Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #1 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What if she was waiting at the corner for a bus?

Yes I think that was her original plan. I don't really know the map but I think she was almost there at ONE NORTH, right? She was just a few miles from there. I think she got off the first bus because it would not reach her destination. So she got off, and waited for another one.

I don't want to break the rules; but, can anyone advise what they know about the webpage http://kantie.org? While researching, I discovered a page within the site on this case's victim. It includes numerous case related photos and screenshots. The reason I ask is: Somehow, someone got ahold of the records preservation request for the victim's social media page(s).

The site is written in what appears to be Mandarin.

I would post the link but I don't wish to violate TOS. If I may, let me know, moderators.

I've visited the two sites you've mentioned. There is not much new to see. I've uploaded some of her Wechat and Weibo posts with translations. I think they are in Page 49 or 50.

I'm going to take a shot at a theory, bear with me. Broad daylight, on a school day. This guy has tried to pick up on girls before, I AM GUESSING MIDDLE SCHOOL GIRLS. But, school is out and yet he still has his desire/compulsion. So, he heads towards the only "school still in session"...the college. Yingying is tiny and looks young, just his type. He already tried to get older/college girls in his car trying "the authoritative LE badge" hanging from his neck scenario....and it didn't work! The girls just said no, and walked away. He is still trolling the area (thinking a little desperate), because he has to get the car back or be back before the workday is complete. Hey, let's face it, these types still usually live with Mommy. He has already figured out the "authority schtick" doesn't work, so he turns on the smiling...."Hey, let me help you out, I'm going that way", blah, blah, blah ie "the extended conversation." BTW the stun gun scenario is very possible (smart WSers!)....and I think he lives close by, and drove into a residential garage. Otherwise, he would have already been seen on a lot of street cams. Not only that, he wouldn't want to pull up along side a higher suv/truck that could see someone slumped over in the seat.
Yingying is a smart girl, and if she had a chance, I think she would have thrown something out the window or dropped an item that was unique...a wallet, a piece of jewelry, (earring, bracelet, ring, necklace, a charm or pendant.. etc.). Can anyone local walk the path the vehicle was taking? (I know it is a lot to ask...but she might have had a minute or 2 to realize something wasn't right about the driver.) Good night and Prayers for Yingying. (And it is ok if my theory gets debunked in the morning...but this is the best I can come up with for now.)

Forgot to ask this earlier: How many students would be on campus during the fall versus summer? I know in my state; the universities are typically much quieter but *not abandoned during the summer months.

Illinois is not abandoned, but is typically a handful of undergraduate students, and then grad students and faculty. That being said, it is a popular time for faculty and grad students to take some time off or enjoy less rigid schedules due to less teaching or meeting responsibilities. I went to another Big Ten school for grad school, and the summers were truly glorious. Parking spots open everywhere, empty bars and restaurants, quiet apartment complexes... it is a much different place in the summer. During the school year our building would have constant streams of students and people, while in the summer, I would not see faculty and would only see the department staff and a handful of other graduate students. In my college town, there were many businesses on the main campus stretches that had to factor in the fact that their businesses were empty for 3 months.

While the campus empties out, there are usually summer camps or other activities hosted on campus and they sometimes occupy dorms or other spaces. They do not by any means repopulate the place as much as a full student body, but this can provide additional people around at times.

I did not intend to belittle or criticize your idea. I apologize that it came off that way.

I'm a full supporter of the undercover police theory and that she was chosen for her gender, appearance, size, etc...

But anything could have occurred. Hopefully one day it'll all come to light.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
No worries- I just wanted to make it clear that I didn't think I had solved this thing here with my random thought!

Everybody’s speculatin’ so I will too:
1) To explain the long conversation at start of the encounter, perhaps he pulled over and asked for directions (as is commonplace), and once he engaged Zhang for awhile offered to give her a ride.
2) Some have mused that he’s done this before, but also possible he’s just fantasized a LOT about doing it, and finally acted on impulse; may ‘have a thing’ for Asian females, or just looking for a petite, vulnerable-looking (alone) female.
3) He may be a ‘loser’ in relationships or in life/work in general, and seeks a feeling of ‘control’ or domination. The brazenness of doing this in broad daylight may be part of the excitement for him or just a compulsion — I doubt he even thought much about the possibility of cameras or witnesses, or even the amount of ensuing media attention.
4) Surely, by now, any friends, family, workers, might notice a change in his behavior/demeanor! Someone out there, an ex-girlfriend, acquaintance, or co-worker, knows him and knows he’s a little weird, and knows he drives a black Astra! Come forward!!

sidenote: in some ways this case reminds me of the murder of Annie Le at Yale almost a decade ago (hope outcome is different!); can’t help but wonder if the perp here will have similar profile to that 26-yr-old perp?

Nothing new, but mentions Yingying:

For cops, 'the motivation is the family'
Sun, 06/25/2017 - 7:00am | Mary Schenk

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2017-06-25/cops-motivation-family.html

I hope they're keeping pictures of the car in the local news. Someone who recognizes it is bound to see it. Since the car has been seen several times on campus prior to Yingying going missing, I'm thinking the perp is a local, or a student who lives off campus. Grad students tend to be very busy and don't have much time to watch the news. Are flyers posted around campus and in surrounding neighborhoods?

Re a black sedan approached a female in the morning on the same day Yingying disappeared, I believe that female told her parents and her parents called it into non emergency police. The police followed up on the call according to this blotter. I hope they have a good description of the man but if so then I'm curious why a sketch hasn't been released.

http://police.illinois.edu/crime-reporting/police-blotter/

At 2:28 p.m. June 12, University of Illinois Police investigators contacted a U. of I. student who reported she had been approached at 9:27 a.m. June 9 near Stoughton Street and Busey Avenue, Urbana, by a man in a black sedan who purported to be an undercover police officer and requested she get in the car. The student left the area. The incident had previously been reported to the Urbana Police Department.

And at the same link there's this:

At 2:07 p.m. Thursday, a U. of I. student reported that she had been harassed by a man in a vehicle. It was reported that a man in a white compact car began “cat calling” her and demanded she get in the vehicle in the 200 block of East John Street on June 11 and the 300 block of East Green Street on June 14. The student left the area both times.

Could it be the same guy? I wonder how many occurrences have been reported re someone trying to lure a student...

Ironic this is such a high profile case that happened on the very first weekend of CrimeCon less than a 2 hour drive away.

Re a black sedan approached a female in the morning on the same day Yingying disappeared, I believe that female told her parents and her parents called it into non emergency police. The police followed up on the call according to this blotter. I hope they have a good description of the man but if so then I'm curious why a sketch hasn't been released.

Could it be the same guy? I wonder how many occurrences have been reported re someone trying to lure a student...

Wondering if the approached females share any physical similarities ie. petite, Asian, long/short hair ect..?

Neither of these, nor Yingying's MP report, shows up in the Urbana crime reports. I wonder why...
https://www2.city.urbana.il.us/_Police_Media_Reports/

I've looked at the video Yingying getting in the Saturn a couple more times. That car is clean and by clean I mean I don't see anything that makes it stand out. No major damage to the car and with this video quality it would have to be major to be noticed. I can't see any bumper stickers or window decals. Again, with this quality of video we would not be able to read them, but we might at least see, say, a red or yellow bumper sticker or a diamond or square or oval window decal. I suppose there could be something there and it is too small for the camera to pick up. But it appears there is nothing noticeable about this vehicle to make it stand out.

I've looked at the video Yingying getting in the Saturn a couple more times. That car is clean and by clean I mean I don't see anything that makes it stand out. No major damage to the car and with this video quality it would have to be major to be noticed. I can't see any bumper stickers or window decals. Again, with this quality of video we would not be able to read them, but we might at least see, say, a red or yellow bumper sticker or a diamond or square or oval window decal. I suppose there could be something there and it is too small for the camera to pick up. But it appears there is nothing noticeable about this vehicle to make it stand out.

Wondering if the car has been borrowed from someone who does not drive it regularly, perhaps a senior who may not closely follow the news about missing students? speculation.

Wondering if the car has been borrowed from someone who does not drive it regularly, perhaps a senior who may not closely follow the news about missing students? speculation.

I've wondered that, too. OR house sitting for someone and the car is there with the car keys in the house. In that scenario, the owner may not have a clue their car was 'borrowed'.

Neither of these, nor Yingying's MP report, shows up in the Urbana crime reports. I wonder why...
https://www2.city.urbana.il.us/_Police_Media_Reports/
I also didn't find anything in the Champaign PD reports, but maybe I missed them while rushing through.
http://archive.ci.champaign.il.us/cpd-reports/

UOI crime log https://illinois.edu/blog/files/7512/518370/114886.pdf

Champaign County Sheriff log http://www1.co.champaign.il.us/sheriff/ARMSReports/CCSO9550.PDF

That was exactly my thought this morning. Borrowed his grandmothers car who could be very old, and doesn’t watch the news closely and returned it.

I think it’s someone from the area. They had to of known the best possible escape route through champaign. They had to of known that location was close to the interstate.

Also, he could have went right on university, from that location, it’s about 5-10 minute drive and your in rural urbana.

Did we ever learn who reported Yingying missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adr5879