Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #1 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In a choked voice, Zhang Ronggao, father of missing visiting scholar Zhang Yingying, expressed gratitude to all people involved in the search for his daughter, and pleaded with U.S. police to speed up the search.

In an interview with Xinhua through Wechat on Thursday, Zhang Ronggao said to his daughter: "Dad is waiting for you to come back."

The suspect is a white man who circled the area in the car on Friday afternoon before stopping to talk to Zhang, the FBI said.

As six days have passed since Zhang's kidnapping, it is possible that the suspect has gone to other U.S. states, the FBI said.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2017-06/16/c_136369234.htm

I wonder if she was calling for an uber and this male saw an opportunity to pretend to be the uber she might've called :(

This Caden is local for me, and it's not unheard of for people to pretend to be Uber's in this area. This is probably the 5th one this month!

I was looking at some Google Map footage from street level, and I saw a man on a corner getting into a car pulled over to the side of the road. And it made me realize that people probably wait for rides a lot in that area.

There have been so many east asian nationals going missing or being murdered after coming to the US lately. It makes me so sad for the families back home. Going to a foreign country is already scary, I can't imagine how I'd react if someone was impersonating a police officer and pulled up next to me. I wonder how good her english is?

"Updates on our search for a missing scholar"

June 15

"Police officials are urging that community members not misinterpret a lack of updates as a sign that no progress is being made. Dozens of police officers are working on the case, and the entire University of Illinois Police Department — as well as the Illinois State Police and FBI investigators working the case — are singularly focused on finding Ms. Zhang.

Although the investigation is moving forward very quickly, we are unable to comment on many specifics of the case both to protect the integrity of the investigation and make sure we can find Ms. Zhang as quickly as possible.

Detectives have used vehicle records to identify a number of registered owners of the type of vehicle in the video, and they continue to speak to those owners. Investigators continue to utlize image enhancing technology available through the FBI. Information about the search is being shared widely, reaching more than 1 million people on social media, on billboards throughout the state, and through media both locally and throughout the country. These are just a few of the things we are doing at this time.

We have received lots of questions about what volunteers can do to help. We encourage you to continue to share accurate information on social media and elsewhere, and consider printing and distributing this bulletin to local businesses and other highly-visible areas.

If you have any information, please call 911 or the University of Illinois Police Department at 217-333-1216. Non-emergency information may be emailed to police@illinois.edu. You can also share information anonymously by contacting Champaign County Crime Stoppers at 373tips.com, calling 217-373-TIPS (8477) or by downloading the P3 Tips mobile app (for iOS or Android)."
http://police.illinois.edu/search-updates/

I'm afraid I may be breaking the 10% copyright rule, but I hope this is allowed in this particular case since it is an official statement from LE.

Good to hear that they are making progress.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the investigators are not necessarily in dire need of information from the public. They are providing information on how to contact them with tips, but obtaining additional leads does not seem to be their top priority the way it often is in missing person cases, IMO.

I also find it interesting that the FBI classified the case as an abduction/kidnapping rather quickly. This makes me wonder if the perp has been in contact with LE somehow. I know it's something that rarely happens anymore -thank goodness-, but could this be financially motivated, as in the perp is asking for ransom or something else in exchange for Yingying's return? In that case, it would make more sense for the perp to go after a child -perhaps from a wealthy family-, though. Another possibility I've thought of is someone was holding a grudge against her because of something related to her research work, like a colleague at UI or anyone working in the same academic field anywhere.

But then the way she was snatched away seems so random.

In any case, I hope today is going to be the day Yingying is found. Again, I really feel the time of the essence here.

[video=twitter;875737642750443520]https://twitter.com/FBIMostWanted/status/875737642750443520[/video]

[video=twitter;875811234418802688]https://twitter.com/FBISpringfield/status/875811234418802688[/video]

see the red car in the background which is not far from the bus stop
attachment.php

Attachments

• v2-e4c84719d3c47db3d23fe3b869a7be11_b.jpg
    v2-e4c84719d3c47db3d23fe3b869a7be11_b.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 480
<modsnip>

I was trying to figure out how somebody would go about committing a kidnapping like this. It would seem difficult to hold the girl with a weapon like a gun or a knife while also driving, especially in daylight. Perhaps he used chloroform or something like that to knock her out?

[video=youtube;I-mWC6WezBs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-mWC6WezBs[/video]

She was last seen on Friday, June 9, 2017, in Urbana, Illinois. Security cameras captured her getting into a car at the corner of West Clark Street and North Goodwin Avenue around 2:04 p.m. that day.

The suspect's vehicle is described as a black Saturn Astra four-door hatchback. It appeared to be driven by a White male, and circled the area prior to making contact with Zhang.

https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/yingying-zhang

the guy started the car a few seconds after she got into car, chloroform can't knock her down so quickly while he was driving at the same time.
stun gun or taser is possible

another possibility is when she entered the car with head lower, he grabbed her head or hair and suddenly hit on dashboard or cupboard, knocked her out.

anyway, this guy is very well prepared, determined and cold blood.

<modsnip>

I was trying to figure out how somebody would go about committing a kidnapping like this. It would seem difficult to hold the girl with a weapon like a gun or a knife while also driving, especially in daylight. Perhaps he used chloroform or something like that to knock her out?

Wow. This case is getting so little attention.
I just watched the FBI video and feel really awful about this. Time is of the essence.
When I enlarged & slowed the video and replayed it, I did see a young white male driving. But I am kind of surprised that LE hasn't already altered the heck out of the images to get a plate #.
I'm following now, this one has me worried and creeped out.
Are there any similar crimes discovered locally?
This cant be this guys first crime, could it?

jmo

the guy started the car a few seconds after she got into car, chloroform can't knock her down so quickly while he was driving at the same time.
stun gun or taser is possible

another possibility is when she entered the car with head lower, he grabbed her head or hair and suddenly hit on dashboard or cupboard, knocked her out.

anyway, this guy is very well prepared, determined and cold blood.

I looked at the video you referenced closely and might try to do some photoshopping on my own tomorrow. Thanks for your ideas-observations.
Yes, it does seem like he knocks her out somehow very quickly. The video is pretty clear, just enlarging it on my monitor.
Another thought I had, but unlikely, is there was another perp in the back. (probably not)
This guy is cold, and in broad daylight with quite a bit of traffic/activity going on imo.

jmo

Because she may not speak English well I don't think he would even have to knock her out right away. He could just drive and act like he wasn't understanding her if she pointed out they were going in the wrong direction. Or he could tell her she is wrong on her directions and he knows a better way. She was probably very naive about stranger danger in the US. Very sad situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adr5879