Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
ETA: I so very much wish we could see the FBI's BAU profile!!!!!
^^ rsbm

I'm concerned that the BAU was incomplete based on family hesitation to participate when they did not like the line of questioning. Afraid it was leading to confirmation of suicide theory. Also, I think that FBI's last announcement where they announced their $10K reward was carefully worded that they were seeking to speak to individuals that knew JD -- perhaps directed to those that have been reluctant to speak due to loyalty or fear. MOO

ETA: add link
Jelani Day case: Family upset FBI looking at 25-year-old's death as possible suicide

Last edited:
Studies are just getting started as the government prevented studies until it loosened up recently.
The effect of THC is very different than CBD.

Medicinal cannabis for psychiatric disorders: a clinically-focused systematic review | BMC Psychiatry | Full Text

The present evidence in the emerging field of cannabinoid therapeutics in psychiatry is nascent, and thereby it is currently premature to recommend cannabinoid-based interventions. Isolated positive studies have, however, revealed tentative support for cannabinoids (namely cannabidiol; CBD) for reducing social anxiety; with mixed (mainly positive) evidence for adjunctive use in schizophrenia.

ETA: This is all generalizing, in no way do I mean to imply a diagnosis of anyone with a mental illness based on things I read about them in the news.
Yes studies point to those aspects. IDK another thing that is emerging is that alcohol causes cancer so in a different way it can apply as well IMO. The point is regardless of benefits there are negative aspects as well to these substances as pointed out and yet people continue maybe being educated about them makes a difference hence the studies and emerging opinions. We can only hope.

New 'Jelani Day' bill to require FBI involvement in cases where bodies remain unidentified | WGLT
It’s been six months since Illinois State University graduate student Jelani Day went missing. His body was not found for nearly two weeks. Once found, Day's remains went unidentified for three more weeks.

State Sen. Elgie Sims, D-Chicago, says the process should not take so long.

“When you look at missing person cases, typically the first 72 hours are extremely important. So being able to get those resources in place, they're just critical to the overall success and getting families the help that they need,” said Sims.

Sims hopes to amend the Missing Persons Identification Act with SB 3932. It would require medical examiners and coroners to contact the FBI if a body remains unidentified after 72 hours. Sims said the FBI would then work with the Illinois State Police.

“It's not an indictment of any person in law enforcement. It's about utilizing the tools that we have we have at our disposal,” Sims said.

Sims said he hopes the legislative reinforcement will help police and coroners find out sooner how and why a missing person died, and therefore bring closure to the family and the community suffering the loss.

Sims is a former Redbird himself. He says he sends his heart out to Day's family, his alma mater, and the Bloomington-Normal community.

“My heart goes out first and foremost to the family, but also to the entire community. Because you want everyone to understand that they have value. Whomever you are, your life has value,” said Sims.

The FBI is offering a $10,000 reward to anyone who comes forward with information on Jelani Day's death.

SB 3932 passed through the Senate Local Government committee on Tuesday. The 5-3 vote fell along party lines. The bill is placed on the Senate calendar for second reading.

Support Nonprofit Journalism

The National Association of Medical Examiners’ Forensic Autopsy Performance Standards indicate that a forensic autopsy will be performed when:

See link:

Under What Circumstances Will an Autopsy be Performed?

So it seems to me that all medical examiners in every state are already doing PM's on unidentified remains. So is Mr. Sims suggesting every time a UID is discovered it becomes protocol to advise the FBI of the discovery or is he only concerned with remains that are very recently deceased? From what I can see using the time parameters framed in the updated bill the discovery of JD's remains and when he was identified were already within the new parameters.

I have gone back to the beginning of thread #1 as I only read posts before & read thro the case fairly quickly. I did not look at many of the links provided. They are usually summarized very well, ty!
So. There is a post dated 02/09 on the social media justice for Jelani where it is said that an agency walkie talkie was found very near his car. I've no idea what that is about! And I don't take it as fact, just curious.
CBD also stated that the FBI did not interview her or her family.
I did not follow it too far back as it degenerated into slander and psychics.
Trying to get a feel for the family & dynamics. I do see some problems.
I don't think JJ would have been able to talk openly with his family about the difficulties he experienced, particularly depression. Very early on, one of his brothers made comments that gave me a strong impression that it would be a moral, character, religious failure in his eyes.

The National Association of Medical Examiners’ Forensic Autopsy Performance Standards indicate that a forensic autopsy will be performed when:

See link:

Under What Circumstances Will an Autopsy be Performed?

So it seems to me that all medical examiners in every state are already doing PM's on unidentified remains. So is Mr. Sims suggesting every time a UID is discovered it becomes protocol to advise the FBI of the discovery or is he only concerned with remains that are very recently deceased? From what I can see using the time parameters framed in the updated bill the discovery of JD's remains and when he was identified were already within the new parameters.
Yeah, they need to do more research. This is just playing games. I don't know what they are trying to pull here.

Jelani Day’s mom left with no answers | CIProud.com (centralillinoisproud.com)
BLOOMINGTON, Ill. (WMBD) — A grieving mother is still searching for answers from police six months after her son’s death and disappearance.

Carmen Bolden-Day, mother of Illinois State University graduate student, Jelani Day, said she met with Bloomington Police Chief Jamal Simington Thursday about her son’s case.

Bolden-Day said it’s a meeting she’s been trying to schedule for months, and even spoke to the city council about in January.

At Thursday’s meeting, Bolden-Day said all the chief told her was that her son’s case is still active and is not yet classified as a cold case.

“I did not get a lot from the meeting. I was told Bloomington (police) is not the lead, but they are participating in the Jelani Day Joint Taskforce,” Bolden-Day said.

That task force consists of the La Salle County Sheriff’s Office, Peru Police Department, Bloomington Police Department, Illinois State Police, and the F.B.I.

However, police have not specifically said how each agency is directly involved or to what extent.

Jelani Day went missing in Bloomington this past August. He was last seen alive at the Beyond/Hello Cannabis Store off Veteran’s Parkway on Aug. 25. However, a few weeks later, his car, clothes, and eventually his body were recovered in La Salle County.

In October, the La Salle County coroner revealed Day’s cause of death as drowning, but, Bolden-Day believes her son was killed.

Police have not said how or why Jelani ended up in the river and have not ruled out foul play.

“I have been seeking answers for my son, I am seeking justice for my son. I do not have those answers, I have a bunch of nothing,” Bolden-Day said. “They’re telling me that they’re doing one thing and then they’re doing the same thing eight weeks later, it’s the same stuff all the time. They put out a search warrant on Oct. 27, and on Jan. 5 they’re telling me they put out that same search warrant again. Things don’t make sense, and they don’t add up.”

Bolden-Day told WMBD again on Thursday that her hope is the F.B.I. takes over as the lead investigators in the case.

“I do need for an agency that appears to give that attention and those resources to non-people of color; they look for them, they find answers and find out what happened to them,” Bolden-Day said. “So yes, I would hope that this same agency would extend that same opportunity to myself in this case with Jelani so that I can get those same answers and closure.”

Bolden-Day said she wants to know what Bloomington Police did within the first month of Jelani’s disappearance.

“They came to me with a bunch of numbers and nothing adds up. They say they have this many hours of video footage, well it’s been six months. They say they’ve done footwork, well when did this occur, I wanted to know from the Bloomington Police Department what they did within those first 30 days,” Bolden-Day said. “It’s not my intention or goal to bash the police, that’s not what this is about. It’s about doing their job effectively and giving the due diligence that my son deserves, my family deserves.”
The meeting today was a private meeting between the Bloomington Police Department’s leaders and members of the Day family. It is still an active investigation. As members of the Jelani Day Joint Task Force, we implore anyone who has any information to contact the FBI Tip line 1-800-CALL-FBI.

“I have been seeking answers for my son, I am seeking justice for my son. I do not have those answers, I have a bunch of nothing,” Bolden-Day said. “They’re telling me that they’re doing one thing and then they’re doing the same thing eight weeks later, it’s the same stuff all the time. They put out a search warrant on Oct. 27, and on Jan. 5 they’re telling me they put out that same search warrant again. Things don’t make sense, and they don’t add up.”
RSBBM - A search warrant?? This is the first I’ve heard of this. For what/whose property? Did I miss this previously or is CBD mistakenly referencing a search warrant instead of the LE request for video/information?
I’m also very saddened to see she is continuing to push a racial agenda for this case when there’s been no evidence whatsoever to point towards that. I feel awful for her, but I’m afraid that people may start to discredit CBD’s pleas for info when she’s constantly creating a battle that isn’t (to my knowledge) there. She, JD, and those actually experiencing racial injustice deserve true justice, even if it’s answers we don’t necessarily like, and this doesn’t help. All moo

RSBBM - A search warrant?? This is the first I’ve heard of this. For what/whose property? Did I miss this previously or is CBD mistakenly referencing a search warrant instead of the LE request for video/information?
I’m also very saddened to see she is continuing to push a racial agenda for this case when there’s been no evidence whatsoever to point towards that. I feel awful for her, but I’m afraid that people may start to discredit CBD’s pleas for info when she’s constantly creating a battle that isn’t (to my knowledge) there. She, JD, and those actually experiencing racial injustice deserve true justice, even if it’s answers we don’t necessarily like, and this doesn’t help. All moo
I don’t know anything about a search warrant either. I’ll see if I can find anything.

I don’t know anything about a search warrant either. I’ll see if I can find anything.
I'm recalling statements by the Bloomington PD Public Affairs Officer - J Fermon reminding the public that this was is not a criminal investigation where probable cause attaches --the requirement for issuing a search warrant. I recall they were working on exigent circumstances to execute search warrants for certain social media and phone records (digital evidence) that could not be obtained by subpoena powers. IMO, the search warrants CBD references are likely the very same. And I don't believe that CBD is being provided half-answers that are then relayed to the public. MOO

https://www.cities929.com/2021/09/21/jelani-day-is-still-missing-case-remains-active/

Sept 21, 2021

Bloomington Police issued an update yesterday, Sept. 21 2021 and it was to let people know they are still investigating the case.

“Send in tips, that’s why we gave Detective Jones’ number there. One thing we do is comb through digital evidence that could be a cell phone, laptop, cell tower, just a wide variety of digital evidence,” said Public Affairs officer John Fermon. “That’s a lot of where investigations are focused, which can take time.”

Fermon said a lot of times they have to do a subpoena or search warrant to obtain digital evidence.

[..]

“Any social media account or any account that he has had that’s something we may have to specifically subpoena. We’re not giving any specifics on his case but generally if you have social media or a laptop or something like that, we would get a subpoena and look through those records. Especially in this case since it’s not a criminal case we’re gonna try to go the extra mile and see if we could find any information through that digital evidence.”

[..]

I have also become increasingly concerned about CBD. she is fighting the wrong battle but I understand that it comes from pain. I have been thinking about the 5 stages of grief. Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance. It isn't a linear process tho.
I wonder about the effect on the other siblings when she takes the stance that one is either with her on this or is not and it is a battleground. They need to process their grief according to their individual needs. This only makes it more difficult for them. More difficult for her as well. So sad.

I have also become increasingly concerned about CBD. she is fighting the wrong battle but I understand that it comes from pain. I have been thinking about the 5 stages of grief. Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance. It isn't a linear process tho.
I wonder about the effect on the other siblings when she takes the stance that one is either with her on this or is not and it is a battleground. They need to process their grief according to their individual needs. This only makes it more difficult for them. More difficult for her as well. So sad.
I've long shared your concern and also question the impact that the early support from unnamed organizations may have had on her grieving process. We witnessed some individuals in power perpetuate rumors and untruths long after they were exposed-- fueling a mother's pain, and denial for that matter. MOO

I've long shared your concern and also question the impact that the early support from unnamed organizations may have had on her grieving process. We witnessed some individuals in power perpetuate rumors and untruths long after they were exposed-- fueling a mother's pain, and denial for that matter. MOO
I agree CBD has been used by the people who pretend to support her. (JMO). It’s their cause.

At this point in time how does the investigation proceed? What if there IS no evidence of foul play when phone records are recovered and analyzed, and if nothing leads LE to any conclusive evidence of foul play or murder, camera recordings don’t provide
any useful data? What then? This is a rhetorical question of course but IF there is no evidence of foul play based on a thorough investigation, does the case get closed eventually? I’m scared for all the people and agencies who have already been threatened and harassed by this family.

Last edited:
I agree CBD has been used by the people who pretend to support her. (JMO). It’s their cause.

At this point in time how does the investigation proceed? What if there IS no evidence of foul play when phone records are recovered and analyzed, and if nothing leads LE to any conclusive evidence of foul play or murder, camera recordings don’t provide
any useful data? What then? This is a rhetorical question of course but IF there is no evidence of foul play based on a thorough investigation, does the case get closed eventually? I’m scared for all the people and agencies who have already been threatened and harassed by this family.
I guess there are a couple ways to look at the question posed. Firstly if the findings of the investigation provide no evidence of foul play (but the questions linger on what happened at the same time) then the manner of death will remain undetermined. The same for if the appearance were suicide or perhaps an accident where something happened to him unintentionally by himself (psychosis) for example. We won't ever know. Its very sad IMO. But its the reality of the situation unfortunately. I personally think if he had let someone close to him know what was happening in his life or left a digital trail behind he would be alive or at least know what could have possibly occurred that day. From what I've seen his digital trail on the day he disappeared is limited. I believe the outcome would be different if he had. I think his family would have been happy he was trying his best. Even if he hadn't fulfilled the speech pathology program there were other opportunities for him. I'm sure he was aware of this. From what I understand his other family members haven't been in an educational program such as the speech pathology program where I believe the highest level is a PHD doctorate. All MOO. I would be quite proud if a family member had been accepted into such a program but none of mine have like most of us.

From what I understand his other family members haven't been in an educational program such as the speech pathology program
rsbm
I'm not going to sleuth the rest of his family's education but MSM did report that his brother was also in grad school: "an Eastern graduate student studying sports administration"
Eastern student seeks help finding missing brother

MOO
Just talking aloud here today.
1) CBD's belief that suicide results in an eternity in hell. and her perception that JJ believed this too.
This belief would set her up to completely reject that as a possibility. and I agree others have exploited her denial. From social media there is a mob mentality going on that really doesn't have the best interest of CBD and family in the forefront.
2) In considering the 5 stages of grief, which I have now found has been expanded (5 Stages of Grief After Facing A Loss (psychcentral.com) I really got to thinking about and wondering if the first 3 of the traditional 5 are not defense mechanisms. It just seems to make sense to me that it is. This article cited does affirm denial as being a common defense mechanism. I haven't found the other 2 classified that way but have not done much research yet. I donated all my psych, sociology, and suicidality books to the library.
3) suicidal thinking is almost always characterized as "tunnel vision". There is also the matter of intrusive thoughts & intrusive voices, some manifest just as internal mind chatter, others are truly hearing voices. It can be very isolating. I will try to expand on this later.
4) I have been reading John Douglass (founder of FBI BAU unit) new book. In the first case he presents in this book, he states that they did not write up their BAU profile to protect from leaks. They were actively involved in both the profiling and tactics to identify and capture the offender through direct meetings and consultations with the local investigating authorities. However, the case was known to be homicides. They were integrally involved but stayed in the background.

So now, I have more research to do.

rsbm
I'm not going to sleuth the rest of his family's education but MSM did report that his brother was also in grad school: "an Eastern graduate student studying sports administration"
Eastern student seeks help finding missing brother
Actually what I meant was a prestigous program. If a doctorate and PHD are an end result after completing the program IMO its quite an acheivement. Not saying that other programs that don't result in PHD's or doctorates aren't (although I'm not certain if his brother's program would result in a PHD or doctorate but if it does or doesn't its as I originally said). But Jelani's program requires a whole other level of dedication and committment in studies. MOO.

rsbm
Eastern student seeks help finding missing brother

I don't recall reading this before -- thanks @Curious_in_NC for linking. The article is dated Sept 5, 2021, which was only a day after JD's body recovered from the river. At the time of this report, the family had a $25,000 reward and the get money had raised $9,000 towards the reward. Coupled with the FBI's reward at $10,000 that's a big incentive for information. I'm sorry it's not produced any leads -- perhaps because there's nothing to tell.

Actually what I meant was a prestigous program. If a doctorate and PHD are an end result after completing the program IMO its quite an acheivement. Not saying that other programs that don't result in PHD's or doctorates aren't (although I'm not certain if his brother's program would result in a PHD or doctorate but if it does or doesn't its as I originally said). But Jelani's program requires a whole other level of dedication and committment in studies. MOO.
Well, but Jelani was also in a master's level program - some SLP programs are MA, some are MS, but they all cover the same information. I'm also an SLP, so all of this is based on my own experience and/or opinion. I also started grad school at the top rated program in the field after taking a year off following undergrad, and I remember well the stress and pressure of balancing class work and beginning clinical experience. IMO, the first week or 2 of the semester weren't the pinnacle of stress, but I also did not have other major stressors in my life, like Jelani did.

Something that has bothered me since the beginning is the issue of Jelani becoming a doctor. I know it has no effect on how or why he ended up in the water, but it just doesn't make logical sense. Either his long term plan was to earn his master's in speech-language pathology and then go on to medical school and become an MD, but that would make very little sense and be financially irresponsible, IMO. It would also take a loooong time before he was actually practicing medicine, and it would be a loooong time to be paying tuition. OR, he could complete his master's in SLP and then go on for a PhD in the same field with the goal of engaging in research or teaching OR gain a clinical PhD, but then no one would call him a doctor. Sure, he'd have his doctorate and may be called Dr. Day, professionally, but we don't typically refer to PhDs as doctors. A PhD in this field is an accomplishment, but it's not that financially lucrative that he'd be able to take care of his mom that way, as I think was reported or insinuated in the early talk about him someday becoming a doctor.

I don't know. It doesn't really matter in terms of the investigation, but IMO it may reflect a bit on the accuracy of some details that are being shared. No specific details that I have in mind, just musing that there could be other things that are being distorted based on emotion or desire for things to be another way.

Also while I'm here :) I wanted to mention that I've been to Peru, IL; my husband lived in LaSalle before we met and after we were married, he occasionally traveled back for work meetings. I accompanied him a couple times. He actually worked in river transport, which makes it even more poignant. This case involves such a strange combination of pieces of our histories, with the SLP grad school angle and the Peru/LaSalle location, that it really piques my interest.

Something that has bothered me since the beginning is the issue of Jelani becoming a doctor. I know it has no effect on how or why he ended up in the water, but it just doesn't make logical sense. Either his long term plan was to earn his master's in speech-language pathology and then go on to medical school and become an MD, but that would make very little sense and be financially irresponsible, IMO. It would also take a loooong time before he was actually practicing medicine, and it would be a loooong time to be paying tuition. OR, he could complete his master's in SLP and then go on for a PhD in the same field with the goal of engaging in research or teaching OR gain a clinical PhD, but then no one would call him a doctor. Sure, he'd have his doctorate and may be called Dr. Day, professionally, but we don't typically refer to PhDs as doctors. A PhD in this field is an accomplishment, but it's not that financially lucrative that he'd be able to take care of his mom that way, as I think was reported or insinuated in the early talk about him someday becoming a doctor.
^^rsbm

Appreciate your professional knowledge and input @TLobo. I think you've confirmed what I've believed all along (a future MD degree is not logical given his path).

IMO, I think JD's mom, CBD, may have conflated an MD degree with a Clinical Doctorate degree.

I understand a Master's degree is a prerequisite for licensure in Illinois (& most states), and continuing on the path for an MS in SLP seems consistent for one that obtained their undergrad degree in SLP.

According to links citing ASHA, there are only eight ASHA-recognized doctoral-level speech pathology degree programs in the United States today. *

*A PhD is the oldest and most traditional type of doctoral degree. This path is most closely associated with research and academic study of speech pathology. PhDs may be heavily invested in becoming professors in SLP or in performing high-level research that drives the field forward with groundbreaking new therapies or diagnostic programs.

* The SLP-D is the clinical doctorate in speech pathology. The education is just as advanced and in-depth as in a PhD program, but the focus is more on treatment and working directly with patients than with research and academics. SLP-Ds expect to return to the workforce to use their new skills directly in patient treatment.

At ISU, the only doctorate offered for Communication Sciences Disorders is a
Clinical Doctorate in Audiology (AuD), a four-year post baccalaureate degree program.

ETA: Seems Northwestern now offers a SLPD!

*https://www.speechpathologygraduateprograms.org/2021/09/why-get-a-doctorate-in-speech-pathology/

Audiology Doctorate | Illinois State University

Last edited:
^^rsbm

Appreciate your professional knowledge and input @TLobo. I think you've confirmed what I've believed all along (a future MD degree is not logical given his path).

IMO, I think JD's mom, CBD, may have conflated an MD degree with a Clinical Doctorate degree.

I understand a Master's degree is a prerequisite for licensure in Illinois (& most states), and continuing on the path for an MS in SLP seems consistent for one that obtained their undergrad degree in SLP.

According to links citing ASHA, there are only eight ASHA-recognized doctoral-level speech pathology degree programs in the United States today. *

*A PhD is the oldest and most traditional type of doctoral degree. This path is most closely associated with research and academic study of speech pathology. PhDs may be heavily invested in becoming professors in SLP or in performing high-level research that drives the field forward with groundbreaking new therapies or diagnostic programs.

* The SLP-D is the clinical doctorate in speech pathology. The education is just as advanced and in-depth as in a PhD program, but the focus is more on treatment and working directly with patients than with research and academics. SLP-Ds expect to return to the workforce to use their new skills directly in patient treatment.

At ISU, the only doctorate offered for Communication Sciences Disorders is a
Clinical Doctorate in Audiology (AuD), a four-year post baccalaureate degree program.

ETA: Seems Northwestern now offers a SLPD!

*https://www.speechpathologygraduateprograms.org/2021/09/why-get-a-doctorate-in-speech-pathology/

Audiology Doctorate | Illinois State University
I'm just speculating but could it be that his mother was referring to PhD? I could be totally wrong. IMO this is what she may have been referring to when she said "doctor?" As for financial incentive an individual with a university degree (doctorate and PhD included) in science or medicine generally have a higher financial gain upon employment in the field that they desire than Arts or Literature (that's not always true though with Arts and Literature they could be lucrative.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Angelinazoomazooma
Back