Yellow: One North, YZ future apartment

Red: Abduction area

Purple: Stonegate Apartments, BC apartment

Gray: Gym, BC frequented near daily in the early morning

Teal: Campus Main Quad area

Blue: downtown Champaign area, includes Illinois Terminal
3367aecec935d1c07fbd23020b172604.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The campus maps are easier to navigate for me, and provide info not necessarily "identified by google maps." Did anyone notice that directly North of the Loomis Physics building is a "water way" (seasonal, dry or diverted) and it runs through the middle of the entire campus. It is called (Oh the irony) BONEYARD CREEK. Can any locals tell us the history of that name? Are there any large cement pipe drainage/diversion ponds for excess run-off.
http://illinois.edu/map/view?deviceMode=mobile

http://www.wenkla.com/files/4414/6076/0941/BoneyardCreek_ProjectImages.jpg

Nope, just what was read aloud in court and what BC has told them

Thank you.

So is it the norm that he/his lawyers announce his plea some time before the preliminary hearing?

I'm just puzzled why this has been announced today, what is the reason?

Boneyard creek is named that because when the original settlers arrived at the creek they found animal bones scattered everywhere from the local Kickapoo Indians seasonal hunting spot

I felt more like he was telling that as a sort of guilt trip as to what he should have done. He knew he still had a chance to let it all go if he would have dropped her off when she started panicking, ("Ooops. Missed your stop. Alright, I'll let you out.") But, instead he went through with it. It keeps going through his head, that he should have/could have just let her out at that moment.

Interesting take. I hadn't thought of that. It might have even crossed his mind at the time to stop and let her out, but he suppressed it. Yeah, I bet he wished he had when he realized there were cameras recording.

Also, to add the post about pleading not guilty, this is also an important move to enable the client to perhaps bargain later on. For example, to plead guilty to a lesser charge in exchange for information about where the remains are. This would be more likely in a case where a domestic dispute led to the death, very unlikely I think, in this case of abduction of a stanger.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

The campus maps are easier to navigate for me, and provide info not necessarily "identified by google maps." Did anyone notice that directly North of the Loomis Physics building is a "water way" (seasonal, dry or diverted) and it runs through the middle of the entire campus. It is called (Oh the irony) BONEYARD CREEK. Can any locals tell us the history of that name? Are there any large cement pipe drainage/diversion ponds for excess run-off.
http://illinois.edu/map/view?deviceMode=mobile
http://www.news-gazette.com/blogs/voice-vote/2011-04/why-it-called-boneyard-creek.html

Boneyard Creek

Defense lawyers normally advise clients to plead not guilty: it's based on the legal principal of 'innocent until proven guilty'. I don't think they ask whether the client did it or not, or try to figure that out. Their job is to ensure their client gets a fair trial.

They'll often just take a passive stance and see if the prosecution can supply sufficient evidence to persuade the court to find the client guilty. They'll try to cast doubt on the validity of the evidence in a court of law, which might be eg were the proper warrants in place for the wiretapping, again more about technicalities. They may not offer any coherent alternative scenario at all, since they can't usually supply proof, they'll just try to discredit the case the prosecution presents.

The lawyer won't have seen any evidence yet, that comes after the trial date is set. Lawyers have many clients on the go, and at this stage won't be dedicating much time to the case.

I wonder if it means that there was no physical evidence in the apt., then? Because if there was, in addition to the circumstantial, no jury nowhere would have reasonable doubt and why not just plead guilty, give up the body location, and strike whatever paltry deal they could? Or do you mean his attorney hasnt actually been informed of the evidence to date?

I never heard of them burying heir dead in the sacks, I heard they hung them from trees until they fell, usually took about 40 days, the souls walked the earth during this time tying up loose ends

Defense lawyers normally advise clients to plead not guilty: it's based on the legal principal of 'innocent until proven guilty'. I don't think they ask whether the client did it or not, or try to figure that out. Their job is to ensure their client gets a fair trial.

