Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jelani Day case: Family upset FBI looking at 25-year-old's death as possible suicide
The FBI is now involved in the death of Illinois graduate student Jelani Day. It is what his family wanted since the day he went missing.

But they are not pleased with how investigators are approaching the case.

"Right now we have more questions than answers. And we need to start getting some answers for our questions before we know the next steps," said Day family attorney Hallie Bezner.

Jelani Day case: Family upset FBI looking at 25-year-old's death as possible suicide
Just went to the “Justice for Jelani Day” Facebook page and noticed something:

Posted by the page 12 hrs ago:
“From Jelani's mom, Carmen.

THIS ARTICLE IS INCORRECT....

I HAVE NOT SPOKEN TO ANYONE IN THE FBI... NOBODY
I HAVE MADE MY STATEMENTS PLAIN, CLEAR, AND CONCISE. TO BE MISQUOTED LIKE THIS IS INSULTING!!

AGAIN, THE NARRATIVE THAT JELANI WOULD DO ANYTHING TO HIMSELF CAME FROM AND WAS INFERRED BY PERU AND BLOOMINGTON POLICE DEPARTMENT...

AGAIN, I NEED HELP FROM THE @FBI FBI – Federal Bureau of Investigation AND I HAVE YET TO SPEAK TO ANYONE FROM THE FBI!!”

From one mom to another, I wish Ms. Bolden-Day peace and comfort. This is so hard.

My gut feeling is that the community felt the silence after his death had to do with race. So I figured that’s why FBI called in by police.

Protest to call on FBI investigation into disappearance of Jelani Day
Alabama A&M University (AAMU) graduate Jelani Day has been missing for nearly a month, and with his disappearance getting national attention, a protest planned for Saturday demanding the FBI get involved.
A protest that has been planned for Saturday at the Uptown Circle in Normal, Illinois, was requested by Day’s family to demand the FBI get involved with the investigation.
Protest to call on FBI investigation into disappearance of Jelani Day | WHNT.com

Protest to call on FBI investigation into disappearance of Jelani Day
Alabama A&M University (AAMU) graduate Jelani Day has been missing for nearly a month, and with his disappearance getting national attention, a protest planned for Saturday demanding the FBI get involved.
A protest that has been planned for Saturday at the Uptown Circle in Normal, Illinois, was requested by Day’s family to demand the FBI get involved with the investigation.
Protest to call on FBI investigation into disappearance of Jelani Day | WHNT.com

And here lies the problem with this entire protest and cry for FBI to investigate: JD's body was recovered from the river on Sept 4. The family knew a black male was recovered near the location of his vehicle although not formally identified until Sept 24. Investigation on "the missing JD" naturally slowed down because authorities believed JJ was no longer missing. Although his body recovered, mom didn't want to believe it was her son, and the pressure to use Gabby's case and coverage was launched. This is a terrible tragedy and I hope his family is not being exploited here. The only question I have is why the crime lab was slow to identify JD. Was the family slow in providing DNA?

Jelani Day's Body Is Identified A Month After The Grad Student Went Missing

And here lies the problem with this entire protest and cry for FBI to investigate: JD's body was recovered from the river on Sept 4. The family knew a black male was recovered near the location of his vehicle although not formally identified until Sept 24. Investigation on "the missing JD" naturally slowed down because authorities believed JJ was no longer missing. Although his body recovered, mom didn't want to believe it was her son, and the pressure to use Gabby's case and coverage was launched. This is a terrible tragedy and I hope his family is not being exploited here. The only question I have is why the crime lab was slow to identify JD. Was the family slow in providing DNA?

Not sure what you mean by family being exploited. Exploited by who?

Not sure what you mean by family being exploited. Exploited by who?

From the link, a protest was being planned for Saturday, Sept 25 which was 19 days after JD's body recovered from the river. Exploited by whoever leading the protest that JD was missing and that his missing person investigation was not getting equal coverage (JD was formally identified 9/24).

It seems to me that JD's vehicle and body recovered within 10 days of the missing person being reported. Clearly, this discovery was not the result of police ignoring his case.

This is no different than Iowa's 10 yr old X Harrelson missing for four months. A body and clothing matching the description of XH was recovered in a soybean field on 9/30, his parents notified, although it's being reported that positive identification might take a month or longer. MOO

Exploited? There is well-documented evidence of the systemic racism present within LE and media coverage of POC. If the family says they are being treated unfairly, I believe it. There is a tremendous amount of historical oppression and trauma in interactions with LE that informs that fear.

