Description:

• Date of Birth: December 02, 1964
  • Race: White/Caucasian
  • Height: 5'10" (70 inches)
  • Weight: 165 lbs
  • Hair Color: Black
  • Eye Color: Brown
  • Nickname/Alias: Unknown
  • Distinguishing Marks/Features: He was born in New Zealand and speaks with a New Zealand accent.
  • Clothing & Personal Items: Pete
  • Identifiers: Unknown
Circumstances of Disappearance:
O'Brien was last seen in Boise, Idaho on April 2, 2009. He dropped his two young sons off at his ex-wife's house that day. He was supposed to pick them up two days later, but didn't return. He has never been heard from again. He left behind his cellular phone, wallet, credit cards, keys, car, and other possessions, except for his laptop computer and passport. He also left his apartment unlocked. He also paid his apartment's rent for April.

It's uncharacteristic of O'Brien to leave without warning. He enjoys hiking, particularly in Camel's Back Park, and authorities looked into the possibility that he went for a hike and got lost or hurt. They also investigated the theory of suicide, but found no evidence to support it.

O'Brien's ex-wife stated she hadn't seen any indication that he was depressed prior to his disappearance. She described their relationship as "strained." Police don't believe he left the country, as his passport has not been used, but they think he could have walked away from his life and traveled elsewhere within the United States. He worked as an audio editor for films and was having personal and financial problems at the time he went missing.

O'Brien was born in Wellington, New Zealand and has lived in several places around the world throughout his life: He lived in New York as a child, moved to Australia and graduated from the Australian Film Television and Radio School there. He moved with his wife and children to the United States in 2000, and they were living in Vermont when his marriage ended and his wife moved to Boise. His sister and brother live in Australia.

O'Brien had been living in Los Angeles, California until about seven weeks before his disappearance, when he moved to Boise to be closer to his children. He is described as a dedicated father who adored his sons. He has played the saxophone in a professional jazz band and is also a good cook. His whereabouts remain unknown.

Investigators:
  • Boise Police Department: (208) 577-3000; (208) 570-6000
    Reference Case #: Not available
NamUs Case Number: Not listed
NCIC Case Number: Not available

Peter Denis O’Brien – The Charley Project
Peter Denis O'BRIEN
https://isp.idaho.gov/MissingPersonsViewer/viewPerson?type=OTHER&id=M078063039

Local here- his ex-wife, Susan, is still heavily involved in the community through College of Western Idaho, et al. From people who I know have interacted with her, she kind of has a snooty, "I'm better than everyone" attitude. Her connection to his disappearance is brought up from time to time, but usually in a gossipy manner than people having concrete theories around the disappearance.

• peter_denis_obrien_3.jpg
  • peter_denis_obrien_4.jpg
  • peter_denis_obrien_5.jpg
  • peter_denis_obrien_6.jpg
O'Brien, circa 2009

I don't know what to think on this one. No sign of a struggle. Vehicle was left behind. Only laptop and passport missing. Did he take his laptop on a hike to get some space to work on something, only to get lost or have an accident? I could see him leaving his cellphone, if he wanted no distractions. But I don't know why he would take his passport with him?

If foul play, was there something incriminating on Peter's laptop? Was the passport taken to fake a voluntary disappearance?

I would also ask if there's independent confirmation that he ever left his ex's house, especially when she herself describes the relationship as "strained." I realize his car keys were left behind (at his place? her place?) so that suggests he returned from dropping his kids off. But if the ex's place was within walking distance, then he wouldn't have needed car keys (or his cellphone, credit cards, wallet, etc.).

Then again, he was having "financial problems at the time he went missing." Was it just general debt, or did he owe money to someone specific? Could that person have retaliated? Maybe the laptop was sold or harvested for parts as part of the payback?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow
Back