Found Deceased ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 16, Rexburg, Sept 2019 *Arrests* #51

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are preaching to the choir here! People if they can avoid it at all will choose not to be involved for all kinds of excuses. What if they are wrong after all and end up looking like the fool?

I have myself called CPS on someone, but only after careful discussion with other witnesses. It is not something to be done lightly.

But, it happened to me and my sister back in the 1960s when things like child abuse were never discussed and a man's home was his castle. Very hard 50 years later to figure out all the other adults, including my mother, who should have known something and did absolutely nothing. I'm afraid it happens more often than not.
I am sorry for your experience as a child, and when I say I understand its because I do.

I agree, stupid on Chad's part, very stupid.

But if Chad was not the actual killer, it was smart to spread the number of suspects around to throw suspicion onto someone else. Takes your odds of being named from 1 in 2, to 1 in 3.

Same with having MG and DW there the weekend JJ was killed. Ooh, so Lori and Alex were not the only ones there. 1 in 2, to 1 in 4. JMO
IMO Chad wasn't the actual killer, yet he was way more nervous than Lori. Having bodies buried in your backyard is a huge deal. Lori likely had nothing to do with the burial.

I have a working theory that I want to share for some feedback. It centers around what the motives are and who is orchestrating things.
Taking a step back and looking at this I see similarities between this and the Manson cult murders.
We have a cult leader preaching a day of reckoning coming. A path to salvation for the choosen few who follow the gospel and a dehumanization of their enemies by classifying them as zombies. Its Helter Skelterish, IMO
I think its a distinct possibility that chad was a polished charlatan type feeding off peoples spiritful thirst for their money and admiration. That is until he met LVD
What are the chances that when she encoutered him she say he was vulnerable to his charms and easily controllable for her. She saw his following and wanted in on it, so she introduced the idea of murder into everything. She told him of we can get all these outside influences out of the way, they could be together forever.
When we look at the murders, they all revolve around her.
Just curious if anyone else is thinking something similiar or if I am off in the weeds.

I wonder if Lori insisted upon burying them there as proof of Chad's commitment to their plans to move together into the "second segment of his life."

Think about it: Lori had made several serious steps toward her life together with Chad. CV was dead at her and Alex's hands, she'd moved away from family, friends, and associates to Rexburg and removed her kids from most connections that might inquire as to their well-being, and she was eager to take the next steps necessary to becoming an "empty nester" without giving up the financial benefits associated with being "mom."

Sure, CV had seriously undermined their plans by changing his life insurance beneficiary so Lori no longer had the promised $1 million (I can just imagine Lori's panic about the Chad-to-Lori-power-differential shifting once that "loss of dowry" was discovered), but she still had the monthly income and eventual payout on Tylee's inheritance/life insurance on Joe and she had the monthly payment for JJ's care as an adopted special needs child. All that was necessary now was getting rid of the kids without detection (so the $ keeps rolling in) and getting rid of Tammy without raising LE concerns and collecting on the recently increased insurance on her life.

So, it was time for Chad to step up and put more skin in the game to demonstrate his commitment to the future. What better demonstration in a world between two sociopaths than to bury the kids in his own backyard?

(I can feel myself being very sardonic about all this and the truth of the matter is that it horrifies and sickens me that these kids' lives and the lives of CV, TD, JR, and all those who loved and cared about them were treated so despicably and cheaply.)

But, at some point, in some unrecorded conversation, Chad must have refused to obtain a divorce from Tammy. I'm not sure that Chad's intention was anything other than a clandestine affair, thought of as a multiple wife ( I mean more than one).

Remember the part in MG's recorded phone call where MG says something about Lori being with Chad before he was even divorced?

Lori replies that she "was never 'with' him" - meaning I assume no technical adultery before they married, and that he "was never divorced."

Somewhere else that I cannot remember now in my reading, I had got this impression before, that for Chad, he intended to remain "sinless and without spot", no divorce and no adultery.

<Snipped for focus>
When I was a child (7), I was required to use "dip pens" (like quills with metal nibs); the ink would splatter and the nib made a scratchy sound as the drop of ink finished and the nib went dry.

