Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

rbbm​

''Idaho murders victim Kaylee Goncalves’ parents say police struggling with ‘mess’ of evidence​

The investigation into the killing of four University of Idaho students last week is moving slowly because the killer left behind a “mess” of evidence, according to one of the victim’s parents.
Steve and Kristi Goncalves, whose daughter Kaylee was among the four killed at an off-campus house in the early hours of 13 November, said they’ve heard from police that the crime scene is sprawling and chaotic.
“They’re telling us that there’s so much evidence that it’s going to take a lot of time to process it all,” Mr Goncalves told Fox News. “This wasn’t like a pinpoint crime. This person was sloppy.”

Last edited:
LE having to look at the roommates is normal. What was messed up was how their names and pictures were published for everyone to see by MSM. I keep mentioning Orsolya Gaal's case, but when her body was found, LE went to her home and actually put her 13-year-old son in handcuffs and removed him barefoot from the home, it turned out that the poor kid didn't have anything to do with the murder.

So, for MSM to go ahead and publish the names and pictures of them is just so messed up and helps nobody nor the case. And people questioning why two young, most likely in shock, girls acted the way they acted is just so pointless. We don't even know if they were the ones who found the bodies.
I totally agree, and that's one of the things I love about WebSleuths. They go the extra mile to try to protect the innocent.

More from NYP, they change headlines frequently, sometimes hard to tell what is new, IMO.

Is this the first pics of crime techs wearing full Tyvek and respiratory protection?

idaho-victim-kaylee-goncalves-parents-police-10.jpg

Cropped

71m4a3.jpg

LE having to look at the roommates is normal. What was messed up was how their names and pictures were published for everyone to see by MSM. I keep mentioning Orsolya Gaal's case, but when her body was found, LE went to her home and actually put her 13-year-old son in handcuffs and removed him barefoot from the home, it turned out that the poor kid didn't have anything to do with the murder.

So, for MSM to go ahead and publish the names and pictures of them is just so messed up and helps nobody nor the case. And people questioning why two young, most likely in shock, girls acted the way they acted is just so pointless. We don't even know if they were the ones who found the bodies.
Which I'm sure is why they are not releasing the audio of the call and protecting the identity of who actually dialed 911. If that gets released, it turns into open season by the MSM and the more - how shall I say this professionally - "extreme" true crime sites than WS.

All of those people are victims too and have been through a trauma beyond comprehension. The last thing they need is for randos online to go snooping through their social media and making shoddy connections that aren't there from posts like three years ago, etc.

If the killings were planned and methodical, as many posters seem to believe, then it can be assumed that the killer or killers were not only familiar with the layout of the apartment but would attempt to minimize unnecessary risk of being caught (i.e. minimize risk associated with the possibility of the act being interrupted and other house members being alerted by victims’ screams).

If this assumption is correct, that the killings were premeditated and methodical, what about the element of risk as referenced above?

A coordinated effort of more than one killer, acting simultaneously, would minimize the risk of other housemates being alerted.

I don't know the area at all, but just going by google maps - if I was the killer I would head west/south west from the house, it seems to have fewer houses and lots of trees. Then not too far from the scene is a botanical garden and golf course, complete with some ponds or lakes. I would always be tempted to dump evidence/weapon in water.
Going south or west avoids any university buildings or the edge of town, but the residential streets to the south and west are a bit of a maze, and some of them are dead ends.
If the killer went this way, they'd have to know the area very well.

LE has said at least one of them found one body per the whole "unresponsive and called friends" statements. What they have not done is outline an exact timeline of their actions or addressed how BOTH roommates came to be aware of the situation. So far they have only spoken about the one who called friends. And they have alluded to one of those friends being the one to call 911.

So either Roommate 1 didn't go get Roommate 2, or Roommate 2 was also awake and neither of them went to the rest of the house to get assistance for the one they found "unresponsive."

On paper, it sounds weird.

Is this normal procedure that a pressser is conducted one so soon after another? With toxicology reports, DNA samples, etc to be released in a few weeks' time as these things take time, I wonder if the reason to have another press conference this coming Wednesday is for police staff to put ''pressure'' and see if the perpetrator 1/is still in town 2/cracks and his/her behaviour becomes suspicious in the community.

Let's this tragedy be a wakeup call for landlords, authorities... whoever can fund/organise this, to install CCTV cameras - more of them - in student accommodation in the US. I live in university accommodation here in Glasgow (mind you, a rough area of the city) and my building is surrounded by five CCTV cameras (plus two inside the corridor leading to my flat and the flat of another female living on the flat opposite to mine, both pointing to the entrance doors; the corridor also has movement sensor lights 24/7).

