Found Deceased ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 17, Rexburg, Sept 2019 *mom, arrested* #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh for the love of... You're not talking about criminal litigation and judicial application of US law in state cases or in federal court with any of those things! The law does not depend on hypotheticals from some dude on Forbes who pointed out the legal equivalent of a "one weird trick" meme...

I'm so mad, I'm thinking about being verified...

Doesn't it bother you that some *advertiser censored***ole could be reading this thread right now, and think they can get away with murder, if they do it in a certain part of the US? I don't want to spread that belief because it is dangerous and wrong.

Hey there - BOTH of you have a point.

@DoctorAtty - You are correct that this whole "zone" is a moot point because we have seen all kinds of suspicious deaths surrounding these folks in major US Cities. The idea that they will suddenly head to a special zone to commit a crime doesn't make a lot of sense.

@KonaHonu - We *do* know that anti-govt leaning groups (which crossovers into prepper territory) are OBSESSED with bizarre legal loopholes that have never held up in court (like soveriegn citizen, etc). Which does mean that this "zone" is probably much more known and talked about in these circles.

In the end - there is A LOT of remote wilderness between Rexburg and wherever they exited Yellowstone and it is VERY upsetting that they have no cell phone messages, photos or any other evidence of Tylee after this date.

I guarantee you that overworked and underbudgeted YNP employees are not doing any searches at this point in time. This is just too large of a zone and as others have pointed out, the majority of the park is completely inaccessible during winter.

BPD does not entail an absence of emotions or feelings like antisocial disorders. Per the DSM, BPD does entail a lack of boundaries for feelings in regards for others, poor emotional regulation, and very intense emotions, but nothing emotionless.
Thank you for pointing this out, and for posting the diagnostic criteria for BPD.
(Diagnosing borderline personality disorder)
I'm sorry you've had to experience this first hand, @DoctorAttorney. I have a close friend who had a mother with BPD.

Janeen DeMarte Psychologist had a great list on qualifying Jodi Arias with having BDP.
Jodi Arias shows more signs to me, in that she was obsessed with Travis and couldn't handle the rejection/abandonment. (There may be other signs, but I'd have to go back and refresh my memory of her case.) Lori not only has had stable relationships (14 years married to CV, iirc) she has been the one to do the abandoning!

Reading the criteria carefully (as posted above) and from my own experience (on both sides of the mental healthcare field - in my career and as a patient), Lori may exhibit a few BPD behaviors but she would not meet the standard for diagnosis. She hasn't (as far as we know) been suicidal, threatened suicide or self-harmed. (one comment about driving off the cliff with her kids in the car before the end of the world isn't the same as suicidal ideation in a depressed person, IMO.) She has demonstrated extreme narcissism and callousness, and she has shown to have had religious delusions and delusions of grandeur.
This is only my opinion, of course. And if I may share another opinion... though I'm guilty of it myself with this post, arm-chair psychology is so often wrong and unhelpful. It seems to me that on a site where we aren't allowed to sleuth or speculate about family or anyone who isn't a POI or suspect, where we aren't to take social media posts (except those from MSM news sources) as evidence - perhaps we should refrain from attempting to discern Lori's (or Chads) possible mental illness? All of us pitching in our opinions and trying to diagnose someone based on reports of their behavior is just speculation - even a psychiatrist assessing her for court would require her complete mental health history and a lengthy in-person interview or two. Mostly though, I just don't think it will help us find out what happened to JJ and Tylee.
I'm not judging anyone here. And I don't expect this to be the last time that it will be brought up. I'm interested in psychology and mental health, myself, and of course it's natural to think about it in these cases. I'm likely being extra-sensitive about this, even. Just thought I'd shed some light where I could, and add my two cents on the matter.

this creepy fake creepy LDS sex troll
I know her behavior is disgusting and maddening, but I cracked a smile here. I've seen Lori described horribly numerous times and called by many bad names, but this takes the cake. My favorite, by far. :D

p.s. thank you for the warm welcome to the forum, fellow sleuthers. I browsed here multiple times on different cases over the years, but I've been following along here with this story from the very beginning. It feels good to be a part of the group. Hopefully we'll help find out the truth about the kids, and help to get justice for them (and Tammy and Charles).

Hey there - BOTH of you have a point.

@DoctorAtty - You are correct that this whole "zone" is a moot point because we have seen all kinds of suspicious deaths surrounding these folks in major US Cities. The idea that they will suddenly head to a special zone to commit a crime doesn't make a lot of sense.

@KonaHonu - We *do* know that anti-govt leaning groups (which crossovers into prepper territory) are OBSESSED with bizarre legal loopholes that have never held up in court (like soveriegn citizen, etc). Which does mean that this "zone" is probably much more known and talked about in these circles.

In the end - there is A LOT of remote wilderness between Rexburg and wherever they exited Yellowstone and it is VERY upsetting that they have no cell phone messages, photos or any other evidence of Tylee after this date.

I guarantee you that overworked and underbudgeted YNP employees are not doing any searches at this point in time. This is just too large of a zone and as others have pointed out, the majority of the park is completely inaccessible during winter.

So here's a little factoid I've come back to in my head a few times when I try to think through all of the wild possibilities about what happened here:

All three of the people who are dead in this case died in homes. Tammy died in her own bedroom. Charles died in the home he rented for Lori when they were separated. Alex died in the bathroom of his wife's Arizona apartment. Not sure what I'm getting at here, because Tylee was last seen entering (but not leaving, right?) Yellowstone...but none of the locations of these three deaths line up with remote locations.

Rude! I have been following this case since the beginning and I have never seen the video or read any articles about the woman who claims she saw Tylee at a concert, not to mention the posters that have recently joined this thread and might have not seen/read about the possible concert sighting.

Why would new posters want to know about a sighting that has been debunked?

According to the probable cause document, JJ’s Risperidone prescription was not refilled in Idaho. It could have been refilled in Arizona before they left for Idaho.

Alternatively, Charles could have had it filled in Texas.

Forgive me if I missed new posts about this, I have a few pages of catching up to do.

The Risperidone bottle they found (in November, if I'm remembering right) was last filled in January of 2019, correct? And there were 17 left? If so, whether he was prescribed one at night for sleep (and even and additional dose as needed) for a month or three months, could this mean he wasn't regularly getting his medicine for most of 2019? It's hard to figure out with them moving, and with Charles being in his life for the first half of the year (who likely gave him his medication appropriately/as prescribed.)

My brains are a bit fried from my online studies and trying to keep up with the thread. Could someone kindly help me figure this out? or if it's even possible to figure out with what info we have?

Did the nanny actually see evidence of Tylee or not? She mentioned something about Tylee wanting to be paid for watching JJ and that was why Lori got her to sit instead. Is there a transcript or copy of her statement?

If Tylee would watch JJ if she was paid for it, could that be where they are? Tylee being paid to watch and keep Jj hidden somewhere?
That doesn't make sense to get a nanny because a sibling wants paid. What makes more sense is that Tylee didn't want to take care of JJ by herself.

Rude! I have been following this case since the beginning and I have never seen the video or read any articles about the woman who claims she saw Tylee at a concert, not to mention the posters that have recently joined this thread and might have not seen/read about the possible concert sighting.
If you want to discuss it please do so. The debunking is not proven and won't be unless Tylee is actually found IMO.

Noticed that my last post was missing its final paragraph (and a bit more) somehow and there's no edit option available for some reason (maybe too long?). Anyway, here's (hopefully) the full thing:
<RSBM>

I just wanted to thank you for joining the message board and posting your insights. I have read Krakauer's book as well as the earlier book by Richard Ostling but I know that (some) LDS felt both representations were not fairly balanced. It is really nice to have a practicing LDS member offer their viewpoint on how these fringe/extreme groups can come to exist.

I do think it is very important (not just in LDS, but the many other examples of religious-based extremism) to understand how someone can get to the mindset of willingness to commit a crime (or even just a "social crime" such as scientology's extremely cruel disconnection policy) for what they perceive as "the greater good".

Lori lied to him that she had no minor children and Chad believed it ? He never saw Tylee or Jj at the Pioneer Road apartment? Never saw any toys on the doorstep or kids belongings around the place or wheeled kids bikes into storage? What else didn't he see? Tylee driving her jeep? The nanny sees a lot just in one visit but Chad sees nothing.
Didn't CD tell LE on 11/26/19 that he last saw JJ in Apt 107 in October? That would indicate he knew JJ enough to recognize him. Not to mention the fact that Lori had both birth certificates for the kids, JJ's iPad and Tylee's phone, in her possession when they were together in Hawaii. MOO, but I think CD definitely knew about the kids prior to their disappearance.

That doesn't make sense to get a nanny because a sibling wants paid. What makes more sense is that Tylee didn't want to take care of JJ by herself.
Did you read the whole statement? I am surprised that the babysitter even wanted to come back. I couldn't copy it but it is linked in the article.

