Recovered/Located IL - Sergio Brown, 35, Former NFL Safety, his mom Myrtle Brown was found dead & he is missing, Maywood, 14 - 16 Sep 2023 *arrested*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Even high school football players who have never played collegiate or professional ball have been found with significant CTE. We don’t know why some people are more susceptible to getting CTE, nor why some demonstrate more severe behavioral changes. A much-discussed example would be a fairly “normal” middle class guy murdering his best friend as the late NFL player and convicted murderer Aaron Hernandez did. He was found to have severe CTE upon his death at age 27.

There are so many sources online, but here is some info.

IMO, the effects of CTE extend further than football. I see CTE as caused by a significant shake of the brain.

Happens in hockey, snowboarding, and even figure skating. Maybe it only takes one or two significant hits on a vulnerable spot on your head. There is so much yet to be learned about this tragic injury and it's lifelong psychological effects.

JMO

Last edited:
IMO, the effects of CTE extend further than football. I see CTE as caused by a significant shake of the brain.

Happens in hockey, snowboarding, and even figure skating. Maybe it only takes one or two significant hits on a vulnerable spot on your head. There is so much yet to be learned about this tragic injury and it's lifelong psychological effects.

JMO
A single hit to the head can be life-altering, but CTE (Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy) is a different beast because it's actually the other way around.

From the CTE Center at Boston University (bolding mine):

We believe CTE is caused by repetitive brain trauma. This trauma includes both concussions that cause symptoms and non-concussive hits to the head that cause no symptoms.
One big TBI often takes someone out of athletics for months. Concussions, on the other hand, get a week or two at most and then it's back to training. "Getting your bell rung" (being briefly stunned by a hit) isn't even considered an injury.

A couple of sad stories

"Two former NFL Man of the Year winners suffering from CTE symptoms shot themselves in the chest so their brains could be studied for the damage inflicted by football"

No new insta a stories and now me info (i can find) shared

JMO
Yes, football is one widely studied sport found to cause CTE. In addition to the ones you list, boxing, martial arts, soccer, wrestling, lacrosse, rugby and other sports can all lead to CTE. (Source: a quick google lists studies done on athletes in all these sports and more).

To speak to the “chronic,” or repetitive nature of CTE, I would agree it’s at least possible that someone would have only 1 known concussion and still have CTE due to other subclinical (undiagnosed) hits to the head. Although, by definition, 1 head injury would not cause CTE.

In my work with high school athletes in contact sports, I do think there is far more awareness of CTE and the importance of brain health, but the kids themselves often won’t report a head injury because they want to stay in the game. Just like it’s been for decades. And their brains certainly don’t have time to heal from all the hits they don’t notice.

Edit: adding a bit more background

Last edited:
Just a supposition based on very little information available. The size, diversity and huge expanse of the country of Mexico is amazing when trying to find someone who doesn't want to be found. Zapopan territory/area? Include areas of Guadalajara to Puerto Vallarta...large ex pat community of 40,000 plus.
My heart breaks every time I think of someone harming their loving Mother....

Yes, football is one widely studied sport found to cause CTE. In addition to the ones you list, boxing, martial arts, soccer, wrestling, lacrosse, rugby and other sports can all lead to CTE. (Source: a quick google lists studies done on athletes in all these sports and more).

To speak to the “chronic,” or repetitive nature of CTE, I would agree it’s at least possible that someone would have only 1 known concussion and still have CTE due to other subclinical (undiagnosed) hits to the head. Although, by definition, 1 head injury would not cause CTE.

In my work with high school athletes in contact sports, I do think there is far more awareness of CTE and the importance of brain health, but the kids themselves often won’t report a head injury because they want to stay in the game. Just like it’s been for decades. And their brains certainly don’t have time to heal from all the hits they don’t notice.

To @Tower and all others sharing their expertise and information on CTE - Thanks so much!
It's is really very helpful. I have found some all too ready in IRL to dismiss it even exists. Since we cannot see brain damage and mental disabilities I think there sometimes is a tendancy perhaps to think "If I cannot see it - if must not exist - must be just anonther fake illness". It never excuses bad behavior but does put that behavior in context sometimes.
I sincerely appreciate the education that I get on these threads for all the cases I have followed. Very enriching and enlightening.

So the autopsy is complete but have seen no details or reports on the results.