I noticed K's sister mentioned during an ABC World News report that the house was known to be a party house and added ''So I won't say there were very private with that code''. I wonder if this code was posted on social media and somehow got in the hands of someone outside the student community (MOO I don't think this was done by a student) e.g., an obsessive character, a stalker who had seen the girls in bars or events around town.
Just my own speculation and MOO as always.

With a crime like this, I’d wager the perp knew the house did not have cameras. Whether from visiting or simply walking by and watching the house.

This reminds me, I had considered whether the perp may have used a drone for spying on the house.

1. “The two surviving roommates and the friends called to the house are not believed to be involved in the crime, according to police.”

2. “Investigators have also ruled out a man wearing a white hoodie near Mogen and Goncalves at a food truck around 1:45 a.m. on the night of the killings, city police Capt. Roger Lanier said at a press conference.”

3. “Police also do not believe that a person called seven times from Goncalves' cell phone after she returned home was involved in the attack, Fry said.”

I wonder if the 2 roommates were left alive because the killer ran out of time, in that, they would have wanted to be out of there before sunrise, right?
If the killings happened between 3-4 AM as the medical examiner indicated and after the autopsy results hasn't changed her view, there would've still been plenty of time had the killer wanted to go find the other roommates. Sunrise in Moscow that morning was 6:48 AM so if he finished killing the other four at 4 AM or even 4:30 that still would give at least another hour until daybreak would begin.

I suspect he only killed those four for two reasons:
  1. One was the target and once he killed the target, there wasn't a need to kill anyone else in his mind so then he turned to "get out" self-preservation mode.
  2. After his rage from killing the target - whoever that was but I suspect MM or KG - dissipates he realizes he's now taken four lives and left a bloody mess at the crime scene and it's also possible neighbors heard something so the goal is to get out ASAP. He likely either forgot there were two other roommates downstairs or thought they weren't home. Either way, they can't identify him so he doesn't need to spend unnecessary additional time in the house hunting for others because if he makes too much noise, one of them could call 911 before he can attack them.

I have a question on the timeline. Not just directed to you. I find it odd two sets of people arrived from 2 different places at the same time. I'm wondering if they just know E and X were home at 1:45 a.m. when K and M got back? Meaning, by 1:45 a.m. everyone was accounted for. JMO
@Manwel corrected my post so I may need to go back and edit it. I don't know hot to quote when replying to a different person, so here is what they said just now:

"Kaylee and Madison arrived home approximately 1:56. They were still at the food truck at 1:45. Police continue to name the wrong time that is verifiable by a video on the internet."

Regardless, they all got home at around the same time. What I suggested in my previous theory is that the killer was known to all of them, he/she conveniently ran into them out of sight of the cameras but nothing suspicious, it was a busy weekend and a concentrated student population out and about, then they all congregated in the common area (minus the two survivors who had gotten home earlier), had a last drink and ate whatever food they got at the food truck. My theory is that the killer had the opportunity to put something in their food or drinks to make sure that they were out for the count and then, when they were on the verge of passing out, grabbed their phones and attempted to reach J to get him to come over too since I jeel like all of them were supposed to die that night. This person might have even, say, let the dog out and 'found" it for them and was invited in to say "thanks" giving him/her the opportunity and access. The person could have helped all four of them to their rooms and waited for them to fall deeply asleep before attacking. He/she just didn't wait long enough because 2 had defensive wounds. I know that's a lot of guesswork but that's what I've got. IMO, JMO.

I woke up feeling like this might just be a serial, random, thrill killer whose motive is just to kill. They keep saying “targeted “ but I think they might mean that in a really vague way. I think of targeted meaning personal, even if the killer doesn’t actually know them. To me, it means they would be targeted for a specific reason—their religion, wealth, revenge, crossing the wrong
people, greek life etc. But maybe they just mean targeted b/c the killer wanted to kill and they were there? Could be they even watched them for a while, stalking—possibly even on SM. That still says random to me, b/c it’s not really a REASON other than to kill, but who knows.
I am getting a feeling of a random total psychopath instead of a personal connection. Maybe that’s wrong, and once the evidence is processed we’ll find out it was someone they knew or at least in their orbit, but for now I’m going with the most rare of the possibilities—a psychotic killer. And he’s on the loose.
LE has done a good job of trying to be transparent here and give info that they can. I think because it’s a University (sensitive situation), they are doing their best to be upfront and informative without giving too much,
I also think they’ve been vague and even misleading on purpose—only they know what their reasoning is, but I think it’s for a reason. We’ll see, but I hope they catch this killer NOW b/c he could be a ticking time bomb. :(

