ID ID - Bing Olbum, 89, overdue from hike, left from Hunter Creek Trailhead, Custer Co., 1 Aug 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

citizen_sleuth

Verified family member - Orie Donald Esh thread
Reaction score
The Custer County Sheriff’s Office is searching for a hiker who has been missing since the beginning of August.

Bing Olbum, 89, left from Hunter Creek Trailhead on Aug. 1. The trailhead is around Mackay/Challis. According to the sheriff’s office, he never returned to his final destination at the McDonald Creek area.

Olbum was reported overdue Tuesday by family members. Search and Rescue units have been activated and are searching possible trails.

He is from Custer County. Olbum is described as 5’10” and is 170 lbs. He has brown eyes and white hair.

Anyone with information on Olbum’s whereabouts is asked to contact the sheriff’s office at (208) 879-2232.
Screenshot 2024-08-07 at 1.14.53 PM.png

<snipped>
The Custer County Sheriff's Office stated that Olbum had planned to hike up to McDonald Creek, which is located about 10 miles north of the trailhead in the Jim McClure-Jerry Peak Wilderness.

89 years old and out on a hike alone!? Well, sheesh: honestly, good for him. Hoping he'll turn up safe and sound. It sounds like he must love being out in nature and hiking.
I know some walkers who are this old, and even older. Tough people - and wonderful role models! But I am concerned that this hike got to him. I hope I am wrong and we have a great success story to celebrate.

jmo

Hard to find trailhead, maybe someone else can assist, I got this far...it was a rough go.

I couldn't find the trailhead on Google Maps either. This topographical map is hard on the eyes, but the trailhead is there at the bottom yellow photo marker. You can switch the map back to satellite up at the top right.

ETA: Yikes, the map didn't copy over as shown. So, enlarge map, switch to topographical, zoom in, and click on the second photo from the bottom. I think.

... He was supposed to exit the trails at the McDonald Creek Area but has not been seen yet.

Olbum is believed to have gone missing on the Hunter Creek Trail, a trail in the Salmon-Challis National Forest about 10 miles north of Sun Valley.

Hunter Creek Trail is a 5.6-mile out-and-back trail accessed from a parking area about 2 miles southwest of Meridian Peak. Hikers must ford Hunter Creek six times as the trail climbs about 1,400 feet through lodgepole and whitebark pine forest and open meadows.

The trailhead parking area is located at the end of Forest Service Road 477/128, which in turn is accessed from Trail Creek Road.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum
Back