Found Deceased IL - Andrew Freund, 5, Crystal Lake, 17 April 2019 *Arrests* - #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ita
And, fwiw, as my previous post reads, I think 3-5 years before JC begins the court process, unless she pleads.
This is not a case of simply sobering up or drying out.
We don’t know 100% the drugs she used @ time AJ went missing. With the popularity of fentanyl, I wonder if she might have gotten mixed up with it. The trick of the trade for a dealer is to get their client addicted, raising the price each week. In my neck of the woods, heroin was being laced with Fentanyl, we even had news alerts for specific jurisdictions., advising to not use heroin if purchased in ______ on or around _______.

No, I don’t hope. As you said, media will move on. How many more kids will die before JC goes to trial? Hundreds., imo.

The media hasn't moved on about the death of Samaj Crosby--DCFS was at her house hours before her death and did nothing-- and two years later there still is no arrest.
I doubt they quickly move past AJ's horrific and totally preventable death.

Illinois has some of the most expensive property taxes in the U.S. and residents are outraged at the failure of these agencies to protect children.

Waiting for Justice: New details in the Semaj Crosby murder case

After going back thru msm reports, I guess the cold shower was prior to AJ’s fatal beating.
....so frustrating for msm to have different versions, but expected, I guess.

Anger over 5-year-old AJ's death fuels interest in foster parenting
5-1-19

The tragic story of Andrew "AJ" Freund -- the Crystal Lake 5-year-old who authorities say was abused and killed by his parents -- is inspiring more people to look into becoming foster parents to children from troubled homes, child welfare advocates say.

"It sparked from a lot of anger and fear. ... People want something to do. People need some way to help," said Emily Kunash, president of Moms of McHenry County,whose roughly 300 members have been seeking avenues to help in the wake of AJ's death.

The group now is focused on forging relationships with local nonprofit organizations that serve foster children.

Hundreds of people are registered for two informational sessions on adoption and foster care Saturday in Libertyville and Tuesday in Woodstock.

"The silver lining is people are stepping up," said Susan McConnell, executive director and founder of Let It Be Us,a Barrington-based group organizing both events. "Our attendance numbers are doubled right now."

The group recruits foster and adoptive parents through fairs mostly in Cook, Kane, Lake and McHenry counties.

AJ's body was found April 24 in a shallow grave near Woodstock seven days after his parents reported him missing. Parents JoAnn Cunningham, 36, and Andrew Freund Sr., 60, face first-degree murder and other charges.

The child died after being hit multiple times on the head, the McHenry County coroner's office reported. His younger brother, age 4, is in state custody.

Details of AJ's challenging life have raised concerns about the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services' handling of his case and shined a light on Illinois' foster care system.

~snip

More at link:

Anger over 5-year-old AJ's death fuels interest in foster parenting

Great more people are interested in fostering.
AJ had people willing to foster him. But the deadly duo preferred him dead.

If JC did work outside the home a couple years ago, did they have a sitter?

Also, it appears things really went haywire about the time the foster family got banned from the picture. If my math is right, appx 18 months ago they were cut from AJ’s life, JC stopped working appx 24 months ago. Signs she was in a downward spiral?

If AJ still wore pull-ups, I hope her rage wasn’t partly over potty accidents.

Another thing I’m curious about, back in 2018 when they skipped out on hotel bill. Did they frequently get a hotel for nefarious purposes? We have one locally that is known to be a not so nice place, I think most towns to be the same, having at least one. Jmo. As far as skipping out on tab, I did not know one could pay at checkout, we have always used CC at check in.

Just want to share.... At one point in another AF thread, someone pondered if it would be better for her unborn child if it didn't live.

I get that. I truly do. Because all you can imagine is possible issues from drug use during pregnancy, being born to murderers, etc etc.

But please remember this isn't new and many people have beeb born addicted to opiates. It's horrific. The risks and problems that come with it are horrible and available for googling. These children are born with these difficulties everyday.

But. We don't know it all as humans. And some of us are born healthy despite our mothers choices and are worthy of being born once we have been created.

My mother was already 10 years into her addiction when getting pregnant with me. No I was not an accident. No my parents did not have me for social financial benefits. They were just dumb 20 year old drug addicts who thought a baby might give them a push to get clean.

My Mother used heroin during her pregnancy with me. I was born addicted. However..... And here's where nature's mystery comes in... I was 10 pounds, quickly overcame medical issues & wd and have 0 learning disabilities now. Now as an adult, successful, do not even socially drink. Although I do have anxiety issues that are obviously from my childhood.

My sister was born years later when my mother was now in her 40s and still and addict. She was born addicted to methadone, under 6 pounds and was in hospital for months. However, as an adult she has no learning disabilities and is successful. (happy, no using, six figure income etc) She also has anxiety issues.

My mother was one of the worst addicts I've seen. Abcesses at injection sites so large she'd use cocaine in them to numb the pain. Beaten beyond recognition multiple times. On life support after using heroin with some sort of poison. Homeless. Hepatitis C. 40+ rehab visits. It went on and on, with this stuff being what I'm willing to write. These families have a hard life.

But.... Me, my sister, and my Mother after a lifelong addiction.... All alive. My Mother is well known now in southern California for her work with addicts. She has women's groups, and works at an inpatient group home for teenagers. Has been clean 21 years. She's helped thousands. Not all drug addicts are throw aways. Not all drug addicts kids need pity. As a child I heard what people said about my parents. I knew the world looked at them like trash. But they weren't and one has been able to spare a lot of families pain by helping their addicted children.

This is a personal story in relation to what life jc baby may or may have. Not a story showing I think jc has redemption available. She's a torturous murderer. Drug addict is one label. Murderer a more important and distinctive one imho
And I'm one of the lucky ones. But the possibilities are there for these kids!

It's all about choices. No matter what life has throw at you.

I’m sorry if I’ve missed this elsewhere in the threads but I’ve been wondering where the birth of P falls on the timeline and if that influenced DCFS decision to return A.J.

Fundraiser is at $55,676. :)

Hopefully a local funeral home steps up, providing AJ with a wonderful service at no cost to his family. I can’t fathom a funeral home wishing to profit from AJ’s death. Jmo

Little P probably needs an abundance of things like clothes, toys & books. I highly doubt anyone wants any items from the ‘hell hole on Dole’. Moo

We only know P is 4, afaik. Iirc it was said she got pregnant with P during the time AJ was in foster.

Last edited:
Waiting for Justice: New details in the Semaj Crosby murder case
This is the first case of the 100 Death report released by the SAG and DCPS. I have copied the investigation findings below per AG and DCPS.

This is just sick!!! Illinois AG and DCPS knew that had a major problem BEFORE AJ was MURDERED!!!!

DEATH AND SERIOUS INJURY INVESTIGATION 1

A 17-month-old toddler was reported missing to police, prompting a massive search.

Thirty hours later the toddler was discovered deceased, under a couch, inside her family home. There was an open intact family services case and a pending child protection investigation at the time of the child’s death.

In September 2016, an intact family services case was opened for the mother of the deceased and her four children following two unfounded child protection investigations for inadequate supervision.

Services identified at case opening for the mother included: Norman funds for beds and bedding, parenting classes, and assistance with addressing her ten-year-old son’s possible hearing impairment. Mother was reported to receive SSI for cognitive delays; her sister was reported to receive the money monthly as the “overseer of the account.” Concerns were expressed about cognitive delays/learning disabilities and mother’s ability to ensure her children’s physical and mental health needs were adequately addressed. The intact family services case remained open at the time of the toddler’s death in April 2017 due to continued hotline reports while the case was open.

Between September 2016 and April 2017, there were numerous child protection investigations involving the mother and her children, as well as investigationsinvolving other individuals reported to be living in the home.
Three of those investigations were initiated due to reported safety issues for the seven-year-old sibling with significant behavioral health concerns.

The intact worker made regular announced and unannounced visits to the home, visiting at least once a week between September and December 2016; and biweekly in 2017 after a critical decision was made by the worker and supervisor to reduce the frequency of the required home visits. The worker successfully obtained Norman funds to purchase beds and bedding for the family. Concerns about the physical conditions of the home, particularly the soiled carpet, persisted throughout the life of the case and were well documented by the intact worker. Mother and the intact worker discussed having the carpet steam cleaned. While home cleanliness was often noted as an area of concern, it was not assessed during the intact case to have risen to a level of beingdanger to the children’s health or safety. Neither the intact worker nor investigators observed the home to be in the “deplorable” condition described by law enforcement at the time of the child’s death.

The home was noted to be frequented by individuals and other family members, some living in the home with their children on and off, during the course of service provision. The caseworker documented her concern that the mother was being taken advantage of by those individuals who refused to help with household bills or transportation, and that she was jeopardizing her Section 8 housing because she had unauthorized people living there.

Multiple child protection investigations involving the family and others living in the home occurred between the time of the opening of the intact family services case and the child’s death. Many of these investigations were not linked together in the State Automated Child Welfare Information System (SACWIS)and did not include all household members living in the home.

The mother did not complete parenting services, though she was referred twice. The mother initially started sessions with a parenting coach through the private agency servicing the case. The sessions were to occur weekly in the evening at the agency. Mother attended very few sessions and the service was discontinued due to transportation, babysitting and scheduling issues in January 2017. The caseworker then referred the mother for in home counseling through an outside provider to begin the month of the child’s death.

The deceased toddler’s seven-year-old sibling had a history of behavioral problems and attended an alternative school. Within the first two months of the intact family service case opening, the sibling was psychiatrically hospitalized for suicidal ideations and statements, and was hospitalized twice more during the intact family services case. His second hospitalization occurred after the child said he wantedto kill himself with a knife while he was on the school bus headed to school. Screening, Assessment and Support Services (SASS) came to the school and in the screening noted that the mother told school personnel that due to insurance issues the child had not had his psychotropic medication.

SASS authorized hospitalization and had an ambulance waiting at school, but the father, who arrived later, refused hospitalization and took the child home. DCFS was contacted and a child protection investigation was opened for medical neglect.

Mother was instructed to take the child to the hospital for an evaluation. The child was subsequently admitted. Mother and father reported to the investigator that the medical card had expired; that they had no transportation; and that their finances were too low to refill the prescription.

The child’s third hospitalization occurred six days prior to his sister’s death. The boy had been showing increasingly aggressive, impulsive, and hyperactive behavior at school and was threatening to stab himself. The child reported that his mother had not refilled his prescription for psychotropic medication, which led to changes in his behavior at school. There was no communication between the hospital and the intact worker, and the worker did not attend any discharge staffings.

Despite knowing from the onset of the intact family services case that mother received SSI for a non-physical disability, no formal assessment was conducted to determine the extent of her limitations; how they impacted her ability to ensure her children’s safety; and to determine and recommend services that would meet her specific needs.

The intact family services worker visited the home the day before the toddler was reported missing, and a child protection investigator had been to the home the day the toddler was reported missing. The home was reported to have dirty furniture, walls, carpeting, and clothing on bedroom and bathroom floors; however, no immediate safety concerns were noted. There were four adults present at the time the toddler was reported missing.

Law enforcement reported finding the home in deplorable condition, and the health department deemed the home inhabitable. The home later burned to the ground; arson is suspected.

The Department initiated a death by neglect investigation against the toddler’s mother and two other adults present in the home at the time the toddler went missing. These investigations are pending. A criminal investigation is also pending. The toddler’s autopsy report has not been released because the criminalinvestigation is pending. The one and eight-year-old siblings were placed in foster care and a 10-year-old sibling was placed with his biological father.