Didn't CD tell LE on 11/26/19 that he last saw JJ in Apt 107 in October? That would indicate he knew JJ enough to recognize him. Not to mention the fact that Lori had both birth certificates for the kids, JJ's iPad and Tylee's phone, in her possession when they were together in Hawaii. MOO, but I think CD definitely knew about the kids prior to their disappearance.
I don't think Chad said that because then that would be JJ's last sighting instead of 23rd Sept. That's the whole point I think.

So here's a little factoid I've come back to in my head a few times when I try to think through all of the wild possibilities about what happened here:

All three of the people who are dead in this case died in homes. Tammy died in her own bedroom. Charles died in the home he rented for Lori when they were separated. Alex died in the bathroom of his wife's Arizona apartment. Not sure what I'm getting at here, because Tylee was last seen entering (but not leaving, right?) Yellowstone...but none of the locations of these three deaths line up with remote locations.
They were running out of being able to blame natural causes or accidents. For sure if they had a body, they would do an autopsy... No body, no autopsy

Man, some of these BPD comments are super judgmental & super WRONG. I’ve been diagnosed with it since my late teens, so I have a bit of experience & knowledge about it I’d say. Sure, some people who have it and don’t get treatment may be hurtful to those around them, but most of the time (in my experience) we only do things that hurt ourselves.

Granted I have had years and years worth of intensive therapy, but I am a damn good mother, fiancé, friend, etc. Lori may have some type of mental illness, but even if she does I don’t believe that’s why the kids are missing. Some people are just born assholes, there isn’t always a psychological reason.

I totally agree. I've lost track of how the discussion of sealing got started. I thought we were speculating about things they may have told fellow cult members after this article about their extreme religious beliefs came out: A look at the religious circle surrounding Chad and Lori Daybell | East Idaho News

Here's an interesting quote from the article (BBM):

In some of these groups, tied into this belief is the idea that a man and a woman might be destined to be together, even if that person is married to someone else. Like multiple probations, this is not a Latter-day Saint belief.

Contrary to LDS norms, Amber said her husband began to take another married woman to a Latter-day Saint temple to receive revelation from God. Temples are places of worship for Latter-day Saints where members perform marriage ceremonies and do spiritual work.

These people go to the temple and make promises to be together,” Amber said. “They pray about it and feel like they are getting answers.”

In interviews with other former members of these groups, some said things went beyond just temple trips. One east Idaho man, who asked not to be identified, told EastIdahoNews.com that during his time in a group, he was approached by someone who claimed to have received personal revelation that he was supposed to marry the man’s wife.

:eek:

Thanks for bringing forth the quotes from "Amber", because I was forgetting where we had seen the information that some apostates believed in "DIY sealing", on some sort of mushy-gushy modern apostate nonsense ("married in our hearts" or similar).

But you are right, that's the premise.

IMO, I still think it works for Chad and Lori's weirdness, whether or not LDS doctrine permits it.

I hope for the kids sakes he’s right. IMO there’s no reason for not showing a picture of the children holding a dated piece of newspaper...unless they look abused/neglected/dead. I hope that’s not the case but I don’t believe a word any of them says. If they do turn up safe I really hope someone prevents him publishing a book on it. They should not be allowed to profit from any of this. MOO

I call this the "kick-the-can-down-the-road" defense. "All will become clear in time", boogity-woogity claptrap.

IMO, CD and LV's lawyer(s) have got nuttin' to say about missing kids that will enlighten any of us or relieve our minds; but the coconspirators would "sure as their eventual destinations in hell" like us to think so, to muddy the waters until trial.

"If you can't dazzle them with knowledge, then baffle them with BS".

Well, here's the thing. When Lori married LaGioia in 1995, her name was still Cox. That is from the record on the marriage it says Lori Cox - so was she really married before? Who knows. BTW, I am referencing marriage number one........LaGioia is number two just to clarify.

Yeah, I'm going along with Lori getting pregnant out of wedlock if these dates are right. We also know (I think directly from CR) that he was officially adopted by JR, FWIW.

Sure, I am new to WS but not unfamiliar with certain aspects of this case. It is complex and the reasons I was drawn to elements of the case are similar to why others were drawn to follow this story. For me personally and professionally, several reasons come to mind: my previous experience working in journalism (specifically investigative journalism i.e., Nate Eaton and staff, Justin Lum and staff), my personal experience as a member of the LDS church (though not an active, current member), and I have raised children of my own. Again, my opinion only.

