Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Reasonable & Just

United We Stand
Reaction score
Mother of a 2-month old, just back on duty from maternity leave. Rest in Peace, Officer French.

Chicago Police Officer Killed, Another Seriously Injured in West Englewood Shooting

At approximately 9 p.m., officers with the Chicago Police Department's Community Safety Teams unit pulled over a vehicle in the 6300 block of South Bell Avenue, near West 63rd Street. At some point during the encounter, the officers were fired at and sustained gunshot wounds, CPD officials said.

The officers returned fire, striking a male suspect. Two others who were inside the vehicle at the time, a man and a woman, were apprehended at the scene, according to CPD 1st Deputy Superintendent Eric Carter.

Both officers were rushed to the University of Chicago Medical Center where one was later pronounced dead.

The female officer was 29 years old, authorities said, but her name had yet to be released as of early Sunday. The officer is the city's first to be shot and killed in the line of duty since November 2018 when Officer Samuel Jimenez was fatally shot by a gunman who opened fire at Mercy Hospital, also killing two others.

Female Chicago police officer, 29, becomes the first cop shot and killed in the city since 2018 | Daily Mail Online

Chicago police identifies 'hero' officer killed during traffic stop: 'We will #NeverForget'

Chicago police identifies 'hero' officer killed during traffic stop: 'We will #NeverForget'

“Including the shooting that happened Saturday night, there have been 38 officers who have been shot at or shot during 2021 so far, Brown said. Of those, 11 officers were struck by gunfire. Brown said that was an extraordinary number after 79 officers were shot at or shot in all of 2020, which represented a 500% increase from the amount of officers shot at or shot in 2019.”

Only three and a half years on! Brand new baby waiting at home.

Officer Ella French I thank you for your service. Very sorry you had to be on in these times of blatant disrespect of Police Officers.

Chicago Mourns Police Officer Ella French, Fatally Shot During Traffic Stop

"One of the suspects in the case, who police believe to be the gunman, was shot and injured during the confrontation, and was taken into custody. Another suspect was also taken into custody at the scene.

A third suspect was located and arrested early Sunday, according to Chicago police."

"Charges are still pending, and interviews are still being conducted, according to authorities."

BBM
I wonder what the holdup is, regarding charges?
They have three suspects, and the weapon used.
Kim Fox, States Attorney for Cook County, what say you?

Charges have been filed.

2 charged, 1 with murder, in fatal shooting of CPD Officer Ella French during traffic stop

CHICAGO (WLS) -- Two people have been charged in the fatal shooting of 29-year-old Officer Ella French who was killed during a traffic stop in West Englewood Saturday night. Her partner remains in the hospital after being shot.

Emonte Morgan, 21, is charged with first degree murder, attempted first degree murder, aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, and unlawful use of a weapon by a felon, according to the Cook County State's Attorney's Office.

Eric Morgan, 22, is charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, unlawful use of a weapon by a felon, and obstruction of justice, the Cook County State's Attorney's Office said.

Its about time! Sure not putting out a lot of information. <modsnip> Sad Sad world we live in today.

There was more information released in the article above, about the perp who bought the gun and gave it to the alleged shooter, than the felon who shot Officer French. It seems that is where Chicago's finger is pointing...to the INDIANA resident who bought the gun. Not the felon who shot and killed this young woman.

Surveillance video shows traffic stop before fatal shooting of CPD Officer Ella French; 2 charged

Hammond (IN) man charged with straw purchase of gun used in shooting
Prosecutors filed federal charges against an Indiana man for purchasing the gun used in the shooting that killed Ofc. French.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives arrested Jamel Danzy of Hammond for allegedly purchasing the Glock 44 .22 caliber semiautomatic pistol used in the shooting, which police said was in the possession of one of the suspects when he was arrested. Court documents said they believe that weapon fired the shots that killed Ofc. French.

The ATF said the vehicle that the CPD officers had stopped belonged to Danzy, though he was not in the car at the time. A search on the gun showed Danzy had purchased it in Hammond in March.

ATF agents said they found and interviewed Danzy about the purchase, and that he admitted he bought the gun to give to the suspect, who he said could not legally purchase a gun due to a criminal conviction in Wisconsin.

Danzy has been charged with conspiracy to violate federal firearms laws, including knowingly transferring and giving a firearm to an out-of-state resident, knowingly making a false written statement to acquire a firearm, and knowingly disposing of a firearm to a convicted felon.

He appeared in court Monday and was ordered held in custody until another hearing on Wednesday.

2nd officer remains in ICU in critical condition

Meanwhile, family remains at the bedside of Officer French's partner as he continues to fight for his life.

The officer, who remains in the ICU, has been on the job since August 2014. Friends say he is 39 years old and married with a young son.

Sources tell the I-Team that the wounded officer has three gunshot wounds: One exited an eye, one lodged in the back of the head and one struck his shoulder.

Attachments

• upload_2021-8-10_13-36-17.png
    upload_2021-8-10_13-36-17.png
    73 bytes · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
What cause the shooting in the first place? My understanding was it was just a simple traffic stop. Did he already have an outstanding warrant?

No idea what caused the shooting. I was listening to one of the Chicago am news station this afternoon and both officers weapons were in their holsters.

It wasn't like the officers approached with weapons drawn.

Last edited:
<modsnip>

I'm not familiar with the repercussions straw purchasers face, but it should be murder in cases like this.

Maybe people would think twice before buying a gun for someone who can't legally obtain one if the consequences were tougher.

<modsnip>

Its about time! Sure not putting out a lot of information. < modsnip> Sad Sad world we live in today.
<modsnip> In this case, the perpetrators were all quickly arrested, and will most definitely face justice for murdering Officer French and trying to kill her partner.

Mom of two brothers charged in fatal shooting of Chicago cop Ella French is arrested | Daily Mail Online

"Emonte is the alleged triggerman and charged murder of a peace officer, among others, and is currently being treated in Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn for injuries sustained during the shootout.

Flores said in a two-minute monologue video from her car that her boys' side of the story isn't being told but said she couldn't speak too much about it.

'My boys are not monsters,' Flores said. 'I don't believe a damn thing CPD (Chicago Police Department) says, and I can guarantee you this. My boys were afraid. I'm afraid ... We fear our police here. We don't trust them.'

From the article, it appears as though Ms Flores got quite feisty with hospital security staff as well as Chicago PD.

Mom of two brothers charged in fatal shooting of Chicago cop Ella French is arrested | Daily Mail Online

"Emonte is the alleged triggerman and charged murder of a peace officer, among others, and is currently being treated in Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn for injuries sustained during the shootout.

Flores said in a two-minute monologue video from her car that her boys' side of the story isn't being told but said she couldn't speak too much about it.

'My boys are not monsters,' Flores said. 'I don't believe a damn thing CPD (Chicago Police Department) says, and I can guarantee you this. My boys were afraid. I'm afraid ... We fear our police here. We don't trust them.'

From the article, it appears as though Ms Flores got quite feisty with hospital security staff as well as Chicago PD.

Good luck with that defense, ma'am. These officers had their weapons holstered, right?

ETA - yes, according to this article: Surveillance video shows traffic stop before fatal shooting of CPD Officer Ella French; 2 charged

Oops! "my bad"

Mayor Lightfoot, top cop botch slain Chicago cop's name: 'Ella Fitzgerald'

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot botched fallen officer Ella French’s name just days after Chicago police superintendent David Brown did the same.

"The horrible tragedy of Ella Frank’s murder," Lightfoot said during the 2022 budget engagement forum held at Truman College on Thursday.

The flub was criticized by the Chicago Fraternal Order of Police, which tweeted on Friday, that "This is one of those times when words really matter."

Lightfoot botching her name comes just days after Brown referred to French as "Ella Fitzgerald" twice on Monday.

French, 29, was shot and killed on Saturday night during a traffic stop. She is the first officer since 2018 to be killed in the line of duty in the city.

Lightfoot botching her name comes just days after Brown referred to French as "Ella Fitzgerald" twice on Monday.

"The offender who is charged with first degree murder of Ella Fitzgerald," Brown said at one point during the press conference.

"The gun used in this shooting and this murder of Ella Fitzgerald was illegally possessed," he said at another point.

Ella Fitzgerald is the name of an award-winning jazz singer who died in 1996.

Included in the FOP's tweet:
Her name was Ella French. French. Not Frank, French. This is one of those times when words really matter. Please, her name was not Ella Frank, her name was not Ella Fitzgerald, her name was #EllaFrench.

The flubs come after Lightfoot received an icy greeting from police officers in the city last week, when she visited the hospital where French’s partner is being treated for critical injuries stemming from the shooting. During the visit, more than two dozen officers were seen turning their back on the mayor as she approached them. "

Oops! "my bad"

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot botched fallen officer Ella French’s name just days after Chicago police superintendent David Brown did the same.

"The horrible tragedy of Ella Frank’s murder," Lightfoot said during the 2022 budget engagement forum held at Truman College on Thursday.

The flub was criticized by the Chicago Fraternal Order of Police, which tweeted on Friday, that "This is one of those times when words really matter."

French, 29, was shot and killed on Saturday night during a traffic stop. She is the first officer since 2018 to be killed in the line of duty in the city.

"The offender who is charged with first degree murder of Ella Fitzgerald," Brown said at one point during the press conference.

"The gun used in this shooting and this murder of Ella Fitzgerald was illegally possessed," he said at another point.

Her name was Ella French. French. Not Frank, French. This is one of those times when words really matter. Please, her name was not Ella Frank, her name was not Ella Fitzgerald, her name was #EllaFrench.

The flubs come after Lightfoot received an icy greeting from police officers in the city last week, when she visited the hospital where French’s partner is being treated for critical injuries stemming from the shooting. During the visit, more than two dozen officers were seen turning their back on the mayor as she approached them. "
real mature. ETA on all sides...

Oops! "my bad"

Ella Frank, Fitzgerald...eh whatever...
They couldn't even pretend to care enough, to get her name right.

RIP Officer Ella French!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Puddy
Back