From the link, a protest was being planned for Saturday, Sept 25 which was 19 days after JD's body recovered from the river. Exploited by whoever leading the protest that JD was missing and that his missing person investigation was not getting equal coverage (JD was formally identified 9/24).

It seems to me that JD's vehicle and body recovered within 10 days of the missing person being reported. Clearly, this discovery was not the result of police ignoring his case.

This is no different than Iowa's 10 yr old X Harrelson missing for four months. A body and clothing matching the description of XH was recovered in a soybean field on 9/30, his parents notified, although it's being reported that positive identification might take a month or longer. MOO
Gotcha. Thanks.

Jelani Day’s death should be investigated by feds, Alabama A&M fraternity brothers say
Updated: Oct. 01, 2021, 8:55 a.m. | Published: Oct. 01, 2021, 8:55 a.m.
The fraternity brothers of an Alabama A&M graduate whose body was discovered in Illinois last month are calling for federal and state authorities to lead the investigation into his death.

Members of the Nu Epsilon Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity at Alabama A&M have created an online petition calling for action in the case of Jelani Day. A protest last month also called for federal involvement.

Jelani Day’s death should be investigated by feds, Alabama A&M fraternity brothers say

I only recall reports from early on stating the body was male, not a black male.

Not sure who was applying pressure to use Gabbys case. Pretty sure Jelani's family saw the discrepancy happening in real time on their own and it was their own frustration (along with community and supporters). I think many Families of missing loved ones are feeling some additional upset seeing the Gabby coverage when their loved one receives so little. Who is exploiting the Day family?

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

His clothes that he was wearing at the dispensary were found in the car, not on his person. I don't think we've been told what (if anything) he was found to be wearing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exploited? There is well-documented evidence of the systemic racism present within LE and media coverage of POC. If the family says they are being treated unfairly, I believe it. There is a tremendous amount of historical oppression and trauma in interactions with LE that informs that fear.

While i think "exploitation" is probably the wrong word for it, there are confusing, contradictory comments coming out that make me wonder who is speaking for who and what JJ's family is really saying.

For instance, the article about the family being upset about the FBI treating the case as a potential suicide only quotes the lawyer; but then according to the FB Justice for Jelani page, the mother has said she hasn't spoken to the FBI. Is the family upset about this specific development (that the FBI is investigating it as a suicide) or is the lawyer saying something that isn't quite correct?

This case gets more and more confusing the more i try to make sense of it.

Edit: the article does have a quote from the mother but it doesn't specifically mention the FBI-treating-it-as-suicide development, only generally about her saying that JJ wasn't depressed and had plans.

The petition’s creators say Bloomington, Ill. police have shown an “inability” to handle the case.

Specifically, they point to a Sept. 24 news conference on the case where a police spokesman said the lead investigator was “overwhelmed,” requiring other officers to be randomly assigned to the case.

They also pointed to the three weeks it took to identify the body.

Justice for Jelani Day #WhatHappenedtoJelani

BBM

While i think "exploitation" is probably the wrong word for it, there are confusing, contradictory comments coming out that make me wonder who is speaking for who and what JJ's family is really saying.

For instance, the article about the family being upset about the FBI treating the case as a potential suicide only quotes the lawyer; but then according to the FB Justice for Jelani page, the mother has said she hasn't spoken to the FBI. Is the family upset about this specific development (that the FBI is investigating it as a suicide) or is the lawyer saying something that isn't quite correct?

This case gets more and more confusing the more i try to make sense of it.

Edit: the article does have a quote from the mother but it doesn't specifically mention the FBI-treating-it-as-suicide development, only generally about her saying that JJ wasn't depressed and had plans.
I think the lawyer is saying something that isn’t correct. Why would the FBI make such a statement when the investigation is not complete?

As a local, I will say that police don’t seem to put a ton of effort into missing person cases around this area. I see it over and over again where victim’s families say that have to do most of the work themselves. The only case I ever saw a ton of effort was the missing boy, Timothy pitzen, whose mother committed suicide in rockford. I even wonder, how the heck does gabby’s case receive constant headlines every single day…while everyone else gets nothing. It’s very frustrating.

with this case, I could see suicide being a possibility based on some of the weird clues…but I certainly hope police don’t just say ‘suicide’ to make it easier on themselves.

This case is very perplexing.

What was he doing in Peru, IL?

His wallet and other personal items found in LaSalle, a few blocks from where the car was found.

Why did he go to the school early on 8/24 and then miss 2 meetings? This was unusual for him according to faculty.

Why were his clothes removed?

Who removed the license plate from his vehicle?

Lots of things are not adding up.

I feel so bad for his family. The not knowing is excruciating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Let the light shine