ID ID - Pocatello Abductions, 1978-1983

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't think so. Two interesting series of crimes, same state, but hundreds of miles apart. No connections to my knowledge.

I think there were always rumors about a connection, but as far as I know there was no more basis than just the coincidence in time. There are a couple of Montana murders that were also speculated about being associated, but somebody else was later convicted for those.

A statement from the sheriff regarding the Tina Anderson and Patricia Campbell case.

"Sheriff Semrad has been asked to update the community on the status of the 37 year old cold case in the Trail Hollow area where Tina Anderson (12) and Patricia Campbell (15) were murdered in 1978. These two girls were reported missing on Pioneer Day 1978 from Alameda Park in Pocatello. Their skeletal remains were found by hunters in October 1981.

There was a lot of confusion as to where the girls were actually killed. However, early in the investigation evidence was located at the scene that confirmed the murders had occurred in our jurisdiction.

Evidence was sent to labs for analysis both in Idaho and Utah and unfortunately much of the evidence was lost in the 1980’s. Many theories have been looked into throughout the years, but no arrests have been made.

In 1998 Sheriff Semrad was given a manilla envelope from a State investigator that contained a few statements, reports and photos reference the Anderson/Campbell investigation. Since that time investigators from the Sheriff’s Office and other agencies have pursued leads and statements and have solved the case. Investigators are confident in who the perpetrators of the murders are, what the motive was and how the murders occurred. Even though physical evidence has been lost through the years, investigators have done multiple interviews with suspects and witnesses that have led to conclusions of what happened. Even though the evidence is circumstantial it is very strong evidence.

In 2011 Sheriff Semrad and two investigators attended a cold case training in Salt Lake City. (Paid for by the Oneida Deputies Organization) During that training the “Vidocq Society” was in attendance. The Vidocq Society is a group of professionals which, “The mission of the Vidocq Society is to act as a catalyst and provide pro bono assistance to law enforcement agencies to aid them in solving cold case homicides”.

We presented our case to this group and were told that they couldn’t see that we could do any more than what we had done. The Prosecutor that was with the Vidocq Society asked why it hadn’t been taken to trial or at least to a Grand Jury. He explained that he would have no problem in prosecuting the case with the evidence we had collected on the case.

The case has been submitted prosecutors locally and at the Idaho Attorney general’s Office. The Attorney General’s Office was moving forward with the charges on multiple occasions. However, this did not transpire as one prosecutor moved out of state, another prosecutor left the Attorney General’s Office, another prosecutor became a judge.

The case remains open and investigators are confident that it is solved. We hope to bring some type of justice through the courts for the families who have waited so long for some type of justice and closure. We work very closely with the families of the victims and appreciate their patience and cooperation. Blackfoot and Pocatello City Police have been very helpful as well, and Eastern Idaho Cold Case has also helped both in getting information out to the public, and financial contributions."

I'm not real familiar with this case but from that it sounds like they know who did it and are waiting on the prosecutor to do their job and stop dragging their feet.

https://www.facebook.com/oneidacountysheriffidaho/posts/674968009308545

http://www.idahostatejournal.com/ne...cle_9300e569-df03-5d29-8a1f-3ed95ea13a69.html

So do they know more about the third girl whose remains were nearby?

Yeah, what about the third girl? They didn't mention her at all.

I'm not sure they even know it was a girl, all they have is a partial skull.

The remains were said to be found a few hundred feet away.

Namus has her race and gender unknown and the estimated age as an adult.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/13607

I'm not sure they even know it was a girl, all they have is a partial skull.

The remains were said to be found a few hundred feet away.

Namus has her race and gender unknown and the estimated age as an adult.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/13607
so I'm wondering if they're thinking those remains sure unrelated to the two girls taken from pioneer day.

I spent so much time at Alameda Park growing up... They still had pioneer days there when I was little and I loved getting the snocones.

I remember lots of hushed rumblings from the grown ups about that park. We were NOT allowed in the bathrooms there, so I'm pretty sure we engaged in some public urination. Although it wasn't kidnapping people who supposedly hid in the bathrooms but rather "perverts," which I suppose encompassed kidnappers too.

With what little they have of the third set I doubt they've determined if they're related. There's a chance they are, I don't know if I'd give it a good chance though. IN 2006 They did re-search the spot of the two girls from 81 and found evidence that was damning to their suspect according to what I read but there was no mention of looking for the rest of this third set. I'm wondering how thorough they scoured the area back in 86 when this skull was found.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the third girl determined to be biracial? Is Alameda Park still functional? It's really weird how so much weirdness went on and around Pocatello.

