ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the Fox News interview with Kaylee’s parents, they were asked if they had any clue Kaylee was unsafe in Moscow. Her mom said “Absolutely not. And if there were we would have told Kaylee to come home immediately, and same with Maddie.” Her dad said Kaylee was very aware that she was a pretty girl and it could attract some problems and that if she felt uneasy she would turn her camera on and film someone and that she was very aware of her surroundings. To me, that sounds like she did not have a stalker, at least not that her parents were aware of and it did sound like she communicated about that stuff with her mom regularly.

Her mom also said she locked her door and car that night. I’m curious how she knows she locked her door if there were no signs of forced entry though. Unless the police meant there were no signs of exterior forced entry and maybe the door to her bedroom did have signs of forced entry.

Literally the only way the parents could know if the door were locked would be to watch her lock it on FaceTime or something.

K's parents were talking about K saying those things during her week-long recent stay with her parents, not during the call to J on that Saturday night when she called six times.
That makes sense. Her dad described it as "one of her last messages" and her mom said Kaylee wanted him to come over- J also attends U of I so it makes less sense to me that she would have been asking him to come over to her parents' house an hour and a half away, than if she had been asking him to come to the house she shared with the roommates in Moscow. What you said is probably most likely even considering those things, though. Either way they seem to feel very strongly those six calls Saturday night/Sunday morning were just more of the same.

SO, it's been allll speculation that the calls were about a dog, or about anything since they left no voice mails....very very odd.

WHY not leave at least one message....urgent to get in touch with J....but no message left?? NO text??

Cant say where my mind is going, BUT THANK YOU for explaining!
No idea if this applies or will be helpful, but I spend a lot of time with college students, and not leaving a message (assuming this is the case), is consistent with my experience. Of course this is a generalization, but they tend not to use their phones for calling unless completely necessary, including leaving voicemails.

Also in terms of bedtimes (from other posts), 2:00 am is definitely an ungodly hour for me, but not for many college students, especially on a weekend.

All MOO of course.

Last edited:
The more I read about this the harder it is for me to believe that this was anything but a targeted killing that got out of hand. I don't think it has anything to do with a cult, political extremists, drug dealers, or anything like that. All of these kids, the victims, and the surviing room mates seem like nothing but kind, happy, well-adjusted college students. I'm going to stick with this being done by some obsessed kid that knew her although she may not have even known he existed. I'm gonna go with male, 18-30, socially awkward, possibly a U of I dropout. I don't think it was sexual or a thrill kill. I think it was anger that drove him.

But that may make him very hard to find. He likely has no close friends that would know of his obsession or notice any change in behavior. He will probably quietly leave town. His DNA is probably all over the crime scene but he probably does not have a record so nothing to match. They might get lucky with familial DNA matches but that could take years. And there is probably going to be so much foreign DNA on all of their bodies that there will be a lot of false leads. All the the victims were around lots of other people that evening in a crowded bar or at a party. Plus, all the visitors to the house!

Think about it. If you knew someone who was obsessed with one of those girls, now or in the past, wouldn't you have already contacted LE?
While I can definitely see this this being a targeted attack…there are completely random cases that have occurred in the past too. What is crazy is that it could be ANY of those things and you are right…if the perp’s DNA is not in the system (mine isn’t and definitely wasn’t when I was in college) that evidence could definitely prove worthless.

I can see LE possibly asking for everyone to voluntarily submit a dna sample but im not sure how effective that’s been in the past.

I am hoping the perp left DNA, surely they left some of their own blood). It will take time to separate that out but it may truly end up being a familial DNA type case.

Also, another article I read said that female are more like than men to kill with knives. Men are more likely to use guns. I don’t have data to back that up but adding it for thought. All above is MOO

Well, speaking as someone who’s called 911 a lot of times, (car accidents,) I wouldn’t say that someone was dead unless I saw a severed head, or found skeletal remains. I’d want to get medical help, to either help or ascertain that the person was dead. (Sometimes even trained emergency personnel get it wrong, so a layman shouldn’t presume to say that someone is dead.)

So, ‘unconscious, lots of blood’ seems right to me. And I don’t know how the 911 person sends things out. Are there codes for various situations?
Agreed and let’s keep in mind the caller might have stated what they saw - but the dispatcher who logs the call and communicated with law enforcement can only go by facts.

“Unconscious” comes from dispatch .. asking questions of the caller and transcribing to the log.

is the person moving? No =unconscious
Is the person breathing ? Idk I can’t check =unconscious

Is the person breathing? No = person not breathing.

Dispatch doesn’t usually say “dead”. As only the ME can pronounce.

