Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
ETA Newly started thread for one mp, 16, and re post of other mp, both referenced in this article.
AZ - AZ - Daniel Robinson, 24, remote job site, Buckeye, 23 Jun 2021

CO - CO- Xavion Smith, 16, Aurora, 6 September 2021
210922-missing-black-men-2x1-se-200p.jpg

Jelani Day, Daniel Robinson and Xavion Smith.Bloomington, Ill., Buckeye, Ariz., Aurora, Colo. police departments
rbbm.
Families of missing Black men plead for police accountability
''On Thursday, the LaSalle County Coroner identified a body found earlier this month as Jelani Day, 25, of Bloomington, Illinois. The body was found floating near the south bank of the Illinois River on Sept. 4, law enforcement officials said. The cause of death is unknown, pending further investigation and toxicology testing.''

''Bloomington police said the department "empathizes with Jelani Day's family and support them in their emotions," adding that they were working with several organizations in their investigation.

"We still are collecting leads, but at this point, we have done a bulk of the investigation," police said in a statement. "It is not a cold case by any means; however, the leads are starting to dry up. We appreciate the national coverage this case has been getting, and we hope that translates to good information being provided to us."

Jelani Day’s mother, Carmen Day, told "Dateline" after his disappearance: “I call him my ‘bill collector child.' Because he just calls me and calls me, nonstop, several times a day. So to not hear from him in a week is very unlike him. Something’s not right.”

Last edited:
So sad. I fear an online connection of some sort, a meeting like he was maybe "catfished." Such a heartbreaking outcome. I had hoped he had just gone somewhere due to school pressure.

Horrible. Such a bright, beautiful, and beloved human being. Hope the FBI can help give answers and justice but that is such cold comfort after this loss. Right now just sending love to the Day family and everyone who loved JJ.

Oh it's so sad to see this ending for Jelani. The wait for identification must have been agonizing for the family.

JMO I'm not leaning toward suicide because I keep going back to the license plate(s) being removed from the car. I'm thinking someone else who was there took that plate, not to make it hard to ID since the vehicle VIN serial number would be inside and easily traced, but probably to put on another vehicle.

This interview with his mom is from 9/20

New info to me... His wallet was found, prior to the unidentified body being found. It was found on some street by an individual (unknown to Mrs day) who claims to have seen another person drop the wallet
.. May have been wearing a red shirt or red shorts.. But they didn't tell the police until several day after the wallet was found. His lanyard with school ID was found close to the river where the body was found.

Jelani Day's Mother Speaks To Newsy About His Disappearance
He could have seen JJ drop it. Unless LE has more information this really looks like he took his own life. Sadly our young adults are carrying stressors / anxieties that others don’t see. The only thing that puzzles me a little is the license plate, however every thing else to me from calling his mother because he wanted to hear her voice to his clothes found by the river points to suicide.

This is so sad really. The suicide theory of this is so troubling considering he seemed to be a young man trying to go somewhere in life as opposed to hustling the streets. As it has been said here, who were his friends reasonably assuming he had some. Social life? Girlfriend? Boyfriend (and I'm not being facetious here)? Was he a loner struggling with something? If so, did his mom know and she just didn't want to see it or address it? What? Lastly, also crying foul that it took this long to identify his body. FOUL!

Last edited:
Unless LE has more information this really looks like he took his own life. Sadly our young adults are carrying stressors / anxieties that others don’t see. The only thing that puzzles me a little is the license plate, however every thing else to me from calling his mother because he wanted to hear her voice to his clothes found by the river points to suicide.

The mother has stated in interviews that it was normal for Jelani to end the call with "I just wanted to hear your voice." IMO it's not an unusual way to wrap up a call. "Anyway, just wanted to hear your voice. Love you, bye!"

I am leaning more toward foul play than suicide.

His mom said he had two As and two Bs already but I can’t see how; it was the third class meeting

I believe that grad program's first semester begins in the summer, so fall semester would have been his 2nd semester. The ISU president confirmed that in his letter addressing Jelani's death: "Jelani...was a well-liked and well-respected Illinois State University graduate student. He joined his graduate program this summer and his impact on the campus community was immediate – he is remembered as kind, intelligent, and caring."

I know many are angry that it took 18 days to identify the body, but IMO that is a pretty standard amount of time, especially considering the body was likely in the water for almost 2 weeks in very hot temperatures before it was discovered. ID'ing a body via dental records doesn't simply involve comparing X-rays. Sometimes it may, but depending on the individual, it isn't always that easy. Often it involves extracting DNA from the dental pulp. DNA testing usually takes several weeks, which falls in line with the 18 days it took for Jelani's ID. Add in the fact that they were dealing with a shortage of a chemical required for the testing, and 18 days doesn't seem so bad.

Obviously every minute of waiting was torture for the family, and I feel for them. I am devastated for Jelani and his family. Seeing "found deceased" when I went to check on the thread this evening was so terrible to read. I hope the cause of death can be determined and in the meantime police are able to solve this sad case.

He could have seen JJ drop it. Unless LE has more information this really looks like he took his own life. Sadly our young adults are carrying stressors / anxieties that others don’t see. The only thing that puzzles me a little is the license plate, however every thing else to me from calling his mother because he wanted to hear her voice to his clothes found by the river points to suicide.

I believe his clothes were in the car 25 minutes away, not by the river. Unless I missed something.

The mother has stated in interviews that it was normal for Jelani to end the call with "I just wanted to hear your voice." IMO it's not an unusual way to wrap up a call. "Anyway, just wanted to hear your voice. Love you, bye!"

I am leaning more toward foul play than suicide.

I believe that grad program's first semester begins in the summer, so fall semester would have been his 2nd semester. The ISU president confirmed that in his letter addressing Jelani's death: "Jelani...was a well-liked and well-respected Illinois State University graduate student. He joined his graduate program this summer and his impact on the campus community was immediate – he is remembered as kind, intelligent, and caring."

I know many are angry that it took 18 days to identify the body, but IMO that is a pretty standard amount of time, especially considering the body was likely in the water for almost 2 weeks in very hot temperatures before it was discovered. ID'ing a body via dental records doesn't simply involve comparing X-rays. Sometimes it may, but depending on the individual, it isn't always that easy. Often it involves extracting DNA from the dental pulp. DNA testing usually takes several weeks, which falls in line with the 18 days it took for Jelani's ID. Add in the fact that they were dealing with a shortage of a chemical required for the testing, and 18 days doesn't seem so bad.

Obviously every minute of waiting was torture for the family, and I feel for them. I am devastated for Jelani and his family. Seeing "found deceased" when I went to check on the thread this evening was so terrible to read. I hope the cause of death can be determined and in the meantime police are able to solve this sad case.
I understand, I go back and forth. JJ was a nice size for a young man 6’2 he would of had to have gone by force. It appears his missing the morning meeting and going to the dispensary was of his own will, I guess that’s why I’m thinking suicide. I hope either way they figure it out for the family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raindrop413