Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The family is displeased and insulted that, instead of giving them the full video, Beyond/Hello gave the limited video directly to the Pantograph. Understandable, in my opinion. If the family (only) had the full video, I don't believe they would share it with the public.

I think there is a valid reason for businesses and the community in general for not wanting to deal with the family directly. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Watch now: Jelani Day family criticizes Bloomington police

We have had over 100 days, including a Christmas, a New Year, and two siblings birthdays pass without any clarity, sense of understanding, compassion or help," said Seve Day, older brother of Jelani Day. "We are here today to call out the lackluster and piss-poor behavior and disrespect we have experienced during this time.

"We want the FBI to take over the case and this hate crime against my brother so my family does not have to go through another holiday, birthday, week, month, date, without closure," he said.

Watch now: Jelani Day family criticizes Bloomington police

We have had over 100 days, including a Christmas, a New Year, and two siblings birthdays pass without any clarity, sense of understanding, compassion or help," said Seve Day, older brother of Jelani Day. "We are here today to call out the lackluster and piss-poor behavior and disrespect we have experienced during this time.

"We want the FBI to take over the case and this hate crime against my brother so my family does not have to go through another holiday, birthday, week, month, date, without closure," he said.
Wow.

1/10/22 - City Council Meeting - City of Bloomington, IL

CBD addresses the Council begins about 10 min mark

ETA: Councilmember Jamie Mathy, speaking on behalf of the absent Mayor, concluded the meeting providing that the council is unable to respond to CBD since Jelani's case is an active investigation. This evening he could only offer his personal condolences and sympathy.

Last edited:
I can't tell, the quality is poor. I believe I see it in his hand when he enters, at 9:12 am, It was turned off at 9:19 am, I would like to know what time he left and if he turned off the cellphone inside, or if the timing proves he had to have turned it off immediately after leaving.
updated_pics_from_police_-_jelani.jpg
That's an interesting thought. If he turned off his phone after the visit at 9:19AM outside then it could be that he was going to go somewhere and eat an edible/s or smoke, maybe meet up with someone and share the edible/s or MJ. Perhaps he wanted to keep it secret and he deliberately turned it off so he couldn't be tracked so he could go in peace and meet up with someone. All moo! On a seperate note IMO its also not a good idea to not have people who care about you and love you not know your whereabouts it could be a potential life changing event in a negative way as may have happened in this case, maybe he'd still be alive if it hadn't been turned off. Although if it was on someone else could've still thrown it away to confuse LE. The phone being turned off does give some clues but not the context of why. There has to be footage of Jelani entering his car, IMO that would satisfy naysayers that possibly think something happened at the dispensary or before he got into his car. That would also let us know what direction he drove in. IMO LE already knows this as it would be in the original footage provided by the dispensary to LE.

Last edited:
We've not been provided the timeline of when JD's vehicle was seen entering the on-ramp to the interstate headed towards Peru -- same ramp where I believe his phone was located, or what time he exited in Peru and/or anything in between.

I believe the only time we're aware of is when Jelani was seen leaving campus parking garage and when he arrived/departed the dispensary.

With what's available -- we really don't know how long he remained in Bloomington and whether or not he indulged in his purchase here or elsewhere.

I don't think Jelani made any plans that day to see anyone. Jelani's mother had the ability to check for the last ping on his phone. It is not specific enough to show if he had gone into a specific business, but it was quickly found to be the dispensary. It's not been disclosed if she also knew everywhere he had been that morning, besides the campus. She asked for the records from the cellphone, and she got them a few days before they told her she would. I only saw one interview where she said anything about the records, a reporter asked her if she got them , she said yes, the reporter asked if there was any information and CBD just shook her head no and mumbled no, there wasn't anything. If Jelani had been meeting with people, arranging things, etc., it would be in his cellphone. His mother, and the police by now, have access to everything in the phone. The family also has his laptop. If there was text or phone calls they couldn't account for, I think the family would have made sure it was investigated. Also, his car model came with GPS. I'd think that had been accessed.

I don't think Jelani made any plans that day to see anyone. Jelani's mother had the ability to check for the last ping on his phone. It is not specific enough to show if he had gone into a specific business, but it was quickly found to be the dispensary. It's not been disclosed if she also knew everywhere he had been that morning, besides the campus. She asked for the records from the cellphone, and she got them a few days before they told her she would. I only saw one interview where she said anything about the records, a reporter asked her if she got them , she said yes, the reporter asked if there was any information and CBD just shook her head no and mumbled no, there wasn't anything. If Jelani had been meeting with people, arranging things, etc., it would be in his cellphone. His mother, and the police by now, have access to everything in the phone. The family also has his laptop. If there was text or phone calls they couldn't account for, I think the family would have made sure it was investigated. Also, his car model came with GPS. I'd think that had been accessed.
There wasn’t anything? I find that odd.

There was nothing on his phone to give a clue? No texts or phone calls incoming/outgoing/missed from anyone?
No calendar reminder of his meeting that morning? No internet searches?
Or had things been deleted?

I thought his phone would have provided information helpful to the investigation.

JMO

There wasn’t anything? I find that odd.

There was nothing on his phone to give a clue? No texts or phone calls incoming/outgoing/missed from anyone?
No calendar reminder of his meeting that morning? No internet searches?
Or had things been deleted?

I thought his phone would have provided information helpful to the investigation.

JMO
I'm sure the phone calls/text messages that were already mentioned by the family and the program director are there. Depending on how early the program directed texted him on that Tuesday, her text may be there. I wouldn't think he had a calendar reminded to see the director, he had just texted with her the evening before. The phone was turned off, then smashed. I don't know if the mother could see all the missed calls of the family trying to call him on Wednesday. If I turn off my phone, then look at my account on the internet, how will the calls register if the signals never found my phone. I don't think it would be disclosed by the family if there was something they don't want to make public, such as internet searches. If anything was deleted, it had to be before he turned it off, before he went into the dispensary. Even then, the mother would still have the phone data.
I too think the phone has important information, like what was he doing on Monday, did he go to class, he told his mom that he had the money for the trip, does his phone show where the money came from? Did he have to keep his phone on at the dispensary so he could pay for the purchase?

Last edited:
I too think the phone has important information, like what was he doing on Monday, did he go to class, he told his mom that he had the money for the trip, does his phone show where the money came from?
^^rsbm
I'm not familiar with the "trip" you are referencing.

At the time JD disappeared, I recall he shared with CBD that he repaid his aunt c/o of his mom by depositing the funds in mom's bank account. Do I have that wrong? Also, I think it long understood that JD's pattern of funding his own travel was to badger his mom or siblings until they'd come through for him -- it was something he bragged about to his siblings -- offering to teach them the 'JD method.' MOO

I sincerely believe that the CBD became upset on day one when she traveled to Bloomington, talked to authorities, and learned that another woman -- JD's director, was first to make contact with authorities (via campus police) that her son was missing from campus and a welfare check was in order. As her son's fiercest protector, I don't think CBD has ever recovered from not being first here (and social media trolls have not let the director forget).

It seems to me CBD/family also became defensive from the first day because (I'm speculating here) the school personnel were more aware of JD's prior weeks of struggling than his family was. And this was not because CBD and their family were not extremely close to JD but because he was so very good at hiding it from them.

In the 48 hours that followed, it had to be extremely difficult to learn that JD's vehicle was located (on Aug 26) miles away in Peru -- an area they were already predisposed to distrust and be suspicious of. What followed was learning that JD was seen on surveillance at Beyond Hello -- a dispensary. What pressure, a recipe for disaster, for an important image to uphold!

Leading us to the council hearing -- it's the same list of others to be angry at and blame, while nothing here has produced credible evidence that JD was the victim of a crime resulting in his death. MOO

(RSSM)

Jelani Day case: Family upset FBI looking at 25-year-old's death as possible suicide

I believe the 'trip' being referred to is the purpose for the money being deposited - for a planned vacation/trip on Thanksgiving.
Thanks, @SimplyCass for the clarification.

From the 10/1/2021 MSM link:

BLOOMINGTON, Ill. — The FBI is now involved in the death [investigation] of Illinois graduate student Jelani Day. It is what his family wanted since the day he went missing.

But they are not pleased with how investigators are approaching the case.

[..]

Now, his mother is angry that instead of tracking down suspects, the FBI is looking at Jelani's case as a potential suicide.

I also think it's important to understand that the FBI (behavioral unit) did not put forth the suicide theory in a vacuum. I believe they have very critical information about JD's attendance at school, aggressive driving only days earlier, etc. -- information that we don't have privilege to and the family not talking about. I'm so pleased that investigators recovered JD's body and the family had the opportunity to put him to rest.

My point here is that publicly appearing before the City Council to state they want the FBI to take over is confusing to me given how when the FBI was already contributing and tried to talk to them -- they dismissed the agency. Most recently, the FBI also posted a reward for andy credible information. :confused::confused:

So how will the FBI taking over the death investigation change anything here other than perhaps satisfying a federal link that the civil rights attorney needs prior to pursuing a civil rights violation -- citing hate as the motivation the investigation didn't go a certain direction???