Last edited:
Just want to share.... At one point in another AF thread, someone pondered if it would be better for her unborn child if it didn't live.

I get that. I truly do. Because all you can imagine is possible issues from drug use during pregnancy, being born to murderers, etc etc.

But please remember this isn't new and many people have beeb born addicted to opiates. It's horrific. The risks and problems that come with it are horrible and available for googling. These children are born with these difficulties everyday.

But. We don't know it all as humans. And some of us are born healthy despite our mothers choices and are worthy of being born once we have been created.

My mother was already 10 years into her addiction when getting pregnant with me. No I was not an accident. No my parents did not have me for social financial benefits. They were just dumb 20 year old drug addicts who thought a baby might give them a push to get clean.

My Mother used heroin during her pregnancy with me. I was born addicted. However..... And here's where nature's mystery comes in... I was 10 pounds, quickly overcame medical issues & wd and have 0 learning disabilities now. Now as an adult, successful, do not even socially drink. Although I do have anxiety issues that are obviously from my childhood.

My sister was born years later when my mother was now in her 40s and still and addict. She was born addicted to methadone, under 6 pounds and was in hospital for months. However, as an adult she has no learning disabilities and is successful. (happy, no using, six figure income etc) She also has anxiety issues.

My mother was one of the worst addicts I've seen. Abcesses at injection sites so large she'd use cocaine in them to numb the pain. Beaten beyond recognition multiple times. On life support after using heroin with some sort of poison. Homeless. Hepatitis C. 40+ rehab visits. It went on and on, with this stuff being what I'm willing to write. These families have a hard life.

But.... Me, my sister, and my Mother after a lifelong addiction.... All alive. My Mother is well known now in southern California for her work with addicts. She has women's groups, and works at an inpatient group home for teenagers. Has been clean 21 years. She's helped thousands. Not all drug addicts are throw aways. Not all drug addicts kids need pity. As a child I heard what people said about my parents. I knew the world looked at them like trash. But they weren't and one has been able to spare a lot of families pain by helping their addicted children.

This is a personal story in relation to what life jc baby may or may have. Not a story showing I think jc has redemption available. She's a torturous murderer. Drug addict is one label. Murderer a more important and distinctive one imho
And I'm one of the lucky ones. But the possibilities are there for these kids!

It's all about choices. No matter what life has throw at you.

Thank you for sharing your story!!! This is truly a miracle!!!

Thank you and your family for working to change the system and help others !!!!

I want to add... Maybe less so now but back then you had large groups of addicts that did not use their children for social benefits. Why? Because then you've invited the state in.

Much easier to make money, and far more money, using prostitution and/or theft. I didn't attend school until 4th grade, the system was never involved in my life.

By time my sister was born years later, things had changed a bit and the system was involved. But because my mother was on a methadone program during this time, she got benefits and my sister was with her. The benefits were nothing, a day of drug use, so they'd sit with my sister outside stores and get a lot of money begging.

Some of these addicts stay out of the system. Although more rare nowadays, the thought of the struggles those kids have is horrible to me.

Im happy to read that as a result of this case and perhaps other recent cases, so many Illinois residents are making attempts to do something in an effort to help curb an enormous problem. It's refreshing to read. :)

DCPS knew they had a MAJOR problem and has previously received media coverage and bad PR for previous deaths.

The LAWMAKERS and State Attorney General did nothing. They just wait for the press to die down and keep on doing the same thing.

They did a 100 death investigation report that I cannot even read without getting sick!!!!

He!! NO they ain't doing nothing. Talking heads and blaming each other.

JMO, until the talking heads and top brass are facing prosecution and financial ruin, we will not see change.

One of the articles said P was born in December 2014. I will see if I can find it.

I thought December but can’t find link. The following summer AJ was returned, JC had completed parenting & drug classes, blah blah.
So the article I’m thinking of mentions her court ordered classes, I think she took during pregnancy with P. Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garc