Oh my, RickshawFan, we share this memorable experience! Our desks even had holes in them to hold inkwells; we used Scrip Washable Blue ink, remember? All these years later, I am a collector and fervent user of vintage fountain pens. Not only does each one have its own sound (and feel), but each one behaves differently on different writing papers.

I suspect CD was furiously dashing off notes during that phone conversation, probably using a cheapie pen of some kind, or a pencil. I can see the two of them sharing a cell phone set to speaker, as if it were a podcast microphone, with CD bringing pen and paper into the small circle of conversation. A cell phone set on the table would easily pick up writing noises.

I am assuming cell phone. Did any of these people use landlines?

I believe it was a Facebook post for the offer of free compost and saying it had to be moved soon because they were moving.

Thank you, I had heard that before about free compost. Not sure how that got equated to left over dirt from digging up the bodies - and I understood it was at the daughter's house across the street as she was the one moving?

So, it was time for Chad to step up and put more skin in the game to demonstrate his commitment to the future. What better demonstration in a world between two sociopaths than to bury the kids in his own backyard?
On the morning LE arrived to dig up his backyard, I was thinking, no way would he be that stupid to bury the kids there, especially because Tammy and his son were living in the home when the kids went missing. Neighbors and/or passersby could also have noticed suspicious activity or the aftermath. It turned out that not only he did it in broad daylight, but he also tried to burn a body on an open fire. Maybe he wasn't taking the significant risk out of loyalty for Lori or stupidity but also out of arrogance?

And we know AxC had a gun as he kept it in a drawer in the bedroom when he Murdered CV.
So he may have carried one on himself or in his vehicle.
ALSO, CD may have had one at the house and carried one.
So, if there was a gunshot that day, per CD text to TD, then that is more than likely what happened, they used it on Tylee.
If there was NOT a gunshot that day but just a lie CD told TD to explain the dug up yard, then Tylee probably was NOT shot.
JMO

I used to think the text to Tammy about shooting a raccoon and so on was partly to establish an excuse for the sound of a gunshot used to kill Tylee. Now that we know her condition at burial, this seems unlikely, begging the question of why he felt the need to report shooting a raccoon. The larger question is where was Tylee dismembered? There is no word about evidence in the barn — and there would be plenty.

I have a working theory that I want to share for some feedback. It centers around what the motives are and who is orchestrating things.
Taking a step back and looking at this I see similarities between this and the Manson cult murders.
We have a cult leader preaching a day of reckoning coming. A path to salvation for the choosen few who follow the gospel and a dehumanization of their enemies by classifying them as zombies. Its Helter Skelterish, IMO
I think its a distinct possibility that chad was a polished charlatan type feeding off peoples spiritful thirst for their money and admiration. That is until he met LVD
What are the chances that when she encoutered him she say he was vulnerable to his charms and easily controllable for her. She saw his following and wanted in on it, so she introduced the idea of murder into everything. She told him of we can get all these outside influences out of the way, they could be together forever.
When we look at the murders, they all revolve around her.
Just curious if anyone else is thinking something similiar or if I am off in the weeds.

I'm having a very hard time seeing Chad as a polished cult leader. IMO he is not the originator of these last day teachings and the idea of zombies. More, he was riding the gravy train of interest in these topics. For instance, I do not see Chad being credited with the idea for the movie about child zombies, or for JM's pathetic comic book heros.

And it does not appear that he had a great following, or made a bunch of money off his books. Someone else mentioned just yesterday IIRC, that the Daybells were "poor" and it seems to be due to the lack of any real career as far as Chad goes.

Real money comes into play when a cult leader has the financial support (tithes) of his followers. Maybe that's what Lori had in mind, but then again, that would take work.

Lori used Chad as narcissistic supply. She was past 40, and all that admiration for the beauty queen was fast fading.

And him, he should have known that if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. I am very convinced that his days were numbered as soon as the money started running low. If he has any luck at all, it is luck in the sense that the murders of anyone close to LVD have stopped. JMO

I used to think the text to Tammy about shooting a raccoon and so on was partly to establish an excuse for the sound of a gunshot used to kill Tylee. Now that we know her condition at burial, this seems unlikely, begging the question of why he felt the need to report shooting a raccoon. The larger question is where was Tylee dismembered? There is no word about evidence in the barn — and there would be plenty.
BBM. He explained two changes in the backyard in his report to Tammy: signs of fire in the fire pit and disturbed ground in the pet cemetery. He used the raccoon for the second part.

