IL IL - Chicago Tylenol Murders: 7 people dead from cyanide poisoning, 1982

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Whoever did the Tylenol murder clearly was angry at the world. Most likely an injustice collector. I looked up James Lewis and he does a rap sheet. Not sure if he did it.

I did read the The Daily Mail article and this one caught my attention.

Police have said they believe Lewis acted on revenge against Johnson & Johnson after his five-year-old daughter, Toni, died in 1974. The girl passed away after sutures made by a subsidiary of the company were used to fix her congenital heart defect and they tore.

I am not saying he did it, but I could see why he may have been a suspect. I have also read that Ted Kaczynski, The Unabomber, may have been the one who poisoned the Tylenol.

True, they've never been able to place him anywhere near Chicago around that time.

There was another interesting suspect developed by a Chicago PD detective. It came from a tip from someone who overheard a guy in a bar talking about making cyanide and putting it in the Tylenol.

I don't recall his name, but they found the guy and investigated him. He was a middle aged, low income, single guy who worked on the docks at the warehouse where the poisoned bottles originated. When they searched his home, they found he was an "amateur" chemist and IIRC, he had cyanide. They investigated him closely, but the FBI seemed to think it was Lewis. They didn't have enough on the other guy.
The dock worker at Jewel-Osco is Roger Arnold. He passed away in June 2008. His body was exhumed in 2010 to get DNA. The DNA did not match on the bottles.

Whoever did the Tylenol murder clearly was angry at the world. Most likely an injustice collector. I looked up James Lewis and he does a rap sheet. Not sure if he did it.

I did read the The Daily Mail article and this one caught my attention.

I am not saying he did it, but I could see why he may have been a suspect. I have also read that Ted Kaczynski, The Unabomber, may have been the one who poisoned the Tylenol.

The dock worker at Jewel-Osco is Roger Arnold. He passed away in June 2008. His body was exhumed in 2010 to get DNA. The DNA did not match on the bottles.

Thanks HMS Hood for that update! Roger Arnold seemed like a pretty good suspect back then.

Lewis is also a strong suspect. It was interesting that one of the extortion letters he sent to J&J was written the day before the Tylenol poisonings began.

Thanks HMS Hood for that update! Roger Arnold seemed like a pretty good suspect back then.

Lewis is also a strong suspect. It was interesting that one of the extortion letters he sent to J&J was written the day before the Tylenol poisonings began.
I read about Roger Arnold. He had a lot of resentment issues.

Arnold and Lewis were both good suspects who “fit the profile”. The were intelligent but low achievers and could be described as “mad at the world” but Lewis could not be placed in Chicago at the time and there was really nothing direct that linked Arnold to the crime. There was touch DNA taken from one of the tainted pills from one of the bottles that did not match either. Since Tylenol was bottled through an entirely automated process, there was no reason for anyone involved in the normal production-distribution process to leave any touch DNA on one of the capsules so there is a high probability of that DNA belonging to the perpetrator. It is unclear why Forensic Genealogy hasn’t been attempted. Possibly only a partial profile was obtained. There is a good possibility that the name of the actual perpetrator never came up in the investigation.

Something that I find very interesting about the case is that the stores where the tainted bottles were placed were actually quite a distance apart and in different police jurisdictions. Who ever did it spent a lot of time driving through the Chicago suburbs. It would certainly have been quicker and easier to do all in the same general neighborhood. The only reason I can see for going to that much trouble is because he (or she) didn’t want the deaths to be linked; at least not right away. They probably would not have been linked had not 3 members of one family died. My guess is that whoever did it had a plan that ended when the poisonings were discovered so quickly and all Tylenol was removed from shelves and the investigation began so fast. What this “plan” may have been is anyone’s guess but I’m thinking that someone had a plan to murder someone and have it look like part of a random mass murder.

Law Enforcement is pretty satisfied that all of the named victims were people who died from tainted capsules purchased within 24 hours of being placed on the shelves. None were targeted victims.

Whoever did the Tylenol Murder is likely an injustice collector or grievance collector. The person likely has a lot grievances against society. The person likely does not have a good reputation around other people. Something in that person's life likely would tipped them over. The person decided to take revenge by putting cyanide in Tylenol.

I remember living through this. This is why all pill bottles are sealed now. A very expensive (but necessary) consequence.

Without any specific evidence, I have difficulty thinking a woman did this. It’s a passive-aggressive crime but just hadn’t been done that way before historically. I await evidence.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raindrop413
Back