Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
attachment.php

In this picture, she said she just got back from some field? She wanted to be concentrated in "broad-spectrum biology"? What does that mean? I have no idea.

Attachments

• 0625_2.jpg
    0625_2.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 258
Heather, what was YingYing's user name for weibo? English translation? Please.

attachment.php

And this one.
She has only posted 3 times since coming to the US, on Weibo.

Attachments

• 0625_1 (1).jpg
    0625_1 (1).jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 229
Shoot i was thinking if we could figure out some user names of hers, maybe we could search them to see if she started any social media up upon entering America.

This is facing the corner she was on. What is interesting to me, is that there is an emergency box right there in the corner. They are all over campus. Makes me assume she didn't feel threatened before getting into the car. Otherwise she could have run over there and slapped the button before the person in the car could do anything.

Also, some posts have been saying she immediately walked up to the car in the video. Keep in mind that the speed of the video has been edited - it's all happening much quicker than it appears. I would not assume she knew the person in the car based on that.

Video of the area: https://youtu.be/7FGiDnMW5gk
ce8a8e8711295d86511456885c24d7f0.jpg

As an aside, many college campuses (including other big ten universities) are phasing these phones out. The "blue phone" maintenance cost is quite high. The reasoning is that nearly everyone has a cell phone. While true, their are examples of where they may be beneficial. Obviously, this would be one.

Campus is very quiet in summer. Most of the undergrads leave and and it's just faculty/staff and grad students there. Even some of the graduate programs break for summer and people go home or have internships.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

Forgot to ask this earlier: How many students would be on campus during the fall versus summer? I know in my state; the universities are typically much quieter but *not abandoned during the summer months.

Attachments

• 4193B6F000000578-4615600-image-a-10_1497968545577.jpg
    4193B6F000000578-4615600-image-a-10_1497968545577.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 219
<modsnip>

<modsnip> Her family's income is below average. Her dad is a farmer/taxi driver. <modsnip>

attachment.php

On April 26 9:10 PM (LOCAL TIME), she posted a picture on Wechat, saying: "I've settled down. It's so pretty, isn't it?" So I guess this was her residence. Unfortunately Wechat does not provide auto translate.

Attachments

• 4 26.jpg
    4 26.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 286
I don't see the red emblem on the front grill of the Astra that picked up Yingying. Does anyone else?

It's so tiny and blurry, I really can't see anything of detail. I see the place where the red Saturn Emblem should be and it does appear black with no trace of red but that could just be due to reflection and poor quality/far away pics. If the Emblem is missing that would be a huge clue, IMO.

It's so tiny and blurry, I really can't see anything of detail. I see the place where the red Saturn Emblem should be and it does appear black with no trace of red but that could just be due to reflection and poor quality/far away pics. If the Emblem is missing that would be a huge clue, IMO.
Exactly.

attachment.php

June 5, 8:45 PM

She wrote : "First day jogging in the US."
According to her best friend, Lisha Fang, their last conversation was near the end of May. Yingying said she was doing well.

Wechat does not work as traditional social media. To see her posts, you have to be her friend and make sure she does not block you. Strangers can't see her posts, so these were screenshots I've found online. I can't skim through her profile or posts either.

Attachments

• 6 5.JPEG
    6 5.JPEG
    18.9 KB · Views: 259
Always surprised in these cases, where a suspect vehicle model is known, that LE can&#8217;t immediately home in on a subset of &#8216;interesting persons&#8217;. In our digitally-interlocked world can&#8217;t a few questions, like the following, in a computer database produce a rank-ordered list in a few minutes for further inquiry?:

1) Black Saturn Astros registered in the central Illinois area (and from there outward in concentric circles)
2) BSA owners with criminal records (especially violent records)
3) male BSA owners under the age of say 60
4) any BSAs stolen recently
5) any BSAs put up for sale in last couple weeks

I realize there are LOTS of ways the answers to such searches could actually lead authorities astray, but still, you have to start somewhere. Perhaps such algorithms have been run and police just aren&#8217;t releasing any info or leads generated, hating to point fingers at innocent people &#8212; I&#8217;d think in 2-weeks time there could be a computer inventory of every black Astra in the country. Anybody know more about how this vehicle-tracing business works (or doesn&#8217;t work)?
Really hoping LE knows MUCH more than they&#8217;re saying, because they&#8217;re closing in on the perp and don&#8217;t want to spook him, but it&#8217;s been a long 2 wks.

I believe this is called CHIRP, if I recall correctly, but can't remember for sure as I am not from Illinois. But, that would only be useful as a database once an offender's name is known (similar to a state CJIS program, elsewhere).

1) FBI can do this in conjunction with the state DMV office. All digital items of potential or real evidentiary value in major cases can be addressed by a, "CART." For those unfamiliar; link: https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/piecing-together-digital-evidence

2) This is where NCIC and the local CJIS program (CHIRP, I'm fairly certain) come into play. This database is maintained by the FBI. You also mentioned, "especially violent records," in your post. Good news is that a database, VICAP (violent criminal apprehension), could be queried for this group of offenders. If you're unfamiliar; link: https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/piecing-together-digital-evidence

3) Easily accomplished in conjunction with the DMV.

4) This may take a little more work, dependent on if the stolen vehicle was entered into NCIC expeditiously.

5) BSAs for sale would take man hours. Obviously, searching classifieds in newspapers, webpages like Craig's List and other webpages could yield some results.

This car isn't common in my neck of the woods. It doesn't *sound like it is in other places, either? Largest clue we have thus far is that car though, I believe.

She wouldn't have used an emergency box because she didn't realize she was entering a dangerous person's car. She got into the car willingly, by her own choice, calmly and casually.

Personally, I could not agree more. This seems like the most likely scenario, in my mind.

attachment.php

On April 26 9:10 PM (LOCAL TIME), she posted a picture on Wechat, saying: "I've settled down. It's so pretty, isn't it?" So I guess this was her residence. Unfortunately Wechat does not provide auto translate.
Yes. That is Orchard Downs where she was living. The buildings are a bit dated but in a pleasant, quiet area. Orchard Downs is geared towards families whom have a parent working at or in graduate classes at the university. They have their own preschool on site and other amenities. I'm sure even being through the university, it's quite pricey.

At One North youll typically get a four bedroom apartment in a semi-gated community. It has a pool and clubhouse. The very convenient thing about this property is they do individual leases and roommate matching. So you don't rent an apartment, you rent a room in a four bedroom apartment. If the apartment you're in has an empty room, the leasing office can assign you a roommate. It is almost entirely 20-30 year old students.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members