IL - Kenneka Jenkins, 19, found dead in hotel freezer, Rosemont, 10 Sept 2017 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Timeline

• 11:30 p.m. Friday. Kenneka Jenkins leaves her West Side home to go to a party with friends in a hotel room at the Crowne Plaza Chicago O'Hare Hotel & Conference Center in Rosemont, according to her mother, Tereasa Martin.

• 1:30 a.m. Saturday. Jenkins' sister speaks to Jenkins by phone. The family says that's the last time they hear from her.

• 1:36 a.m. Saturday. A livestream video on Facebook appears to show the hotel room on the ninth floor where the party is being held. The video — which has gotten more than 4 million views — features a woman in mirrored sunglasses talking to the camera. Reflected in her glasses is the other side of the hotel room, where Jenkins appears to be sitting.

• 3:20 a.m. Saturday. Jenkins is seen on surveillance video "staggering" drunk near the front desk, according to authorities. The family says they aren't told about this until 10 p.m. that night.

• 4 a.m. Saturday. Jenkins' friends call her mother to say they lost track of Jenkins at the hotel. The friends say they are in the car Martin lent her daughter for the night, and they have Jenkins' cellphone, according to Martin.

• 5 a.m. Saturday. Jenkins' family go to the hotel looking for her. Martin says hotel staff told her they needed a missing persons report from police before they could start reviewing surveillance video. Martin calls Rosemont police and is told to wait a few hours before filing the report. They file the report later that morning.

• 1:15 p.m. Saturday. Police notify the hotel about the missing teen and a search begins on the ninth floor and the public areas of the hotel, according to Rosemont police.

• 3-4 p.m. Saturday. Jenkins' mother said she doesn't believe the hotel began reviewing surveillance video until the middle of the afternoon.

• 6 p.m. Saturday. Frustrated with the search, relatives say they begin knocking on room doors to see if any guests know anything. The hotel calls police to complain about the knocking. Martin said one of the responding officers agrees to view the surveillance video again.

• 10 p.m. Saturday. Police tell the family that Jenkins has been spotted on video from around 3:20 a.m. that day.

• 12:25 a.m. Sunday. Jenkins is discovered in a walk-in freezer in a vacant area of the hotel. She had been missing nearly 24 hours.

Kenneka Jenkins' death strikes chord with amateur sleuths, police critics
• 12:48 a.m. Sunday. Jenkins is pronounced dead, according to the Cook County medical examiner's office. The cause of death remains undetermined after an autopsy the next day, pending further studies and investigation.

• Around 5 a.m. Sunday. Martin is allowed to see her daughter's body. She says the body had been removed from the freezer, which appeared to have been defrosted. “Her hair had soaking water up on there," she told reporters.

What We Don't Know

• What Jenkins was doing between the time she left home at 11:30 p.m. Friday and the time the video began around 1:35 a.m. Saturday.

• Who was in the hotel room. Police have not said how many were in the room and whether Jenkins knew all or most of them.

• What witnesses have told police about what went on in the room. Do they contradict each other? Jenkins' mother has said her friends’ stories about what happened have changed. Is anyone considered a suspect?

• Whether Jenkins left alone or with someone, and whether anyone else was with her at the front desk.

• Who finally found Jenkins? How? Police have not said whether video shows her entering the freezer or whether there was anyone with her.

Tribune coverage of Kenneka Jenkins' death
• We don't know how Jenkins died or whether there were signs of trauma. Jenkins' family said they were initially told by police that Jenkins apparently let herself into the freezer while drunk and died inside. But a police spokesman said on Monday that nothing has been ruled out. The medical examiner's office says the cause of death remains undetermined pending further studies and investigation.

• Police initially said the freezer was running at the time, but a spokesman later appeared to back off that comment. It's also unknown whether there was a lever inside that would have allowed Jenkins to get out.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ns-hotel-freezer-timeline-20170912-story.html

[video=youtube;mv1tE2kVXjI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv1tE2kVXjI[/video]

Thank you for posting this. After listening to the intro of the song, I am leaning towards this being a tragic accident after a night of drinking.

I don't know. Perhaps not. But is it not possible that the victim was sexually assaulted while intoxicated/drugged (earlier in the evening) and then afterwards attempted to leave or secure help from the hotel lobby employees? If one of the women worked at the hotel, perhaps she feared for her job and thus aided in a cover up. It's all just speculation, of course. However, there are things which don't add up, and I know what I heard on that video: At 0:25 "We're about to murder somebody." and 2:02 "They stupid, raping her *advertiser censored* back there." "I told you."

There were plenty people in the room from the other videos not just the one with I filming in sunglasses

I don't know. Perhaps not. But is it not possible that the victim was sexually assaulted while intoxicated/drugged (earlier in the evening) and then afterwards attempted to leave or secure help from the hotel lobby employees? If one of the women worked at the hotel, perhaps she feared for her job and thus aided in a cover up. It's all just speculation, of course. However, there are things which don't add up, and I know what I heard on that video: At 0:25 "We're about to murder somebody." and 2:02 "They stupid, raping her *advertiser censored* back there." "I told you."

Is it possible that when no one was stepping up to stop the men who were forcing themselves on her, she realized she would have to take it upon herself to leave the area, and possibly hide. She finds the freezer and thinks it's a good idea, but can't open it after?

Or what if she as burning up from drugs and left the room just to get some fresh air. It's not enough and sees the freezer, wants to cool off for a few min by standing it. She passes out and from all the drugs and booze doesn't even awake until she is too weak to move limbs, unable to even reach to open the door?

Police spokesman Gary Mack told the outlet on Tuesday that detectives have been reviewing Facebook videos posted the night of the party to identify the people who were with the 19-year-old girl.

snipped

Mack told the Daily Herald the case is a "death investigation" and detectives are not ruling anything out, including the possibility of foul play.

Teens who attended the party are continuing to share videos from that night on social media.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/police-track-friends-kenneka-jenkins-article-1.3492699

Is it possible that when no one was stepping up to stop the men who were forcing themselves on her, she realized she would have to take it upon herself to leave the area, and possibly hide. She finds the freezer and thinks it's a good idea, but can't open it after?

Or what if she as burning up from drugs and left the room just to get some fresh air. It's not enough and sees the freezer, wants to cool off for a few min by standing it. She passes out and from all the drugs and booze doesn't even awake until she is too weak to move limbs, unable to even reach to open the door?

BBM I'd like to wait for the tox report first. That's pure speculation. Yes the surveillance supposedly shows Kenneka stumbling around but imo this ≠ "all the drugs and booze" in I's video she says that she's not drunk however when I is smoking the blunt she asked if any influence was put in there so perhaps a drink was spiked or a spliff laced this in no way means that Kenneka had all the drugs and booze but if such an incident occurred it may produce the stumbling that was seen on the surveillance. How would she open the industrial freezer door in the basement from the 9th floor. How did she get down there if in such a state?

This could've been a tragic accident, and nothing more.

But as long as LE have stated they aren't ruling anything out ; and cod is "undetermined"....
If LE are certain this was just an accident--- they need to make it official and stop causing Kenneka's family more grief.

IF foul play happened, it's good that this tragedy is being scrutinized.

My first thought was that she walked into the freezer by herself and passed out/froze before she could let herself out.

Now I'm thinking it's possible she passed out sometime that morning and they (persons at the party) panicked --thinking they'd get into trouble -- and put her into the freezer.

If the Chicago police aren't willing to say this was an accident.... then no one (imo) is being overly suspicious about it.
And it's not a conspiracy if the cod isn't being released.
My guess would be that LE is biding their time and being careful not to spook any possible persons responsible; if she indeed was a victim.

Eta : How did she get downstairs ?
Walked 9 flights down (more, since the freezer was in the basement) ;or took an elevator ?

There HAS to be plenty of surveillance footage of what happened.

The last time we stayed at a hotel was to visit relatives early this summer.
Iirc, there are cams at the landings of stairwells.. particularly where there are doors opening to the outside.
Also more cams at the elevators.

And I wasn't looking for cameras... just noticed them as they're not hidden , but in plain sight... mounted to the walls up near the ceiling.
I'm short-- but even a person say 5'7" might need to get on a stepladder to turn them the other way.

One would think a cop, detective, or PI would want to review any and all footage of that evening.
Never mind what people are saying-- as they could be saying anything--- of greater interest is what the cams show-- or don't show.

Do hotel workers like maids , handyman/electricians , and front desk clerks have access to the sec. cams ?
Would the person at this party have access to the surveillance footage ?
Asking this b/c I really don't know.
:moo:

I have only just started reading about this case today. Truly disturbing. I watched and listened to the 8 minute video on youtube. With the head phones on, you can hear a man say, "We're about to murder somebody." at the 25 second mark. The women laugh it off. But it speaks to premeditation in terms of Kenneka's fate. That's not even getting into the other parts where it sounds like they are talking about her being raped and the sharp high pitched "help me!" that you can hear even without audio engineers adjusting the noise etc. I believe everyone in the room was complicit in what happened. Other rumours and screencaps of phone messages elsewhere seem to imply this was a set up, that someone was paid $200 to get this girl sexually assaulted as some kind of pay back and possibly murdered.

I cannot believe for one second, after having examined the footage and read the various accounts that no foul play happened and it was all a drunken accident. I do hope the police investigate the matter thoroughly and gather enough evidence to hold those responsible accountable for this poor girl's death.
I watched said video, without sound. (Paying attention only to the reflection in the glasses that the girl in front of the camera is wearing)
Got some screen shots... I'm pretty sure that I am seeing what I'm thinking see.
All I had read before watching the video without Sund was that a girl in a red shirt was sitting on the bed.
I know that no one ever sees!the same thing in cases like this, so no reason to lead anyone in any direction.
Hopefully the police are able to verify/authenticate, or dispell what I believe is is going on in the reflection of those glasses!!!
I so want to be wrong!!!

MOO

Sent from my DL1008M using Tapatalk

It's also possible that some stranger saw a drunk girl wandering around alone and took advantage of the situation.

I watched said video, without sound. (Paying attention only to the reflection in the glasses that the girl in front of the camera is wearing)
Got some screen shots... I'm pretty sure that I am seeing what I'm thinking see.
All I had read before watching the video without Sund was that a girl in a red shirt was sitting on the bed.
I know that no one ever sees!the same thing in cases like this, so no reason to lead anyone in any direction.
Hopefully the police are able to verify/authenticate, or dispell what I believe is is going on in the reflection of those glasses!!!
I so want to be wrong!!!

MOO

Sorry if I'm being dense, it's been a long day.. but what do you think you're seeing?

This could've been a tragic accident, and nothing more.

But as long as LE have stated they aren't ruling anything out ; and cod is "undetermined"....
If LE are certain this was just an accident--- they need to make it official and stop causing Kenneka's family more grief.

IF foul play happened, it's good that this tragedy is being scrutinized.

My first thought was that she walked into the freezer by herself and passed out/froze before she could let herself out.

Now I'm thinking it's possible she passed out sometime that morning and they (persons at the party) panicked --thinking they'd get into trouble -- and put her into the freezer.

If the Chicago police aren't willing to say this was an accident.... then no one (imo) is being overly suspicious about it.
And it's not a conspiracy if the cod isn't being released.
My guess would be that LE is biding their time and being careful not to spook any possible persons responsible; if she indeed was a victim.

Eta : How did she get downstairs ?
Walked 9 flights down (more, since the freezer was in the basement) ;or took an elevator ?

There HAS to be plenty of surveillance footage of what happened.

The last time we stayed at a hotel was to visit relatives early this summer.
Iirc, there are cams at the landings of stairwells.. particularly where there are doors opening to the outside.
Also more cams at the elevators.

And I wasn't looking for cameras... just noticed them as they're not hidden , but in plain sight... mounted to the walls up near the ceiling.
I'm short-- but even a person say 5'7" might need to get on a stepladder to turn them the other way.

One would think a cop, detective, or PI would want to review any and all footage of that evening.
Never mind what people are saying-- as they could be saying anything--- of greater interest is what the cams show-- or don't show.

Do hotel workers like maids , handyman/electricians , and front desk clerks have access to the sec. cams ?
Would the person at this party have access to the surveillance footage ?
Asking this b/c I really don't know.
I wonder, if it is foul play, if the freezer was used to try and hide the cause and time of death.

It makes sense that she was seen in the lobby @ 3:20am IF she was in trouble and unable to locate her keys to leave, but she still could have asked to make a call to her mom or 911.

I can see someone putting her in the freezer to "chill out" and then passing out themselves later only to realize that she was still in there.

At any rate, it does seem that someone with knowledge and access to unaccessible areas of the hotel is/are involved.
MOO

Totally off topic here ; but Richard Kuklinski froze his victims and later threw them outside-- so time of death was harder to determine .

If LE comes forward and declares this all an accident-- I'll accept it as such.
But they're remaining fairly tight-lipped.

About that sec. video of her 'staggering'... it could've been alcohol, drugs intentionally taken or 'slipped' to her, or from trauma after being assaulted.
And yes, I think it could've been another hotel guest who found her in a disoriented state. My .02 is that is unlikely, given the time frame.
Plus, the guest would have to have access to the basement under construction-- which should've been an "employees only" area.

(Maybe the police are reviewing hotel footage at this very moment.)
Imo.

Sorry if I'm being dense, it's been a long day.. but what do you think you're seeing?
Sock feet or white shoes, the right foot has something red on the top, a few different guys one wearing Blue Jeans, wearing a sleeveless shirt, one shirtless
This person in the red shirt slumped on the side of the bed.
Like I said, people never see the same thing.
MOO

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
ETA: I have the time stamps if anyone wants them, but I have to run out now. I'll be back before 10pm.

If a hotel guest took advantage of her... I doubt they'd know where the freezer was in the basement, or how to access areas only available to hotel employees.
So, that's an unlikely scenario.

Perhaps if someone could find the actual Chief Keef song played on the (then) live video, it could be cleared up whether there was a high pitched "Help me!" in the song. The facebook link to what the audio engineer enhanced might be helpful for those who can't hear that part, or don't know the timestamp. I think it's about 3:08, though, if you are checking the original.
Regardless of that, there are still other very questionable things being said in that video which (moo) indicate they know a crime is taking place, or about to take place.
here is the song that is being referenced. [video=youtube;ksi9bAPE20I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksi9bAPE20I[/video]

Joining this late and trying to wrap my head around everything. FB is making my brain hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member