Identified! IL - Lockport, WhtMale UP5213, 25-35, laundry mark "Jim 5," found with various keys, Jul'80 - namus removed

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

GJKJR

Reaction score
"Jim Doe"
https://www.namus.gov/UnidentifiedPersons/Case#/5213/details?nav

Thumbnail
Original

Decomposing remains found in a wooden crate in the Chicago Greater Area Sanitary and Shipping canal (approximate location map) near Lockport, Will County, Illinois, on July 30, 1980.

Manner of Death: Homicide

Sex: Male
Race: White/Caucasian
Estimated Age: 25-35 years old
Post-Mortem Interval: Approximately 1 week (July 23, 1980)
Height: 5'11" (71 inches)
Weight: 175 lbs
Hair Description: Light/medium brown to blond, about 2 inches long
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinctive Physical Characteristics: Long narrow feet with little toes curled under. Possibly a smoker.
Clothing: (1) Dark blue work pants with a laundry mark reading "Jim 5," (2) Green work-type pullover T-shirt with one pocket, (3) wool socks, (4) One dark-colored herringbone house slipper.
Accessories: (1) Peterbuilt truck keys, (2) Ford car key, (3) AMC car key, (4) Several padlock-type keys, (5) Briggs and Stratton key, (6) House keys, (7) Miscellaneous coins.

Notes: The man's clothing was consistent with a laborer such as a mechanic or a truck driver. New information indicates he may have been an auto mechanic.

Now I know that 1980 was quite a while ago, but did the state of Illinois have vehicle registrations in a database by that point?

Surely, not that many people owned an AMC at all, and the AMC in combination with a Ford and a Peterbilt?

Any way to find out of vehicle registrations were checked for this group of vehicles?

Also, it seems that he worked for a fairly large employer to be "Jim 5."

When I first saw the number, I wondered if the deceased was a long-term inpatient, or resident of a facility.

Who owned an AMC in 1980?

What about Jorgen Anderson as a match? His physical description fits pretty decently to those of JD. California is rather far from Chicago but he went missing from CA in Jan 1980. It's quite possible he left voluntarily after warrants were issued including one for auto theft. What's the likelihood he made his way to Chicago sometime in July 1980 then met with foul play? If he was hauling a big rig (Peterbilt) loaded with at least two stolen vehicles (Ford and AMC) it would probably explain the keys and the mechanic/trucker clothing.

497DMCA - Jorgen Andersen
Jorgen Anderson – The Charley Project

JAnderson.jpg
JAnderson2.jpg

A few things from his Doe Network page:

1740UMIL

Cause of Death: Shot to death
Estimated Age: 35-50 years old
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Protruding jaw. Heavy smoker. Long, narrow feet.

Identifiers
Dentals: X-rays available in NCIC. Teeth 1 through 16 not recorded. Teeth 24 and 23 most likely lost at time of death. Tooth 30 had an occlusal surface restored.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: mtDNA and nucDNA available at UNT (Ref #09-0960). DNA is not in NDIS.

Circumstances of Discovery
The decedent was found 1.5 miles south of Division Street in Lockport. He had been shot in the abdomen with shotgun and shot three other times with a handgun. He was then boxed into a crate and dropped into the Greater Area Sanitary and Shipping Canal.

Now I know that 1980 was quite a while ago, but did the state of Illinois have vehicle registrations in a database by that point?

Surely, not that many people owned an AMC at all, and the AMC in combination with a Ford and a Peterbilt?

Any way to find out of vehicle registrations were checked for this group of vehicles?

When I first saw the number, I wondered if the deceased was a long-term inpatient, or resident of a facility.

This might be a dumb question but can the keys tell the make of of a car? If owning or driving an AMC was uncommon in 1980 could that narrow down the car that the key belonged to?

This might be a dumb question but can the keys tell the make of of a car? If owning or driving an AMC was uncommon in 1980 could that narrow down the car that the key belonged to?
The shape and design of the key can definitely tell you what make, but not always the model and/or year unfortunately. Plus, with this happening in the '80s, registrations were not digitized. To find the owner, they would have needed to know in the least, what state it was registered in to be able to search paper records.
I hope that answers your questions :)

I have no idea whether they had any vehicle registration database in 1980, but I do agree that the combination of an AMC, a Ford, and a Peterbilt must be pretty unique. If it were to be in a database, and if they were able to gleam any more information on the make/model of the car from the keys, and if the cars were registered to him, then this case could've been solved a while ago.

The "5" at the end of the laundry mark confused me a bit, but the large employer theory would make sense. Personally, the quantity and variety of key types make me doubt somewhat that he was an inpatient.

What about Jorgen Anderson as a match? His physical description fits pretty decently to those of JD. California is rather far from Chicago but he went missing from CA in Jan 1980. It's quite possible he left voluntarily after warrants were issued including one for auto theft. What's the likelihood he made his way to Chicago sometime in July 1980 then met with foul play? If he was hauling a big rig (Peterbilt) loaded with at least two stolen vehicles (Ford and AMC) it would probably explain the keys and the mechanic/trucker clothing.

497DMCA - Jorgen Andersen
Jorgen Anderson – The Charley Project

JAnderson.jpg
JAnderson2.jpg

Those statistics are fairly close, and the automobile theft warrant is interesting. The thing that makes me uncertain is the fact that "Jim" had house keys with him when he was found in that canal. That detail makes me believe that he could've been from nearby -- maybe a city like Joliet or Chicago? -- which wouldn't fit the details of Jorgen's disappearance. That's just a theory, though, and I think the otherwise matching statistics are enough to make Anderson a definite possibility for "Jim."

Jorgen is a bit off the 25-35 y/o age range listed on NamUs, but not overly. If the DoeNetwork estimate (35-50 y/o) is closer to the truth, though, then his age would be an issue.

A few things from his Doe Network page:

1740UMIL

Cause of Death: Shot to death
Estimated Age: 35-50 years old
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Protruding jaw. Heavy smoker. Long, narrow feet.

Identifiers
Dentals
: X-rays available in NCIC. Teeth 1 through 16 not recorded. Teeth 24 and 23 most likely lost at time of death. Tooth 30 had an occlusal surface restored.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: mtDNA and nucDNA available at UNT (Ref #09-0960). DNA is not in NDIS.

Circumstances of Discovery
The decedent was found 1.5 miles south of Division Street in Lockport. He had been shot in the abdomen with shotgun and shot three other times with a handgun. He was then boxed into a crate and dropped into the Greater Area Sanitary and Shipping Canal.

I don't know how I didn't see this DoeNetwork entry, thanks for posting! That age range is quite a bit off the NamUs estimate, oddly. I haven't seen the "protruding jaw" detail before, nor the Division Street detail. Using that information, this marker seems to be closer to where "Jim" was found in the canal.

Last edited:
The shape and design of the key can definitely tell you what make, but not always the model and/or year unfortunately. Plus, with this happening in the '80s, registrations were not digitized. To find the owner, they would have needed to know in the least, what state it was registered in to be able to search paper records.
I hope that answers your questions :)

Thank you! I thought that was a long shot.

I have no idea whether they had any vehicle registration database in 1980, but I do agree that the combination of an AMC, a Ford, and a Peterbilt must be pretty unique. If it were to be in a database, and if they were able to gleam any more information on the make/model of the car from the keys, and if the cars were registered to him, then this case could've been solved a while ago.

The "5" at the end of the laundry mark confused me a bit, but the large employer theory would make sense. Personally, the quantity and variety of key types make me doubt somewhat that he was an inpatient.

There are jobs where you would have access to multiple car keys or even other's keys. Could the keys have been left by the killer or one of the killers?

There are jobs where you would have access to multiple car keys or even other's keys. Could the keys have been left by the killer or one of the killers?
It's possible. If the killer were an auto mechanic/truck driver/etc., they could have left those keys there (either intentionally or unintentionally).

I do think it's probable that, at the least, one of the important figures in this case ("Jim" or the killer(s)) had some business in the auto industry, with the variety of vehicle keys "Jim" had on him and all.

Is “Jim 5” definitely a company? Or could it actually be someone’s name? Like “Jim S”.

Jimmy C. Long – The Charley Project

I think Jimmy’s hair is probably too dark to be “Jim”, but the details of his disappearance got me thinking..

“Long was last seen at a truck stop in Calhoun, Louisiana on November 18, 1979. He got into a light brown late model Ford with a vinyl top together with two unidentified Caucasian males and he has never been heard from again. Few details are available in his case.”

• Unidentified Person
  • July 30, 1980
  • ISP Case: 1980-212-121
  • NIC: U510025997
  • Case No: UP5213
  • Male/White 5’11”, 175Lbs., light brown hair, about 30-35 YOA, eye color unknown. Possibly a smoker, blood type ‘A’,
  • He was wearing blue work type pants, green work shirt, wool socks, one house slipper.
  • Fingerprint information available,
  • Dental records available,
  • mtDNA, nDNA, available at the University of North Texas, in NDIS.
  • This person was found in a wooden crate that had been floating down the Chicago Water Reclamation District canal in Lockport Il. He had been shot.
  • Missing Person

Namus is showing 85 exclusions. Neither Jorgen Anderson nor Jimmy C. Long is on the list.

The house slipper makes me think he was accosted at home, after he had taken off his shoes and was settling in for the evening.

Oct 20 2022 rbbm
"They don't know who he is. All they have is skeletal remains," said David Mittelman, CEO of Othram, a forensic DNA testing company based in Texas.''

''So why is this team from Will County — 42 years later — suddenly optimistic they'll solve the case?

"We're very hopeful," said Piper. "Last week, we cleared another case. A 1974 case."

The short answer is: they're two-for-two working with Othram, which extracts DNA from skeletal remains, then creates a DNA profile by doing a genealogical search of public databases — which allow access to law enforcement agencies — and hopefully come up with some kind of family tree.

"We may find a bunch of 2nd, 3rd and 4th cousins," said Mittelman. "If we can find a bunch of distant relatives, and we know who they are, then we can build a bunch of family trees and essentially, through the process of elimination, build out the family tree and figure out if there's someone that's missing."

All that's known about the victim is he was 5-foot-11, blonde, between 25 and 35 years old, was found with several sets of car keys, wearing a single house-slipper, and may have worked a blue collar job.''

Oct 20 2022 rbbm
"They don't know who he is. All they have is skeletal remains," said David Mittelman, CEO of Othram, a forensic DNA testing company based in Texas.''

''So why is this team from Will County — 42 years later — suddenly optimistic they'll solve the case?

"We're very hopeful," said Piper. "Last week, we cleared another case. A 1974 case."

The short answer is: they're two-for-two working with Othram, which extracts DNA from skeletal remains, then creates a DNA profile by doing a genealogical search of public databases — which allow access to law enforcement agencies — and hopefully come up with some kind of family tree.

"We may find a bunch of 2nd, 3rd and 4th cousins," said Mittelman. "If we can find a bunch of distant relatives, and we know who they are, then we can build a bunch of family trees and essentially, through the process of elimination, build out the family tree and figure out if there's someone that's missing."

All that's known about the victim is he was 5-foot-11, blonde, between 25 and 35 years old, was found with several sets of car keys, wearing a single house-slipper, and may have worked a blue collar job.''
We are looking forward to helping. Currently crowdfunding: Who is Will County John Doe (1980)?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mjules
Back