that these occurrences are rare. You cannot live in fear. But these things do happen.
That guy was so normal that one of the victim’s mother spoke at his wedding

When there is an arrest in this case the defense attorney will pour through ALL of the theories expressed in news media and even SM. IMO the reason there is so much focus on the vehicle at this point is they MUST eliminate any connection of the vehicle to the homicides. All of the tips MUST be eliminated as not credible or credible. IMO if this isn't done the defense attorney team can ask any witness (i.e. investigators), "What about the white Hyundai Officer? Did you investigate that?" If the answer in NO, you have created REASONABLE DOUBT! Every tip must be evaluated as credible or least credible and you go forward from there to best utilize your resources.

Again, IMO the Hyundai is a "red herring" but the lead must be chased down and eliminated or classified as viable.

Law enforcement isn't in the business of red herrings. Likewise, why would they publicize a car that they are just wanting to 'rule out'? Particularly when they say they are confident the person or persons in this car have critical information regarding this crime. Indeed, if they were just trying to 'rule it out' and prevent a defense attorney from creating reasonable doubt, they have already created said doubt with their statement that the car was there and the occupants know something.

The car was there. It is relevant. It holds the key. It is likely the perpetrator himself.

My opinion.

Unfortunately it could easily be someone they knew. There was a double murder in Napa, CA in 2004. Two girls in their 20's, roomates, came home from dinner and went to bed. Both killed in sleep other was killed while defending herself. They interviewed 0ver 500 people (I was one of them). But found no suspect. LE released almost no info and the case went cold. This is a small community so you can imagine the panic. Eleven months later LE released the brand of a cigarette found as evidence to the public. Within the week the killer came forward and turned himself in. He was friends of theirs. His motive was anger over something one of the girls had said that caused he and his girlfriend to break up. The two had actually gotten back together and married in 2005. The bride not knowing her husband was a killer. And I can assure you none of us knew.
So right under our noses he murdered two of his friends, lived a normal life and fooled us all.
I want to stress that these occurrences are rare. You cannot live in fear. But these things do happen.
This is crazy! This was one of my first thoughts in the very beginning of the case. Seeing as Kaylee's sister called her a Sleuth. I thought maybe she had bad vibes about a boyfriend of a friend or roommate, or maybe helped a friend/roommate through a break up (how many times have women convinced other women to have the strength to leave an abusive relationship?), said girlfriend leaves, and then the boyfriend went on a rampage. The girls all seemed really close where I could totally see them (in my mind), supporting a friend in need. So kind of random that one of my first feelings was actually a true event in another case. But at this point, I thought that would have already been worked through so seems a little deeper.

All just my opinions/thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member