MOO

Last edited:
I sincerely believe that the CBD became upset on day one when she traveled to Bloomington, talked to authorities, and learned that another woman -- JD's director, was first to make contact with authorities (via campus police) that her son was missing from campus and a welfare check was in order. As her son's fiercest protector, I don't think CBD has ever recovered from not being first here (and social media trolls have not let the director forget).

It seems to me CBD/family also became defensive from the first day because (I'm speculating here) the school personnel were more aware of JD's prior weeks of struggling than his family was. And this was not because CBD and their family were not extremely close to JD but because he was so very good at hiding it from them.

In the 48 hours that followed, it had to be extremely difficult to learn that JD's vehicle was located (on Aug 26) miles away in Peru -- an area they were already predisposed to distrust and be suspicious of. What followed was learning that JD was seen on surveillance at Beyond Hello -- a dispensary. What pressure, a recipe for disaster, for an important image to uphold!

Leading us to the council hearing -- it's the same list of others to be angry at and blame, while nothing here has produced credible evidence that JD was the victim of a crime resulting in his death. MOO
CBD and family will not give up their campaign until she finds a legit reason to sue one of the companies or agencies on her list. Their strong arm tactic seems to be failing.

Thanks, @SimplyCass for the clarification.

From the 10/1/2021 MSM link:

BLOOMINGTON, Ill. — The FBI is now involved in the death [investigation] of Illinois graduate student Jelani Day. It is what his family wanted since the day he went missing.

But they are not pleased with how investigators are approaching the case.

[..]

Now, his mother is angry that instead of tracking down suspects, the FBI is looking at Jelani's case as a potential suicide.

I also think it's important to understand that the FBI (behavioral unit) did not put forth the suicide theory in a vacuum. I believe they have very critical information about JD's attendance at school, aggressive driving only days earlier, etc. -- information that we don't have privilege to and the family not talking about. I'm so pleased that investigators recovered JD's body and the family had the opportunity to put him to rest.

My point here is that publicly appearing before the City Council to state they want the FBI to take over is confusing to me given how when the FBI was already contributing and tried to talk to them -- they dismissed the agency. Most recently, the FBI also posted a reward for andy credible information. :confused::confused:

So how will the FBI taking over the death investigation change anything here other than perhaps satisfying a federal link that the civil rights attorney needs prior to pursuing the hate incident lawsuit???

MOO
Does CBD have information she is holding back that is supporting her adamant conviction that Jelani was killed due to a hate crime?
Or does she have person(s) in interest she wants to share only with the FBI?

^^rsbm
I'm not familiar with the "trip" you are referencing.

At the time JD disappeared, I recall he shared with CBD that he repaid his aunt c/o of his mom by depositing the funds in mom's bank account. Do I have that wrong? Also, I think it long understood that JD's pattern of funding his own travel was to badger his mom or siblings until they'd come through for him -- it was something he bragged about to his siblings -- offering to teach them the 'JD method.' MOO

Yes, I'm referring to the Thanksgiving/Aunt Ruby money. He wasn't repaying her, they were collecting from each family member that wanted to go (to the Airbnb) He had been to his cousin's in Chicago on the weekend before he disappeared.

Does CBD have information she is holding back that is supporting her adamant conviction that Jelani was killed due to a hate crime?
Or does she have person(s) in interest she wants to share only with the FBI?

I can't imagine any parent would withhold information from LE -- especially if they beleive their child was murdered.

I also don't think CBI has any criminal evidence-- hate or otherwise. I believe that without criminal charges in the disappearance and death of JD, the only remaining strategy left to pursue action would be some form of civil rights lawsuit -- perhaps citing individuals who somehow interfered in this investigation -- citing"hate" as the motivation. There's been a long list of accused-- almost from the beginning. MOO

Ben Crump is a recognized civil rights attorney.

Ben Crump - Trial Lawyer for Justice

Hate crime laws in the United States - Wikipedia

I can't imagine any parent would withhold information from LE -- especially if they beleive believe their child was murdered.

I also don't think CBI CBD has any criminal evidence-- hate or otherwise. I believe that without criminal charges in the disappearance and death of JD, the only remaining strategy left to pursue action would be some form of civil rights lawsuit -- perhaps citing individuals who somehow interfered in this investigation -- citing"hate" as the motivation. There's been a long list of accused-- almost from the beginning. MOO

Ben Crump is a recognized civil rights attorney.

Ben Crump - Trial Lawyer for Justice

Hate crime laws in the United States - Wikipedia

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member