there was an article last week that said its not blood but copper or iron leaking from the pipes in the home and that its pretty common
I recall a poster stating that, but do not recall an article stating that. Have also seen it described as heating oil. I have stayed out of the "is it blood" debate, but it sure looks like fresh blood to me. Seems for an article to state that, someone would have had to get a sample and test it. Do you have a link to that article? Thanks.

Last edited:
I woke up feeling like this might just be a serial, random, thrill killer whose motive is just to kill. They keep saying “targeted “ but I think they might mean that in a really vague way. I think of targeted meaning personal, even if the killer doesn’t actually know them. To me, it means they would be targeted for a specific reason—their religion, wealth, revenge, crossing the wrong
people, greek life etc. But maybe they just mean targeted b/c the killer wanted to kill and they were there? Could be they even watched them for a while, stalking—possibly even on SM. That still says random to me, b/c it’s not really a REASON other than to kill, but who knows.
I am getting a feeling of a random total psychopath instead of a personal connection. Maybe that’s wrong, and once the evidence is processed we’ll find out it was someone they knew or at least in their orbit, but for now I’m going with the most rare of the possibilities—a psychotic killer. And he’s on the loose.
Me too, I'm getting a total Ted Bundy Chi Omega vibe about this case.

If the killings were planned and methodical, as many posters seem to believe, then it can be assumed that the killer or killers were not only familiar with the layout of the apartment but would attempt to minimize unnecessary risk of being caught (i.e. minimize risk associated with the possibility of the act being interrupted and other house members being alerted by victims’ screams).

If this assumption is correct, that the killings were premeditated and methodical, what about the element of risk as referenced above?

A coordinated effort of more than one killer, acting simultaneously, would minimize the risk of other housemates being alerted.
If the killer was familiar with the home and its occupants, he would have likely gone after the other roommates. That's why I don't feel it was a known person to the victims, nor a person who has been to the home to party or otherwise. Rather, I feel like the home was likely stalked from the outside, either the night of or recently prior, or he targeted either Ethan/Xana or Kaylee/Madison from wherever they were the night of and followed them back.

My opinion.

Hi everyone,
I've haven't been on WS for yrs, but I can't get this horrible case off my mind.
A couple of things no one is talking about that stand out to me.
First though- I am not disparaging anyone in this post. It's observations and I will try to do my post in a chorological order.

Kaylee wasn't living in the house anymore and had moved out bc she was done with school and was going to move to TX for a new job, but came back that weekend to hang with MM.
Who knew she was coming back? J obviously didn't know bc he never answered her calls that night.

The 2 survivors moved in, I believe in Aug- Kaylee posted about it.
Some of the pics of the 2 new roommates look like they both are not all that enthused to be there- that's just my observation of the pics.
The night of the attack, all 3 groups went their separate ways. Seemed a little strange to me that the new roommates wouldn't be hanging out with MM and MG being new roommates and all.
The new roommates came home first at 1am
MG, MM, EC and XK all came home abt the same time- 1:45
MG, MM, EC and XK had to see and talk with each other bc they all came home abt the same time
The new roommates probably sleeping??
EC, XK then probably go to their room
MG and MM start calling J franticly about 2:24-2:52- WHY?
I can see MG calling him, but MM calling him seems strange to me. The flurry of calls tell me something is going on here and it's not just booty or drunk calling- Just MO.
Then they go to bed abt 3am and the attack happen between 3am-5am!
The attack did not happen between 1-3am bc they were all alive and well up to 3am. That is a fact from the TL the police gave us. Why they changed it to 1-5am, I don't know.

Now, here are my main questions in this whole thing..

Who lived there before the 2 new roommates moved in?
Was someone ask to leave or kicked out?
Was the attacker mad at someone other than the 2 new roommates for making them move out?
LE say it was a targeted attacked, that is why I'm asking this question!
I am thinking if it was a disgruntled roommate, the killer is a guy who probably scared the girls. (Think knives)
MO is they know who did this and need time to process the evidence.

I hope they find this person fast bc he is impulsive and very dangerous.

They were so young and full of life.
May they all RIP.

Please forgive typos-Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads