ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is Xena's room was the front room (facing the parking level), not the back room--vacant.
I'd pick the room with no one above me, noise.
And that room has curtains, the other side doesn't (living room).

I have never heard or seen a single statement from a reliable source to affirm or even suggest that in fact Kaylee or any of these tragic victims had reported concerns about being stalked.
Her mother adamantly denies that she felt that she was being followed, and in fact points out that she was hyper sensitive to threats or of being followed.
Edited grammar :)
Parents of Idaho murder victim Kaylee Goncalves speak out | Fox News Video

Last edited:
Why would he kill the couple though In their bed though? He could have stealthily entered and went straight to the 3rd floor
If couple's room was below 3rd floor, there could have been noise on 3rd that caused 2nd floor couple to awake. 1st floor is almost like a separate living space if not for kitchen on 2nd. 2nd and 3rd floor seem to only need to access 1st floor to use laundry room. The killer entered for killing purpose of 2nd and/or 3rd floor only. Killer could have easily entered 2nd floor, gone down to ist floor to kill 2 roommates then leave from front door but chose to kill 3rd then 2nd or 2nd then 3rd floor.

I haven’t seen anywhere that the dog was definitively on scene, but if he was, I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if he hid during the attack, or was in a kennel for the night to sleep. Living in a college party house, he would have been accustomed to raucous behavior and well socialized to a zillion people coming and going. Most people want to believe their pet will jump into action if the need arises, but they usually don’t.

Hopefully allowed to link this Inside Edition video about pet dogs reacting to intruders:

Thought regarding timeline, they’re looking for video up to 6AM, which is at least 2-3 hours after they have indicated time of death (3-4AM). Has anyone considered that the perpetrator was still in the house possibly 1-2 hours AFTER murdering the 4 victims? That doesn’t imply someone feeling like they need to exit in hurry. One would think if it was really about revenge or some sort of rage that type of perpetrator would want to exit pretty quickly as their cortisol would probably kick to flight mode. The victim’s father mentions a messy scene and “sloppy”, with evidence left behind. But that doesn‘t necessarily mean it was evidence connected to the perpetrator or it was not very well orchestrated. It could have been messy and sloppy due to what the perpetrator did to the victims after they were murdered, not necessarily as a result of the actual act murder.
I’m also extremely curious about the 911 call. I find it very implausible that a group of college students or even one for that matter) would see someone lying down but opt not to go administer aid in some way shape or form but just call the police and wait. But then police get there and EMS do not go into the house? If they truly thought someone was passed out/unconscious, EMS would’ve at least tried to enter the house. And they must’ve known that the other roommates were in the house/not communicating at noon on Sunday, yet no one checks on them? IMO, the 911 call explains the true nature of the crime scene (gruesome) and not “someone unconscious, need a welfare check kind of call.” It‘s much more likely the 911 call was made and then surviving roommates called friends or RAN OUT OF THE HOUSE to the nearest house they knew. I find it hard to believe the roommates would’ve stuck around long if they saw the scene (which I think we HAVE to assume at least one of them did).

I go back and fourth with my thoughts. One thought is he is local and loving the attention and watching all the news getting off on it that he created. And he is still in the area. Other thought the girls were targeted from the bar, food truck and he was surprised by the young man and his girlfriend. Had to killed them all and he is gone.....

I’m wondering if the dog wasn’t in one of the survivors rooms if they were home earlier and they thought there was a party upstairs. Mainly to keep him from running away.
What was the breed of dog? Was it a yapper or a quiet dog. Big or small? Regardless, it had to have been confined or bloody paw prints would have been everywhere.

I would really like to know how LE is attacking this crime. Have they divided their manpower up into teams that each focus on a possible motive? What do they think the most likely motive is? Have they dug deep enough to thoroughly clear those closest to the deceased? I’m also curious as to why none of their close friends or workmates have spoken publicly. If they have I’ve not seen where. Are they afraid to? Have some of them lawyered up? I would also like to know specifics related to the brutality of the murders. I live in East Idaho and am all too familiar with Chad and Lori Daybell and the brutality involved with their case. I think of “Under the Banner of Heaven” and the brutality dealt the victims in that story, executed with a Bowie knife, of which the Kabar is a subset. DezNat uses Bowie knife imagery as part of their belief system. My point being that not only military, ex-military, and paramilitary should be associated with this type of weapon. If the crime scene is as bad as I/we imagine then it’s an emotional attack, one inspired by sudden reactionary hate, vengeful hate, or fundamentalist belief type of hate. Fundamentalist types of hate can include incels, cultists, and simply strangely wired individuals like mass murderers. I can’t get past the motive. And there really hasn’t been enough info disseminated to narrow it down. Just my thoughts. What a horrible outcome for these kids, their friends, coworkers, and families. I’m thoroughly disturbed.
Good thoughts and questions. As far as friends not speaking out, maybe it’s because everyone fled/left town for the holiday and probably don’t want to have anything to do with it?
I also want to know if there were clues indicating a targeted crime & what were they? A written message? Or something else?

If the surviving roommates did not SEE an unconscious person, wouldn't it have been reported to LE as a missing person? If the doors are locked and no one is responding, how did they know they were in there?

I feel like they had to have SEEN one of the victims in some way to call LE to report an unconscious (or injured, dead) person.

If there was a specific intended target, it could have been 1 of the 2 surviving roommates and the killer got spooked off before he got to them.

Unless US law enforcement use it in a specific context I find the term targeted ambiguous.

With them ruling out individuals where it could have been a crime of opportunity - ie the lift home, guy at the food truck etc… and on the basis it wasn’t a spree killing with multiple different locations and victim profiles, all that leaves really is targeted.

But a very broad definition of it. Could be targeted in the sense of someone they knew, targeted in the sense of a stranger stalker, even more generically targeted in the sense of students and what was a female house demographic.

It may be the term targeted is used more specifically in the US but if not it’s a very broad definition that includes a huge spectrum of motivations.

The longer they go without a viable suspect, the more likely it is a random and not “targeted” killing. If they do have a concrete reason to think it is targeted, then surely that should have led them to a suspect by now with all of the manpower and expertise they have on this case.

That half wall makes me re-think some stuff. I was imagining a door at the top of the stairs that could have been locked or blocked, and that’s why no one discovered the victims. Not a lot of blood in the kitchen or living room?
Yeah, Otto definitely came through with the floor plans and photos. It's still possible that the killer simply overlooked those stairs, or was focused on clearing the floor he/she was on.

You may be right, there may not have been any sign of trouble in the common areas of that second floor. Everything that happened may have been contained in the bedrooms. Whether anyone remained alive long enough to move out of bed is, I think unconfirmed at this point, but they may not have gotten far.

I think the reason so many people think that Kaylee and Madison were the targets is because, given the layout of the house, the killer first encountered Ethan and Xana and kept going. If the targets were Ethan and Xana why wouldn't the killer simply leave?

The thing is, maybe the killer did kill Kaylee and Madison first and could've been confronted by Ethan and/or Xana on his/her way out.

I agree, if that is blood on the exterior of the house (per media witnesses)....
It seems unlikely that it's blood. Even if there was a huge pool of blood, it would need to be up against the wall, and their would have to be a leak (for want of a better word) along the foundation. More likely a rust stain, or maybe paint?

Curiosa20 mentioned in the last thread the similarities with the Juetten stabbings in Marion County, Oregon in August 2021. I had not heard of these, but wow! Very similar IMO. A couple wakes up at 3am being stabbed by a mask stranger, husband dies on the scene and wife survives over 19 stabs. There was a guest (who was not normally there) in a nearby room who was left alone and called 911. Curiosa20 also mentioned that there were several other nighttime stabbings since 2020 in the tri-state area. I would be curious to hear more about this?

I am unsure if this sort of angle (different, possibly related, definitely similar, crimes) is allowed to be discussed here, so will delete if not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member