The bodies were found in a place called Trail Hollow which is off a dirt road about 3 miles north of Weston Creek Reservoir.

The bodies were found in a place called Trail Hollow which is off a dirt road about 3 miles north of Weston Creek Reservoir in Onieda county. This is a pretty remote spot only locals are likely to know about. It is not the sort of place some serial killer passing through looking for a place to dump a body might chose. Anything is possible but it seems unlikely the third body isn't related to the other two.

From what I know about Physical Anthropology, age can be fairly accurately determined by a skull and an educated guess can be made as to sex and race. Of course, a white male might have a skull with features more typical of a AfroAmerican female so it can never be absolutely certain. From what I have read, the present official opinion is that the skull is probably of a Caucasian female 15 - 20.

The skull dates back to the early 1980's or earlier. At the time there was not a standardized system for documenting missing persons and teenaged runaways were probably more common. There are hundreds if not thousands of people on missing persons data bases that the skull could conceivably belong to yet most missing teenaged girls from that era are probably not on any data base. There is a good chance no identification will ever be made.

Two mile canyon is what I keep seeing mentioned. tmc rd. runs into the trail hollow area eventually so maybe 4-6 miles east and south of Milad, in that area.

The link below has a photo of a article from shortly after the skull was found that gives us a good idea of what they found and what they thought. From the article, hunters from pocatelllo found the skull, LE searched an area of 300x300 sq ft for several days and did find additional parts of the skull. A female 15-18 was the determination/speculation from a pathologist and paleontologist and had been there 5-6 years. It was found within 500 yards from the other remains. That's not far given the vast hill country we're talking about.

I don't know why or at what point the AA or biracial speculation entered the story.

So possibly a missing teenage female reported or not that was last seen around 1980, give or take a few years. Apparently the skull is lost and no DNA on file.

https://www.facebook.com/EastIdahoColdCases/posts/419217434951047

The article in the Idaho State Journal and additional information in the Oneida County Sheriffs Dept Facebook indicates that Law Enforcement knows who killed Campbell and Anderson. The prime mover of this ongoing investigation seems to be Sheriff Semrad of Oneida County. Apparently there is more than one suspect and more than one witness and what Semrad describes as a strong circumstantial case. He reports that all physical evidence has been lost. Presumably this would be what was recovered at the site where the bodies were found. Interestingly, he indicated that there was evidence that the Trail Hollow site was where the murders occurred. (Perhaps brass from the murder weapon). Semrad credits the Blackfoot PD as well as the Pocatello PD so it is likely that someone with ties to that small town north of Pocatello was involved.

Apparently the Cold Case investigation was initiated back in 1998 when some State investigator gave Semrad a Manila envelope with some "statements, reports and photos" pertaining to the Campbell-Anderson case. If that was all there was, something was very wrong. This was the murder of two children. It should have been a major case with a large case file.

What is not clear is who had jurisdiction. The bodies were found on federal land in a small county with less than 5,000 inhabitants, that was unlikely to have the Law Enforcement resources to handle such a case. Until the bodies were identified, no one would have known there was any connection to Pocatello (and they had never initiated an investigation since the girls were dismissed as runaways). Is it possible that with the different LE agencies involved and the uncertainty as to where the crime actually occurred, no LE agency claimed jurisdiction and assumed responsibility for the investigation?

At this point, it appears that an investigation has been completed and Oneida County accepts jurisdiction. The problem now is to take this to court. However, no prosecutors has been willing or able to move forwards.

If from California where the Elected District Attorney of the county with jurisdiction would be responsible for the decision as to whether or not to prosecute. Apparently it is different in Idaho. Does anyone know how it works in Idaho. Who would have to file charges?

In California and most states I am familiar with, the decision where or not to file charges can be highly political. Prosecutors are reluctant to take cases they might lose; particularly high profile ones but then pressure from voters might force their hand. It is not unheard of for prosecutors to be swayed by the influence of families of either the suspect or the victim.

Is there something concerned citizens can do to push this along?

Alameda Park is at Randolph, Wayne, Park and pine in Pocatello. In case anyone wanted to check it out. It's one of those square parks in the middle of residential neighborhood.

Warning: this is going to be a very long post. My parents are both Pocatello natives, as are there parents. They both know a lot about the Cindy Bringhurst case. My dad's sister was a friend and my mom's dad was a firefighter and paramedic who was on scene when Cindy's body was found. As well, my mom was at the Alameda Park Pioneer Day celebration that day. I have also found out some very interesting information as I was talking about this with my mom. I don't claim to be a Pocatello expert, but I have been there more times than anyone would like.

A few things to note:

Let's try this again: • Warning: this is going to be a very long post. My parents are both Pocatello natives, as are there parents. They both know a lot about the Cindy Bringhurst case. My dad's sister was a friend and my mom's dad was a firefighter and paramedic who was on scene when Cindy's body was found. As well, my mom was at the Alameda Park Pioneer Day celebration that day. I have also found out some very interesting information as I was talking about this with my mom. I don't claim to be a Pocatello expert, but I have been there more times than anyone would like. • I’ve heard the Cindy Bringhurst story since I was 8. It hit the town very hard. I’ve even passed by the apartment where she was kidnapped. A few things to note: • At the time, Pocatello was the hub for the three largest trucking companies in the country. Also, Pocatello was a major port for the railroad. • Most people from Pocatello do not believe these cases are connected. • I’m going to lay out the information I know case-by-case • ***Cindy Bringhurst*** • My aunt saw Cindy Bringhurst the day before she was abducted. They were both attending Summer driver’s ed. At the time, teens in Pocatello took driver’s ed between 8th and 9th grade. My aunt says she was either Catholic or an inactive Mormon, but is pretty sure she was Catholic. • She attended Alameda junior high • Cindy was NEVER EVER believed to be a runaway. They knew she was kidnapped from the beginning. • She was babysitting the night she was abducted • The woman she was babysitting for was known to have a wild lifestyle. My mom had heard rumors she was involved in drugs. • The night of the abduction, the woman she was babysitting was at the bar where she was a regular. Her purse was stolen that night. • It is believed that the stolen purse is related to the murder • It is highly likely that the purse was stolen with the intent to rob the apartment. They have reason to believe that the thief was under the impression that the apartment was unoccupied that night • My grandpa was on scene when the body was discovered. They knew immediately it was her—either they recognized the hair or the shoes. Her body was badly decomposed and partially submerged in water. • Her body was too decomposed to determine if she was sexually assaulted • A teacher was suspected. He was run out of town. My dad and at least two of his siblings had this teacher. They all say he was very flirty with female students. My dad believes he is innocent, and from what I’ve heard they have decided he wasn’t a suspect. It was most likely just a rumor. • From my understanding, the police know who committed the crime and know the motive. Unfortunately, without eyewitnesses or physical evidence, they were never able to charge him. • ***Linda Smith*** • This case fascinates me the most. I read a little bit about it here: http://eastidahocoldcasesinc.com/attention-hunters-and-outdoorsman/linda-d-smith/ • No one in my family has heard of this case---so I think it’s safe to assume that it was classified as a runaway • She attended Alameda Junior High after transferring from Franklin Junior High • When I told my mom the location, she was surprised and gave me quite a bit of information. I will list them below: • Her house was right near where my mom worked in high school and college---both locations are within a few blocks of the county jail • Around that time there were a string of robberies—the suspect targeted convenience stores and dry cleaners • My mom was robbed at knife point at her work about a block away from Linda’s house. This robbery occurred within the same year as the murder. • The brother described the assailant as being in his 20s or 30s, smelling of sweat and alcohol, and having dirty-blonde hair and a beard • My mom describes her assailant as being in his early twenties, smelling strongly of sweat, as if he had not showered in days (this is what she remembers the most). He was unshaven and had strawberry blonde hair • Now, this is where I think it gets interesting—the two descriptions are very similar. First, I think a 19 year old (my mom) would be able to pin down an age better than a 9 year old. Second, strong body odor, such as that from someone who hadn’t bathed in a long time, can sometimes give off a similar scent as alcohol—especially to a 9 year old. Lastly, strawberry blonde hair can look similar to dirty blonde hair in the dark. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say that my mom may have possibly been robbed by the same man who killed Linda Smith • The beard tells me right off that it was a church leader. Mormon men in church positions can’t have facial hair (especially at this time) • At the time, Pocatello was a union town. Most unions do not allow beards. That eliminates fire fighters, police officers, railroaders, and most blue-collar jobs. So basically a good chunk of the town • Also of note: there was a string of rapes of sexual assaults on the ISU campus during this timeframe. Self-defense classes were offered, and many women started carrying pepper spray or guns. • ***Alameda Park—24th of July*** • 24th of July—or Pioneer day—is basically a second 4th of July celebration—it marks the day the Mormon pioneers reached the Salt Lake Valley • My mom remembers this picnic vividly. It was the first time she and her friend were allowed to go somewhere without a parent. Because of this, my mom and her friend went there at the very beginning of the picnic and stayed until well after the cleanup of the picnic had started • It was extremely hot and extremely packed • People were parking several blocks away and walking to the picnic • Both girls went to Alameda Junior High • My mom says it was too packed and rowdy for an abduction to be easily noticed • People mistakenly thought they were killed by Bundy • Most of my family members thought this case was solved • Oneida County has like 12 people (really 4000) and they’re all related and like all the land is claimed farm land. Don’t tell me they don’t know whose garage they were found in. You don’t sneeze in Oneida county without someone else knowing about it. And of all the places to hide a body, a shed is a pretty dumb one. I bet they were either held there or the killer liked to visit the bodies. I mean, the Snake River is just as close to Pocatello (maybe slightly further) as Oneida County. It just doesn’t fit with the other cases. He could have gone another 15 minutes south and dumped the bodies in Utah---then he definitely wouldn’t be found Also, since Malad is right by Utah—the third girl could be from there. • ***Lynette Culver*** • Confirmed Bundy victim—only putting this information out there because someone mentioned her. No connection to these cases. • Went to...yes, Alameda Junior High. Now, this may sound fishy, but my dad went to Alameda and said that it’s a very wild school. A lot of students died young and in unusual ways. My dad named of 13 people between the ages of 8 and 17 who died in weird ways—and that was just on his street! • Was thought to be a runaway until Bundy confessed the night before his execution. MO fits, although she is slightly younger than most victims. She was described as looking older than she actually was. Bundy knew intimate details of her life. My dad went to school with her and described her as being wild and that she seemed to have hit puberty very young • ***Why I don’t think these cases are connected*** • All the people I talked to who lived there at the time thought that a common connection between the crimes was absurd • The MOs are different. Linda’s and Cindy’s are similar, but they are completely different from the Pioneer Day abductions. • Linda’s appears to be sexually motivated • Cindy’s was a robbery gone bad • The bodies were found in completely different areas. One, in a secluded creek. Another in a semi-public place (Hospital Way is hardly what I would call secluded…I’ve actually accidentally gotten lost in that area). The other two were found in a shed or garage on private property • The perpetrator in the Cindy Bringhurst murder is likely known • The cases have different MOs Lastly, Pocatello is a blue-collar town. It’s full of Mormons, but not the stereotypical super-clean cut Mormons. There are some of those, but for the most part it’s pretty wild.