Warning-graphic
As for dismemberment (IF it took place before burning): IMO it was done where there were tools and protection available. Also, the noise could not have alerted the neighbors. Did Alex own any suitable tools or did he borrow them from Chad? I think Alex's appartment and Chad's shed/barn are the best guesses as to the location.

Last edited:
It's just such a stupid place to dispose of them if it was planned. I mean, literally, a 15-20 minute drive further north from Chad's house is a vast area of what we call "desert" where they likely never would of been found. MOO. Heck, north, west, or east of Rexburg just a dozen or so miles would give them numerous places to hide a body. So dumb.
But then again, how many of us were looking at his place as the burial site? I remember tons of discussion about Yellowstone, sand dunes and dump sites around Rexburg, cabins and campsites in Utah, any number of desert areas in Idaho, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, and even off-road sites Alex would have known about from his trucking and waste disposal jobs anywhere between Arizona and Arkansas, but I can't recall a single person ever mentioning their own back yards as a possibility. I think that was the last place any of us would have thought of, especially since Tammy was still alive and living there at the time along with other family members. Chad's place, hiding in plain sight underneath the noses of all his unsuspecting and innocent family members, was a rather clever place to try and hide them.

In the end it was the cell data which gave them away. If it weren't for the cell data placing Alex on the property immediately after their disappearances, and Chad's mention of killing and burying the raccoon at the family pet cemetery, I believe we'd still be looking for the kids. And, with all due respect, that same cell data would have also likely pinpointed those other 'smarter' places that you suggested, if they had buried them there. Their 'stupidity' (thankfully) was in keeping their cell phones with them and turned on, and trying to create and text a cover story to others, while they committed the crimes. Their digital trail led LE right to the children. MOO.

BBM. He explained two changes in the backyard in his report to Tammy: signs of fire in the fire pit and disturbed ground. He used the raccoon for the second part.

Warning-graphic
As for dismemberment (IF it took place before burning): IMO it was done where there were tools and protection available. Also, the noise could not have alerted the neighbors. Did Alex own any suitable tools or did he borrow them from Chad? I think Alex's appartment and Chad's shed/barn are the best guesses as to the location.

Well, then you have to think of an excuse for why all the cleaning supplies. We all know how hard it is to clean up blood spatter, even when you think you have, unless it is done out of doors.

I believe the dismemberment was a result of the attempted burning. I don’t think it was done prior to the fire. MOO

But then again, how many of us were looking at his place as the burial site? I remember tons of discussion about Yellowstone, sand dunes and dump sites around Rexburg, cabins and campsites in Utah, any number of desert areas in Idaho, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, and even off-road sites Alex would have known about from his trucking and waste disposal jobs anywhere between Arizona and Arkansas, but I can't recall a single person ever mentioning their own back yards as a possibility. I think that was the last place any of us would have thought of, especially since Tammy was still alive and living there at the time along with other family members. Chad's place, hiding in plain sight underneath the noses of all his unsuspecting and innocent family members, was a rather clever place to try and hide them.

In the end it was the cell data which gave them away. If it weren't for the cell data placing Alex on the property immediately after their disappearances, and Chad's mention of killing and burying the raccoon at the family pet cemetery, I believe we'd still be looking for the kids. And, with all due respect, that same cell data would have also likely pinpointed those other 'smarter' places that you suggested, if they had buried them there. Their 'stupidity' (thankfully) was in keeping their cell phones with them and turned on, and trying to create and text a cover story to others, while they committed the crimes. Their digital trail led LE right to the children. MOO.

Yup, that cell phone data. Would have been different if Alex's cell phone only showed a visit to the Daybell property, but as you point out, supposedly there would have also been pings hitting all over the Western United States that LE had to rule out. And who is to say that Alex had no business on Chad's property, considering the ongoing relationship Chad had with his sister?

This leads me back to thinking that there is another source of information, an informer. Who would dare say that they think the bodies might be buried on Chad's property and be deemed credible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow