GUILTY IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime, Jan 2019 #6 *GUILTY*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I originally thought she was somewhat respecting his privacy but based on your comment I will rewatch the interview over the weekend.

JS really lays it out. And the artful tears. "This experience has forever changed me", "people need to know the 'truth".". He tries to "walk back" that he accused white people of attacking him, because the Osundairo brothers had been picked up at this time.

JS really lays it out. And the artful tears. "This experience has forever changed me", "people need to know the 'truth".". He tries to "walk back" that he accused white people of attacking him, because the Osundairo brothers had been picked up at this time.

His statement at the beginning. “If I tell the truth then that’s it cause it the truth.” Unreal. Roberts did a great job in that interview.

Jussie Smollett juror: Split decision was ‘favor’ to actor after debate over final count

Interesting POV from the jurors. Especially the point that seeing JS mother sitting front and center every day of the trial really weighed on the jurors. They didn't want to cause her pain.

The one thing, is that they felt if Frank Gleeson had provided testimony to support JS, it would have helped him. He had no one to support his story. The Osundairo brothers testimony were supported by Chicago detectives.

After Jussie Smollett verdict, more court cases await

While the charges carry a possible sentence of three years in prison, legal experts have said Smollett is unlikely to get prison time for the low-level felonies, and is more likely to be sentenced to probation and ordered to perform community service. Judge James Linn didn’t set a sentencing date, but scheduled a Jan. 27 hearing for post-trial motions and said he would schedule sentencing after that.

The Osundairo brothers, who were star witnesses for the prosecution at Smollett's trial, filed their own lawsuit in April 2019 accusing Smollett's attorneys of defamation and seeking unspecified financial damages.

Meanwhile, lawsuits that were on hold pending the outcome of the criminal case may now move forward. They include a lawsuit the city of Chicago filed against Smollett to recoup over $130,000 it spent investigating what police initially believed was a terrible hate crime.

The Osundairo brothers, who were star witnesses for the prosecution at Smollett's trial, filed their own lawsuit in April 2019 accusing Smollett's attorneys of defamation and seeking unspecified financial damages.

upload_2021-12-11_16-10-30.pngupload_2021-12-11_16-10-44.pngupload_2021-12-11_16-11-1.pngupload_2021-12-11_16-11-21.png

Closing arguments set in actor Jussie Smollett's trial
Smollett back on stand after calling hoax claim '100% false'

I don't recall. But I don't think he is going to run. He is firmly entrenched in his family unit right now. I think he is very dependent upon them emotionally and probably financially.

AND WHAT ABOUT HIS APPEAL? :rolleyes:

Also, if he ever hopes to go back to any kind of entertainment career, he can't leave NY/LA/Chicago and run to another country.

His lawyers are probably assuring him he is not going to do any jail time. He doesn't have any prior convictions and they are pretty low level charges, based around one incident.

I am almost positive he gets a suspended sentence and probation.
Actually he does have a prior arrest for lying to the police. He was arrested in California for DUI and no license and he lied and said he was his brother. He pled no contest which is the same as guilty. So he has a history of lying to the police. Actor Jussie Smollett faces a felony charge for allegedly filing a false police report | CNN

Last edited:
Actually he does have a prior arrest for lying to the police. He was arrested in California and he lied and said he was his brother. He pled no contest which is the same as guilty. So he has a history of lying to the police.

Yes, completely forgot about that. It may have been "off limits" for the trial, but possibly admissible for sentencing? Basically same issue, lying to police.

'Empire' Actor Jussie Smollett Pleaded Guilty to DUI, Providing False Information to Law Enforcement in 2007

Actually he does have a prior arrest for lying to the police. He was arrested in California for DUI and no license and he lied and said he was his brother. He pled no contest which is the same as guilty. So he has a history of lying to the police. Actor Jussie Smollett faces a felony charge for allegedly filing a false police report | CNN
This shows that he wouldn't hesitate to lie and throw someone under the bus, even his own younger brother. How chickens*** can you be? Jussie is all about Jussie. Hope the Osundairo brothers sue him to the max.

Yes, completely forgot about that. It may have been "off limits" for the trial, but possibly admissible for sentencing? Basically same issue, lying to police.

'Empire' Actor Jussie Smollett Pleaded Guilty to DUI, Providing False Information to Law Enforcement in 2007
I was checking the sentencing date and the article included that the judge will include his prior criminal records in the US. Hopefully they won't pretend this is a first offense. Personally I think he would have put the brothers under the jail if it meant he walked on this charge. I find Smollett to be repulsively self centered and narcissistic.

Meh, they took Martha Stewart back. I bet he acts again.