Where did your mom work? Buddy's? Oliver's? Ben Franklin? Elsewhere

Lol, I also attended Alameda. In the late 80s. It was definitely not considered the wild school when I was there. Irving and Hawthorne were the ones we thought were wild. What years did your dad attend? Did he live near Alameda school?

I'm not knocking your info, I just haven't heard some of this.

Experiences vary, of course.

okay now I feel super old. I still think of Pocatello Regional Medical Center as the "new" hospital. I've chosen to forget so much of that town. What was Hospital Way called before the hospital was built? I thought it was just part of Center Street? The hospital's historic timeline on their facebook page is vague about when they very first opened. It says patients were transferred there in 1982, but that seems too early in my, likely poor, recollection.

She worked at Your Valet I think.

My dad went to Alameda at the same time Lynette Culver did--'73-'76. I do recall my dad saying Irving was worse. I know my dad lived in Alameda proper, in fact the first 5 years his parents lived there it wasn't part of Pocatello. I'm thinking he just made Alameda sound horrible compared to my upper middle class Utah junior high lol. I don't know if the reputation has changed over the years. There's a 19 year span between the 7 kids in my dad's family and they all went to Alameda. I'd have to ask.

I also just barely found out that the teacher who was suspected in the Bringhurst case was in my dad's ward. Weird.

My mom said hospital way was empty but wasn't particularly secluded. I just remember that area because when I saw it I knew the drive was almost over.

I'm actually beginning to think that Linda's case and Cindy's case might be related. And I also think they might be related to the robberies. But the Pioneer Day ones are too different from my perspective. And I still think they need to look at who owned the property. AF reservoir was 20 minutes away...why not dump them there.

Also, there's a polygamist ranch in Oneida. The Kingstons, I think.

My parents said the ISU sexual assaults weren'the violent, so that might not be related after all.

Hi! Okay so he is older than me. I don't know or remember the isu cases you refer to? Care to elaborate? Your dad's family has a similar makeup than mine but only the youngest three grew up in Pocatello. We lived off east Alameda. It's great to have someone familiar with the area.

your valet a dry cleaners if I recall correctly?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarlaJCarl
Back