They'll often just take a passive stance and see if the prosecution can supply sufficient evidence to persuade the court to find the client guilty. They'll try to cast doubt on the validity of the evidence in a court of law, which might be eg were the proper warrants in place for the wiretapping, again more about technicalities. They may not offer any coherent alternative scenario at all, since they can't usually supply proof, they'll just try to discredit the case the prosecution presents.

The lawyer won't have seen any evidence yet, that comes after the trial date is set. Lawyers have many clients on the go, and at this stage won't be dedicating much time to the case.

Adding to your good information, in addition to seeing that the client gets a "fair trial", they will also work toward getting their client the lowest possible punishment, or work for a life sentence over a death penalty.

.... former University of Illinois graduate student Brendt Christensen was charged with kidnapping and informed that, if convicted, he faces a sentence of life in prison or, if the prosecution can prove the victim was killed, either mandatory life in prison or death.
http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2017-07-04/jim-dey-not-much-see-inside-federal-courtroom.html

Marking my spot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THANKS to all the legal folks chiming in with their knowledge about preliminary pleas & pre-trial disclosure. So do I understand then that right now the defense lawyers probably only know the same as all of us do (public knowledge), plus whatever their client has said to them? Same for prosecutor or might they have more info from LE already? Will info eventually disclosed to defense team, also be disclosed to public, or not necessarily?

"My client is presumed innocent and he's maintained his innocence," Bruno told ABC News. "There is a reason why we have a criminal justice system and it's to make sure that people have a fair process."

"A lot of the information that has been available to the media has been information that was provided in an FBI affidavit to try to establish probable cause that a crime was committed," Bruno added. "There’s a lot more information out there that the public has yet to become aware of, and until the process has played out, I would caution anyone to [avoid jumping] to conclusions about what did or didn’t happen."

I'm sure we are all looking forward to hearing this other information!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/university-illinois-kidnapping-suspect-due-court/story?id=48447772

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed, 07/05/2017 - 4:08pm

— While under surveillance during a Thursday vigil for Ms. Zhang outside Krannert Center for the Performing Arts, Christensen allegedly explained the “characteristics of an ideal victim.”

— He was allegedly captured on a recording picking out other potential victims at that same public vigil.

— There also exists audio of Christensen describing how he kidnapped Ms. Zhang and how she "fought and resisted" when he brought her back to his Champaign apartment.

— He made a threat to the safety of another person to whom he provided incriminating information.

"The facts speak to the very danger the defendant presents to the community," Freres said. "The circumstances of the case indicate the defendant used violence."

Freres also noted that Ms. Zhang has not been found.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/lo...edly-described-characteristics-ideal-victim-v

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]This is from the family's lawyer in a CBS News video:

"No one [LE] told them [Yingying's family] it's 100%, and no one told them we have the body yet. They believe in their minds Yingying may still be alive somewhere."

[/FONT][/FONT]
http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/fate-of-missing-chinese-scholar-remains-unclear/[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]

[/FONT][/FONT]

I feel very badly for her family and all who love her ..... lurching from hope to despair , and back again.
Has to be hell for them !!!

Did they have candles or info cards with her pic for vigil? It came out of backpack to easy plus dont see him push buttons or screen..or adjust phone to view..

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Champaign-Urbana

Orange: Orchard Downs, YZ current apartment

Yellow: One North, YZ future apartment

Red: Abduction area

Purple: Stonegate Apartments, BC apartment

Gray: Gym, BC frequented near daily in the early morning

Teal: Campus Main Quad area

Blue: downtown Champaign area, includes Illinois Terminal
3367aecec935d1c07fbd23020b172604.jpg

How do you do that drawing- on - the - map thing?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

How do you do that drawing- on - the - map thing?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

On a PC, you can take a screenshot with the Snipping Tool that comes free with Windows. Once the screenshot is taken, you will see pen tools in the top menu--you can choose highlight or pen and whatever color you want to use for each circle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro