Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #3 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Silly question maybe but is he being tried for murder? Or kidnapping alone? Does kidnapping alone carry a life sentence? I'm from the UK so my US legal knowledge is patchy to say the least.

He is currently being charged with kidnapping which can carry a life sentence in the U.S.

yeah and I don't want to know even the details you're privy to
I mean, who knew these things existed and that so many people are into it?
blech

Tricia will be making a decision about what is allowed for discussion regarding FetLife. It is relevant to this case, but the focus should be on what BC may have been doing on FetLife, not what people who have not been charged with crimes may or may not be doing on FetLife. That falls into the category of none of our business and not relevant to this case.

A few questions:

1) Am I right that no plea was entered at this hearing? And if not, is a plea expected at the July 5 hearing?
Someone posted yesterday that he was going to plead innocent to all charges, but I don’t recall how they sourced that info?
2) Was BC represented by a personal lawyer or public defender at this hearing?
3) Will ask again if anyone has seen ANYthing about a search for YZ’s body happening ANYwhere?

Based on this article, it looks like the 5th will be a detention hearing in which the bond will be set. The article mentions that a law firm is representing BC, am I correct that that means he is not being represented by a public defender?

It's good to see such a large crowd coming out to support Yingying.

Even if there were no other evidence found, I think a jury would convict on the kidnapping charge, based on his admission that he picked her up, and then whatever the audio turns out to be. It's so blindingly obvious what his intentions were and what must have happened, and juries want justice, not to let someone off because of some very unlikely scenario that might possibly have happened. For example, if she had panicked in the car and he had let her out, what's the likelihood she wouldn't immediately use her phone, they must have evidence about it. Or the likelihood she'd trust yet another stranger.

And with the audio recording, he was a PhD candidate in physics, not mentally challenged, or a compulsive liar, or otherwise someone who doesn't know the difference between fantasy and reality. People have been convicted when they admitted their crime to a jailhouse cellmate, in this case they have his actual words. I think the standards of justice demand that when the prime suspect admits, without coercion, that he did in fact commit the crime, the system is going to take him at his word!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Tricia will be making a decision about what is allowed for discussion regarding FetLife. It is relevant to this case, but the focus should be on what BC may have been doing on FetLife, not what people who have not been charged with crimes may or may not be doing on FetLife. That falls into the category of none of our business and not relevant to this case.

Tricia and I are collaborating on this today. Hopefully I'll have a robust post this evening.

I've been thinking along these same lines. For someone who is so academically intelligent (it seems), BC made a lot of very stupid mistakes in this case, especially not cleaning up evidence after the fact.

Sure he tried to clean out the car extensively, but he left it parked in his own apartment complex. Why not hide it? Park it somewhere strange that leads away from you? IMO part of this is his ego talking - he really didn't expect to get caught and thought he could explain things away if / when confronted.

But if my theory is correct that he borrowed the car from the other resident (who consented to the car search btw- can you consent to a search of a car in your apartment's lot if you don't own it??), I believe BC couldn't hide the car without having to explain that to the other resident. I believe he needed to hide it in plain sight and maybe even hoped that this other person would drive the car, covering some evidence that could've been there.

All my own speculation and opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The car was registered to BC per the criminal complaint, so it didn't belong to anyone else. Once the video was released and showed an Astra, since it was registered in his name and LE would no doubt find out, he was smarter to clean the car and hope for the best than to start acting suspiciously, e.g., parking the car at another location which would have suggested he had something to hide.

[video=twitter;881916971427799045]https://twitter.com/meghananndwyer/status/881916971427799045[/video]

[video=twitter;881907097159557124]https://twitter.com/WCIA3Kaitlyn/status/881907097159557124[/video]

[video=twitter;881923948354703360]https://twitter.com/ngphotostaff/status/881923948354703360[/video]

Long asked Christensen's attorney, Evan Bruno of the Urbana-based Bruno Law Firm, whether he was ready to take a stand on bail.

When Bruno asked for a few days, Long set a detention hearing for 3 p.m. Wednesday. At that time, bond will be determined.

Talking with reporters outside the courthouse, Bruno said he'd met with his client a few times but "this case is very young and we haven't had a really full opportunity to develop everything yet.”

Bruno emphasized the importance of maintaining a presumption of innocence for his client, adding: “My job is to make sure that happens."

"There's a long road ahead. I encourage everyone to be patient, to keep an open mind, wait 'til the evidence comes in," Bruno said.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/lo...e-back-court-wednesday-detention-hearing.html

This article has some interesting comments from BC's attorney.... http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...tudent-abduction-met-0704-20170703-story.html

From your link:

"This is a case that a lot of people have been following," Bruno said after the hearing. "There's a lot going on in this case, and a lot of people have made up their minds about what happens. Now is the point in time where a lot of really good, really old laws kick in to make sure that the process is fair, to make sure the presumption of innocence is maintained while these proceedings occur."

"My job is to make sure that happens," he said. "I encourage everyone to be patient, to keep an open mind, to wait until the evidence comes in. At this point we're very early on in the case and as long as everyone keeps an open mind, listens to the evidence and doesn't jump to conclusions, I think that will be for the best."

On thread #2, someone estimated Christensen to have been online until right before his arrest, based on the information ("Last Online") from his Steam profile.

Could he have "confessed" to someone he had been voice-chatting with over Steam? Perhaps he thought no one would be able to figure out who they were talking to, so he let it slip?

If he was using a relatively long-range wireless headset in particular, it probably wouldn't have been that difficult for the FBI to eavesdrop on the conversation, without having to bug the whole apartment or having someone wear a wire.

As a fellow Steam user, I'll add that if you're logged in that doesn't necessarily mean you are actively playing or using the account. It's not much different than leaving Facebook open. So he could have just left the program open on his computer and not necessarily using it. Though, I think his account did show recent gaming activity.

<modsnip>

The car was registered to BC per the criminal complaint, so it didn't belong to anyone else. Once the video was released and showed an Astra, since it was registered in his name and LE would no doubt find out, he was smarter to clean the car and hope for the best than to start acting suspiciously, e.g., parking the car at another location which would have suggested he had something to hide.

It is so hard to find parking in Chambana that I think he would have had more problems doing that then as one person said leaving it in plain sight.

All I keep thinking is Yingying was right to be so cautious. This was probably one of only a handful of times she let her guard down and it was because she was trying to do the right thing (not be late to an app't).
Maybe she was in a hurry because she wanted to get back to work, and not as much not wanting to be late for lease signing.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

As a fellow Steam user, I'll add that if you're logged in that doesn't necessarily mean you are actively playing or using the account. It's not much different than leaving Facebook open. So he could have just left the program open on his computer and not necessarily using it. Though, I think his account did show recent gaming activity.

<modsnip>

Regarding Steam activity: I'm not expert, but I believe the achievements timestamps listed imply that he was actively playing.

<modsnip>

I find it VERY curious that there were no names in the complaint! Usually, full names and relationships are given. I can only guess, but I feel like they have reason to proactively conceal the identity of the very helpful other occupant. Maybe this other occupant facilitated access to the audio recorded storytelling/confession.

Has there been any reports of searches going on or plan to happen for Yingying? Tia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member