Identified! IL - Jefferson Co, Wht Fem 30-50, 166UFIL, wry neck syndrome, Jan'93 - Susan Hope Lund

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hello! I grew up on Rend Lake. The head was found right before I turned 6. I clearly remember seeing it on the news and it has fascinated me since. If the head was thrown from I-57 it would 100% have to be the southbound lanes. It is highly unlikely she was thrown from the interstate because the interstate is not close enough for that to be possible. For awhile I was convinced that Ina Jane Doe was from the small Mennonite community a bit east of the park. If she had left the community by choice she would have been cut off from family and friends. They would not know to report her missing. After learning she had received expensive dental care I know I am wrong. It is possible that the body was dismembered then consumed by wildlife. I recently decided to start researching this case again, and I stumbled upon the serial killer Gary Michael Hiton. He decapitated his victims and left them in national forest. At some point after being caught he says something to the effect that he did not start killing at the age of 61. Rend Lake is out of his murder zone, but I am not convinced he did not kill Ina Jane Doe.

Hello fellow Southern Illinois native! I spent a lot of time at Rend Lake, and travel frequently on I-57. I agree that Gary Michael Hilton is a likely suspect. From what I found he committed 4 known murders in 2007 and 2008. It seems very possible that he could've been in the Illinois/midwest area in the early 90s, murdered Ina Jane Doe and stopped off of 57 to dispose of the head. Since I-57 is one of the direct routes to Chicago, it wouldn't surprise me if her killer was from that area too.

Hello fellow Southern Illinois native! I spent a lot of time at Rend Lake, and travel frequently on I-57. I agree that Gary Michael Hilton is a likely suspect. From what I found he committed 4 known murders in 2007 and 2008. It seems very possible that he could've been in the Illinois/midwest area in the early 90s, murdered Ina Jane Doe and stopped off of 57 to dispose of the head. Since I-57 is one of the direct routes to Chicago, it wouldn't surprise me if her killer was from that area too.

Hi, and welcome @cyberpanda!

Ina Jane Doe - Illinois, 1993 - Redgrave Research Forensic Services LLC
Now a Redgrave Research case with a new reconstruction by @CarlK90245
Ina-Jane-Doe-Reconstruction-With-Eye-Makeup-768x1024.jpg

Recently, Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office has pursued new avenues of identification of the victim known as “Ina Jane Doe,” including anthropological re-analysis from University of New Hampshire assistant professor Dr. Amy Michael, DNA extraction and sequencing by Astrea Labs, and forensic genetic genealogy by Redgrave Research Forensic Services. New forensic art has been prepared by Carl Koppelman to reflect updated findings.

Ina Jane Doe - Illinois, 1993 - Redgrave Research Forensic Services LLC
Now a Redgrave Research case with a new reconstruction by @CarlK90245
Ina-Jane-Doe-Reconstruction-With-Eye-Makeup-768x1024.jpg

Recently, Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office has pursued new avenues of identification of the victim known as “Ina Jane Doe,” including anthropological re-analysis from University of New Hampshire assistant professor Dr. Amy Michael, DNA extraction and sequencing by Astrea Labs, and forensic genetic genealogy by Redgrave Research Forensic Services. New forensic art has been prepared by Carl Koppelman to reflect updated findings.
Awesome!
And finally a rendering that doesn't dehumanise her.

Came here to post the Red Grave Research article but someone already posted it! I'M SO EXCITED FOR THIS GUYS! I really hope she gets identified. I thought about her all summer because I made a stop at State Park she was found at during a road trip.

Came here to post the Red Grave Research article but someone already posted it! I'M SO EXCITED FOR THIS GUYS! I really hope she gets identified. I thought about her all summer because I made a stop at State Park she was found at during a road trip.
I did the same. I was so happy to see activity on this case.

Something stands out to me wrt this case. Adult-onset poor dental health in a person with red hair doesn't necessarily correlate with drugs or poverty; it may instead simply correlate with having red hair.

The same genetic mutation that causes red hair (a mutation on the MC1R gene) also affects the body's reaction to pain and how it handles pain relief and anaesthesia. Redheads usually require additional freezing during dental work but very often don't get it, and can be belittled, mocked, and ridiculed for asking for it and called lying malingerers. (This was even more true in the 90s and earlier, when this person was alive.) This is why redheads of all socioeconomic statuses are more likely to avoid getting dental work than the norm, which in turn might lead to misinterpretations by anthropologists or others unaware of this genetic quirk.

tl;dr bad teeth aren’t a reliable sign of poverty, drug use, or neglect in redheaded people

Something stands out to me wrt this case. Adult-onset poor dental health in a person with red hair doesn't necessarily correlate with drugs or poverty; it may instead simply correlate with having red hair.

The same genetic mutation that causes red hair (a mutation on the MC1R gene) also affects the body's reaction to pain and how it handles pain relief and anaesthesia. Redheads usually require additional freezing during dental work but very often don't get it, and can be belittled, mocked, and ridiculed for asking for it and called lying malingerers. (This was even more true in the 90s and earlier, when this person was alive.) This is why redheads of all socioeconomic statuses are more likely to avoid getting dental work than the norm, which in turn might lead to misinterpretations by anthropologists or others unaware of this genetic quirk.

tl;dr bad teeth aren’t a reliable sign of poverty, drug use, or neglect in redheaded people

I have red hair and 'redhead syndrome' is a real thing. There's only one dentist who I trust to properly numb me, and he's 6 hours away. Before going to him I was terrified of going to the dentist because I thought it was that painful for everyone. I also didn't know it was related to my hair color for the longest time, so it might have been similar for this lady.

A women named Crystal reached out to me and is commenting on reddit. Saying this is her mother, Susan Hope Lund. A press release will be on Friday. I can't find a missing persons report for Susan. But either way this is news is great to hear!
view.php

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Forgotten Murders
Back