IL IL - Urooj Khan, 46, Chicago, 20 July 2012

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From Blondie's link:

Imtiaz Khan (the victims brother) said he remembers seeing Fareedun Ansari (the father-in-law)pacing back and forth on the day his brother won the lottery saying 'That lottery ticket was mine.'
He says Shabana Ansari (victim's wife) then tried to comfort him, saying 'Don't worry, Baba [father]. It will be yours.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sister-law-father-involved.html#ixzz2IqSA4TI2
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Just like in the song, "he won the lottery and died the next day."
His brother certainly made his suspicions clear.
I do hope authorities can figure it out, considering how badly they screwed up by not doing an autopsy immediately.

Just like in the song, "he won the lottery and died the next day."
His brother certainly made his suspicions clear.
I do hope authorities can figure it out, considering how badly they screwed up by not doing an autopsy immediately.

Hey, I like that song 'Ironic'!

This appears to be a sad murder case stemming from pure greed for money.

I think this brother is right. I suspect the wife of the lottery winner, and her debt-ridden father.

So. Cyanide. Who has access to cyanide?

Yeah that is what I was wondering. Perhaps they traveled overseas and it can be bought easily over there for some reason or another?

Other than boiling peach pits I don't think it is that easy to get in the U.S. these days.

As far as how long it takes I think a few minutes to several hours. Most of the folks that died from the tylenol cyanide poisonings took it and went to lie down and were found later. Thing is this guy only got $450k after taxes, the family was NOT super poor, doesn't seem like that check would be the only motive, even without the check his businesses were worth a fair amount one would think.

Other than boiling peach pits I don't think it is that easy to get in the U.S.

It's sold by chemical supplies companies. As for 450K being a small amount, people have been killed for a lot less.

Were I going to attempt this, I think I'd borrow from the Tylenol poisonings in Chicago toward the end of last century and at least claim to have bought that night's curry at a carry-out or as individual-portioned, heat-and-serve item at a grocery. Not sure of course if they had close access to either, but, if so, just save that receipt and at least one has a fall-back position - "It was poisoned before I even bought it!" Sounds weak, yes, but probably stronger than what the defense might be as of now.

Lets remember that if not for a relative complaining, this would have been ruled a natural death. So there really was no need for the elaborate plan.

A little foresight and one might imagine a relative might speak up. Plan ahead!!

Lets remember that if not for a relative complaining, this would have been ruled a natural death. So there really was no need for the elaborate plan.

Yeah if they had only opted for cremation they would have been in the clear! Wonder if there were religious prohibitions against cremation? Maybe the person that poisoned him did not call the shots regarding internment?

According to the poster familiar with this religion that posted on this thread, cremation was against religious beliefs.

My meanderings above were informed by George Orwell's essay 'Decline of the English Murder,' which in the main is concerned with the crime of poisoning, and the attendant - albeit hideous - craft involved, which separates it from, say, drive-by shootings; he mulls over just what it is that makes us want to read about such a thing (which is what, with our various links, we're doing on this thread, after all).
---
Having decided on murder, he should plan it all with the utmost cunning, and only slip up over some tiny unforeseeable detail. The means chosen should, of course, be poison.
---
In more than half the cases [which Orwell cites], the object was to get hold of a certain known sum of money such as a legacy or an insurance policy, but the amount involved was nearly always small. In most of the cases the crime only came to light slowly, as the result of careful investigations which started off with the suspicions of neighbours or relatives ....
---
But it is difficult to believe that this case [a post-war London crime involving almost random shootings] will be so long remembered as the old domestic poisoning dramas, product of a stable society where the all-prevailing hypocrisy did at least ensure that crimes as serious as murder should have strong emotions behind them.
---
http://www.netcharles.com/orwell/essays/decline-of-the-english-murder.htm

By the way there is a thread in crimes (spotlight on children) on a father accused of killing his young son. Potential motive-life insurance that was taken out on the child. The amount was close to what Mr. Khan won in lottery. 450K sure looks to me as plenty of money to provide someone with a motive.

Depending upon the dosage & time it was given, is it a possibility that some was placed on his toothbrush thus ensuring that only he was given the poison?

Poisoned Lotto Winner's Widow Said She Has Proof of Her Estate Claim

The widow of poisoned lottery winner Urooj Khan has presented documents purporting to show that most of Khan's estate belongs to her.

Al-Haroon Husain, an attorney for Khan's widow, Shabana Ansari, said Khan signed a document two months before his death, stating that his portion of his dry cleaning business would go to his wife if he died.

Signed May 2, this "operating agreement" presented to the probate court on Thursday indicates that two-thirds of Khan's estate would go to Ansari, Husain said. Khan reportedly did not have a will, Husain and Khan's siblings contend.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/poisoned-lotto-winners-widow-proof-stake-estate/story?id=18441474

Hmmm....I wonder how this will play out.....

From above link:

A copy of the 38-page document provided to ABC News appears to that an agreement between Khan and his business partner, Mohammed Shaker, included a clause that read: "Members shall transfer their interest to their respective spouse upon member's death."

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raquel222
Back