Example: when Tristan Bailey’s autopsy was completed, they gave a press conference, and share details about the case, including graphic details about clothing and stab wounds.

I haven’t even seen a press conference yet.

Just because someone makes a tackle doesn't mean they hit their head every time they did so, much less hard enough to cause damage to their brain.

JMO
Agree. What is concerning is that we do not know why some young people with few or no documented concussions and a relatively small number of possible hits to the head, are diagnosed at autopsy with CTE.

And there are certainly many people, even with severe CTE, who did not demonstrate personality changes, depression, violence, homicidal or suicidal behavior during life. In fact, I would guess the majority of people with CTE are relatively fine.

I am not a verified expert here, so take it or leave it, but my son and I have done and are currently conducting some local (high school level) research on concussion prevention and have studied CTE prevention. Brains are not well-understood in spite of extensive research. And I love sports, so I would like to protect athletes while not hindering participation in contact sports.

They found a fugitive hiding out in the middle of the woods using an aircraft equipped with infrared technology.

How hard can it be to find a guy leaving a digital footprint of where he is, every time he posts something on social media?

They found a fugitive hiding out in the middle of the woods using an aircraft equipped with infrared technology.

How hard can it be to find a guy leaving a digital footprint of where he is, every time he posts something on social media?
EXACTLY, although it did take them 14 days and he never left the area

it just blows my mind! they still haven’t named a suspect
Mine too! Nothing new in the MSM in the last day either that I've seen.

I wonder how closely SB is watching Media. He could have changed locations. Notice he has not posted any self videos where he can be located using background, so it's a possibility.

But, You would think someone would at least have eyes on him at this point knowing his location in Mexico from at the very least Monday thru Wednesday SMH.

Last edited:
LE is probably being very careful because they suspect SB is in a very unstable psychological state. If SB knows they are coming for him, he might lash out violently toward others or himself.

Whether or not SB has CTE, it appears to me that he is suffering from some sort of mental break or psychosis. I don't think he is faking it.

Well, I know one person who left for college to play football and now he's never the same. If I didn't see him socially, at school, with GF, I would have never believed that he didn't have some mental illness prior to what happened, but used to be absolutely fine. Now it is bizarre psychosis.

Here is the problem: if it is Sergio, or someone at NFL level, we don't even doubt, we know the statistics. Those family members who donated the brains of the deceased athletes, or those athletes who shot themselves into chests...medicine and science owe a lot to them

But what if a person didn't achieve NFL level? I am even thinking, sometimes these athletes may not remember being knocked out at practice. And the coaches might not tell them. It is very complex, sports, money. And diagnosis is not made in vivo. But these people need help. When they chose that football track, who knew about CTE?

CTE used to be known as "dementia pugilistica", in boxers, or "punch-drunk syndrome". I believe that one concussion such as knockdown or knockout could also cause CTE, it mostly depends on where the blow lands.

Here is one old and interesting drug, memantine, for prevention of CTE

Last edited:

Ethically, it is a complex situation.

Imagine a boy, quiet, but gifted at sports, with the father an ex-elite athlete, a supportive family, and a natural gift. His childhood is not easy: practices and studying to maintain high enough GPA. College: practices, practices and classes (many, I read, took some additional classes in community colleges not to fall behind). Then he gets into NFL, but is not drafted, so he has to compensate by extra hard work. And then he is let go, because he is probably already disabled (consider the time, the lawsuits against NFL just started. Least of all NFL wanted anyone to be diagnosed with CTE while actively playing.)

So I suspect he was a vulnerable adult when he returned home. Maybe mom was taking care of him, but getting older and unable to cope? Maybe she thought of a group home for him, and he didn't want it? I wonder if she was his legal guardian?

So if he, indeed, is a vulnerable adult, he won't live long abroad and would perish somewhere. But free. Maybe this is why no one is actively moving. Bring him back and what - psychiatric hospital and a group home? Or jail? Would his mother have chosen it for him?

JMO. We don't even know what happened. I can only guess, and I view them both as victims. RIP, Myrtle.

I think they are getting all of their evidence in order so they can apprehend him and charge him if that is where the evidence leads. I venture that they know where he is but don't have enough to arrest, expedite (if needed), and hold him. He seems focused on creating videos right now which is good for those who are geographically near him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garc
Back