Found Deceased IL - Andrew Freund, 5, Crystal Lake, 17 April 2019 *Arrests* - #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
CHICAGO (WLS) -- The ABC7 I-Team has obtained the original missing person report in the case of 5-year-old Crystal Lake boy AJ Freund.

The narrative written by police notes that AJ's father, Andrew Freund Sr., was "very calm throughout my interaction with him, not showing much emotion when speaking about his missing child."

READ: AJ Freund missing person report

Andrew said he searched the home for AJ for over an hour before notifying Crystal Lake police. Andrew told police he went to AJ's elementary school to see if he had walked there on his own, but found no sign of his son.

(From @Thora_Jay link, post #540
SABBM

What elementary school? Did this father of the year not know his son didn’t attend school yet?SMDH

It almost seems like Drew tried to avoid being associated with his family. The one pic of the 4, only Drew’s leg was visible (iirc), he had no pics on his phone, if he did have AJ at his office he kept him concealed. Very strange behavior for a father.
Of course all behavior on Dole was strange.
@osu have you found any photos of Drew with AJ? Tia

This is the only one I’ve seen.

Attachments

• E91AE3C6-B956-4048-AC16-74CF4A72A02A.jpeg
    E91AE3C6-B956-4048-AC16-74CF4A72A02A.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 82
SABBM

What elementary school? Did this father of the year not know his son didn’t attend school yet?SMDH

IIRC, I think it was said in an article early on that he went there looking around the playground saying he thought perhaps AJ would’ve went there.
He went inside the school and talked to the assistant principle asking if he’d seen AJ around the school yard?

Someone local commented under the news article that they saw him at the school that morning as their child goes to that same school. She said he was dressed in a suit and she didn’t recognize him as one of the familiar faces there. She said at the time, by the way he was dressed she just thought he was dropping his child off and on his way to work.

JMO

Last edited:
This is the only one I’ve seen.
Oh goodness! Dad in the back!!! This is the stuff nightmares are made of!

Of note, she is leaning in to AJ which shows affection. AJ looks somehat happy but is learning slightly away from his mom. Mistrust, maybe?

It's an interesting picture in hindsight. Although, even if I didn't know what I know, I'd still say creepy man in the back.

Of note, she is leaning in to AJ which shows affection. AJ looks somehat happy but is learning slightly away from his mom. Mistrust, maybe?

It's an interesting picture in hindsight. Although, even if I didn't know what I know, I'd still say creepy man in the back.

This photo was posted along with another picture. It was identified (by a friend of hers) as the Woodstock Hospital ER. I wondered if this was when AJ told the doctor, “maybe my mom didn't mean to hurt me?”

JC certainly wanted to document that the whole family made a trip to the ER though with posting the two photos on her Facebook page.

JMO

ETA: The other pic is the one JC used when she posted about AJ being missing. The two photos were taken at the same time though.

Attachments

• B5417B43-8F27-44C5-ACCE-55944E6F59EE.jpeg
    B5417B43-8F27-44C5-ACCE-55944E6F59EE.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 70
  • E0085871-24EA-4F2C-A943-5366F81FC5D2.jpeg
    E0085871-24EA-4F2C-A943-5366F81FC5D2.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

I agree. I noticed that too. She must have been on a good high. She isn't just leaning into him, she's leaning on him. As sick and awful as these barbaric monsters are, I am sure there were times she hugged him and I don't know if I feel better or worse about that.

I don't recall the name of the school but it’s an elementary school not too far from the house on Dole.

JMO

Yes, AJ was looking forward to school, per tribute. Of course, he was Looking forward to being out of that hell hole. Should he have already been in K?
In my district, a child must be toilet trained before starting.

"Last week, Cunningham's family said she stopped communicating with them a couple years ago. They said they had gained custody of her older son by another father six years ago, and recently were trying to get her to move out with AJ and his younger brother".

In my own opinion...if I was a relative of either of the two "parents"...and I had any kind of inkling of the abuse and BS that was going on in that house; the communication would have only stopped because I had gone to the house "guns a blazing" as they say; swooped those kids up and taken them out of there. I just don't understand how grandparents, aunts, uncles, friends, etc. could possibly "stand by" without taking full force (hand to hand combat if necessary) action to rescue them. My own kids better only hope that my husband and I NEVER think they are abusing my grandkids; it wouldn't end well for my kids. My grands would be out of there faster than you can say " off!". IMO

One thing (among many) that I hate about these kinds of cases is that clearly the parents can’t care for their children. And IMO based on the abuse/neglect they aren’t interested in caring for them either.

But let someone - relative, DCFS, whoever, - attempt to take them the parents turn into truculent 3 year olds. “No! You can’t have them they’re MINE MINE MINE!!”

Selfish, self-centered, nasty people!

They may have been doing more. We just don't know about it....yet. It must have been so hard on the family to suspect abuse and feeling as if their hands were tied. It is interesting that they wanted her to move out of there. Was it because of Sr.'s abuse towards her, the kids, or a combination?

"Last week, Cunningham's family said she stopped communicating with them a couple years ago. They said they had gained custody of her older son by another father six years ago, and recently were trying to get her to move out with AJ and his younger brother".

In my own opinion...if I was a relative of either of the two "parents"...and I had any kind of inkling of the abuse and BS that was going on in that house; the communication would have only stopped because I had gone to the house "guns a blazing" as they say; swooped those kids up and taken them out of there. I just don't understand how grandparents, aunts, uncles, friends, etc. could possibly "stand by" without taking full force (hand to hand combat if necessary) action to rescue them. My own kids better only hope that my husband and I NEVER think they are abusing my grandkids; it wouldn't end well for my kids. My grands would be out of there faster than you can say "**** off!". IMO

When she went silent with friends & family, that was a very bad sign.
Like you, I would have to get the kids out.
This was destined to happen. Abuse was only going to become more frequent & more violent. They do not just stop.

FYI: Hln put a full screen of AJ haircut photo up, any of you that did not notice his distorted head, get in front of your TV during the next segment. It is so obvious his head shape is completely different than other pics of him.
Haircut was one week after the brutal March beating.
He must have been so very ill, yet forced to comply with
Mommie dearest. I’m not a doctor but I wonder if his motor skills/internal organs/hearing/vision ever recovered from that beating or if he died a bit each day.
I still think the cold shower was a revival attempt, not punishment.

There was water at the time. Obvious since AJ was put in a shower for a long period of time prior to his horrific death
Plus AJ being forced to do dishes.
Depending on where you live hydro could mean electricity when I lived in Ontario, CA electricity was hydraulically powered and you’d pay your ‘hydro’ bill

Since beating AJ served no purpose, I truly think they got “high” from it & with Drew using the term “corporal punishment”, I wonder what his childhood was like.

It sounds like AJ was a precocious little boy, bright, curious, ambitious, eager to learn. I can only think the duo found him most annoying & a huge interference to their high state & during periods of WD even more so.

When she went silent with friends & family, that was a very bad sign.
Like you, I would have to get the kids out.
This was destined to happen. Abuse was only going to become more frequent & more violent. They do not just stop.

FYI: Hln put a full screen of AJ haircut photo up, any of you that did not notice his distorted head, get in front of your TV during the next segment. It is so obvious his head shape is completely different than other pics of him.
Haircut was one week after the brutal March beating.
He must have been so very ill, yet forced to comply with
Mommie dearest. I’m not a doctor but I wonder if his motor skills/internal organs/hearing/vision ever recovered from that beating or if he died a bit each day.
I still think the cold shower was a revival attempt, not punishment.
First time posting here, and even though I have followed a few other cases, AJ's case is different. I agree the shower was a revival attempt, not a punishment. I do think this was related to the odd timing of the CPR search at 3:17am...panic. AJ, I'm so sorry and so sad--I need to find a way to help.
I know there are no should have's, would have's or could have's in life...I can't help but wonder if he could have held on a few more weeks, would he and P be removed once the baby was born w/ opiates? Or, am I just naive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova