IL IL - Maria Caleel, 21, UI student, Urbana, 6 March 1988

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.news-gazette.com/news/lo...turn-state-crime-lab-leads-1988-stabbing.html
20160503-004752-pic-22403512.jpg
"We've already seen a lot of interest in the Facebook page," Rivers said. "Those things can catch on; we want to get as many as people involved as possible. We'll take any evidence, it doesn't matter how small."

Cervantes and Rivers did a complete inventory of every piece of evidence in the case and photographed all of it.

Much of the work needs to exclude the DNA of anybody who had legitimate reason to be at the scene and near Ms. Caleel: friends, firefighters, doctors, Rivers said.

Local, state and federal law enforcement agencies have conducted hundreds of interviews and thousands of leads have been investigated, Rivers said.

Cyber case

In addition to a newly created Facebook page, Urbana police have set up an email account devoted solely to solving the 1988 murder of Maria Caleel. Know something? Write to caleelcase@urbanaillinois.us

Missed this detailed article out today, very curious to see if the new poi, as suggested in a tip to LE is the culprit, or the person pinpointed by Forensic psychologist Richard Walter.
Also wondering, if the perp is responsible fo any other crimes, imo, speculation.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-u-of-i-maria-caleel-murder-met-20150220-story.html

Late last year, a forensic psychologist with the Vidocq Society in Philadelphia, a private organization of prosecutors and investigators who assist with unsolved cases, provided police with a profile of Maria's killer. The analysis described the offender as being very angry with Maria, perhaps harboring feelings of having been betrayed by her.

This person may have been waiting for Maria in her apartment the night of the attack. Consistent with the police theory, the offender may not have intended to kill her, but instead wanted to cause her "great bodily harm." What's more, there might have been a second offender in the apartment that morning. This individual may have been drawn into a plan to hurt Maria. But when she died, they became afraid, and have remained silent about the incident these many years.

Under no circumstances would Maria's killer agree to cooperate with authorities, according to the analysis. The person would be hostile toward police, even threatening legal action if asked to cooperate with the investigation. Griffet would not comment about whether a suspect fits the profile, only that it has "directed" the police investigation.

Annette Caleel hopes someone will soon be charged with her daughter's murder. The family seeks resolution for their peace of mind, she said, and added she cannot understand how the killer can go on with life without suffering guilt for what they did. "I just wish we had the answers to the puzzles that remain," she said.
http://ilcoldcases.blogspot.ca/2016/05/maria-caleel-3688-urbana-il.html

https://books.google.ca/books?id=ZU...nepage&q=the murder room maria caleel&f=false

The Murder Room: The Heirs of Sherlock Holmes Gather to Solve the World's ...
By Michael Capuzzo

https://ididitforjodie.com/2016/01/07/horse-of-a-different-color-the-crimes-of-cathy-crighton-and-the-murder-of-maria-caleel/

A strong suspect, Cathy Mance Crighton (deceased) and her boyfriend.

Does anyone know whether the ex-boyfriend, Neal Shapiro, mentioned in the story above, is the same boyfriend who may have accompanied Cathy to Maria's apartment on the night she was stabbed?

“I’ve avoided [Cathy] like the plague.” Crighton ex-boyfriend Neal Shapiro, South Florida Sun Sentinel, March 3rd 2003

The two statements Maria made before her death tells me she knew her killer.

"I don't want to talk about it".

"I can't believe HE stabbed me."

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/134788649/

She was with a boyfriend, Neal Shapiro, whom she had started seeing in 1999, Fitzpatrick recalled. "She was crazy about him," Fitzpatrick said. "But you knew how it was going to end."

The Palm Beach Post, March 9, 2003 article answered my question. You can read the OCR text of the article within the box at the bottom of the above page.

Bumping for Maria, hoping the DNA tests results come back soon and that people continue to send in tips concerning the murder!

Bumping
Wondering how the DNA testing is coming along and if they have a Parabon SNAPSHOT of the perp created?
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-u-of-i-maria-caleel-murder-met-20150220-story.html
attachment.php

Attachments

• chi-maria-caleel-murder-cold-case-20150220.jpg
    chi-maria-caleel-murder-cold-case-20150220.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 18
Mistaken identity is still pretty high on my list so were either of her roommates involved in any "entanglements" and could that be a reason someone else would have had a key?

I'm puzzled as to why she was living with two roommates when her parents were supposed to be so rich.

If she ever crossed paths with Maria or her roommates, I wonder if Lauri Wasserman Dann should be looked at. Her rampage was just weeks later in this same year and she was suspected of entering into her estranged husband's residence around 1986 and stabbing him with an ice pick.

rbbm
By R. Scott Nolen April 01, 2002
''In recapping the stabbing of Maria Caleel, the Chicago Tribune also reveals for the first time the veterinary student's last words to a police officer on the scene: "I can't believe he did this to me."

''Late last year, a forensic psychologist with the Vidocq Society in Philadelphia, a private organization of prosecutors and investigators who assist with unsolved cases, provided police with a profile of Maria's killer. The analysis described the offender as being very angry with Maria, perhaps harboring feelings of having been betrayed by her.

" What's more, there might have been a second offender in the apartment that morning. This individual may have been drawn into a plan to hurt Maria. But when she died, they became afraid, and have remained silent about the incident these many years.

Under no circumstances would Maria's killer agree to cooperate with authorities, according to the analysis. The person would be hostile toward police, even threatening legal action if asked to cooperate with the investigation. Griffet would not comment about whether a suspect fits the profile, only that it has "directed" the police investigation.''

I suppose she could have gotten a good enough look at her assailant to know their sex for sure.

Due to her field, I wonder if she ever ran up against the so-called Chicago Horse Marfia? Their name comes up in a lot of murderers in this region.

Also, her killer hit her aorta, a small target, in one try so was "he" a person in her field who had anatomical knowledge?

Then there's her perceived reticence to give evidence against her attacker and this reminds me of two somewhat similar crimes.

In the Margery Wren murder, she refused to name her assailant before she died and some thought it was because he was someone who was very close to her.

And, the George Storrs murder where he wouldn't give information about his attacker before he died. Due to his infidelity, some thought it was because he felt he deserved it somehow.

More than likely, she probably just didn't feel like talking.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klaus28
Back