Lastly I think a surviving room mate called after seeing 1 unconscious person on the second floor - on their way to the kitchen.

No idea if this applies or will be helpful, but I spend a lot of time with college students, and this not leaving a message (assuming this is the case), is consistent with my experience. Of course this is a generalization, but they tend not to use their phones for calling unless completely necessary, including leaving voicemails.

Also in terms of bedtimes (from other posts), 2:00 am is definitely an ungodly hour for me, but not for many college students, especially on a weekend.

All MOO of course.
agreed entirely. Personally, I think the calls are completely unrelated I think they were having a great time, giggling and inviting him over. Called over and over because he didn't answer. I could obviously be very wrong, but their behaviour struck me as totally normal saturday night behavior of a couple of girlfriends after being inebriated.

Respectfully, every literate adult knows the location of the heart and lungs, and that large, vital, veins and arteries travel through the neck. Any perp, with intent of murder, will know exactly where they need their first strike to land. A sleeping, motionless, defenseless, victim allows that first strike to be relatively precise, even if the victim is lying on their stomach. A large combat knife used with force will break through the rib cage and do horrific damage.

Basic anatomy isn't some special knowledge. This wasn't an autopsy, or a deer being dressed.
It doesn't make sense than an inexperienced person with that type of knife would have the skill to murder 4 people unless at least the first two were dispatched quickly and with skill.

I never said it was like a deer being dressed. I was referring to the murderer's skill with his weapon vs that of an angry neophyte.

Which is my opinion.

I agree. I know some people are fixated on this detail but who placed the call is so irrelevant compared to all the other details, IMO.
I know what you mean, but it's still pretty important; it's the first known discoverer of a victim and therefore....well, much proceeds from there. Location, location, location isn't the main thing: it's timing, timing, timing.

The roommate's phone but not necessarily the roommate making the call detail is huge too. Was it easily ID'd as not having been the phone's owner, because it was a male voice calling?

Some think so.

<RSBM>

Also, another article I read said that female are more like than men to kill with knives. Men are more likely to use guns. I don’t have data to back that up but adding it for thought. All above is MOO
I also saw those statistics posted in an earlier thread. I wonder how those statistics change as the number of victims Increases?

Iirc there are 6 bedrooms, 2 on each floor with a bathroom on each floor. Does anyone know if the bottom floor was set up with a cooking area? It would make sense to the homeowner to have the flexibilty to offer that floor as a separate apt if need be. Ie no one would have to go up to the kitchen for water, tea, a snack.

Also, if the roommates on that bottom floor had locked the door coming down from the kitchen, maybe the killer tried to go down, found the door locked and didn't want to go around the house to the more exposed entrance.
I think whoever did this was familiar with the area. I feel they were worried about possible cameras across the street and up the street at the apartments. I think the entered and left from the back of the house that faces the wooded tree area. Easier to run and escape in his mind and easier to hide and watch house.

It doesn't make sense than an inexperienced person with that type of knife would have the skill to murder 4 people unless at least the first two were dispatched quickly and with skill.

I never said it was like a deer being dressed. I was referring to the murderer's skill with his weapon vs that of an angry neophyte.

Which is my opinion.
I agree. I think this person was familiar with how to properly disable and kill with a knife. moo

i think most cases have an element of people who take the speculation too far away from the known facts
Yes, that is how I tend to categorize the posts as they come in, whether they include the facts or not, or explore reasonable suppositions when necessary. But one needs to keep track of where they are supposing, and also explore reasonable alternatives for their suppositions.

If you have to use your imagination to come up with something, what you have is imaginary. There are an infinite number of imaginary solutions and suspects.

There is one real suspect and scenario that already fits every known fact.

Trigger warning! This has an illustration of areas that are most vulnerable during a slashing. If anyone wants to see information on it. It helps breakdown the speed and swiftness this could have occurred. Especially if someone knew what area to target. The Dangers from Knife and Weapon Slashing
Here are screenshots from this article. It also explains the knowledge of human anatomy can be more important than weapon experience. Imo that goes along with a lot of killers

Attachments

• A0187761-ABE2-4FA9-B98E-2AB7F0F0B512.jpeg
    A0187761-ABE2-4FA9-B98E-2AB7F0F0B512.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 29
  • 42DF0F8C-5099-48EE-84C5-716985363136.jpeg
    42DF0F8C-5099-48EE-84C5-716985363136.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 20
  • E819D270-6ADC-4027-AF87-4EE5CB77F834.jpeg
    E819D270-6ADC-4027-AF87-4EE5CB77F834.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 6331544D-A474-4DA1-8E21-F71485D00052.jpeg
    6331544D-A474-4DA1-8E21-F71485D00052.jpeg