ETA: I know she's not an actor and her case was different. But I bet some B-rated network will put him on. Maybe Hallmark Channel should start an all criminal/convict cast for a Christmas movie. Jussie, Lori Laughlin, Felicity Huffman, throw in the killer Alec Baldwin and you have a movie!
I can see him in a skit on Saturday Night Live.

was he not ‘impersonating’ his brother when he lied??

that’s an even bigger crime.

hope they take it all into account and put him away.

Defamation Suit vs. Smollett's Pre-Trial Attys?
April 23, 2019, the Osundairo brothers filed defamation complaint in fed ct. in IL. vs two atty's, Tina Glandian & Mark Geragos, repping JS, both individually & vs law firm.
Iirc, neither of these two atty's participated in repping JS at trial. I haven't searched status, but afaik it's still pending. Anyone know? TiA

If the O. brothers decide to file against the atty's repping JS at trial, that's ;) another can o' worms (or another tuna sandwich?:D).
The trial atty's may have a different defense re their stmts made in court, a defense not available to the atty's named below. my2ct

"Common Law Defamation Per Se"
"Statements Accusing Plaintiffs of Committing a Hate Crime, Perjury, and Conspiring to Make False Statements to Chicago Police."
"Statements Harming Plaintiffs in their Profession and Implying a Lack of Integrity in Plaintiffs’ Professional Duties."
"Statements Falsely Accusing Plaintiff of Engaging in Fornication with Mr. Smollett."

Also "Common Law False Light."
Complaint also alleges
Defendant Mark Geragos appeared on & made defamatory stmts on same podcast.
"Common Law Defamation Per Se" & "Common Law False Light."

*https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/b88e90_c502778d071a4b32b348287106847c3c.pdf
^ is linked in April 23, 2019 story, Brothers sue Jussie Smollett's lawyers, claiming defamation | AP News

Last edited:
Just chiming in as someone who has not been following this to closely. Jussie should get some jail time, just like the brothers would have if they were found guilty. The judge should be thinking, put Jussie down. Let it be a short sentence but just enough to let Jussie reflect.

Jussie Smollett is in 'matrix of arrogance' before sentencing: experts

This article is smack on! And an excellent analysis of "Modern Day Narcissists". Interesting, the psychologist points out that what JS really needed was someone in his life to point out that he was being an idiot, rather than continue to support his idiot claims. Excellent point.

I hope that the judge takes into account the hours of testimony, and the arrogance of JS already filing his appeal.

My real question, is that if this is all true, in the beginning, why did he take the first deal offered by Kim Foxx? At that point, he should have dug in his heels, and declined her offer.

The five counts he was convicted of were about statements he made to the police on Jan 29, immediately after the incident. The count he was acquitted of was about statements he made to the police on Feb 14. On Feb 14 the police detained the Osundairo brothers and raided their apartment. Feb. 14, 2019: Brothers' Home Raided In Connection With Jussie Smollett's Alleged Hoax. That same day JM again talked to the police.

The disorderly conduct statute prohibits false 911 calls and false reports. 720 ILCS 5/ Criminal Code of 2012.. It may be that the jury found that his Feb 14 statements did not qualify as a "report" -- perhaps the police called him in that day for a followup interview, so they did not see that as JM making a false "report"? In that sense the verdicts would not be inconsistent.
JMO.

Responding to my own post -- in the Daily Mail article below a juror explains why they didn't convict on the the sixth count. It seems it was because the sixth felony count charged him with reporting that he'd been a victim of an "aggravated battery" (whereas the other counts charged him with reporting that he'd been a victim of a hate crime or a battery.
EXPLAINER: What charges does Jussie Smollett face at trial?).

Here is the Daily Mail excerpt:

"The decision on that sixth count was the one that the jury struggled with, she said.

On February 14, the count alleged, the actor lied to police in an interview when he reported that he was the victim of an aggravated battery. The other five counts stemmed from his false reports to police in the hours after the attack.

The jury, she said, was confused about the last charge and why it was different than the others.

We were told it was an aggravated battery because he said they were wearing a mask,' the juror said.

But 'in all [of Smollett’s] accounts of what happened, he mentioned a mask.'

If prosecutors had charged each of the counts 'the same,' she said, she thinks 'we would have found him guilty on all six.' "​

Jussie Smollett juror says they were convinced he lied about hate crime after he gave poor testimony | Daily Mail Online

@mickey2942 bbm Thanks for your post which prompted me to think about whether his acting was the prob.

For a hate crime hoax to succeed, he needed better scriptwriters, so -
- not in that Chicago neighborhood,
- not attackers w very dark skin,
- not in subzero temp,
- no tuna sandwich surviving the trip to apt.
- injuries besides superficial face scratch, etc.

W a plausible script & JS's acting skills, who knows what would have happened? my2ct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member