IL IL - Urooj Khan, 46, Chicago, 20 July 2012

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The widow of a Chicago lottery winner who died of cyanide poisoning as he awaited a $425,000 check says she cannot believe her husband could have had enemies and that she has no idea who in their family asked that authorities take the deeper look into what originally was believed to be a death by natural causes.

More
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=157&sid=23673239&title=lottery-winners-widow-didnt-alert-authorities

Sounds like it's the wife who has some enemies...someone is perhaps betraying a confidence.

Are you kidding me? If your relative dies and you find it suspicious, you are not going to report it?

Possible wife's defense: "My stepdaughter and I were in the other room. Unbeknownst to us, an assassin crawled through the bedroom window, and injected my husband with the cyanide, and then crawled back out."

Or....

"Well, sure, I always dip my sugared almonds in cyanide powder -- it brings out the flavor. They were on a plate by the bed. If my husband ate one, isn't that suicide?"

I need a nap.

By the way curry is spicy so would mask a bitter taste of cyanide.

The Daily Mail article also says he spent up to $600 a day on lottery scratch offs. Yikes! It makes you wonder if he was just breaking even when he won the prize. Maybe someone was upset that he spent so much on scratch offs.

The wife may have said she cooked him dinner when it was thought he had a heart attack/ natural causes. When the cyanide was detected she had to change her story.

Well, if daily mail article is correct, and she recanted the story of cooking dinner, why would she tell at first she cooked it? So was he the only person eating that curry? There were apparently four people in the house that night-victim, victim's wife, wife's father, and victim's daughter from the previous marriage. Since victim was the only one poisoned, it would appear the poison was either in his plate or cup, or in the dish nobody else was eating.

She could have only poisoned his plate and not the others.

IMO, this case is a no brainer unless someone set up the wife for murder to inherit the lottery money.

The wife may have said she cooked him dinner when it was thought he had a heart attack/ natural causes. When the cyanide was detected she had to change her story.

If she changed her story, it does not look good on her.

Doesn't appear to me that there is much love lost between the widow and brother/sister of the victim.

"However, Khan's brother Imtiaz and sister Meraj Khan expressed concern in court filings that Khan's daughter might not get her fair share. The siblings, who live in the Chicago area, are not staking a claim to any of the money for themselves. They initially won an order from a probate judge in September to freeze the lottery check, asserting his widow tried to cash it."

http://lacrossetribune.com/news/nat...cle_d3ae600e-819c-5a1d-a0a3-60cb2957ff16.html

Doesn't appear to me that there is much love lost between the widow and brother/sister of the victim.

"However, Khan's brother Imtiaz and sister Meraj Khan expressed concern in court filings that Khan's daughter might not get her fair share. The siblings, who live in the Chicago area, are not staking a claim to any of the money for themselves. They initially won an order from a probate judge in September to freeze the lottery check, asserting his widow tried to cash it."

http://lacrossetribune.com/news/nat...cle_d3ae600e-819c-5a1d-a0a3-60cb2957ff16.html

I guess we have a pretty good idea who alerted the authorities.....

Yeah, not too obvious who poisoned him. Good grief...it is just sickening how many people end up dead due to greed.

EXCLUSIVE: Wife of 'murdered' lottery winner 'tried to cash $1million cheque in the days after he was found dead from cyanide poisoning'

The family of a lottery winner who was poisoned with cyanide the day after he collected his $1million jackpot are at war with his widow amid claims she tried to cash the winning check in the days after his death.

Urooj Khan's brother, ImTiaz Khan, has alleged that Shabana Ansari attempted to claim the windfall 'shortly' after Urooj's death but was unable to do so.

ImTiaz Khan also claimed that his late brother and Shabana were not even married, meaning that she could miss out on half of the lottery prize to which she is entitled.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...1m-death-cyanide-poisoning.html#ixzz2HZuRRgee

From above link:

In another sign the family are tearing themselves apart, Urooj's sister Meraj Khan has launched a legal bid to take guardianship of his daughter Jasmeen from his first marriage.
Meraj wants custody of the 17-year-old even though she appears to have lived with step-mother Shabana at her home in Chicago for most of her life.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...1m-death-cyanide-poisoning.html#ixzz2HZv6P3zq

That's an understatement.
I hope police makes an arrest. This is quick acting poison so that should limit the pool of suspects.

I don't think they can make an arrest until they exhume the body and do a complete autopsy. Anybody know when that is supposed to happen? My understanding is it hasn't been done yet.

I don't think they can make an arrest until they exhume the body and do a complete autopsy. Anybody know when that is supposed to happen? My understanding is it hasn't been done yet.

In a couple of weeks they are supposedly going to exhume the body. But they already know the cause of death because of toxicology. I am not sure what the body is going to tell then now, especially considering it has been buried for quite some time.

EXCLUSIVE - 'I didn't do it': Wife of $1m lottery winner killed by cyanide denies any part in murder as police reveal she did NOT share his last curry

• Mr Khan, 46, died at Chicago home with his 32-year-old wife just weeks after winning $1million
  • Police source tells MailOnline that wife and his daughter Jasmeen, 17, did not touch the traditional Indian Kofta curry at his Chicago home
  • She tells MailOnline on Thursday that she 'doesn't want to talk about the meal'
  • She adds: 'My courage and he was my strength' and her lawyer says she has 'nothing to hide'
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ide-DID-NOT-eat-final-meal.html#ixzz2HcCQJcMv
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

It appears the widow is also the cousin of the victim. This article also claims that step-daughter and step mother weren't getting along all that well, and step-daughter is no longer living with the step-mother.

"A sore throat didn’t prevent Fareedun Ansari, 71, from emphasizing he had no involvement in the death of Urooj Khan, who was the son of Ansari’s older sister."
http://www.suntimes.com/news/174959...ies-involvement-in-lottery-winners-death.html

EXCLUSIVE - 'I didn't do it': Wife of $1m lottery winner killed by cyanide denies any part in murder as police reveal she did NOT share his last curry

• Mr Khan, 46, died at Chicago home with his 32-year-old wife just weeks after winning $1million
  • Police source tells MailOnline that wife and his daughter Jasmeen, 17, did not touch the traditional Indian Kofta curry at his Chicago home
  • She tells MailOnline on Thursday that she 'doesn't want to talk about the meal'
  • She adds: 'My courage and he was my strength' and her lawyer says she has 'nothing to hide'
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ide-DID-NOT-eat-final-meal.html#ixzz2HcCQJcMv
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

If it wasn't so sad, we'd be laughing. Wonder what she had for dinner that night? Lobster and champagne?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raja5367
Back