IL IL - Dermot Kelly, 16, Oglesby, Jan 1972

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Correction: Quote above should say with regard to Dermot's brother and sister's. "They refused to be interviewed for Dan's story."

Satch

PS. Based on further evidence in studying how bitter cold the weather was and Dermot's waking distance in it, (about 1.5 miles each way) I would have to now say there is no way he could have survived if he went into the water. The hypothermia caused him to think he was over-heated, "Going swimming to cool off." The affects of hypothermia were probably evident before Dermot even got to the river on such a cold day. I am now up to the following percents:

75% hypothermia/drowning
20% suicide
5% lived successfully through this.

Sadly, in previous research I had forgotten how cold 7 above really is, and walking with only a T-shirt under a jacket.

I read Dan's article again and what really stuck out to me was the fact it mentioned a few times that Dermot was despondent. He also seemed focused on the world's issues, which he couldn't do much about, especially at the age of 16. I have a feeling he was clinically depressed. Does this mean he committed suicide? I don't know, but I have a hard time with the fact he never resurfaced. He had problems with his dad, but did he have a beef with his siblings or his mother? If he was a insightful, sensitive man, I would think he would have come around and contacted his family by now. If he did runaway and still alive today, I feel he was terribly cruel to put his family through the ordeal of not knowing what happened to him all these years. Unless, he truly didn't think they loved him and that he was a bother. JMO

I read Dan's article again and what really stuck out to me was the fact it mentioned a few times that Dermot was despondent. He also seemed focused on the world's issues, which he couldn't do much about, especially at the age of 16. I have a feeling he was clinically depressed. Does this mean he committed suicide? I don't know, but I have a hard time with the fact he never resurfaced. He had problems with his dad, but did he have a beef with his siblings or his mother? If he was a insightful, sensitive man, I would think he would have come around and contacted his family by now. If he did runaway and still alive today, I feel he was terribly cruel to put his family through the ordeal of not knowing what happened to him all these years. Unless, he truly didn't think they loved him and that he was a bother. JMO
Sent you a link about a dermot kelly I thought was interesting.

All great points.

Tragically, if Dermot died that day due to the weather and/or drowning, or fell in with a bad person or several people, resulting in his death, that would explain why he never contracted anyone. I communicated with Dan, who thinks that if the rifle had a bullet lodged in the casing, that Dermot could have possible committed suicide at the water's edge, maybe removing his clothes to expedite the process.

I believe that the weather would be too fierce an enemy on this day for Dermot to be able to stage this. We know that he had to walk at least 1.5 miles just to get to the river, and would have to get someplace warm with lodgings, water, food, and other necessities pretty fast to avoid hypothermia and death resulting from it.

We also have another hindrance in this case. That is forty-years of the passage of time, where it is necessary to go on second hand sources and memory to find out what really happened here.

The haunts of a suicide hurt me, because we have that sad quote from Dermot, "I intend to make a new life on my own, and do it entirely on my own." Suppose that the weather had been summer-like and 80 degrees out, with summer clothes found at the river, but no trace of him. That could make the possibility of suicide more plausible. However, the weather was so bad that day, that it would have been a situation where ANYBODY (not just Dermot) could have suffered hypothermia in the same situation. Manifest everything going through Dermot's mind and body at the same time that day, with bone-chilling cold at among its worst, a strong tragic fate, may not have been overcomable.

I agree that if Dermot is alive, it has been insensitive of him to never contact anyone as to his whereabouts. This is certainly a contradiction from a young man with a sensitive personality. Let's assume what the Mother's side of the family believes-that Dermot ran away to join the hippie movement and is still out there. Were there thousands of people, who just left home without a trace of what happened to them to follow the hippie movement, and they never, never, again contacted any family members? What about when the phase fizzled out? Dermot would have to have missed those whom he loved, trusted, and confided in? Unless as McSpy said, there was so much awful pain in the family that for Dermot to leave, it had to be forever with no chance of returning.

Maybe Dermot was empathetic to all, except the family, because in his mind their was abuse and trauma in the home. If home was a hell-hole for him, than it could make it more understandable for him, not to contact anyone associated with family. Seeing himself as "The Black Sheep of the Family."

The pain that his disappearance caused to those who care about him, I am sure has been devastating. We aren't even asking him to return to his roots in Ogelsby, or anything close to that as he, if still living, has been through more than most people in a lifetime. Any sign that he is OK, would certainly bring tears of joy to those following his case. Dermot does not even have to reveal specifics, if he does not want to do that. Although we would LOVE to hear about his life adventures after forty years!!! Any writings, notes, personal possessions or clues as to his whereabouts if he is still living. Or, sadly, finding his remains if he is no longer living so that closure can come to this case.

Satch

The other sad element of this case,

Why weren't the Vermillion and Illinois Rivers searched more? I know, they called it off because of the cold and the barge going through, but I still would have jumped all over this with the jacket, boots, and rifle evidence. Painfully, I am pretty sure that Dermot's remains are either at the bottom of the Vermillion or Illinois River, somewhere.

I have looked at Google Maps, and Google Earth for Dermot's House on Street View, but Google does not provide a direct street close up for that road. I wanted to see if I could follow possible path's that Dermot may have taken going from his house to the river. I saw some pictures of the river, but have no exact location as to where the evidence was found. I think Dan said it was where one river feeds into the other, but I could not pinpoint that on an exact location spot.

Someone with better geography skills than me, might be able to provide more specific information. Thanks everyone for your continued interest in this amazing case!

Satch

The other sad element of this case,

Why weren't the Vermillion and Illinois Rivers searched more? I know, they called it off because of the cold and the barge going through, but I still would have jumped all over this with the jacket, boots, and rifle evidence. Painfully, I am pretty sure that Dermot's remains are either at the bottom of the Vermillion or Illinois River, somewhere.

I have looked at Google Maps, and Google Earth for Dermot's House on Street View, but Google does not provide a direct street close up for that road. I wanted to see if I could follow possible path's that Dermot may have taken going from his house to the river. I saw some pictures of the river, but have no exact location as to where the evidence was found. I think Dan said it was where one river feeds into the other, but I could not pinpoint that on an exact location spot.

Someone with better geography skills than me, might be able to provide more specific information. Thanks everyone for your continued interest in this amazing case!

Satch

If you look at the map, follow the narrower Vermillion River up and you will see the bigger Illinois River. I think Dermot was on the sandy bank where both rivers meet. I think someone on this thread somewhere explained the location.

At this point, if Dermot is in the river, his skeletol remains most likely have been scattered. Some may be buried in the mud under the water. There is always the possiblity someone may find a bone though. It could happen miles down the river or close by. A storm, drought, or errosion may reveal it. I wonder if anyone miles down the river have found a bone and there was no connection made, because it was miles away? JMO

If you look at the map, follow the narrower Vermillion River up and you will see the bigger Illinois River. I think Dermot was on the sandy bank where both rivers meet. I think someone on this thread somewhere explained the location.

At this point, if Dermot is in the river, his skeletol remains most likely have been scattered. Some may be buried in the mud under the water. There is always the possiblity someone may find a bone though. It could happen miles down the river or close by. A storm, drought, or errosion may reveal it. I wonder if anyone miles down the river have found a bone and there was no connection made, because it was miles away? JMO

I read somewhere that those rivers date back to historical times, and that there were people who died there from battles or something. Some ritual hunting ground. I don't know the details, but it goes back many generations. There was a post about it, but I can't find it now.

Satch

I wish we had the address of Dermot's parents' house at the time of his disappearance. I'd like to see how close it is in proximity to the river. Never mind, 817 Swift, Oglesby, IL.

I'm really thinking sadly that Dermot committed suicide, and that the storyline about him starting a new life somewhere, was just his way of distancing from the family. Did they ignore him after he said it? Seems like a parent would have said something to further engage their child.

Dermot looks like a sensitive young man, and I'm thinking if his family or father was harsh on him, verbally, he may have sunk into a depression, and been there for sometime. When kids are picked on at home, they go to school where they're picked on more so they have no soft place. With kids there can be something of a pack mentality, and they can easily spot the kids they can bully. I'm just surmising here. I know some men give their sons what for, especially if they think they need to toughen a boy up for what life throws at him. In many cases, it's done with good intentions, but often without thought of how a child might react. Often kids live with the sense they're not good enough. Stuff like that can really harm the kid who is more sensitive, and therefore less resilient.

That address may not be right though! Dan's article said that Dermot's house was on "Point Lookout." I just did a search for his father's name at Switchboard.com and the city "Ogelsby" and it is a different address, but it is on Point Lookout. So we may have to re-do our Map Searches and routes!

Satch

That address may not be right though! Dan's article said that Dermot's house was on "Point Lookout." I just did a search for his father's name at Switchboard.com and the city "Ogelsby" and it is a different address, but it is on Point Lookout. So we may have to re-do our Map Searches and routes!

Satch

Here is the Map View of the street:

2 Point Lookout St, Oglesby, IL 61348

Swift Avenue is about a street and a half over. The closet Street View that you can get in this area is West Walnut Street. Shoot! I may have cropped it a bit too small, but West Walnut Street is South from Point Lookout. (You can't see West Walnut Street on the map I provided.) When I street viewed West Walnut Street on the allowed road, I just got two funny looking trees, a lot of open terrain, and a big house, large enough to be a business I would suspect in the distance.

JPeg File attached:

Satch

Attachments

• Dermot's Street.JPG
    Dermot's Street.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 21
I found Dermot's Mother's obituary online:

http://missoulian.com/news/local/obituaries/article_cbe6c62e-3d1b-11e0-9676-001cc4c03286.html

Really sad because it talks about previous deaths in the family. What courage, love and compassion to list Dermot as a "survivor!" I can certainly see why she would never want to accept the possibility of Dermot passed away.

With Dermot's love of music and emotional sensitivity, I think he inherited that from his Mother. I think there was such a gentleness of peace and love within Dermot. Maybe she was the only person in the family who understood him.

Satch

I found Dermot's Mother's obituary online:

http://missoulian.com/news/local/obituaries/article_cbe6c62e-3d1b-11e0-9676-001cc4c03286.html

Really sad because it talks about previous deaths in the family. What courage, love and compassion to list Dermot as a "survivor!" I can certainly see why she would never want to accept the possibility of Dermot passed away.

With Dermot's love of music and emotional sensitivity, I think he inherited that from his Mother. I think there was such a gentleness of peace and love within Dermot. Maybe she was the only person in the family who understood him.

Satch

Somewhere, I can't remember the link, I saw his father's obituary and it listed him as preceding him in death. I think his dad died first. Maybe his son was "dead to him" for the choices made and once the father passed away the mother was able to renew the search. :-( Especially, if something occurred where they all knew Dermot must "leave". I still wonder if certain john does should be checked to see if it may be Dermot. Stranger things have happened.

Somewhere, I can't remember the link, I saw his father's obituary and it listed him as preceding him in death. I think his dad died first. Maybe his son was "dead to him" for the choices made and once the father passed away the mother was able to renew the search. :-( Especially, if something occurred where they all knew Dermot must "leave". I still wonder if certain john does should be checked to see if it may be Dermot. Stranger things have happened.

Hi Lucy,

I e-mailed Dan who gave us all the information about Dermot that was new to us. That statement was in the first copy of his story. He thought it confused people and changed it to say, "In his father's obit, Dermot was not mentioned."

However, as you mentioned, given the emotional discord and tension between father and "the boy" , it is very possible that Dermot was "dead" to Dad.

I asked Dan why would Mr. Kelly search for Dermot for 20 years if he was "dead to him." And Dan said something very interesting, 'How do we know that he did?" Remember, that information came from the story two years later, AFTER Dermot left. the words from that December 1974 article that Dan and I also agree on, came from the parents point of view. Given what I have learned about the family and Dermot's constant belief systems and views going against theirs. Dad would want to be the spokesperson and would not want to say anything to the pubic or press that would put the family in a negative light. This was done for some very important reasons, at least from the family's eyes:

1.) Elimination of the possibility of death so that the media and press would not attribute Dermot leaving to bad parenting or family tension. The family made Dermot's leaving as a totally conscience effort that he decided.

2.) Looking for Dermot IMO as far as Mr. Kelly was concerned wasn't done for love. I think it was done out of duty and responsibility, a commitment to the family, where I sense Mr. Kelly would be the authoritarian parent who would leave no questions unanswered. It was a matter of commitment and duty, with his strong military background, guiding him for information as to what happened to Dermot. Keven Kelly examined his son's disappearance from a practical and commitment standpoint. But I don't think Kevin was loving, warm, and fuzzy. I think if Dermot read or heard his father's statement something like, "We just want to know that Dermot is OK, and whatever lifestyle he chooses we will accept that."

Dermot might of thought "BS! you always tried to change my way of thinking to your way. And it always had to be your way. I lived under your rules for almost 17 years, and your just saying this stuff to cover your *advertiser censored*!"

I think Kevin looked for his son, but it wasn't like this long intense journey of loving concern that was told to the reporter. I think the Kelly's may have traveled often, so from time to time Kevin would investigate and look for clues to find out what happened to Dermot. Looking for evidence in an investigative detective style sort of way, just like an attorney, who he was, would do. However, emotional tales of anguish, warm and fuzzy, crying from the father, I doubt that. Maybe in private he may have done so, but he is not going to be the type of person who is going to admit to the general public that he did something wrong as a parent.

3.) I think Dermot's Mother Asta was very committed to family and very emotional. Research that I have done shows that she and Kevin married in 1944 and they had an infant daughter who died in 1946. I think that Dermot's disappearance was so emotionally painful to her, that she could not bare the thought of that river evidence being found out by the other children. And who could blame her? That's the kind of tragic things that could give Dermot's siblings nightmares from which they could not recover. I wonder how much they know about Dermot's boots, jacket, and rifle found at the river, even now?

4.) Treating Dermot as a missing person was probably the best way the Kelly's could deal with this tragedy without traumatizing the other children. It was a way for them to channel something horrible, into a positive productive experience by believing that Dermot left to join the hippie movement, or at the very least, to find the independent, free-spirited, empathetic world of peace and love that was difficult to achieve at home because of family conflicts. The last thing in the world this turmoiled family needed, was even the very mention of the possibility, at least to the public, that Dermot died.

Satch

Thanks for all the research, Satch!

I was unaware that they had lost an infant daughter. Perhaps, the mom could not cope with the idea or possibility another child was dead. Thus, she held onto the belief he was alive. Especially, if it had to do with the home environment and rigidity of the father, his beliefs, etc. I can't imagine not telling the other children he was dead. When I think of the grieving process, it would almost seem more humane to have the children process his death rather then a lifetime of scanning crowds, jumping at phone calls or wondering if he is hungry, cold, afraid to come home or what they could have done to support him better. If he died from an accident, it is an accident and those things happen. Without a body, it is not convincing or tangible for some. Why even publicly delve into the family dynamics and issues and his lifestyle choices if there wasn't something convincing enough to cast doubt on his death. Hope is very powerful, but, giving a family negative publicity is not part of hope, unless they felt he was out there reading it...IDK.

Thanks for all the research, Satch!

I was unaware that they had lost an infant daughter. Perhaps, the mom could not cope with the idea or possibility another child was dead. Thus, she held onto the belief he was alive. Especially, if it had to do with the home environment and rigidity of the father, his beliefs, etc. I can't imagine not telling the other children he was dead. When I think of the grieving process, it would almost seem more humane to have the children process his death rather then a lifetime of scanning crowds, jumping at phone calls or wondering if he is hungry, cold, afraid to come home or what they could have done to support him better. If he died from an accident, it is an accident and those things happen. Without a body, it is not convincing or tangible for some. Why even publicly delve into the family dynamics and issues and his lifestyle choices if there wasn't something convincing enough to cast doubt on his death. Hope is very powerful, but, giving a family negative publicity is not part of hope, unless they felt he was out there reading it...IDK.

I don't know,

Maybe the family would rather hold on to the hope that Dermot is out there, and may not want to deal with a negative closure of death. (At least on Dermot's Mother's side.) And without a body or any contact from Dermot himself, there is the past negativity of him missing, while holding on to the hope of him still alive. Maybe not knowing keeps hope alive. Maybe Asta and her family held and hold on to the belief that 'Death kills all hope." Look at the contradiction between her husband and she, with Kevin declaring Dermot legally dead in 1992, while Asta was determined to believe that Dermot was alive and carried that to her grave.

I can also say that sometimes when leads turn up in Dermot's case, and LE might request DNA samples to try to match UID victims, I know that there is at least one living Kelly relative who refuses to give DNA samples. I read that LE has DNA available for Dermot's case.

I can see where over time, most people may feel the need to deal with the painful death over the loss of a loved one to bring closure. However, maybe negative closure is too much for the family to accept, if indeed Dermot passed away from an accident, (hypothermia and/or drowning,) or suicide. It's still the painful closure of death and some people in Dermot's family may not want to accept that.

Satch

Hey Guys,

Just found a little news snip on Dermot's Dad that he was nominated for Ogelsby State Republican attorney of Lasalle County back in 1952, and it says that he took a polygraph test to prove that he was opposed to stopping gambling in the county:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...&pg=5639,2467293&dq=kevin+kelly+oglesby&hl=en

Finding even the smallest bits of material from so far back really emphasies generation GAPS. (Not just gap, but gaps) between Mr. Kelly and Dermot. I would like to find out more about the types of cases that Kevin litigated.

There's two important things that stand out here:

1.) A determination in Kevin to stand up and fight for those things he believed in a perservering way.

2.) Running for a Republican political office, which would certainly clash with Dermot's interests of the hippie movement and his liberal views about people, values, and society. It seemed that Kevin's views were very intense and deep-rooted. Dermot in my view had strong opposing views resulting in personality clashes with his father. However, I think Dermot had fragile nerves. Kevin was completely opposite, very stoic.

Satch

In the coming days, I am going to try to do some research on the hippie movement and any origin information. I wanted to start out with the name "Dermot." I found a great website that talkers about the meaning of names. "Dermot" is not a common name in the United States, but has strong Irish connections. Look at the meaning: WOW!

Origin of the name Dermot:

Anglicized form of the Irish Diarmiad (without injunction, a freeman). Diarmaid is a compound name composed of the elements di (without) and airmit (injunction).

"Without Injunction. A Free Man!" I was shocked at how that definition seems to describe Dermot himself!

Taken from:

http://www.babynamewizard.com/namipedia/boy/dermot

Satch
This is interesting because there is a Dermot F, Kelly in Ireland...LOL

For you math guys out there, if the air temperature was 12 above zero the day Dermot disappeared, what would be the approximate temperature of the water in the Vermillion River? How long could a person survive in it given that air temperature?

I have moved up the hypothermia/drowning percentage in terms of what happened to Dermot to:

40% hypothermia/drowning
35% left successfully to start new life
25% suicide

Satch

I snipped the above. I can't answer this with math...LOL.

I grew up in "snow country". Half of my childhood was spent outside with the temp. below freezing. Typically, as long as you are walking around and stay dry, you could be outside all day.

For water submersion: But..."Generally, a person can survive in 41-degree F (5-degree C) water for 10, 15 or 20 minutes before the muscles get weak, you lose coordination and strength, which happens because the blood moves away from the extremities and toward the center, or core, of the body. There are many factors that determine how fast a person submerged in water cools. People who are obese, who have a lot of soft tissue that provides a lot of insulation, are likely to last longer than lanky people, because the body fat provides insulation. Another factor is how much of the body is actually underwater. (Water conducts heat away from the body much faster than air does, even if the water temperature is 20 degrees higher than the air temperature. So, the more the body is submerged, the faster its heat will be drained, according to Craig Heller, a Stanford University physiologist). If you have a flotation device that you can pull yourself on top of, you are much better off. "

My guess is the water temp was higher then the air. Otherwise most of the river would have been frozen?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=airplane-1549-hudson-hypothermia&page=2

Sorry for so many posts...LOL.

I found this interesting...From wikipedia...

1970s in LGBT rights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1972: Sweden becomes first country in the world to allow transsexuals to legally change their sex, and provides free hormone therapy;[8] Hawaii legalizes homosexuality; In Australia, the Dunstan Labor government introduces a consenting adults in private type defence in South Australia. This defence was initiated as a bill by Murray Hill, father of former Defence Minister Robert Hill, and later repealed the state's sodomy law in 1975; Norway decriminalizes homosexuality; East Lansing, Michigan and Ann Arbor, Michigan and San Francisco, California become the first cities in United States to pass a homosexual rights ordinance. Jim Foster, San Francisco and Madeline Davis, Buffalo, New York, first gay and lesbian delegates to the Democratic Convention, Miami, McGovern; give the first speeches advocating a gay rights plank in the Democratic Party Platform. "Stonewall Nation" first gay anthem is written and recorded by Madeline Davis and is produced on 45 rpm record by the Mattachine Society of the Niagara Frontier. Lesbianism 101, first lesbianism course in the U.S. taught at the University of Buffalo by Margaret Small and Madeline Davis.

East Lansing Michigan and Ann Harbor are 290-320 (ish) miles from Oglesby. East Lansing passed it's ordinance March of 1972. That is very close. And that is close enough where the news would reach them...And close enough for a 16 year old to concoct his own accidental death to head to where people understood him. After all 16 year olds are searching for that peer group and want to have someone "get" them and to fit in.

Kevin Kelly filed one of the earliest missing child reports, 1980's, with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. He had Dermot declared dead in 1990's. So, Kevin still doubted or had reason to hope in the 1980's Dermot was not deceased. But, towards the end of his life decided to declare him dead? Are there time requirements before someone can be declared dead? If the family refuses to comment for an article...what does that say? To me, if the story was pointing to Dermot accidentally drowned or fell in a river, that is what they would say. Why...if both parents are dead would it still be hush, hush? Unless, something happened in the home (he killed himself at home or got into a physical altercation that was fatal) and this was staged, I can't imagine no response from the family.

I think if Dermot were suicidal, he would not have said anything. No flip comment about a new life, etc. Those who are determined to successfully commit suicide keep their thoughts very, very private. Perhaps, he ended his life at home and with the stigma of suicide during the time, there was a cover-up...

As for an accident in the river... I think it is a possibility. I also think it could be staged. In order to survive did he HAVE to get picked up by a barge. No, not 100%. Another kid with a canoe or raft would work. Someone he met in treatment? Or, as we were not there that day or in the search party...there is a huge possibility that there were areas in the woods with ice or no snow cover that would easily hide human prints. Snow wells in tree bases, snow drifts, etc. Plus, a few pointers from a Jack London book could easily help someone stay alive for a day in 12 degree weather.

I guess if there is a even 5-10% possibility Dermot did try to start a new life and was successful at leaving the area, then we should look at UID's and such.

Just some ideas...

Sorry for so many posts...LOL.

I found this interesting...From wikipedia...

1970s in LGBT rights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1972: Sweden becomes first country in the world to allow transsexuals to legally change their sex, and provides free hormone therapy;[8] Hawaii legalizes homosexuality; In Australia, the Dunstan Labor government introduces a consenting adults in private type defence in South Australia. This defence was initiated as a bill by Murray Hill, father of former Defence Minister Robert Hill, and later repealed the state's sodomy law in 1975; Norway decriminalizes homosexuality; East Lansing, Michigan and Ann Arbor, Michigan and San Francisco, California become the first cities in United States to pass a homosexual rights ordinance. Jim Foster, San Francisco and Madeline Davis, Buffalo, New York, first gay and lesbian delegates to the Democratic Convention, Miami, McGovern; give the first speeches advocating a gay rights plank in the Democratic Party Platform. "Stonewall Nation" first gay anthem is written and recorded by Madeline Davis and is produced on 45 rpm record by the Mattachine Society of the Niagara Frontier. Lesbianism 101, first lesbianism course in the U.S. taught at the University of Buffalo by Margaret Small and Madeline Davis.

East Lansing Michigan and Ann Harbor are 290-320 (ish) miles from Oglesby. East Lansing passed it's ordinance March of 1972. That is very close. And that is close enough where the news would reach them...And close enough for a 16 year old to concoct his own accidental death to head to where people understood him. After all 16 year olds are searching for that peer group and want to have someone "get" them and to fit in.

Kevin Kelly filed one of the earliest missing child reports, 1980's, with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. He had Dermot declared dead in 1990's. So, Kevin still doubted or had reason to hope in the 1980's Dermot was not deceased. But, towards the end of his life decided to declare him dead? Are there time requirements before someone can be declared dead? If the family refuses to comment for an article...what does that say? To me, if the story was pointing to Dermot accidentally drowned or fell in a river, that is what they would say. Why...if both parents are dead would it still be hush, hush? Unless, something happened in the home (he killed himself at home or got into a physical altercation that was fatal) and this was staged, I can't imagine no response from the family.

I think if Dermot were suicidal, he would not have said anything. No flip comment about a new life, etc. Those who are determined to successfully commit suicide keep their thoughts very, very private. Perhaps, he ended his life at home and with the stigma of suicide during the time, there was a cover-up...

As for an accident in the river... I think it is a possibility. I also think it could be staged. In order to survive did he HAVE to get picked up by a barge. No, not 100%. Another kid with a canoe or raft would work. Someone he met in treatment? Or, as we were not there that day or in the search party...there is a huge possibility that there were areas in the woods with ice or no snow cover that would easily hide human prints. Snow wells in tree bases, snow drifts, etc. Plus, a few pointers from a Jack London book could easily help someone stay alive for a day in 12 degree weather.

I guess if there is a even 5-10% possibility Dermot did try to start a new life and was successful at leaving the area, then we should look at UID's and such.

Just some ideas...

Great stuff!

Very interesting information about Sweden and transsexualism. I found out that Dermot's Mother was Swedish as well. Excellent assessments of this case as always, Lucy. I think we should NEVER give up hope that Dermot could have survived that day! The realist in me sadly thinks that he probably could not because of the weather. However, if that 5%-10% chave of his survival is there, we owe it to Dermot to reach out, help him, and offer support for all touched by his case. The factual information sadly, remains the affects of the weather.

The high temperature that day was 12 above zero and the average temperature was only 7 above. Wind Chill I think would be somewhere between -4 to -7 below. We know that Dermot was only dressed in a T-Shirt and jeans under his jacket with a walking distance of about 15-20 minutes in bone-chilling cold. Dermot would almost certainly have suffered from the affects of hypothermia by the time he got to the river. He would have likely had frostbite among other symptoms. Now if he would have had a huge winter jacket, winter clothes under it, long-underwear, and a face mask, it would STILL be uncomfortable.

Now, had this been a summer or fall day with normal temperatures, I think your above scenario is very likely in which Dermot COULD have met up with somebody on a boat and pulled this off with a place to go, lodgings and so fourth. However, even if Dermot got to the river, practically frozen stiff, he would certainly have to get someplace warm and fast, maybe even to a doctor or hospital for medical care for frostbite and hypothermia. You still have a negative wind chill. Very uncomfortable and painful for a gentlemen to be out in that kind of weather.

Poor Dermot would have been simply been too cold with removing has jacket, and would have certainly suffered from frostbitten feet and toes from walking barefoot on ice. Regardless of what happened, I think he certainly picked a bad weather day to start a new life. Had this happened under normal weather conditions, his chances of survival would have been higher. (assuming no suicide.) I think the weather may have caused a fatal fate for him.

Here's More Food For Thought:

1.) Is it strange that only 90 minutes passed between Dermot leaving home and the police being called? If the reports were that Dermot was "despondent" why have him leave with such an apathetic response from the father, 'Wear warm boots?" My suspicion is that Dermot's Mother showed the concern, along with the other siblings and called the police.

2.) In those days for many jurisdications, you had to be gone for something like 72 hours before you would be considered a missing person, and even than you were considered a "runaway" a lot of the time. Maybe Dermot's father's economic and legal status got the police searching faster than they normally would have. Kudos for them in doing that. But dissapointed and sad that the river was not checked after a barge past through a week later.

3.) If you check the weather report here http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather-history/61348/1972/01/30/

You will see how cold it was that day. But a few days later, there was a warming trend in the weather, safer to search, but determined too cold for divers to continue searching the river by the end of the week.

4.) Would still love to know what Dermot's favorite possessions were that he left behind? Were they entered into evidence? Journals or diaries? People with whom Dermot confided in and trusted?

I believe Dermot was a fascinating, empathetic, nurturing, and loving person. The stories he could tell in words and writings would fascinate for hours on end. I think Dermot envied adventurous people who followed their dreams and who kept hope alive. And that's what I hope we can do, to come together for Dermot. Never stop hoping, pursue your dreams, never stop believing.

Satch

Satch...I have to disagree about the weather and time it would take for him to succumb to hypothermia...LOL. If he was walking or moving 1.5 miles is not a big deal, nor would he get hypothermic from it.

Schoolhouse Blizzard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This does not include several cases of young boys wandering around for over 8 hours/17 miles plus before finally falling to the ground. Or of the little girls found alive the next morning...etc. Their clothing would be comparable to what Dermot had on. They were also getting wet from the snow storm/blizzard...

Plus, if we think about early explorers such as Hilary, Scott, etc. While they eventually did perish it wasn't from hypothermia in itself. They had limited clothing options. So, I guess when I think about him wearing jeans and limited clothing, I can't see him getting that hypothermic if he was walking in such a short time...

Great stuff!

Very interesting information about Sweden and transsexualism. I found out that Dermot's Mother was Swedish as well. Excellent assessments of this case as always, Lucy. I think we should NEVER give up hope that Dermot could have survived that day! The realist in me sadly thinks that he probably could not because of the weather. However, if that 5%-10% chave of his survival is there, we owe it to Dermot to reach out, help him, and offer support for all touched by his case. The factual information sadly, remains the affects of the weather.

The high temperature that day was 12 above zero and the average temperature was only 7 above. Wind Chill I think would be somewhere between -4 to -7 below. We know that Dermot was only dressed in a T-Shirt and jeans under his jacket with a walking distance of about 15-20 minutes in bone-chilling cold. Dermot would almost certainly have suffered from the affects of hypothermia by the time he got to the river. He would have likely had frostbite among other symptoms. Now if he would have had a huge winter jacket, winter clothes under it, long-underwear, and a face mask, it would STILL be uncomfortable.

Now, had this been a summer or fall day with normal temperatures, I think your above scenario is very likely in which Dermot COULD have met up with somebody on a boat and pulled this off with a place to go, lodgings and so fourth. However, even if Dermot got to the river, practically frozen stiff, he would certainly have to get someplace warm and fast, maybe even to a doctor or hospital for medical care for frostbite and hypothermia. You still have a negative wind chill. Very uncomfortable and painful for a gentlemen to be out in that kind of weather.

Poor Dermot would have been simply been too cold with removing has jacket, and would have certainly suffered from frostbitten feet and toes from walking barefoot on ice. Regardless of what happened, I think he certainly picked a bad weather day to start a new life. Had this happened under normal weather conditions, his chances of survival would have been higher. (assuming no suicide.) I think the weather may have caused a fatal fate for him.

Here's More Food For Thought:

1.) Is it strange that only 90 minutes passed between Dermot leaving home and the police being called? If the reports were that Dermot was "despondent" why have him leave with such an apathetic response from the father, 'Wear warm boots?" My suspicion is that Dermot's Mother showed the concern, along with the other siblings and called the police.

2.) In those days for many jurisdications, you had to be gone for something like 72 hours before you would be considered a missing person, and even than you were considered a "runaway" a lot of the time. Maybe Dermot's father's economic and legal status got the police searching faster than they normally would have. Kudos for them in doing that. But dissapointed and sad that the river was not checked after a barge past through a week later.

3.) If you check the weather report here http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather-history/61348/1972/01/30/

You will see how cold it was that day. But a few days later, there was a warming trend in the weather, safer to search, but determined too cold for divers to continue searching the river by the end of the week.

4.) Would still love to know what Dermot's favorite possessions were that he left behind? Were they entered into evidence? Journals or diaries? People with whom Dermot confided in and trusted?

I believe Dermot was a fascinating, empathetic, nurturing, and loving person. The stories he could tell in words and writings would fascinate for hours on end. I think Dermot envied adventurous people who followed their dreams and who kept hope alive. And that's what I hope we can do, to come together for Dermot. Never stop hoping, pursue your dreams, never stop believing.

Satch

1. Any chance Dermot left before this time? I agree about the 90 minute thing. I was wondering that before. Is it possible he was kicked out of the house?

2. Is it possible Dermot HAD been missing 72 hours? Or that perhaps 72 hours do not apply for someone who has a "mental health" history. I am not sure what the psych hold laws were at that time. But, if LGBT were considered criminals, etc...would police search sooner because of the (perceived) threat to society?

3. Not convinced about the weather...LOL. Here is a horrible story, but, it shows a bit about hypothermia, times, etc. Mind you these are small children, not 6'0 tall young men...

http://www.mtexpress.com/index2.php?ID=2005124225

4. I would love to know if Dermot gave away favorite possessions (typical with suicide) or what he left behind as well. I do have to say...sometimes people just walk away from their lives...Are we 100% certain Dermot did NOT stash other items somewhere in the woods?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sylvanianvicious
Back