IL IL - Judith Anderson, 15, Chicago, 16 Aug 1957

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Where is Barry Cook now? Is he still alive? Is a he a viable suspect re the Grimes girls? Did they ever dig up the cement to find her clothes?

Not suggesting anything of the sort; I am barely familiar with the real facts of the matter. I'm just discussing common phenomena in cases where a person or persons may have come under suspicion for a length of time, and, say, then retained the services of a high-powered attorney who might insist that a suspect either be charged, or cleared.

In Chicago, especially in days gone by, one's alderman or ward boss could assist in a number of matters.
Or in recent days gone by all you had to do was know the governor.... take your pick of the ones currently in Illinois DOC.

The lie dectector tests the family took must have been convincing to police.

That is one hard-looking, sinister family. I wouldn't trust nary a one of them. I have no doubt they were involved.

Where is Barry Cook now? Is he still alive? Is a he a viable suspect re the Grimes girls? Did they ever dig up the cement to find her clothes?

Is there a photo of Barry Zander Cook? I have a strange story - my mother was married to a man (now divorced) - he has the same middle name and same last name but a different first name. He's originally from Chicago. She is in a nursing home and as I've been cleaning out and going through her things I came across a couple of letters between my mother and another lady, who informed my mom that my mother's then husband's first name was not as stated but rather his first name was Barry - which means his name is/was Barry Zander Cook. I am about 99% sure it's the same person because my mother shared that he had spent time in prison for rape when he was younger. I will say we were surprised she married this man because he was very different and even more surprised when we learned that.

So I asked last night when visiting my mother if she knew that X's name was Barry - she said she did and that she knew about his criminal history but that "he had paid his debt to society." While my children and my brother's children are grown, I feel sick and very angry (knowing what I know now about him) that she brought him around our children and family.

I never post, but wanted you to know that I feel so bad for you learning this information.

Maybe your mother didn’t understand the extent of the crimes he served prison time for ... or had no knowledge of his suspected connection to the murder of Judith or other victims. She only had his story to go on and believed it.

Guessing she didn’t marry him recently, so she was not afforded the ability to google him and read what you have no doubt read. All that said . . .

I understand how upsetting it must be that this person was in your family for any length of time. It has to be devastating to connect the dots and learn this someone you knew and that was intimately involved with your family, even your children, is really THAT person!

May not help, but I would think that if you found any evidence, even the slightest, among your mother’s belongings that belong to Cook (for DNA) or any clues to his activities or whereabouts before, during or after their marriage, you hang on to it. That are how cold cases and the unsolved get justice these days.

Thinking of you. Wishing you the best. And because I do, praying for peace.

I never post, but wanted you to know that I feel so bad for you learning this information.

Maybe your mother didn’t understand the extent of the crimes he served prison time for ... or had no knowledge of his suspected connection to the murder of Judith or other victims. She only had his story to go on and believed it.

Guessing she didn’t marry him recently, so she was not afforded the ability to google him and read what you have no doubt read. All that said . . .

I understand how upsetting it must be that this person was in your family for any length of time. It has to be devastating to connect the dots and learn this someone you knew and that was intimately involved with your family, even your children, is really THAT person!

May not help, but I would think that if you found any evidence, even the slightest, among your mother’s belongings that belong to Cook (for DNA) or any clues to his activities or whereabouts before, during or after their marriage, you hang on to it. That are how cold cases and the unsolved get justice these days.

Thinking of you. Wishing you the best. And because I do, praying for peace.

Thank you both for your well wishes and your prayers. They divorced in the early 90's. The frustrating thing besides the obvious is that we all (everyone in the family) thought something was off and brought it up to her over and over again and she dismissed it. Because he's still alive and because he knows where all of my mom's family lives, I've been asked not to address it with her again because they fear she'll call him. He's clearly not someone we want back in our lives. Thanks again!

Very good point. She wasn't. The Abbatacola brother, Nick, did have a juvenile court rap sheet for molesting a young boy. Another brother evidently had trouble accounting for his movements during the night in question. I got the feeling that something had gone horribly wrong at the family's house, and Judith Mae was killed before sexual intercourse could take place. Then came the need to dispose of the body.
Seemed to be politically and morally of the time to report bodies weren’t “molested” when they indeed were. Anyone following the Grimes sisters cases would be familiar with the controversy.

So I asked last night when visiting my mother if she knew that X's name was Barry - she said she did and that she knew about his criminal history but that "he had paid his debt to society." While my children and my brother's children are grown, I feel sick and very angry (knowing what I know now about him) that she brought him around our children and family.
No disrespect.
Did your mom ever mention his developmental defect so to speak ?

Last edited:
Because a directory with her name written found in the lake at the time of the body discovery has anyone ever thought of Charles Melquist as a possible suspect. Bonnie Leigh Scott, The Grimes sisters and Andersen happened all around the same time. All the same age; all with “reputations” this guy got around.
THE MURDER OF BONNIE LEIGH SCOTT — American Hauntings

He lawyered up. His lawyer was pretty infamous, Robert McDonnell.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NaniMom
Back