IL IL - Urooj Khan, 46, Chicago, 20 July 2012

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
from http://asylumeclectica.com/grim/) WARNING: THIS IS GROSS!!!

Historically, most murderers have tended to avoid cyanide – the poison left a too-obvious trail of evidence. The resulting corpse would be a textbook study in violent death, marked by bruising discoloration, twisted by the last convulsions, often eerily scented with cyanide’s characteristic warning perfume, a faint, fruity scent of almonds. (Researchers would later find that a fair number of people carry a genetic mutation that keeps them from smelling cyanide.)

It was more popular as a suicide choice due to its reputation for acting quickly. As Gettler wrote, “The symptoms of acute poisoning proceed with almost lightning-like rapidity. Within two to five minutes after ingestion of the poison, the individual collapses, frequently with a loud scream (death scream).” In lesser amounts the poison kills more slowly, if faster than most other toxic substances. The average survival after swallowing cyanide is between fifteen and forty-five minutes. Fast or slow, it is never a kind ending. The last minutes of a cyanide death are brutal, marked by convulsions, a desperate gasping for air, a rising bloody froth of vomit and saliva, and finally a blessed release into unconsciousness.

Culled from: The Poisoner’s Handbook
(from http://asylumeclectica.com/grim/ )

Thanks.

Well then. Who cooked dinner that night? His dinner was poisoned.

Ahh, I didn't realize they hadn't done an autopsy.

I know in California, they don't do an autopsy if the person had seen a doctor within a specified time, not sure maybe a week? and the doctor is willing to sign the certificate as to cause of death. But normal procedure IF a doctor wasn't present at the TOD, they do an autopsy, even if they die, say, in a fire.

Unfortunately, I know this from experience, both scenarios. :(

fran

You are correct, Miss Fran.

When I worked at the SO in NoCal, at least the law back then was if the deceased had been under the dr's care within the last 30 days.

Sorry you knew this from experience. (HUGS)

from http://asylumeclectica.com/grim/) WARNING: THIS IS GROSS!!!

Historically, most murderers have tended to avoid cyanide – the poison left a too-obvious trail of evidence. The resulting corpse would be a textbook study in violent death, marked by bruising discoloration, twisted by the last convulsions, often eerily scented with cyanide’s characteristic warning perfume, a faint, fruity scent of almonds. (Researchers would later find that a fair number of people carry a genetic mutation that keeps them from smelling cyanide.)

(from http://asylumeclectica.com/grim/ )

Might be obvious for everyone but authorities who declared it a death from natural causes without an autopsy. Makes me wonder how many "natural causes" deaths are actually murder.

I don't know why A/P is reporting that he died just before collecting his lottery money. Everyone else is reporting a check was cut the day before he died.

I don't know why A/P is reporting that he died just before collecting his lottery money. Everyone else is reporting a check was cut the day before he died.

Sloppy reporting. He collected his check, but it wasn't cashed yet. He died the day after collecting his check. He had no will, so his wife presumably is the next of kin and should inherit that money.

Might be obvious for everyone but authorities who declared it a death from natural causes without an autopsy. Makes me wonder how many "natural causes" deaths are actually murder.

Like Kathy Savio? IIRC, that was out of Cook County as well. This is very disturbing to me. I think many people would also be shocked to find out the local part-time school bus driver/funeral home director just signs off deaths as natural causes with no second thoughts.

Los Angeles Times

Chicago man fatally poisoned a month after hitting lotto jackpot
By Matt Pearce
January 7, 2013, 3:11 p.m.

"According to a police document obtained by the Chicago Tribune, Khan came home from work to his wife, Shabana Ansari, and daughter, Jasmeen, the night he died, ate dinner and went to bed.

Then he began screaming. He was pronounced dead at St. Francis Hospital in Evanston. An initial examination said he died of heart disease.

Not so, officials now say, after looking into the case further: He was killed. By cyanide, according to the medical examiner."

"The cause of Khan's death was initially ruled to be heart disease. But within a few days of his autopsy in July, "a family member asked that we look into it more closely because they had concerns," Stephen J. Cina, chief medical examiner for Cook County, Ill., told the Los Angeles Times, declining to identify the family member.

Examiners ran more tests. In September, a result came back that tested positive for cyanide. In late November, officials said that amount "showed the cyanide at a lethal level," Cina said -- at which point Khan's death was ruled a homicide. His body may be exhumed for further examination."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/...ago-lottery-poisoned-20130107,0,7315871.story

"Screaming" apparently often occurs with cyanide poisoning. It had to be put into his individual plate or cup since nobody else in the house was poisoned. Unless there was a specific dish that he liked and the rest of them didn't? It's a quick acting poison so that really limits who could have done it.

Ironically, an article about Dee Dee Moore was linked as a similar story in one of the articles I was reading last night.

Like Kathy Savio? IIRC, that was out of Cook County as well. This is very disturbing to me. I think many people would also be shocked to find out the local part-time school bus driver/funeral home director just signs off deaths as natural causes with no second thoughts.

FWIW, The Savio case was out of Will County, not Cook. Though, there was some info last summer, iirc, the Cook County Medical Examiners office needed an enormous overhaul. Overloads of bodies and very shabby work. I posted about it somewhere in the UID forum. Maybe in the Unidentified Gacy victims thread....... I think there are new people in the ME's office now, but who knows how much time it is going to take to clean up the mess they inherited.

Revealed: Brother and wife of 'murdered' lottery winner squabbled
over winnings after he was found dead from cyanide poisoning
(Daily Mail)

Typical Mail head-scratcher of an article though a couple interesting facts are included.
It says:

"According to a police report cited by the Chicago Tribune, that fateful day Mr Khan arrived at his Chicago home with his wife, Ms Ansari, and daughter, Jasmeen, and ate some dinner.

She has since recanted this story and said that she did not cook him ground beef curry that night.

He then went to bed before waking up screaming as his body was 'suffocated cell by cell,' as explained by the Cook County Medical Examiner who considers this case one of the most shocking of his career."

Wouldn't she know or remember if she cooked dinner that night? Even if she didn't, where did the food come from?

Well, if daily mail article is correct, and she recanted the story of cooking dinner, why would she tell at first she cooked it? So was he the only person eating that curry? There were apparently four people in the house that night-victim, victim's wife, wife's father, and victim's daughter from the previous marriage. Since victim was the only one poisoned, it would appear the poison was either in his plate or cup, or in the dish nobody else was eating.

Mail article also includes info that daughter is indeed from a first marriage of Urooj.

Mail article also includes info that daughter is indeed from a first marriage of Urooj.

It had to be. He and the current wife are married for 12 years. The daughter is 17. Indians aren't in a habit of living together and having children, then getting married. A lot of marriages are also arranged. She is much younger than he is.

Unless she is going to claim he ate dinner out, changing what she cooked isn't going to help her much. I'm sure the daughter can verify who cooked what and who was present at dinner. IMO, the wife is backtracking and changing details to fit the investigation. The quick acting Cyanide will limit the suspect pool greatly.

What a horrible death Urooj suffered.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...quabbled-winnings-dead-cyanide-poisoning.html

(snip)
She has since recanted this story and said that she did not cook him ground beef curry that night.
He then went to bed before waking up screaming as his body was 'suffocated cell by cell,' as explained by the Cook County Medical Examiner who considers this case one of the most shocking of his career.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raja5367
Back