Not our POI but a byproduct of the major players, Tylee was not legally an adult, but, based on what we have all learned publicly at this point, she lived in a dysfunctional family environment. Even before her stepfather was killed, we have publicly available evidence that her biological mother could be considered mentally unstable, based in part on court documents provided to media. We have also learned that Tylee Ryan’s biological father, Joseph Ryan, died, allegedly from a heart attack in the first quarter of 2018. Just based on that information, Tylee Ryan has only half (50%) support system, based on the role that her biological parents played in her life.

From court records, we can also learn that there was a contentious court battle fought for Tylee for custody between LV and JR. It is documented and, it is my opinion, that the reason JR fought hard for custody was because he had been raised as a foster child, as was his sister, Ann(a) or Ann(e)? Cushing(?)

Well, if you look, not only the court records with CV and JR but a long history. But, looking out for the minor kids, I think it possible that Tylee was placed into a position of acting in a more adult role. MOO

The long form interview Justin Lum did with CR, Colby as good as says that Tylee placed herself in the position and relished it, to the point where she would indeed butt heads with CV.

CR strikes me as a rather tame and rules-abiding individual with more than the U.S. standard level of devotion to his religion (large cross prominently displayed in his living room along with interview). I can see where, as such an obedient individual, his worldview may slant more towards thinking that Charles as "the father" was right and that Tylee was taking too much upon herself; so grain of salt as to the phrasing he chose here.

However, he was also definitively clear that Tylee would have gone wherever JJ went. :( . He was also clear that he and Tylee had been in touch discussing "mentor-like" topics via text, etc., and that all of a sudden these discussion tips stopped, and he couldn't rouse her text thread anymore. :( :(

See that's also the part I don't understand in this. The reason for getting rid of the dog. Maybe she really was ignorant about laws that allow service dogs? Maybe she didn't want to keep caring for the dog? I'm at a bit of a loss in that regard.

Yeah, I'm not sure what her actual problem is and we may never know, except possibly that she was trying to get a hold of $$ (penny-wise, pound-foolish, is my mother's mantra), and the clever service dog trainer foiled her.

I don't know for certain, of course. This is always a wildcard. But I suspect that it will go much like when other prophesies (including those of JR) failed to materialize: there might be efforts to explain the non-ending, perhaps a re-worked chronology, most will probably figure they've been led astray and try to get back to normal life somehow.

And sometimes, it destroys families for entire generations (Tara Westover's "Educated" is a good read on this).

You may have a point, and maybe I am reading too much into that comment/being overly PC, but I just can't imagine a caring adoptive parent breezily referring to their child as a "drug baby." There can be stigmas attached to labels like that, and it seems the information is unnecessary when introducing your family to the neighbor, IMO.

Yeah, the kids at Urban Dictionary (granted they're crowd-sourced idiots) call "crack baby" an insult in no uncertain terms. It's unappealingly flippant, at best.

She told nanny lots of things that weren't exactly accurate, such as JJ was send to grandparents for a month, that Tylee was attending college, that her husband died of a heart attack. So I wouldn't assume that she was actually in Hawaii just because she told that to a nanny.

She also told her friend April that Tylee would go to BYU-HI, so clearly I don't think we can trust Lori on whereabouts of Tylee.

Tylee's aunt says no. The woman's story has been checked out (and disregarded)

IMO the TV station was guilty of trawling for ratings. The woman "feels sure" that whom she saw was Tylee?

That, and $0.75, will get you a cup of coffee down at the VFW.

"Looked exactly like her"; except the grandparents (convenient) "wouldn't allow any video to be taken, all night long"?

Personally, the first thing I'd do would be to start with a surreptitious camera phone picture; not ask if I could take video. Etc., etc.

Nanny didn't see Tylee. Not sure why Lori would get nanny instead of Tylee (if Tylee wanted to be paid for babysitting), because nanny also wanted to be paid.
"“Her daughter also lives in Rexburg and is going to college,” the nanny remembered, of what Lori told her. “She said her daughter doesn’t like to babysit JJ without being paid so she wanted me to work for her. Occasionally her daughter would come visit for dinner or to do laundry, but she never said that she lived there with them. It appeared that only Lori and JJ lived there, from the look of things and from what she told me.”"
Missing Idaho kid's nanny recounts experience with Lori Vallow days before disappearance
Ok thanks. I've now read the whole statement by the nanny but it is watermarked and I cannot copy it. It mentions the female friend arriving and it is regarding a podcast the nanny says. So I am wondering if this is the woman seen on the neighbour doorbell footage perhaps.

Last edited:
Personally, the first thing I'd do would be to start with a surreptitious camera phone picture; not ask if I could take video. Etc., etc.

Public place - you can take pictures/video. Also public place and someone discards trash, you can pick it up (incl. for dna testing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow