Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Per his mom, authorities have had this video since (at least) Aug. 27 (!!!!) when they showed her the video or screenshots of it, asking her if the man in the video was Jelani.

She would have been justified in her anger and frustration no matter what, but now I really understand where that's coming from and why... They have had this video for a month!!

Vehicles registered in IL by law must have both a front plate and a back plate. If the vehicle was registered in AL, it would make sense for there to only be a back plate. But if it was registered in IL (it seems like it was, as they say "Illinois plates"), it would be illegal/extremely odd to not have a front plate.

I could be wrong but it appeared to me that JD had just graduated from A&M and a new enrollee in the summer graduate program in IL. I don't think it would be odd if JD just purchased the 2010 Chrysler or recently transferred the registration from Alabama to Illinois.

For some reason, LE was first to suggest from the beginning that the plate(s) on the vehicle may have been missing and why I caught that missing plate(s) was not likely nefarious.

And I don't think the vehicle plates will prove relevant in this death -- esp since the vehicle was found overnight or by Thursday afternoon. MOO

Some people in the comments are suggesting that this man is the "guy in shorts and hat on CCTV" (im assuming they mean the still pics released from the dispensary CCTV?) due to the shoes and hat. I'm pretty sure the guy at the dispensary was confirmed to be JJ though, you can see his entire lower face and I'm guessing his ID/card was scanned there for verification and purchase.
Also, shoes are different - guy in newly released video has white laces and more white on the side, while JJ was seen wearing mostly black shoes with black laces.
upload_2021-9-25_11-51-12.pngupload_2021-9-25_11-52-22.png

I understand JJ's mother's frustration, but from the legal side of it, I can understand why this was not released back when it was first found.
PD likely received this footage due to time/proximity to where his car was found (I'm guessing thats where this took place? considering car found on 26th and this shown to mum on 27th), and thought the man might be Jelani just due to his appearance. I doubt they saw anything else 'suspicious' on video. When mom confirmed this wasn't Jelani, he was just a random citizen who was uninvolved in the case, just physically in the area, and there would be no legal reason to release his image.
Now that Jelani's body has been found and foul play is now on the table, this man can be treated as a potential witness (I doubt he's considered a POI or anything like that) due to his proximity to the location and his behavior. Perhaps he saw something strange and half-heartedly tried to use a neighbor's phone if he doesn't have a cell? idk

New info, Jelani went to a cannabis dispensary on the morning of Aug 24 after leaving ISU.

Police said they've obtained surveillance video, and are now releasing still photos from that video, of Day entering Beyond/Hello, a cannabis dispensary at 1515 North Veterans Parkway.

The video shows Day at the store Tuesday, August 24, at 9:12 a.m. Earlier, police released surveillance photos of Day at ISU's Bone Student Center that same morning about 7:20 a.m.

XDRRvTcM-IL_Bloom_Front-Exterior_20210824_091223-1.jpg

qtBR86B0-IL_Bloom_Front-Door_20210824_091253.jpg

Band-Tee-Shirt.jpg

Bloomington Police release more photos of missing ISU graduate student

I'm trying to piece together the timeline of Tuesday, August 24, 2021.
Jelani appears at the student center at 7:20am dressed professionally so he must have been scheduled to see a client in the campus Speech-Language Pathology clinic on that day.
He had plans to meet with the Dir. of Clinical Education that morning also, but he did not show up.
He also missed a class that day and did not show up to see the client in the clinic.
On 9:12am on that same day he is seen dressed casually at a cannabis dispensary in Bloomington. He would have had to change his clothes back to professional dress before seeing the client at the campus clinic (not sure of the appointment time).
I don't know the time of his appointment with the faculty member, the time of his class or the time of the clinic appointment.

I am very familiar with graduate programs in Speech-Language Pathology and not showing up for a meeting with a faculty member and not showing up to see a clinic client are major infractions which could very possibly get one thrown out of a graduate program.
JMO but I don't believe that Jelani would have jeopardized his future career plans lightly.

I hope that LE has been able to find out who Jelani communicated with on Monday and Tuesday, August 23 & 24 as I believe that would answer a number of questions.
JMO but I do not believe this is a case of suicide.

I understand JJ's mother's frustration, but from the legal side of it, I can understand why this was not released back when it was first found.
PD likely received this footage due to time/proximity to where his car was found (I'm guessing thats where this took place? considering car found on 26th and this shown to mum on 27th), and thought the man might be Jelani just due to his appearance. I doubt they saw anything else 'suspicious' on video. When mom confirmed this wasn't Jelani, he was just a random citizen who was uninvolved in the case, just physically in the area, and there would be no legal reason to release his image.
Now that Jelani's body has been found and foul play is now on the table, this man can be treated as a potential witness (I doubt he's considered a POI or anything like that) due to his proximity to the location and his behavior. Perhaps he saw something strange and half-heartedly tried to use a neighbor's phone if he doesn't have a cell? idk

Per Peru Pd - "the individual in the video is A person of interest relating to a matter under investigation by PPD"

The Find Jelani FB page shared a post originally put out by the Peru PD seeking to identify a man seen in two surveillance video clips, he knocks on the door of a residential home and walks away.. Per the Jelani page, "He could be a critical piece to finding out what happened to Jelani''.

This is from the Peru, Ind PD.
Do we know what the date is on this video?

I guess but IMO this man looks absolutely nothing like Jelani.

I can understand what you're saying but I don't think this is just some guy who was in the area and now maybe might be a witness. I am thinking there is something more concrete linking him to something of JJ's -- the car or the wallet possibly.

I'm trying to piece together the timeline of Tuesday, August 24, 2021.
Jelani appears at the student center at 7:20am dressed professionally so he must have been scheduled to see a client in the campus Speech-Language Pathology clinic on that day.
He had plans to meet with the Dir. of Clinical Education that morning also, but he did not show up.
He also missed a class that day and did not show up to see the client in the clinic.
On 9:12am on that same day he is seen dressed casually at a cannabis dispensary in Bloomington. He would have had to change his clothes back to professional dress before seeing the client at the campus clinic (not sure of the appointment time).
I don't know the time of his appointment with the faculty member, the time of his class or the time of the clinic appointment.

I am very familiar with graduate programs in Speech-Language Pathology and not showing up for a meeting with a faculty member and not showing up to see a clinic client are major infractions which could very possibly get one thrown out of a graduate program.
JMO but I don't believe that Jelani would have jeopardized his future career plans lightly.

I hope that LE has been able to find out who Jelani communicated with on Monday and Tuesday, August 23 & 24 as I believe that would answer a number of questions.
JMO but I do not believe this is a case of suicide.
Please look back to the actual interview with the program director -- JD's appointment and patient clinic was on Weds and not Tuesday. Director helped report JD missing to LE on Weds and his vehicle located on Thursday. MOO

On September 3rd "The Peru Police Department asked the community to look at security cameras from Tuesday, Aug. 24 from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. and from Wednesday, Aug. 25 from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. for a Black man walking along Airport/Chartres Streets and/or a white Chrysler 300 with a black roof."

The next day, Sept 4th was when they conducted the search that led to discovery of body, later determined to be Jelani. But on that same day, J's family and community organized a search looking for surveillance video.

Now, trying to put pieces together...
Police believed something happened to Jelani and he was not in possession of his vehicle. The man in the surveillance video that was just released was shown to Mrs. Day on or before 8/27 and she confirmed it wasn't him (this was a day after car was found abandoned). LE statement on the 3rd they were looking for video of 'a black man walking along Airport /Charters and/or the Chrysler'..
The following day family was searching that area for more video.

The above is just MOO and does nothing to shed light on the actual crime but more sketches out what information Jelani's mom was receiving (and at what time) and what information authorities had and when .. and her frustration over what wasn't done.

Please look back to the actual interview with the program director -- JD's appointment and patient clinic was on Weds and not Tuesday. Director helped report JD missing to LE on Weds and his vehicle located on Thursday. MOO

Thanks for the info.
I didn't realize there was an interview with the Clinic Dir.
That makes a lot more sense than Jelani just not showing up because it would be an extremely tight timeline.

The Find Jelani FB page shared a post originally put out by the Peru PD seeking to identify a man seen in two surveillance video clips, he knocks on the door of a residential home and walks away.. Per the Jelani page, "He could be a critical piece to finding out what happened to Jelani''.

Do we know if this video been put out publicly by the PeruPD?

Did the Peru PD say what is the "matter under investigation?"

Does it have anything to do with Jelani's case?
It may or may not. If someone has info, they are supposed to call the Peru PD.

My hunch is there may have been other encounters with his individual, but not caught on camera. Police probably don't know who this person is.

They're hoping someone recognizes him.

Yes, it was put out by the Peru PD.

Actually, I think JJ was supposed to meet on Tuesday, not Wdnesday.

ISU faculty member, who reported Jelani Day's disappearance, says it's 'unlike him'

Director of Clinical Education [CB] said she texted Day Monday night about his coursework, but that's the last she heard from him.
"He was actually suppose to come see me the next morning," B said.

"When he didn't show up, I texted to see what was going on and he didn't answer me. I knew he had class at 1 p.m., so I waited for him after class and he didn't show up," she said.

The wording suggests that the "next morning" was Tuesday, not Wednesday. He had class on Tuesday, at 1 p.m., so the appointment was earlier that day.

But maybe another interview contradicts that?

Actually, I think JJ was supposed to meet on Tuesday, not Wdnesday.

ISU faculty member, who reported Jelani Day's disappearance, says it's 'unlike him'

Director of Clinical Education [CB] said she texted Day Monday night about his coursework, but that's the last she heard from him.
"He was actually suppose to come see me the next morning," B said.

"When he didn't show up, I texted to see what was going on and he didn't answer me. I knew he had class at 1 p.m., so I waited for him after class and he didn't show up," she said.

The wording suggests that the "next morning" was Tuesday, not Wednesday. He had class on Tuesday, at 1 p.m., so the appointment was earlier that day.

But maybe another interview contradicts that?

This is confusing.
The article is definite about the meeting being Tuesday morning.
The embedded video does not explicitly mention Tuesday morning, just the "next morning."
The faculty member mentions she knew he "had class at 1pm," which sounds like MWF class schedule (not T/Th).

Just from my observation of BPD social media and news releases, I get the impression they work more behind the scenes and only share new details when they are needing information. Might be why we aren't getting more information on if they found more personal items and etc. JMO

BPD has been fairly consistent since initial reporting that Jelani was missing under, "unexplained suspicious circumstances." I understand why some departments operate this way, but I can't imagine how frustrating it is for the family to feel like nothing is happening. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Angelinazoomazooma